[Feature Released in Version 10.2] Ability to add Tags in the Web Clipper

Uknotes

Idea

31 replies to this idea

I'll loudly echo the comments on adding tags back into the app.  As a  very long-time Evernote user (since paper scroll metaphor) I'm concerned a new version was released that eliminated a good existing feature.  That seems to have been a fail in design and development.  App management needs to be cognizant of that problem.

Also lost was the auto-fill of the title of an article or item being clipped that worked 90%of the time.  That's a great feature and should not have disappeared.

I'll also put in an ask for the ability to replicate the type of clip that is made, as is done in the OS X (and I assume Windows) Webclipper, where a choice can be made if it is to be a bookmark, full page, article, simpiflied article, or PDF.

So as long as your are looking at replacing the pre-existing functionality, how about a shot at adding to it? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

+1,000

The latest iOS version is a train wreck. I’ve used Evernote for 12 years and cannot believe this massive leap backwards. 

We lost THREE valuable features for clipping/sending-to:

1) subject/title of original content no longer populates into new note

2) ability to tag clipped content at moment of clipping had been removed

3) the UX to change destination notebooks is now more cumbersome 

Unconscionable   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Level 5

There never was a real „clipper“ on iOS like on Safari (or other browsers) on a desktop. The real clipper is a browser extension / add-on, a piece of independent software embedded into the host browser.

On iOS it is the „share“ function that is used, and here the ability to create a tag needs some coding.

What hit me more is the removal of iOS shortcuts. There existed a shortcut that in fact worked like a real web clipper, by executing a series of commands that often clipped a difficult web site in good quality. When v10 iOS was released, all shortcuts stopped working, so this shortcuts clipper was removed as collateral damage. Very disappointing !

• Level 5

Hi All,

This feature has now been added in our newest update, Version 10.4.

Learn more about 10.4 here:

I will now be closing this thread.

If you have questions, or other ideas/feature requests, please start a new thread.

• Thanks 1

The ios Web Clipper used to give you the ability to assign tags while clipping. On version 10 of the ios app that functionality had been removed which causes me an extra step in my workflow to go back into the app after its been clipped to add the tags. Will this functionality be restored into the ios app?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5

@Jaya Shekarraju Well, nice, would appreciate.

What would be of a stronger interest to me is when will good quality clipping become possible again with iOS ? The clipping in iOS never was good, but there was this iOS shortcut (by EN ?) that did a pretty good job on that. Since shortcuts do not work any longer, this option is gone.

I don’t need to tag if the clipped page is broken and unusable for me.

• Like 1

The loss of the ability to add tags while clipping on my iPad makes EN virtually unusable for me. I depend on Evernote and would hate to have to abandon it, but I’ll be forced to do so, if this functionality isn’t restored pronto. Additionally, a big annoyance is that the first letter of a new line in a note - a list, say - is now lower case by default. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I HATE this new version of Evernote. Removal of clipping options and tagging ability, no "simplify formatting," its SLOW, and..... I just paid for another year in July. It's expensive and replaceable, mostly, but sharing note/books is important and it does that. At this point, I'm going to start looking for a replacement again. It's mostly unusable. Don't get me wrong - there are some things that are better, I can see tags in a note without needing to open it up - but I didn't really need that. 

I'm supposed to update my Mac, also? No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Very simple: It was removed because the release 10 of EN iOS is not a complete software. It is a work in progress. Nobody knows for sure why they decided to release this minimal and bug infested version. But now it is there, and I hope they continue to sort things out by releasing new, improved versions. 10.1. is already looking better than all the 10.0.x releases.

Setting of tags in the share box is said to return, no date known.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:36 PM, Jaya Shekarraju said:

@Shakespeare212We are working on adding the tags functionality to clipping, and you should see this in the coming releases. 

Like so many others, I clip web content on a daily basis, what a waste of time. Tagging is a CRITICAL features for a product that curates content. How anyone authorized deployment without this feature is beyond comprehension.

You could have opted for an INTERNAL delivery.

On 11/2/2020 at 5:36 PM, Jaya Shekarraju said:

@Shakespeare212We are working on adding the tags functionality to clipping, and you should see this in the coming releases. 

Agree it’s both surprising and disappointing that you would release a new version without the ability to add tags when clipping-this represents a major loss of functionality and means that a separate tagging effort has to be made. Do you ask your customers what their needs are before rushing out a new product?!

On 10/30/2020 at 8:07 PM, Marko said:

+1,000

The latest iOS version is a train wreck. I’ve used Evernote for 12 years and cannot believe this massive leap backwards. 

We lost THREE valuable features for clipping/sending-to:

1) subject/title of original content no longer populates into new note

2) ability to tag clipped content at moment of clipping had been removed

3) the UX to change destination notebooks is now more cumbersome 

Unconscionable   

Exactly. Anyone else feel like Evernote is the worst girlfriend you ever had? I just love her so much, but alas, she just loves breaking my heart. Usability down 50% for me. Re: #3 above, it took me forever to even realize that the ability to change notebooks still existed. UI is a total miss on this one, Evernote team. How do I downgrade to previous version? I’ve been waiting years for the ability to manage tags on iOS: now I can’t even access them... 

Ditto to all of the above.  Now evaluating alternatives for all our users as the core functionality that made this product once so useable is no longer there.  Clearly the company does not listen to customers.  How can you roll out a new version that is many steps backward in functionality and trumpet this is a great new version.  This release has done more harm to the value proposition than anything I can imagine.  As a guest lecturer at well known business schools, this will make for a great case study in the utter value destruction product managers and leaders can do to a once great brand and product.  The long term cost of alienating your most supportive users will be much greater than anyone at Evernote expected.

Fix this issue now, before too many power users leave for greener pastures - from which they will not return ever.