Now Available: Clipper 7.4 for Chrome

Sydney Russakov

Idea

Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you all! I'm the newest member of the Clipper team and I'm pleased to announce that Web Clipper v7.4 has been released on Chrome (download here). We’re very excited to share this release:

What’s new?
A UI refresh for your Web Clipper experience! While there aren't any functionality changes, we did update the look & feel. Some highlights include:
— Modernized the visual language, including the addition of icons next to Clip Types for context
— Added a new “Light Mode” theme that can be accessed via Settings
— Cleaned up the Settings page so it’s a bit easier to digest
— Simplified the Clipped view so that the most relevant pieces are front & center

Notable fixes:
— Sometimes, when using Article or Simplified Article to clip a page, the entirety of the content would not clip. We fixed that so that you can continue to save your long-reads to Evernote.
— Attempting to clip from Twitter would sometimes cause the Clipper to load for far longer than it should
— Images within some clipped notes from Google & Instagram didn’t always load. Now they do.
— Using the “Full Page” clip mode on Facebook would sometimes cause the created note to miss some content
— The cursor would sometimes remove spaces when renaming a Note in the Clipper
— Evernote Business users couldn’t always collapse the Spaces section when expanding their Notebook list

We’re looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the refresh, as well as any feedback you may have for our next update.

Happy Clipping,
Sydney and the rest of the Clipper Team
  • Like 1

23 replies to this idea

On 8/1/2018 at 9:49 AM, eafpres said:

Sometimes if I try again, it works, and can be very fast.  

I'm still seeing this, but most times if I just reload the page then re-clip it works.  The first time it just spins.  I keep forgetting to grab an affected url but will do so.

On 8/6/2018 at 9:10 AM, eafpres said:

I'm still seeing this, but most times if I just reload the page then re-clip it works.  The first time it just spins.  I keep forgetting to grab an affected url but will do so.

This appeared to be fixed by updating Chrome, but today I hit another one.  First time to this page clipper was stuck; reloading fixed it.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40459339/google-perspective-fighting-hate-and-trolls-with-a-mindless-ai

Hi Evernote Team/Users,

Congrats for this update/improvement. Now it is possible to clip the right email in gmail when moving to previous or next email, without the need of refreshing/F5

Still not possible:

- to clip different photos/albuns in google photos - eg.: when you capture an album and then choose another when, the EN clipper keeps on capturing the 1st one. Same situation happened in gmail that this update fixed.

- clipping PDF's, essentially gmail attachments, the clip button doesn't show up - hitting the extension button, it does clip - thought afterwards the pdf filename must be added the extension ".pdf" in order to open in a pdf reader.

Keep the good work.

Greetings from Portugal,

Luís 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Sydney Russakov said:

Nice to meet you all! I'm the newest member of the Clipper team and I'm pleased to announce that Web Clipper v7.4 has been released on Chrome (download here). We’re very excited to share this release

Thanks for the update.  It has been a long an rocky road since you guys took us for ride with Ver 7.0.

I just updated to Ver 7.4 today, and the web clipping seems to be fine so far, but I do have these issues with the keyboard shortcuts:

1. The Start Web Clipper does NOT work reliably.
  2. I can't find a way to remove a specific shortcut completely.
  3. ESC does not work as a Close Web Clipper (cancel).
11 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Thanks for the update.  It has been a long an rocky road since you guys took us for ride with Ver 7.0.

I just updated to Ver 7.4 today, and the web clipping seems to be fine so far, but I do have these issues with the keyboard shortcuts:

3.  ESC does not work as a Close Web Clipper (cancel).

Hi @JMichaelTX, thanks for reporting this. I'm unable to reproduce these issues with version 7.4. Does the issues persist after selecting Reset Shortcuts in the Clipper's Shortcuts menu in Settings?

Hi, I clipped a few articles tomorow evening and they multiplied up to 80 copies of the same.

I noticed Syncing after Clipping takes longer than usual. 

Because I have around 1300 new clips instead of about 20, my Evernote desktop freezes after start while Evernote on my tablet still keeps syncing. Via Evernote Web I expunged some notes that made their way to Trash but the cleaning will probably take longer, so I cannot do a test clip now. 
What else should I do?

