Apple Watch Support

MissArdbeg

Idea

58 replies to this idea

Quite a no go in software development in my opinion. No prior warning and no possibility - was far as I know - to switch back to pre V10 with Apple Watch support. What the ++++ really?

My wife literally bought an Apple Watch 10 days ago mainly for quick note tacking in Evernote without having to use her smartphone every time in front of your small daughter. Should the now best Cancel premium and send back the watch?

Do you have any eta on the new watch os App for Evernote?

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

I have the same question. I updated yesterday and just went to add a note on my Apple Watch to find the Evernote app had disappeared. Very disappointing that there was no warning. I have been a premium member since 2013, but I am seriously thinking of switching to another program with Apple Watch support if this isn’t added back soon.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

As tasks is being developped more and more by EN, I would like to have the ability to add them by voice on the Watch. It would be very useful (I already use it on another app called Nozbe and it works perfectly with an complication).
If EN can add this when they will restore the Watch app...

• Like 1
On 2/11/2022 at 4:11 PM, PinkElephant said:

If I were a Podcaster and had to fill my weekly hour, I would talk about whatever crosses my mind as well.

The reason is probably much simpler: The new clients both for desktop and mobile are offering a unified experience. Good for starters, but they axed ALL special devices support to make this happen. The Watch app disappeared, the iPad is not supported, same with pen devices on the Android side, and Windows tablet users have a problem because the desktop app is not provisioning for the use of a pencil or a touchscreen .

This is the base line: An app build for a unified experience, avoiding all platform specific properties. Not unfounded Podcaster gossip …

"probably much simpler?" sounds like unfounded gossip too wouldn't you say? I was looking to spark a discussion and see if there were any other sources for why the EN app hasn't returned. I too am frustrated as I used the app on my watch. You don't need such negativity when we are in this together.

This is the source/podcast that I was listening to if you are invested in the full context I was trying to convey.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/11/apple-watch-apps-abandonment/

9 minutes ago, aaronbrownsound said:

Looks very useful, but one review says there are no widgets. Does it have complications? 

Yes, it has complications. And it has widgets for the iPhone/iPad home screen as well. But the app is really just for creating notes, it does not display notes. The Apple Watch app is very simple. As soon as it has been opened you can use the watch default input to put in text (dictation, scribble or the mini keyboard on Series 7). The input note is then automatically saved in the default notebook of Evernote. That's all. As far as I know this is the only existing and working Evernote Apple Watch app.

BTW, all this was already discussed in that thread: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/141439-apple-watch-shortcut/

I will chime in here with the addition of the iMessage feature being gone is not cool either. I know that they will probably be coming in a future update, but as others have said in the thread, there should have been a warning for sure.  I use EN on my watch all the time for quick audio notes I share with my medical team. So much easier than typing especially since I have an issue with hand tremors as of late.

When I realized it was gone I had to come up with a quick workaround until more information is shared about the fate of those two features. I have replaced the Evernote complication on my watch with Voice memos and at the end of every day I figure I'll just go through and catalogue them and send a copy to EN.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

As a workaround: Try JustPressRecord. Works fine on the watch and other I-devices. It has a very good transcription (even for non-English users) and allows to keep the original audio file plus the transcription side by side. This is helpful if for example you dictate something and want to be able to go back to audio to check on the transcript later. Sometimes you may dictate something critical, like exact numbers and want to double check.

It moves content to EN by sharing !

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dr Harrison said:

Was the Apple Watch Feature permanently removed with the IOS update 

Allegedly "temporarily" removed.   Sure hope it comes back soon.. but then, there are more than enough other problems that need immediate fixing in the iOS release.

• Like 1
55 分鐘前, Josef1977說:

This is a joke. Iwatch app gone and iPad app does not work with pencil anymore! What is Evernote doing?? 

I do not have Apple Watch, but what they are doing makes me feel that they treat customers as products.

• Level 5

It is not what I expect, but it happened with other apps as well when they had a major release. Probably easier to sort it out without another client spooking around. Watch clients are usually depending on the iOS client of the same app, only a few are truly independent.

