nested tags! Hurrah!

ehrt74

Very cool! When did they turn up? 

By the way, does anybody know what these two symbols bottom left mean? According to the html they are children of a span element with the id "branch-info-wrapper", so they might well have something to do with git or svn or whatever.

ink (1) - Edited.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

No nested tags on my beta version; and no symbols
(Safari browser on a Mac and iPad)  edit; web v5.28

I like the minimized sidebar option (bottom right corner)  185278306_ScreenShot2020-01-18at5_34_11AM.png.67361fb2b5a45c68e05ecc3d3c54c65e.png

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

No nested tags on my beta version; and no symbols
(Safari browser on a Mac and iPad)

I like the minimized sidebar option (bottom right corner)  185278306_ScreenShot2020-01-18at5_34_11AM.png.67361fb2b5a45c68e05ecc3d3c54c65e.png

oh, I hope you'll be getting them soon. I'm on version 6.3.1 btw.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Steven Eff said:

The nested tags I'm running on web v6.4.1 are brilliant. The display of content is brilliant too and you can filter for reminders now. If the iOS clients work like this I'll be a happy customer.

I'm stuck with Evernote Web v5.28.0. How can I get to web v6.4.1 version?? Any ideas guys?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Kolmir said:

I'm stuck with Evernote Web v5.28.0. How can I get to web v6.4.1 version?? Any ideas guys?

oh, strange. Which browser are you using and what version? maybe evernote only sends 6.4.1 to certain browsers. i'm on chromeos running v. 80.

On a slightly different subject, my Ubuntu laptop stopped updating Chrome back at v. 69 (a signing key had expired) and evernote stopped working on it a couple of days ago because it required new features that were released somewhere after v. 69. Now i've installed new signing keys and evernote 6.4.1 is running fine on it too.

At some stage in the past i signed on to the evernote beta program. Maybe that had an effect too? Here's a link (unfortunately in German: https://evernote.com/intl/de/betaprogram)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just moving back to Evernote to house three or four research databases which will be organised as notebooks. After an hour playing around with it I was about to give up because I don't want to view all notebook tags when I'm working on one notebook. I was about to give up when I came across this thread. Phew!

I assume nested tags will come over to the Windows app and then IOS. Does anyone know when?  I'm pretty stuck until then. 

Evernote Learning search for “nested tags” is useless. 104 results and the first couple don't even contain the word 'nested'. They sure aren't making it easy for a newbie...!     

I'm on Chrome v80 (for macOS) and still on 5.28.0. I also didn't realize we could see which version we are being served. Looking forward to trying 6.x at some point.

Edit:

For fun, I tried loading the web client in Firefox (latest version), Safari (latest), and Chrome Canary (82.x), and I was served 5.28.0 each time. All on the latest version of macOS Catalina (10.15.3). Browser doesn't seem to be a factor, at least for me.

On 2/12/2020 at 6:31 AM, ehrt74 said:

oh, strange. Which browser are you using and what version? maybe evernote only sends 6.4.1 to certain browsers. i'm on chromeos running v. 80.

On a slightly different subject, my Ubuntu laptop stopped updating Chrome back at v. 69 (a signing key had expired) and evernote stopped working on it a couple of days ago because it required new features that were released somewhere after v. 69. Now i've installed new signing keys and evernote 6.4.1 is running fine on it too.

At some stage in the past i signed on to the evernote beta program. Maybe that had an effect too? Here's a link (unfortunately in German: https://evernote.com/intl/de/betaprogram)

Hi, thank you for the hints!

I have verified, that I can use web version 6.5.0 with Chrome (macOS), but not with Safari or FF (Win) - still only v. 5.28 available. A bit strange...

Moreover, I signed to Beta program too.

BR, Piotr

• Confused 1
  • Level 5

Confirmed - it takes me to 5.28 on Safari and FF.

Which is no issue for me, I am mostly using one of the desktop clients or the iOS app.

No Chrome, no beta.

Maybe an explanation is that both Safari and FF do not rely on the Chrome engine, but use their own code do present web pages. Chrome-based browsers have the largest share of the market, so companies will develop for this browser first.

And I try to avoid Google products wherever possible, so I will not touch it.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Beta is beta - if you need nested tags, use the Windows or Mac client, which both support nesting. But other clients do not do this, like the mobile ones, so it is a local experience. With the web client, it depends, as you have experienced.

We all hope this will change, having the nesting of tags available on all clients.

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Beta is beta - if you need nested tags, use the Windows or Mac client, which both support nesting. But other clients do not do this, like the mobile ones, so it is a local experience. With the web client, it depends, as you have experienced.

We all hope this will change, having the nesting of tags available on all clients.

The android mobile client supports nested tags :)

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Ah, agree. I was merely commenting on my status for those who were pondering which browsers might work. And the _web_ beta might be different from the _editor_ beta, the latter of which I'm happy to use.

• 2 years later...

