Should Paste and Match Style (CTRL+SHIFT+V) do what it says for copied titles/headers?

tavor

Idea

• Level 5*

For those who aren't using EN v6.6 yet, you are in for a surprise if you use CTRL+SHIFT+V to Paste and Match Style. In v6.6, there are some bugs in Paste and Match Style, which EN is aware of and aiming to have fixed in v6.7.

Here's the catch - in v6.7, they are going to have Paste and Match Style NOT match the style of the EN note when copying titles/headers ( @Jason Miller is an EN employee; this discussion is from the v6.6GA thread).

1 hour ago, Jason Miller said:

Paste and Match Style - Target is 6.7 - hopefully as soon as the first Beta

Paste and Match style removes these - font, size, color, align, indent, trailing whitespace (note: it won't remove items tagged as Headers (like the title of some articles) ) 

1 hour ago, tavor said:

So how would Paste and Match Style work as intended for titles or other text tagged as Headers? Assume the font, size, color, etc. of the source text?

49 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Yes, with the larger Text size gained from the Header Tag(s) (as in the header tag HTML uses)

What should the desired behavior be?

16 minutes ago, tavor said:

When I choose Paste and Match Style, it's because I want to use the formatting I have in my note. If I wanted the source formatting, I would simply Paste.

At least in my use, copying titles/headings is a very large % of the copying/pasting I do in EN because I want the title and link in an EN note that covers a particular topic for which that source article is reference material. I may have multiple such articles linked within one EN note. So with the proposed Paste and Match Style, I am left with two options:

1. text of differing random sizes and a resulting sloppy looking note (which ironically counteracts Evernote's seeming constant push to prioritize aesthetics even at the expense of functionality/productivity)

2. manually edit the style of items I pasted using Paste and Match Style so that the items actually match the style of the note

I think preserving hyperlinks is a great idea, and it certainly saves me time over my process prior to v6.6, which is to Paste and Match Style, then manually create the hyperlink. But I think Match Style should do just that. We already have simple Paste (CTRL+V) to preserve the formatting of source text.

Please let EN know if you are in favor of their plan or if you prefer Paste and Match Style do what the name implies and actually match the style of the EN note you are pasting into.

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 8/12/2017 at 0:58 PM, jefito said:

Yes, I think that hyperlinks should generally be preserved; you can easily remove them if it doesn't suit, putting them back in is more of a pain.

I'd put line spacing in the category of 'paragraph formatting', and I'd be pretty much in favor of stripping that, since Evernote doesn't allow editing of line spacing. If they did, then it might be okay in cases where you're pasting an actual paragraph or group of paragraphs, if they could detect such a thing in code as distinct from a piece of a paragraph. 

I have seen enough of the web site code that is out there to know that it is a big problem to know exactly what the web designer intended - some have br tags, some have p tags, some use div tags (that I don't understand how to strip out!), and some use some other flavor of html that is not standard. So, yes, paragraph formatting is going to be a challenge until the world accepts a single html code. Please don't hold your breath for that to happen!

Thumbs up on tplus and Exactitude thoughts here.

I look forward to getting my beloved ctrl+shift+v back just the way it was prior to v6.6. It is unusable for me as it is right now. Sometimes smart features are just too smart..

I find myself pasting a lot of information from MS Office applications (mainly Excel) and keeping the formatting of those documents is not suitable to the idea of taking simple notes.

Please, Please, Please. PLEASE bring back a way to have a clean, text only, no formatting paste option.

On 8/23/2017 at 2:15 AM, Exactitude said:

It's useful in many instances where you have a note, which has excerpts gathered from various web pages all in the same note.

My specific scenarios are different and numerous, but otherwise I think Exactitude NAILED it. Evernote is wonderful for gathering various excerpts of info together. But if the result has random/mixed formatting, it's useless, unless you use notepad as a very awkward crutch. This is why paste without formatting (a.k.a. paste plain text) MUST be an option in E.N..

Please, somebody tell me that functionality is going to be in a future version soon. (I'm a forum newb, so not sure if this is indicated elsewhere.)

I used to love the Ctrl Shift V option the way it was before and it's almost impossible to survive without it. I never liked the concept of paste and match formatting since it's always hard to get them to do what is intended. It was awful in Microsoft Word and it is awful now in EN. 

