Recurring reminders

Amir Natan

Idea

20 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Evernote implemented a reminder feature but there's no support recurring reminders

Some work-arounds

• manually reset reminder when completed
  • automatically reset reminder when completed
    • Third party Filterize
    • I use scripting on my Mac
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/16/2019 at 10:04 PM, Amir Natan said:

what’s the benefit of tasks app that doesn’t have recurring reminders?

Just to be clear: you're posting in a user discussion forum - we're both users

Evernote is a generic digital filing service

The reminder feature is quite useful.  I use it as a control for basic task management.  

Most of my tasks have a single due date; as I pointed out, there are work-arounds for recurring reminders

Yes, I understood you are a user. That’s why I wrote “other users”. Anyhow, I will check what is that reminder finder feature.

Thank you for the quick replies!

P.S if the workaround include writing scripts on Mac I think I will wait for the feature or move to another app 😊

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Amir Natan said:

I will wait for the feature

You might have a long wait; Evernote has not indicated an interest in implementing recurring reminders

There is a request posted at the discussion linked below.  You're welcome to indicate your support using the vote button at the top left corner  of the discussion

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If I need to track something, I share a link into my task manager (Things 3, for iOS and Mac). There I can set recurring reminders, among other features. I use a GTD structure for the tasks there. I can move the task with the link around when I work it down, the link always stays on the task with the EN note as target. If it is recurring, it will pop up again and again, based on the settings.

The EN note is just one click with the mouse away, if I need the content of the note.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If I need to track something, I share a link into my task manager ...  I use a GTD structure for the tasks there.

Can you explain the "GTD Structure"?
For me, GTD is more of a process/workflow

>>But I find processing inside of EN difficult,

I process the task notes in Evernote (with a work-around for recurring reminders)

I use:

• A note with a due date, and a completion status/date
  • Tag to identify actionable notes
  • Tag to identify projects
  • Tags to identify priority (important/urgent)
  • Saved searches to produce task lists; current, project, ...

>>One key issue is get everything into one (-1-) Inbox and process it from there. For me, EN is the Inbox.

I use my default notebook as my Inbox.  
Notes are collected there, then processed (title, tags, due date, ...)

Another key point for me is; when a project is started or task completed, identify the Next Action.
This is my day-to-day focus (my current task list)

• Level 5

Yes, sure: GTD = Getting Things Done, following the method developed by David Allen.

For further detail: On the website of GTD / David Allen you find digital booklets of how to set it up, one for Evernote (Windows), one for Things, among others. Each cost 10$. Sure, the method needs to be adapted to ones needs.

One key issue is get everything into one (-1-) Inbox and process it from there. For me, EN is the Inbox. But I find processing inside of EN difficult, because some tools are missing (among them recurring reminders).

So I build my GTD-follow-up-structure in Things 3, and use Links to the content in EN to have the details of a topic always on hand, just a click away.

@Amir Natan When I started using Evernote in 2011, Evenote didn't have a reminder feature at all. They saw themselves as a note-taking / web capture / brainstorming app, not a task manager. They particularly wanted to avoid the trap of trying to be the everything for everybody app. So at first they explained that a reminder feature was not part of their vision for the product. Later they listened to their users an added a basic reminder function, this was mid 2013 IIRC. There hasn't been much movement towards making reminders better since then.

I agree it would be nice to have a recurring reminder. I've installed Filterize but don't feel confident enough to program AND TEST repeating reminders to the point that I can trust them. But that (or scripting for Apple stuff) is probably your best workaround.

• Level 5

The one way that does work to create a recurring reminder for an Evernote note is to copy the link for the note (right-click on the note in the Note list, then Copy Internal Link); then create the recurring event in your calendar (e.g., Google); then in the description field paste the Evernote link. A bit of a kludge, but it does work. Clicking that link will open the Evernote Web interface to the note.

• Level 5*

I just change the reminder time in the note to the next recurring time, also have a !Recur tag for those notes.  Not optimal I suppose, but I am sure I visited the reminder.  And I can randomly change the period.  :ph34r:

I don't have a need for recurring reminders as yet. And currently, I'm okay with manually resetting the reminder should the need arise. However, as I start to use EN more and more as my pseudo Task Manager, inevitably, I too will probably want this feature. 

Recently CalS and DTLow both gave me some great tips re saved searches, how to label the saved searches so they appear top of list, then creating shortcuts from these.  

From these tips sprang my idea for another possible workaround, re recurring reminders.

Create & Use:  Tags + Saved Searches + Shortcuts (Optional)

• Recur-Daily
  • Recur-Daily-AM   (AM mornings -or- PM afternoons)
  • Recur-Weekly-M  (M for Monday's, T for Tuesday's, etc etc)
  • Recur-Monthly-9  (9 for 9th day of month -or- whatever number 1 to 31 days in a month) 

In this way the above example 'Tags' generate the same outcome as having recurring reminders, but admittedly not as user friendly.

Then whatever day of the week, or day number of month it is, simply trigger the search/shortcut.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, RavBoy said:

From these tips sprang my idea for another possible workaround, re recurring reminders.

Create & Use:  Tags + Saved Searches + Shortcuts (Optional)

• Recur-Daily
  • Recur-Daily-AM   (AM mornings -or- PM afternoons)
  • Recur-Weekly-M  (M for Monday's, T for Tuesday's, etc etc)
  • Recur-Monthly-9  (9 for 9th day of month -or- whatever number 1 to 31 days in a month) 

In this way the above example 'Tags' generate the same outcome as having recurring reminders, but admittedly not as user friendly.

FYI, I created a set of tags for recurring reminders that aren't date sensitive per se.  !!Daily, !!Weekly, !!Monthly, !!Quarterly.  I tag any note I want to review on a cycle with the appropriate tag.  I have one note for each cycle type and I put a reminder on that note.  Process is

1. The cycle type note appears in the list for Today's item, !1 Today search in my case.
  2. Click on the note
  3. Click on all notes.
  4. Click on the arrow beside the !!tag and the list becomes the cycle type.
  5. Adjust the date on the cycle type note,.

Not particularly elegant but quick.  I use this mostly for thought pieces or that which isn't critical but I just want to remind myself from time to time.  FWIW.

• Like 2
On 9/16/2019 at 10:25 PM, DTLow said:

You might have a long wait; Evernote has not indicated an interest in implementing recurring reminders

There is a request posted at the discussion linked below.  You're welcome to indicate your support using the vote button at the top left corner  of the discussion

I am a little frustrated with something here and hope someone can help.   I created a note for quarterly business plan in beginning of the year.  I love having the plan emailed to me  everyday because it keeps it front and center.  Somehow i setup a reminder in EN to do this and have been getting the reminder every like clockwork.  it's recurring.   My problem is i can't update it and have the update note emailed every day.  i only receive the original form.   Any ideas

On 9/20/2019 at 3:57 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The one way that does work to create a recurring reminder for an Evernote note is to copy the link for the note (right-click on the note in the Note list, then Copy Internal Link); then create the recurring event in your calendar (e.g., Google); then in the description field paste the Evernote link. A bit of a kludge, but it does work. Clicking that link will open the Evernote Web interface to the note.

Thank you for the idea! Why didn't I think of that...

• Like 1