Errors/Issues with notes created via Share Sheet

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

@Shane D. -- I'm getting far too many "Error syncing note due to an error during file upload"   numerous of these a day... workflow to trigger these is typically marking up a screen shot on ipad, sharing that screen shot via 'share sheet' on ipad to Evernote.      Go into Evernote app, force a sync, and then computer (windows) force a sync - and get this error.

Seems unrecoverable and I have to try the entire process again on ipad.  Please pass along to the dev team!

I haven't been able to consistently duplicate the problem... but "not knowing" when it is going to happen pretty much makes the functionality of sharing a screen shot into Evernote useless as you could end up losing the screenshot. 

ScreenClip.png.a6d5cec198dcc73c05bbe95c1493cd07.png

Writing to report the same error. Also, for some unknown reason the title I gave to the shared to evernote note is the title I gave to another note i shared earlier but had the “error syncing” notice.

• Ex Employees

Thanks everyone for reporting this. For sharing multiple screenshots causing the "error syncing" notice, we're aware of this and working on a fix. If there are any other specific circumstances that you notice can cause the "error syncing" notice, please do let us know.

This simply doesn't work.  When I tap the Share button, then select Evernote as the target, I see a panel pop up that says "Tap here to add title" - but I was quite happy with the titles that Evernote's Clipper used to put in there most of the time.  I don't want to be typing in titles when I'm saving clipped notes on the fly.  Then I tap on "Save".  Then the panel just disappears after telling me that the clip will sync with Evernote next time I open Evernote on this device (both iPhone and iPad Pro, both running iOS14).

But NOTHING goes into Evernote.  I've tried it from Safari, and from Flipboard, my two main sources of clips, and in neither of them does the clipper work.  It just doesn't do anything.  Nothing appears in Evernote, on the same device, even when I open Evernote immediately after "clipping".

What has happened to the clipper?  It has been working just fine for years, and now it is completely broken.

I won't be updating to a new version of Evernote on my Macs when it comes out, that's for sure - my current version 7 has been working flawlessly for years, with no updates.

Is this a bug in the new iOS Evernote, or a problem with iOS14, or a combination of both?

• Like 2

I sometimes share my location from Apple Maps to Evernote, as a check-in log. This used to work fine. Something really strange happens when I try to do it with 10.0: the new note with location never shows up. Instead, every time I manually sync (pull the note list down) I’m directed to this location In the Maps App

yep, me too. 

Interestingly, news articles I clip in iPad OS or IOS sync (although web clipper doesn't capture the title of the article before saving, it does save it with the correct title), any new note that I create in iPad OS or IOS will not sync. 

The reverse is not true, however.  If I create a note in MAC OS, it will sync in iPad OS and in IOS. 

Evernote web has been hosed for me for awhile now (Firefox, Safari or Chrome).  It starts to convert to a new format and then hangs.  So I can't tell if the new iPad note is actually making it to the server. 

• Level 5*
On 9/18/2020 at 4:34 PM, NightStalker said:

But NOTHING goes into Evernote.  I've tried it from Safari

Share web clipping works for me - a note is created (eventually)

Same as with @NightStalker:

when I try to clip web-content via sharing with evernote I get a popup panel where I am asked for the titel of the new note in an empty title field. (Titel of content as suggest would be better...). after finishing this action I get a success message which tells me to wait for up to some  minutes.

But at the end the clipped content doesnˋt show up in evenote.... No difference if I clip in safari or in chrome...

Sorry, now literally a couple of minutes later I have to correct myself: The clipped content found its way to my evernote inbox, but much to slow and not allways complete:

My test clippings seemed to need up to at least 5 minutes. This is much slower than with version 8. That just feels like „not working...“

• Level 5
  • Solution

Hi All,

It looks like we had a few threads related to the same issue, so I've merged them all here in order to better enable us to quantify the number of users experiencing it.

We'll follow-up here once we have more information.

3 hours ago, Shane D. said:

@NightStalker @Rob van Vliet @stu_ck
Hey All,

I'm further investigating into this issue.

To clarify, when you're sharing to Evernote, you're using the Share Sheet, correct?

Or, are you using a native share feature in your apps in order to share to Evernote?

In (Apple) maps tap a location, then tap share, select Evernote. Looks like EN doesn’t sync properly once you try this, so be careful 

• Level 5*
On 9/20/2020 at 11:57 AM, Rob van Vliet said:

In (Apple) maps tap a location, then tap share, select Evernote. Looks like EN doesn’t sync properly once you try this, so be careful 

I can replicate this.    
The maps data got shared,  and back in Evernote after a couple of minutes gets loaded    
However, there's  no note - it immediately launched Apple Maps

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/20/2020 at 3:35 PM, DTLow said:

The maps data got shared,  and back in Evernote after a couple of minutes gets loaded    
However, there's  no note - it immediately launched Apple Maps

And this continues at random times - launched into Apple Maps    
I can"t turn it off   
Ticket# 3160606

edit: solved by app delete/reinstall

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I've encountered the dreaded missing 'share to Evernote' items
I opened Evernote and waited patiently - no import   
I finally rebooted my iPad and all the missing shares started importing

gosh, I never thought I'd say that, but can we please go back to the old set of apps on ios, mac & windows? while their features hadn't changed in years at least they were working.

anyways, when sharing a picture (through the IOS share menu) with evernote, it does not show up within evernote. have been validating this with both safari as well as tweetbot...if I am not mistaken this has worked before though...or maybe I just didn't check and lost plenty of notes. interestingly the evernote app confirms the sharing has worked, when it clearly hasn't

• Level 5*

Hi.  V10 is being improved on, but still lacks a lot of classic features. In Windows / Mac and (from a repository site) Android it's possible to step back to the previous version. iOS updates aren't (yet) reversible. Desktops can run the legacy app alongside v10 so you can try out the new app but use legacy when you need to. This is the desktop link - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314 

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue on iOS 14.1 and Evernote 10.1, where the "send to" or "share to" option in some aplications ( banking app ) brought up the Evernote clipper, let put in a title and select the notebook, gives the message that "sync happens later"... but never happens.

I removed evernote now, rebooted the iPhone and reinstalled Evernote and works now ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...