So I stumbled over this feature myself today and at first I was very (!!) happy to see this. But now that I have played a little with the nesting I do not understand why it is implemented the way it is. I created this Tag Structure:

TestMaster
    Test1
    Test2

Then added tag Test1 to some notes, Test2 to some other notes and ran a search for TestMaster expecting the results to contain all notes that were tagged either Test1 or Test2. However, no notes showed up.

So it seams that TestMaster is just a normal tag that I can use on my notes just like any other Tag and it does not seem to be related to the tags that are nested inside (other than being displayed as nested tags within the Tags pane, of course). So in what way is that supposed to be useful? Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Can someone help me grasp the concpet behind this? I'm in the Windows App (10.30.6).

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you want to show all tags in the TestMaster branch, you need to add "TestMaster" to every sub-tag in that branch. So the sub-tags would read "TestMaster-Test1", for example.

To be sure to build a comprehensive structure you need to prepare your tagging tree - I recommend doing it the old fashioned way, pen and paper.

7 hours ago, fnkslbrthr said:

So I stumbled over this feature myself today and at first I was very (!!) happy to see this. But now that I have played a little with the nesting I do not understand why it is implemented the way it is. I created this Tag Structure:

TestMaster
    Test1
    Test2

Then added tag Test1 to some notes, Test2 to some other notes and ran a search for TestMaster expecting the results to contain all notes that were tagged either Test1 or Test2. However, no notes showed up.

So it seams that TestMaster is just a normal tag that I can use on my notes just like any other Tag and it does not seem to be related to the tags that are nested inside (other than being displayed as nested tags within the Tags pane, of course). So in what way is that supposed to be useful? Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Can someone help me grasp the concpet behind this? I'm in the Windows App (10.30.6).

I agree with you, I think it's more logical for filtering on parent tags to (by default) also include notes with sub-tags. But, some people must disagree, because that's not how it works with Evernote. 🤷‍♂️ There was some discussion on the topic when v10 clients first launched, and I vaguely recall that Evernote staff weighed in on the issue, but I don't recall what they said.

10 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I agree with you, I think it's more logical for filtering on parent tags to (by default) also include notes with sub-tags.

From memory I think that in Legacy there was an option to automatically add the parent tag(s) if you added a child tag. You can of course do this manually and this would achieve what @fnkslbrthrwants.

55 minutes ago, Mike P said:

From memory I think that in Legacy there was an option to automatically add the parent tag(s) if you added a child tag. You can of course do this manually and this would achieve what @fnkslbrthrwants.

How would you accomplish it manually? Is there a specific search string that has to be used? By default Evernote wants to search only for notes that include EVERY tag when using the filter.

24 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

How would you accomplish it manually? Is there a specific search string that has to be used? By default Evernote wants to search only for notes that include EVERY tag when using the filter.

Going back to @fnkslbrthroriginal post he expected a search for TestMaster (the parent tag) to bring up all notes tagged with either Test1 or Test2. If you tag notes with (Test1 or Test2)  and TestMaster then a search for TestMaster will bring up all the child tags as well.

Alternatively you can just do an advanced search syntax search:

any: tag:Test1 tag:Test2

Another alternative is to have a convention for the child tag names. So in this case you could simply do

tag:Test*

14 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just opened my legacy (1st time since quite a while, it took a lot of syncing time) and looked for such a function. At least not on a Mac 7.14 - the only option related to nesting is to move the tag up to the top level.

Thanks @PinkElephant. I was remembering the detail wrong but it does do what @fnkslbrthrwants. In the Windows Legacy there is an option to "Automatically select child tags".

image.png.60f210d2f1d42f81e6126075f30e13f7.png

If you then select a parent tag it automatically selects the parent and children with "any" selected.

image.png.3a9b5e7f5a1a8125b5b30293bf3a84a5.png

image.png.eac02015ac86d08dbaaa7ae3403495ba.png

9 hours ago, Mike P said:

Going back to @fnkslbrthroriginal post he expected a search for TestMaster (the parent tag) to bring up all notes tagged with either Test1 or Test2. If you tag notes with (Test1 or Test2)  and TestMaster then a search for TestMaster will bring up all the child tags as well.

Alternatively you can just do an advanced search syntax search:

any: tag:Test1 tag:Test2

Another alternative is to have a convention for the child tag names. So in this case you could simply do

tag:Test*

Thanks for the workarounds. To me these are all a huge PIA. Good to have as an option for those who really need them, but I would love to see a feature such as what you showed from the legacy Windows client.

I may see if I can dig up some of those old threads from about the time of the v10 launch. I swear I saw some Evernote staff weigh in on this feature request, but I can't remember what they said.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 2:57 PM, fnkslbrthr said:

TestMaster
    Test1
    Test2

A major change in handling nested tags has arrived in 10.32.4 (desktop and web). You now have the option of including all sub tags when filtering by tag. This can be applied from the filter menu (three dots next to the tag) or after you have filtered using a drop down within the blue tag lozenge. Thankfully the sub tags are searched using an OR logic so it will find notes containing the tag or any of the subtags in the hierarchy.