Totally agree. Very disappointed with Evernote so called upgrade. What was wrong with the prior version that needed to be overhauled? I used Evernote on Apple Watch frequently. It was a complication on my watch face. Now it's gone. I subscribed to another service. I have been a premium Evernote subscriber for several years and would hope not to leave them behind. What are they doing?

Onenote does not have a complication that I could find.  I've replaced the Elephant with the Bear and the complication is flawless.

I cannot fathom how software I am PAYING for on a subnscription basis has major features deactivated behind my back without warning.

Really?  Whoever released v 10 as an Alpha with gutted features needs to be taken out back.  Absolutely criminal denial of use with no rollback recourse on iOS.  All I need now is a way to export EN to Bear.

Shame on you.  ***** treatment of loyal customers.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Hi Steve, before we continue the rant, there is something more urgent: Change your Forum user to something that is not your mail address.

Bots are scanning all public forums these days, copying real mail addresses for spam and worse.

Apple Watch is my main way of capturing ideas into my inbox. Without a smooth flow of idea captures, Evernote becomes less appealing if I must jump through third-party apps to make my flow work. Just my opinion, but it ruins the brand when the app tries to force us to use this versatile platform in a non-versatile way. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Initial remark: Better change your forum user to one that does not contain your e-mail. It is known that bots roam public places to harvest mail addresses, for Spam and worse.

About using JPR :

• Dictate a note on the watch 
  • It will sync with the iPhone. Open it there. Share it to EN. You can choose to share the text (transcript), the audio or both.
  • You can open the note in EN then, for further use.

This is what was better with the EN app for the watch: You could send it right away into EN. Thus JPR is IMHO a workaround, not a replacement. Waiting for EN to bring a watch app back.

On 9/20/2020 at 12:47 PM, ej8899 said:

Allegedly "temporarily" removed.   Sure hope it comes back soon.. but then, there are more than enough other problems that need immediate fixing in the iOS release.

Would you mind sharing where Evernote reported that it's only a temporary change? Thanks

• Like 1

Still waiting for the Apple Watch Evernote app... a 6 month delay in re-introducing a feature is incredibly frustrating.

The sad thing for me was that I finally ponied up for premium in July of 2020. I found the watch app shortly thereafter and introduced it into my workflow only to lose it in September...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Class Action comes to mind, or maybe 100 annoying small claims filings.

This was an intentional removal of features we paid for, with no way to avoid the "upgrade".  iWatch functionality was promised four updates ago.

Seems like plenty of time to release "TASKS" in Beta, but whyfor can we not have the SAME functionality I PAID FOR that I had 9 months ago??

10 updates to Version "10", and this simple feature is still not available.  But now I have a ridiculous crowded inept UI with a whole bunch of things I didn't ask for, and yet still missing the important things you crippled without warning or disclosure.

Seems small claims might get your attention.  Although I sincerely doubt it.

Fat chance.  Going on 9+ months - here's the Horsefeathers response I got:

(BTW - Zoho Notebooks has just about every feature I liked about the older version of Evernote, and even has a migration utility!   And yes, iWatch compatibility including a complication and Siri shortcuts.    For the incredibly high price of . . .   FREE !)

And here is how EN responded to to my support ticket:

Roden D. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Jun 11, 2021, 0:14 PDT

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Customer Support.

I understand that you are looking for the iWatch, or as I understand, the Apple Watch feature of Evernote for iOS.

We still haven’t yet built Apple Watch support into the new Evernote for iOS, but it's near the top of our list. We know how important this feature is and will be including support for it in a future release.

We really apologize for this matter. I understand you'd like to go back to using the older version of Evernote. Unfortunately, if you've already updated the app, there's no way to reinstall the older version. The new Evernote app offers many new features and functionality, including:

·         Improved note formatting and consistency across apps

·         Faster, easier search

·         Improved reliability and stability using the newest versions of Evernote

We truly believe this is the best version of Evernote yet. If you're having trouble with the new app, I'd be happy to help troubleshoot with you so you can get back to being productive with Evernote.

