Evernote keeps crashing, unresponding

My everntoe app in windows laptop and android phone keeps crashing. I'm losing my notes. I keep on typing it. What's worse, is i also lose the photos and recordings i take via the app. Do any of you experience the same? Or do any of you have a solution to this? Its frustrating.

• Level 5

No crashes on Windows, Mac and iOS. The „freezing“ of the iOS app got eliminated with a recent release to 8.21.  

No experience with Androids. From other threads in the forum, I would regard the Android app as the least stable at the moment.

With Windows, have you tried creating the notes in local notebooks (non syncing), and move / copy them to their destination after the note is completed? It will mean that note creation and sync will take place one after the other. Or quit the WiFi on the laptop before you start taking notes. They will sync after you reestablish connection.

Both is not permanent, just to find out whether syncing plays a role.

With Android, I can’t help you.

Tried Support yet ?

On Windows, try signing out out of your user name, then exiting, rebooting, then signing back in.

On your note list, make the sync column visible, sort all notes by sync, then sync all notes.  If any notes still have a dot next to them, they are not synced, so additional steps would be needed. 

I find the Android version kinda buggy in general, I try not rely on it for entering data too much, though it has more features than the iOS version, which seems more solid.

On Windows, using two premium users, at the same time, anyone of the instances crashes at any random time, It is becoming more and more frequent to my recall it is only happening in the last version (6.19.2.8555 (308555) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750)), sometimes I don't see one of the instances crash because it just vanishes, so I go to the other one and try to open the missing one again and can't because it tells me that it's already open, so I close the working instance.... but Clipper and Tray app don't close and they have to be ended with task manager, only then can I open again both instances.... and wait for the next crash.... seriously considering downgrading until this gets fixed... I have observed at least one note became damaged (Lost content)

There is a sync problem with the latest release version, 6.19.2.8555. I think it's especially problematic with large file sizes (lots and lots of 4k+ screenshots are crashing/freezing/losing data with my Evernote). This update changed something with splitting the save file and I think it's having problems with large files/photos. Small text notes seem to be fine.

Ask tech support for a previous version. 6.18.8489 still works correctly.

Tech support says the problem should be fixed on the next update. For now, uninstall 6.19.2.8555 and install an older version. Turn off update reminders to keep Evernote from pestering you to update to the 6.19.2.8555 problem version.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:30 AM, nunograca said:

I'm getting more freeze-ups with this version (Windows 10) but for the past 8 months or so Evernote is in nearly a constant state of syncing AND Evernote goes into a state of unavailable for 2-3 minutes at a time. It is getting very difficult to use.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, HFreeman said:

In my experience, Evernote is unusable on HDD. You need to have everything on a SSD.

Evernote may be slower on HDD, but that doesn't necessarily make it crash, which what the original poster is seeing...

I think the problem has to do with large note size. I'm marking up a lot of 4k+ sized photos/screencaps. Probably 40-60+ per note.

Evernote is unusable on HDD with notes this large. Each sync will lock up Evernote for 10-15 minutes. Works fine for my text-only notes or on a SSD. No crashing, I just have to wait 10-15 minutes every time Evernote tries to sync (which makes it unusable on a HDD computer). The latest release, however, will crash during sync and lose data.

Original poster said problems were related to photos and recordings. Sounds like the same problems I have run into with large note size.

My guess is that they tried solving the horrendous slow-sync by splitting the file-save format. That fix ended up causing large files to lose data.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, HFreeman said:

My guess is that they tried solving the horrendous slow-sync by splitting the file-save format. That fix ended up causing large files to lose data.

Could be, I suppose, but I'm pretty sure that sync is unrelated to the new export file splitting behavior, and even if it were, it doesn't split notes; it's just a limit on the size of export files. So a large note is still going to be handled as one file, not multiple.

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Was a ticket issued, and did support answer it (after working through the usual standard stuff they ask) ?

not yet... I'm about to... it takes me forever to find where to do that on the Evernote site. They purposely make it difficult to find IMHO.

On 7/26/2019 at 1:26 AM, HFreeman said:

There is a sync problem with the latest release version, 6.19.2.8555. I think it's especially problematic with large file sizes (lots and lots of 4k+ screenshots are crashing/freezing/losing data with my Evernote). This update changed something with splitting the save file and I think it's having problems with large files/photos. Small text notes seem to be fine.

Ask tech support for a previous version. 6.18.8489 still works correctly.

Tech support says the problem should be fixed on the next update. For now, uninstall 6.19.2.8555 and install an older version. Turn off update reminders to keep Evernote from pestering you to update to the 6.19.2.8555 problem version.

Thanks... I'll see about reverting to that version. This one is a royal PITA.

• Level 5

Never had a problem to find the support link. Just go in the web client into your account (top left), select „Help“. Or enter your account data into the website, go to the help page directly:

The screenshot was taken on my iPad, but in desktop mode. So this is Safari, may look a bit differently in other browsers on other platforms. And it is in german here ...

71512005-F6A8-440E-8E44-12184443049C.thumb.jpeg.40c3672fcc9e95c61dbd5c355c6e0903.jpeg

ok... I'm on chat with support... I JUST found out that the way one creates a ticket is to send an email. I've been a customer (premier) for over 5 years. I'm pretty sure there used to be a "submit ticket" hot spot. I use a lot of apps... I've never not seen something like that for my other  ones.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, sgarcata said:

ok... I'm on chat with support... I JUST found out that the way one creates a ticket is to send an email. I've been a customer (premier) for over 5 years. I'm pretty sure there used to be a "submit ticket" hot spot. I use a lot of apps... I've never not seen something like that for my other  ones.

