Evernote for Windows 6.14 Beta 2

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi Folks - 

We're releasing version 6.14 Beta 2. You can download it here, or check for updates if you have beta features turned on. 

Our Beta 1 wasn't at the quality level that we wanted and we've fixed a number of issues the beta community helped us uncover. In particular:

• Printing wasn't working for text and tables 
  • Inline PDFs are either blank or only partially rendered   

We wanted to get these fixes out to our users ASAP. We're separately working on improving the performance of the Notebooks view as well and that'll be available in Beta 3. We've also fixed a couple of issues with the Shared view that we've called out below as well.

Please give this a go and let us know what you think. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team

Release Notes for Version 6.14

Note: Versions 6.14 is supported in Windows OS versions 7 and up.

Fixed:

- Losing of indent for ordered list after switching notes

- Note changes aren't saved when quickly navigating away from the note

- Cannot delete via right click menu -> delete on inline PDF.

- Unable to invoke Assign Tags dialog in single note view in joined notebook/space with view permission by Ctrl+Alt+T hotkey

- Sharing: Shared section only displays after re-launching the Evernote app

- Sharing: fail to show shared section when first "clean" login to an account

- Sharing: The notebook name is not updated immediately in Shared section

Improved:

- Sharing: improving the ease of finding the Share options by adding a label to the Note option. 

New:

- We've introduced a Notebooks view to Evernote for Windows making it easier to view and manage your notebooks from one place

21 replies to this idea

Cross platform and device syncing still has problems - most notably with 'shortcuts' syncing.  I get shortcuts that go missing throughout my day, and just now, thought one went missing, but find it's been added to the bottom of the list - even though "add new shortcuts to the end" is NOT checked.

I use three different windows laptops, 2 ipads, an iphone, android tablet and an android phone throughout my day.   

I think.. and don't quote me on this.. the problem occurs after I use an iOS device.   A very frustrating bug as I'm often adding and removing various important shortcuts during the day.  Normally, shortcuts are added on the windows systems and a sync 'forced' in the toolbar before moving to a new device.  I suspect the iOS devices sync back to the server over writing the Windows changes - which then syncs again with old or missing shortcuts.  I could be spit-balling with all that and it's something totally different though.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

Recent versions of Win 10 have a special emoji 'keyboard' that you can pop up in most contexts by entering Win+. or Win+; (press the Win key and either the period or semicolon key at the same time). Exercise left for others as to how many of these work in Evernote.

And if you right click in the task area you can select Show touch keyboard button.  There is an emoji option when you select the touch keyboard.  

• Level 5*

Recent versions of Win 10 have a special emoji 'keyboard' that you can pop up in most contexts by entering Win+. or Win+; (press the Win key and either the period or semicolon key at the same time). Exercise left for others as to how many of these work in Evernote.

2 hours ago, ej8899 said:

I've got a list of ones I sometimes use here:
http://www.evernote.com/l/AJBYsTxwXkBMkoC5tATFsqcZbFrw9htH2d4/

For anybody who cares to know, the following are a list of emojies from that list that don't seem to work in Evernote for Windows 10, in my experience:

:bowtie: 
:couplekiss:
:feelsgood:
:finnadie:
:godmode:
:hurtrealbad:
:rage2:
:rage3:
:suspect:
:trollface:
:goberserk:
:rage1:
:rage4:
:octocat:
:squirrel:

4 hours ago, Némo Nobody said:

?

• In the left panel view, when I right-click on a notebook inside a notebook stack, I don't have an option to create a new note inside the right-clicked notebook. Is this normal ?
  • Also, I don't find an official Evernote documentation on emojis. What is the way to use them in Evernote ?

Thanks

Emoji's you can copy & paste from https://emojipedia.org/

you can also type a colon with the name of the emoji and a closing colon:

?  is created by typing:

:bell:

I've got a list of ones I sometimes use here:
http://www.evernote.com/l/AJBYsTxwXkBMkoC5tATFsqcZbFrw9htH2d4/

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Némo Nobody said:

In the left panel view, when I right-click on a notebook inside a notebook stack, I don't have an option to create a new note inside the right-clicked notebook. Is this normal ?

An easy way to do this is just to click on the notebook, and then create your note, which should be in the notebook that you clicked on. After that, if you want to go back to your previous context, then you can use the Back History arrow (it's a toolbar tool, you may need to add it; alternatively you can use the Alt+ArrowLeft hotkey) to bring you back.