We really appreciate your understanding regarding this matter, and I understand that frustration.

Please let me know if you have other questions, and concerns.

Warm regards,

Roden D.
Customer Support Representative

• Level 5

The disappeared watch widget had the function to grab a quick note, and view (restricted by the small screen) some notes.

Yes, I would like to get it back, but it hardly makes a big difference. I don’t even remember if it was a Premium feature. 

To quickly grabby note on the watch there is a number of options, from build into the OS ‚til purchased for a small fee. I use JustPressRecord that cost 4,99€ one time when I bought it.

• Like 1

It now is farcical that they keep giving us 'features' that I immediately disable on the iOS app (various widgets, etc.) yet still have not restored Watch support.  If they could simply say 'nope, not coming back' that would be fine, we all can move on to Keep or OneNote or whatever.  But this year-long silence is ridiculous.  I would not at this point recommend Evernote to a friend or family member (i.e. negative NPS).

• Level 5

EN currently adds features that work on all devices of a use type, say on mobile or on desktop. They have not yet started to add device specific features, like special support for iPadOS or the Apple Watch.

Looking at that, it is probably not around the corner. But on the other hand a Watch app was mentioned by EN somewhere, so maybe they just release it one day, as a byproduct.

I was recently listing to a Podcast that discussed that several companies have pulled WatchOS versions of their apps because "that isn't what people are using their watches for" and they specifically mentioned EN as one of the companies.

I would agree that EN Apple Watch users are not a huge percentage of the population. 

I thought the app was pulled to get it ready for Tasks and Calendar, but I'm almost certain that it isn't coming back.

Did anyone else get surveyed as to how they use EN for Apple Watch?

• Level 5

If I were a Podcaster and had to fill my weekly hour, I would talk about whatever crosses my mind as well.

The reason is probably much simpler: The new clients both for desktop and mobile are offering a unified experience. Good for starters, but they axed ALL special devices support to make this happen. The Watch app disappeared, the iPad is not supported, same with pen devices on the Android side, and Windows tablet users have a problem because the desktop app is not provisioning for the use of a pencil or a touchscreen .

This is the base line: An app build for a unified experience, avoiding all platform specific properties. Not unfounded Podcaster gossip …

• Level 5

Up to now they have not coded a single thing for mobile that was not platform uniform.

Which is incorrect, since EN just launched widgets for the Android Home Screen. But this is the first exception.

I do not expect a watch app to be the next. Hopefully the next will be widgets for iOS.

For me it would be more important if shortcuts would be enabled for EN again than getting a tiny piece of app for the watch. At least this is what they removed, it really was not that much, no rocket science for sure.

• Like 1

I was initially upset I couldn't use Evernote on my brand new watch SE, but after trying  Just Press Record as mentioned above I'm quite happy and find it's perfect for a watch app. The iPhone app then translates the Just Press Record recordings and can share the transcription and recording to evernote immediately.

On the watch you just tap a red button, speak, and you're done.

On your iPhone you open the app, click the Watch icon, choose the recording, share transcript and recording, add title, choose notebook, add tags done. 

It's automatically transcribed and you share both to Evernote. 

Hope that's helpful to anyone. Honestly, I don't care if they add an iPhone app with this effective combination and the app is like $7 :) 

• Like 1
On 5/24/2022 at 7:51 AM, aaronbrownsound said:

I was initially upset I couldn't use Evernote on my brand new watch SE, but after trying  Just Press Record as mentioned above I'm quite happy and find it's perfect for a watch app. The iPhone app then translates the Just Press Record recordings and can share the transcription and recording to evernote immediately.

Or you could use the app FastEver that creates text notes directly in Evernote from the Apple Watch.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, paperboyitalia said:

Hi, any news concerning Evernote on Apple watch? I'm thinking to migrate to other products which support my aw7...

No, nothing by Evernote. But you can use the app FastEver on the Apple Watch to create notes in Evernote as I said above.

• Like 1