At the bottom of the support page you see support options

Submit ticket is the middle option

4761FD45-82D8-49F3-BECF-9911F6E18035.thumb.jpeg.4449aefc6c9271e7293d51d9c037bdfe.jpeg

Thanks for your help, PinkElephant. I apologize for being so crabby... I've been on chat with Evernote support for well over an hour trying to resolve issues... just very frustrated and have a lot still to do today... plus really stressed out due to another of our family dogs passing unexpectedly on Friday... a gorgeous G.S. imported from Germany... the absolutely best dog one could ever hope for... beautiful, very very smart and had a absolutely wonderful disposition..His best doggy friend, my Chi-mix, passed away a month ago. so sad... again, thanks for your help.

Tres Amigos.jpg

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, sgarcata said:

Thanks for your help, PinkElephant. I apologize for being so crabby... I've been on chat with Evernote support for well over an hour trying to resolve issues... just very frustrated and have a lot still to do today... plus really stressed out due to another of our family dogs passing unexpectedly on Friday... a gorgeous G.S. imported from Germany... the absolutely best dog one could ever hope for... beautiful, very very smart and had a absolutely wonderful disposition..His best doggy friend, my Chi-mix, passed away a month ago. so sad... again, thanks for your help.

Tres Amigos.jpg

Sorry to hear about the loss of your pets. I know how heartbreaking that can be.

• Like 1

so it looks like the root of my problem is that my database was messed up. I had 301 un-sync'd notes going back to 2014. I was given instructions on how to rebuild the database from Evernote servers and then import my 301 un-sync'd notes into the new db (which I previously saved and set aside). It has been downloading my notes for well over an hour now... it is up to 13,006... I didn't think to note the total prior to removing the corrupt db, but I'm guessing I had close to 20,000.

I'll let y'all know the outcome.

Meanwhile, I just got a notification of a new version of Evernote... 6.20.2 - If I'm successful in importing my unsync'd notes, I'll trying upgrading before reverting to the older version.

Major major, thanks for your kind thoughts. 

• Level 5

Hey guys, as I said above, I have switched my iPad browser to desktop mode before I made the screenshot. Just for you, I might add ...

It looks similar on a Mac, see the shot from DTLow.

And yes, I could have ramped up my trusted Win10-PC just to have a look at how it is displayed using my Firefox.

So no, not anybody must own an iPad (although you are loosing a lot if you don’t... ).

To tell a long story short: YES, anybody who is on a paying subscription can issue a support ticket. From my experience, the real trouble starts just then: They will come back on you with 3 questions for each one you have posted. I agree these are needed to make an issue reproducable for others, but it makes a long and winding road towards solving my issue.

@sgarcata Sorry to learn that about your Chi-mix - it always hurts when one of these little members of the family departs. Many happy hours with your GS, though.

@PinkElephant - again, thanks for your help. The db download is now at 17,227 and still cranking.

I don't own any Apple products... I have had too many apps that would only run on Windows-based computers (not that I'm any big fan of Microsoft, mind you) and iPhones cost too much for my budget.

sadly the G.S. passed on Friday... totally unexpectedly... no known illness...The White dog in the pic (also a Chi-mix - Jack Russell) died earlier this year after having dementia for 3 years. Now we're dogless.:(

Thanks.

Progress so far:

• DB is downloaded from servers.
  • unsync'd notes have been imported and now sync'd (just finished).
  • The unsync'd notes all lost their Notebook designation. I had hoped Evernote would have changed that quirk. I recall this from years ago. I guess the only way around this is to create a special tag for each Notebook that shows what Notebook it is associated with. What a PITA. That's 301 notes that I have to reassign now.

Saroj

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, sgarcata said:

The unsync'd notes all lost their Notebook designation. I had hoped Evernote would have changed that quirk. I recall this from years ago. I guess the only way around this is to create a special tag for each Notebook that shows what Notebook it is associated with. What a PITA. That's 301 notes that I have to reassign now.

One way around that particular export / import problem: 

That would do the job, but I have a lot of notebooks. It would be a huge challenge to import all of them separately. Plus I have no idea how to set up PowerShell. I'm sure I could figure it out given enough time, but honestly after all these years, why hasn't Evernote simply included the Note book in the enex file?

That said, thank you for sending this.

Saroj

• Level 5

Maybe the sync problems are related to the „no-notebook-assigned“ observation. It could be worth to check this up.

The problems with following up on the notebooks (creating, syncing, sharing, deleting, and this over devices) is one reason why I switched from having many notebooks to having few, and do the majority of the information assignments by tags.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, sgarcata said:

That would do the job, but I have a lot of notebooks. It would be a huge challenge to import all of them separately. Plus I have no idea how to set up PowerShell. I'm sure I could figure it out given enough time, but honestly after all these years, why hasn't Evernote simply included the Note book in the enex file?

Can't comment on the Evernote intentions with respect to notebook metadata in ENML files,, but Windows comes with PowerShell right out of the box. No setup required, as far as I know; I run it from a standard Windows CMD shell. I'd have to check the old PS script that is posted in the forum to make sure it's still good. 

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, sgarcata said:

The unsync'd notes all lost their Notebook designation.

This happens to me every once in a while, that being a note without a notebook, clueless as to why.  Since I use Side List as a default view I notice the gap in the location column.  Fix is to create a new note and merge with the notebookless note with it and then make whatever adjustments.