Apple Watch shortcut

Long story short, been using EN for a year now.  Made the switch to apple and now I have a new Apple Watch and iPhone.  Anyone have a shortcut that can do a voice memo and transcribe into new Evernote note?  Every time I try, I get an EN permission error telling me to sign in.  I’m on the road a lot, and would be amazing if I could add memos instantly when I get off the phone with clients.  

• Level 5

No, the watch app has vanished with the release of v10, and not surfaced since.

For a replacement I use the app JustPressRecord on Watch, iPhone and Mac. It records, transcribes and allows through sharing to save into EN. Opposite to the old watch app JPR allows to save the text, the audio or both - which is a good option if you later may want to check the audio, case the transcript is not good.

• Sad 1
On 3/26/2022 at 6:08 PM, RealEstateByMarcus said:

Long story short, been using EN for a year now.  Made the switch to apple and now I have a new Apple Watch and iPhone.  Anyone have a shortcut that can do a voice memo and transcribe into new Evernote note?  Every time I try, I get an EN permission error telling me to sign in.  I’m on the road a lot, and would be amazing if I could add memos instantly when I get off the phone with clients.  

I was able to get this working on my iPhone and my Mac but the watch is tricky. It works the first time after installing the shortcut but I can't get it to work again. I get the same permission error as you. 

This is how I made it: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a2bb3dc1ba1048d7a8a7dcf7f0296b3d 

• Level 5

My problem is getting account permission as well. In EN permissions it says shortcuts is authorized, but when trying it blocks access.

No idea how to get around - furthermore I will not disable 2FA just to make the Watch work.

There is an app called FastEver 3 in the app store. It has a watch app to create text notes in Evernote. It is very simple (just one input for one note, no note view within the app), but it works. And it is quite expensive (8 Euros).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Steven Eff said:

I wish the Evernote devs would look at the Apple Watch functionality which Bear notes has. Copy it, stick your obligatory green hue on it and ship it already!

They could look at their own watch app that existed before v10. But the point is they no longer maintain a specific iOS version. There is only a "mobile version" with the same basic code for iOS, iPadOS and Android. An Apple Watch app does not fit in this concept. I wouldn't expect them to release a new watch app soon. FastEver 3 might be the only option for a long time.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, there is some split in function in reality though. The new version on Android has widgets but iOS doesn't. Also, they did have it on their roadmap at the beginning of v10. When I've asked them, they say they have it still on that roadmap.

9 minutes ago, Steven Eff said:

Hmmm, there is some split in function in reality though. The new version on Android has widgets but iOS doesn't. Also, they did have it on their roadmap at the beginning of v10. When I've asked them, they say they have it still on that roadmap.

They do? That is interesting, I have never seen anything officially about the Apple Watch app since 2020. They removed all mentioning of it in all statements. 

1 hour ago, gewappnet said:

As I said, you can do this with the app FastEver. Works perfectly.

Looks a good app, but their privacy policy is a bit loose/cut and paste looking.

I'd like to see more information on what permissions to write and more importantly read evernote contents are.

2 minutes ago, Steven Eff said:

Looks a good app, but their privacy policy is a bit loose/cut and paste looking.

I'd like to see more information on what permissions to write and more importantly read evernote contents are.

It does not read Evernote notes at all. The app is just able to create notes, not reading or displaying notes.

• Level 5

Personally I prefer JustPressRecord. It does not save directly into EN - but it offers audio transcript.

So instead of getting only an audio file, I get a typed text. There is an option to share both audio and text file.

Available for Watch, iOS and the Mac - syncs through iCloud. I can grab something on my Watch, open it later on iPad or Mac, let the transcript run and share the result into my EN account.

13 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I prefer JustPressRecord. It does not save directly into EN - but it offers audio transcript.

So instead of getting only an audio file, I get a typed text. There is an option to share both audio and text file.

FastEver does not record audio. As I said, it is just for text. Opening FastEver brings up immediately the standard text input of the Apple Watch - Scribble, dictating or the new keyboard (Series 7).

• Level 5

Sometimes it can be tricky (depending on subject and who may listen) - but apart from this I try to avoid text input on my Watch.

Maybe I would need one with a 45cm screen instead of that tiny little thing …

For typing I use my task manager Things 3.

• 1 month later...

One of the ways you could do it is use an app like Drafts from Agile Tortoise.

• Install the app on your iPhone.
  • next, install the Apple Watch app from the Watch app on the phone (sorry, it's complicated).
  • Add an Evernote action in Drafts (I recommend anything with a green and orange checkmark).
  • Dictate into watch, then from iPhone, send it to Evernote.

I hope that helps! It's definitely kludgey — that's the best we can do for now.

24 minutes ago, Kyle D. aka macfixer said:

I hope that helps! It's definitely kludgey — that's the best we can do for now.

No. As I said above, the best we can do for now is using the existing and working third-party Evernote Apple Watch app called FastEver. It is very simple and you can only dictate or scribble text notes, but is not kludgey at all. All notes are immediately saved in Evernote.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, rbianchi said:

Hi!

I have attached an image of a simple shortcut that I use to dictate a note and transcribe it into Evernote.
The text is in Spanish, and I hope it is understood

sharedImage.png

Looks pretty similar to the old standard shortcut that no longer works on the watch. Does yours work when used on the Apple Watch?