?

• In the left panel view, when I right-click on a notebook inside a notebook stack, I don't have an option to create a new note inside the right-clicked notebook. Is this normal ?
  • Also, I don't find an official Evernote documentation on emojis. What is the way to use them in Evernote ?

Thanks

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Emojies still don't work in either the left panel or the Note list, in Windows 7.  They work in notes, though they have a different appearance (monochrome) than in Win10.

Not breaking a sweat over it, just mentioning it.

The fix for this is to rip out emoji support and get back to basics.

Emojies still don't work in either the left panel or the Note list, in Windows 7.  They work in notes, though they have a different appearance (monochrome) than in Win10.

Not breaking a sweat over it, just mentioning it.

• Level 5*

This version still has a longstanding editing bug that I hope gets some attention.

• Open a new note in a new window. Can be "windowed" or full screen.
  • Type like mad.
  • Once you get to the last line of the window, press enter. I normally see this in some sort of bullet/numbered list.
  • The window did not scroll up so you can see your new bullet/number, or cursor. You cannot see where you are.
  • You have to type something, then the window moves.

The enter action should be enough to cause your window to adjust. I cannot think of any circumstance where a keyboard action would allow your cursor to move off screen. I know you can drag the scroll bar to cause that, and that makes sense, but if your cursor is being moved by any keyboard action, the Evernote editor should move the window contents as needed up/down to keep your cursor visible and on screen.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, ej8899 said:

It would.. but then, I don't really ever print... but I do rely on things like syncing though!  

Anyway, I do understand the frustrations they must have - I've been a software developer myself back in the days of DOS.

Actually, neither do I, and of course I understand how important is to the entire Evernote enterprise. It's just that a software development team typically has developers with different skills & specialties and roles, and different people work on different issues with different complexities simultaneously. Drawing conclusions about Evernote's priorities based on a sample set of two items and without knowing how many developer resources there are and their skill sets seems a little, I dunno, short-sighted? None of that means that sync issues shouldn't be high priority, and I'd guess that they are.

My first 10 years or so of development were in DOS, mostly Windows thereafter. Nice to have DOS well behind me... ;) 

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, jefito said:

It would just be better to say: "Hey Evernote, thanks for fixing printing!"

and, hey, why not put that person on fixing the focus issue.  Just kidding before anyone goes off the rails...   ?

• Level 5*

Drag n drop PDF into note from desktop - not working,  though attachment from note opens dialogue box to complete.  DnD msg file from Outlook to note not working,  though email sending and merging does.

Edit:  NB sending emails rather than d-n-d-ing them gets you the full text in a note instead of a small icon - and its only available to subscribers...  :mellow:

5 minutes ago, jefito said:

It would.. but then, I don't really ever print... but I do rely on things like syncing though!  

Anyway, I do understand the frustrations they must have - I've been a software developer myself back in the days of DOS.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

p.s... users can't print - fix within a day.  users can't sync - fix takes a month - lack of priority like that doesn't look good in the public eye - despite this being a beta.

Bugs are not always equally fixable; aside from that, if one person is assigned to fix printing and one person is assigned to fix syncing, then why is it surprising that one is fixed before another?

Face it;  most of the public doesn't know anything about software development, and the public eye (whatever that is) does not always see clearly. 

Clicking on the title of a note reached via a note link still puts the cursor at the beginning of the title. Clicking on the title of the same note reached from the note list puts the cursor at the end, as expected.

The "Open Note links from other applications" bug is still present:

The green text and delete line bugs explained below are still present.  I was not able to reproduce the third bug just yet, I guess that means it is fixed, thanks!:

"Share notes" view bug:

If I click on #1 - "Shared", I would expect to see 'all notes' that are shared... instead, I get a highlight on #2 "all notes" (as well as shared), and all notes are displayed.  I would suggest either show shared notes only on clicking the "shared" header, or nothing at all. This would confuse most people in thinking all their notes are shared.

ScreenClip.png.13c9ff649ede0e91128d2f2548a06ff2.png

p.s... users can't print - fix within a day.  users can't sync - fix takes a month - lack of priority like that doesn't look good in the public eye - despite this being a beta.

also.. invisible tags persist... if you can fix printing in a day, any chance you can fix the invisible tags for me for tomorrow?  that would be helpful (reported in march 2018) ->  http://www.evernote.com/l/AJDRYO7yD5pNGqe8lTVHvR9A-JyKoYf4NZA/

Archived