This is the first time we have seen UI based  (ie not using search syntax) searching for ANY of a list of tags within V10. Although it is limited it is at least a step in the right direction.

• Thanks 3
3 minutes ago, Mike P said:

A major change in handling nested tags has arrived in 10.32.4 (desktop and web). You now have the option of including all sub tags when filtering by tag. This can be applied from the filter menu (three dots next to the tag) or after you have filtered using a drop down within the blue tag lozenge. Thankfully the sub tags are searched using an OR logic so it will find notes containing the tag or any of the subtags in the hierarchy.

This is the first time we have seen UI based  (ie not using search syntax) searching for ANY of a list of tags within V10. Although it is limited it is at least a step in the right direction.

This is great! I just downloaded the latest version from evernote.com/download. The only issue is it's not remembering my selection to include subtags, every time I filter on a parent tag I have to manually select to include subtags. Would love to see either the app simply remember my last selected option or have an option to always include subtags.

What else do you think they could add to make it better? Hopefully the same functionality comes to the mobile clients next.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

What else do you think they could add to make it better? Hopefully the same functionality comes to the mobile clients next.

I agree it would be nice to set the default setting. I'm happy with the default as it is but obviously many people would prefer the "include sub-tags" as their default. I tend to filter by clicking the tag in the sidebar rather than use the filter menu which i find less convenient. I'm glad I have the option to change the sub tags option after I have filtered. 

For me the two main things I am missing when filtering by tags are:

1. The ability to simply change the filter logic for any list of tags from requiring all the tags to any of the tags. I can obviously still achieve this using the search syntax which is fine for saved searches but annoying the rest of the time.
  2. The ability to add further tags to the search from the sidebar - the old shift-click functionaility in Windows legacy. At the moment, once I have added one tag, I have to then go to the filter menu to select a further tag. My main use case for this is that I have a number of "metadata" tags at the top of my tag hierarchy. Often I will want to select a subject and then choose those that meet some other metadata criterion. e.g the most important notes for that subject are indicated by the $pinned tag (they would be pinned ot the top of the list if this was a feature in EN)

image.png.0a00488e1200db5a2b77ace685ef331f.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Cool new feature with 10.32 desktop - works in 10.27 iOS as well. It lifts the use of nested tags to a really useful level - no need any longer to add the parent tags names into the child tags. This is now really superior to legacy, where nested tags were simply not supported on mobile platforms, which made them useless in a mixed setup.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 8:03 AM, Mike P said:

It sounds so great, but apparently I'm doing something wrong again:

Notes:
  A tagged Test1
  B tagged TestMaster, Test2
  C tagged TestMaster
  D tagged TestMaster, Test1

Tags:
  TestMaster
    Test1
    Test2

If I then right-click on tag TestMaster and choose "Filter with sub-tags" it says: "No notes found" 😔
From your description I would have expected it to show all notes A, B, C and D. Am I wrong?

Generally speaking I would expect the following:
Filtering for TestMaster without sub-tags finds notes B, C, D
Filtering for TestMaster with sub-tags finds all notes A, B, C, D
Filtering for Test1 finds notes A, D
Filtering for Test2 finds note B

As others have already pointed out, it would also be great if we could set the preferred filtering method (with or without sub-tags) instead of having to choose it from the context-menu every time. 

But hey, it looks as if we're heading in the right direction with this feature and Evernote is on the verge of getting it right. Keeping my fingers crossed! 🤞

FWIW: I'm not on v10.32, but 10.33 now.

• Like 1
On 3/26/2022 at 5:05 PM, fnkslbrthr said:

From your description I would have expected it to show all notes A, B, C and D. Am I wrong?

That's certainly what I would have expected as well.

Normal approach if you don't get the search results you expect is to first try the web version. If that works as expected it is probably a problem with your local data. You should then sign out of EN and choose the option to remove my EN data. Then you can log back in again.

On 3/26/2022 at 10:05 AM, fnkslbrthr said:

It's working as you describe for me, so as Mike P said there might be something funky going on with your install?

As you said, they're getting closer to a more flexible and intuitive tag system. Finally. As you mentioned, the ability for to remember to include or exclude child tags or set that as an option is key. There's also some weirdness on the mobile clients, e.g. if I choose to filter I can include or exclude, but if I just tap on a parent tag from the tag kingdom, there's no such option to include child tags.

Hopefully those tweaks will be added in the near future.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

So I don't visit the forums a lot and this topic seems to have been asleep for a while now, but I just wanted to let everyone know, that with version 10.33.5 (I know it's not the most recent) the tags now work for me as expected. After Paul posting that he couldn't reproduce my issue, I'm now unsure if if it did work with 10.32.4, too, and I was just to stupid to figure it out or if it was only fixed in 10.33.5. However,  nobody cares, because it's working now and I am veeeeery happy with it! Thanks Evernote team! Nested tags are a win!