It's useful in many instances where you have a note, which has excerpts gathered from various web pages all in the same note.

For e.g. My Receipt & Tracking IDs note. Whenever I do an online payment, I copy paste the receipt from the web page to my Receipts note. All of these online web pages have a variety of formatting and if I paste all that with formatting my note looks ugly and becomes too big. That's why I just like to paste using Ctrl-Shift-V (without formatting) to get a small simple text of each receipt pasted with a line separator from Evernote, all in the same note.

I want Paste and Match Style to work the way it did before v6.6. There was nothing wrong with it. If this is a bug, there is no reason to consider changing it apart from back to what it was before.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, FactMan said:

the exception of most times wanting to keep hyperlinks in the text (when they are in a list of references the original site has inserted).

Yes, I think that hyperlinks should generally be preserved; you can easily remove them if it doesn't suit, putting them back in is more of a pain.

13 hours ago, FactMan said:

The biggest problem for me is the web sites that I post on that have different formatting - larger fonts than are necessary, that carry over to double (or more) spacing of lines or paragraphs (sometimes both!).

I'd put line spacing in the category of 'paragraph formatting', and I'd be pretty much in favor of stripping that, since Evernote doesn't allow editing of line spacing. If they did, then it might be okay in cases where you're pasting an actual paragraph or group of paragraphs, if they could detect such a thing in code as distinct from a piece of a paragraph. 

• Level 5*

I like @jefito's comments, with perhaps the exception of most times wanting to keep hyperlinks in the text (when they are in a list of references the original site has inserted). The biggest problem for me is the web sites that I post on that have different formatting - larger fonts than are necessary, that carry over to double (or more) spacing of lines or paragraphs (sometimes both!). I know this is not supposed to be a word processor, but when Evernote uses the term "editor" it seems to me that there should be some basic editing functions - line and paragraph spacing included.

• Level 5*

Here are the are the options that I would prefer:

1. Simple Paste: retain the formatting from the original clipboard item, if any. If there isn't, then that should probably just default to Paste and Match Style (see below)
  2. Paste and Match Style: strip existing formatting from the clipboard item, and paste it in as if it had been typed at the paste location
    • Apparently, currently this will retain header marking, so that you get different font sizes for header text; I'm not sure how I feel about this. If I need to select the pasted material and choose a single font height, that's probably easier than adding them back in if they've been stripped off, so that might lead me to accent retention of header-ness.
  3. Paste and Remove Formatting : strip existing formatting from the clipboard item, and paste it in the default format (this may be what people are talking about when they mention pasting 'plain text'.

Simple paste is what I expect for Ctrl+V, and I'd guess that most other people do too

Paste and Match Style is useful to have pasted material match the text I'm pasting into

Paste and Remove Formatting is useful because it makes it easy to start over in the default style, in case that last thing you typed is special, rather needing to type a character, highlight it and set it to default.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Farbauti said:

Please implement CTRL+SHIFT+V as "paste as text/plain" which inserts ASCII/UTF-8 characters only.

Not sure what "ASCII/UTF-8 characters only" covers/excludes.  Are you hijacking this request for something new option

What would be your definition of "paste as text/plain"
Evernote/Mac has this format feature; their interpretation is to remove all formatting from the entire note
Any text will use the default font/size set in preferences

How about a third option, "Paste and Sorta, Kinda, Maybe, Almost, but really not completely Match Style"? :)

Pick a shortcut. I prefer "Ctrl-P-Ctrl-S-Ctrl-K-Ctrl-M-Ctrl-A" for the above, and Ctrl-Shift-V for nothing but text, and Ctrl-V for duplicate the source.

• Level 5*

As I recall "paste and match style" replaced "remove formatting" as the title for this action,  but still seemed to do the same thing.  I agree with @tavor.  If I wanted the style from the clip source I could just choose 'paste'.  I actually tried (unsuccessfully) today to unscramble a jumbled paste with both 'simplify' and 'remove formatting'.  I was aiming for a plain text version of the content if necessary.  Simpler is often better - without big titlles!

Short term of course you can always paste into a text-only app like Notepad to kill the formatting,  but it is an extra step...

Archived