• Level 5*

AFAIK clipping goes straight to the server copy of your database,  so your tablet and desktop (which both update from there) are probably trying to sync 1300 new notes up to date.  It could take a while.  Meantime - can you see your clips in a browser via Evernote.com?  Delete duplicates from there to shorten the recovery time for your devices.

• Level 5*

Looks good.  Still has the problem wherein if you have Automatically close Clipper checked it doesn't.  You still get the one second or so pause where the successful clip dialogue (with related notes) displays and then disappears.  It seems the option should work, ie, just close the clipper without any other displays..

ScreenClip.png.60dbfe034e82a3c1ce06fb2c258e0ef1.png

• Level 5*
On 7/19/2018 at 8:59 AM, BSR said:
On 7/18/2018 at 9:44 PM, JMichaelTX said:

3.  ESC does not work as a Close Web Clipper (cancel).

Hi @JMichaelTX, thanks for reporting this. I'm unable to reproduce these issues with version 7.4. Does the issues persist after selecting Reset Shortcuts in the Clipper's Shortcuts menu in Settings?

@BSR, thanks for the quick reply.  I took a few days  to respond back to get more experience with Ver 7.4.

1. So, #1 seems to work OK, now.  Not sure why it didn't before.
  2. Still can't remove a specific shortcut.  Pressing normal or forward <delete> does not work.  How can a shortcut  be  cleared?
  3. ESC now works.
  4. But now I can't get the shortcut to Save (Enter by default) to reliably work. 
    1. It seems that if I am in a text field of the Clipper, it does not recognize the ENTER.
    2. How do I move out of a text field?  Pressing TAB doesn't seem to work.

Having said that, the clipper seems to do its main job of "clipping" very well, and pretty fast.  It  may actually be better than Ver 6.

Thanks for continuing to work on the Clipper until you got it fixed.

I'm having the issue that the extension doesn't clip anything when I try to "clip selection", i. e. it also doesn't show any dialogue.

Please see the log file posted in part here.

*edit* Actually sometimes it is starting to load and I try to clip it, but nothing happens, the wheel just keeps spinning.

On 7/20/2018 at 2:27 PM, gazumped said:

AFAIK clipping goes straight to the server copy of your database,  so your tablet and desktop (which both update from there) are probably trying to sync 1300 new notes up to date.  It could take a while.  Meantime - can you see your clips in a browser via Evernote.com?  Delete duplicates from there to shorten the recovery time for your devices.

Hello, I did see the multiplied notes in Evernote Web as well, but had no time to delete 1300 notes one by one. I waited until it synces on notebook and then batch deleted them. 

Yesterday I clipped some research and two notes multiplied - out of about 10. 

The clipper keeps saving and saving one article. I send the log. Could not acces yesterday logs; I will try by best today

log-keeps-saving.txt

saving.txt

• Like 1

I'm seeing a lot of pages that just won't clip from Chrome--the icon just spins and says Saving Your Clip forever.  Tried clip selection; clip article, clip page.  None work.  This began after this update.  Sometimes if I try again, it works, and can be very fast.  Sometimes the only solution is to copy/paste manually.  This will be difficult to repro but I can try to find some pages as examples.  Anyone else seeing this?

• Like 1

I can't get clipping a PDF to work. I'm on Clipper 7.4.1, Chrome 68. 

When I click it, I get this error (I replaced the URL with xxxxxx, since it contains a link to a personal document). I attached the log, with personal info censored between dashes like "--DOCUMENTID--"

Could not capture the page.

Could not fetch 'https://selfservice.travelers.com/api/v1/policies/6014143272031/documents/--DOCUMENTID--?redirectOnError=siteError.html, xhr status: 405'

ClipperLog.txt

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, evermij said:

Due to the restrictions set by the browser

Hi.  The clue is in the message.  Some pages you (or Evernote) are not allowed to clip.  Having said which any screen-grab add-in or a straight copy and paste will probably record most of the information shown.

23 hours ago, evermij said:

"Due to the restrictions set by the browser, you cannot clip this page."

That is often the message you get when trying to clip a local file. Has Chrome downloaded it in the background - you should be able to tell from the url. Easiest solution is probably to save ("download") the file and put it in your import folder.

• Like 1