2019 Calendar Templates Read more... ×
Kiefer

Add PDF Directly as a Note

Idea

10 replies to this idea

Upvoted, I would ALSO love to see a PDF/Adobe Add-In! :)

Two requests for PDFs and Adobe Acrobat Files:

1. I would love to see an Adobe Acrobat (PDF) add in so I can clip Acrobat files/PDFs as notes.
  2. Additionally, and similarly, I would like to have a way to attach a PDF as a note (as requested here as well: Piggy-Backing)- 

On 8/30/2016 at 6:12 AM, Kiefer said:

I'd really like an option to just add a PDF as a note rather than as an attachment on the note. It's pretty trivial, but when I'm saving something that's just a PDF (like sheet music for example) it's a little inconvenient to have to open the note and then click the attachment. 

Thanks!

It's really a great idea and a must (other similar application does have the feature).

Despite the fact that, in the Windows application, you can unselect under Tools -> Options -> Notes (in Note Viewing Options) -> unselect "Always show PDF documents as attachments",  this is not available on portable device (smart phone and tablet).

Thanks to take that request in account

On August 29, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Kiefer said:

I'd really like an option to just add a PDF as a note rather than as an attachment on the note. It's pretty trivial, but when I'm saving something that's just a PDF (like sheet music for example) it's a little inconvenient to have to open the note and then click the attachment. 

It's already implemented on the Mac platform.  We have the option of viewing pdfs inline or as attachments.

I upvoted to have this feature added to the other platforms

• Like 2

On August 30, 2016 at 7:17 AM, HEH said:

Two requests for PDFs and Adobe Acrobat Files:

1. I would love to see an Adobe Acrobat (PDF) add in so I can clip Acrobat files/PDFs as notes.
  2. Additionally, and similarly, I would like to have a way to attach a PDF as a note (as requested here as well: Piggy-Backing)- 

I upvoted

On the Mac platform, we have Evernote Helper, a separate app that allows for screen clips, also several options for pdf conversion 

Macs also have the option of viewing pdfs inline or as attachments

Currently on my iPad, I do a photo screen capture, then crop > pdf > EN via the Workflow utility

• Like 1

Yes please! Even in the Mac version it could be better: Just make the inline-view of a PDF that is the whole content of a note window-filling.

Not sure what the issue is -- a PDF file is *always* going to be a part of a note in Evernote: PDF doesn't match the Evernote note format, so it needs to be wrapped up in at least minimal ENML markup (you can't add Evernote tags to a PDF file, for example). And that means that you can add other, non-PDF content to the note, and that a PDF will always be an attachment. Second, the Windows client allows you to view PDF files as "attachments" or as single page display. Could the display be better? Sure: on Windows they use a third-party library to do display (and I guess) annotation; on MacOS PDF support is native.

Oh, and one more thing: in Evernote for WIndows, you can right-click on a note in the note list, and select "Save attachments...".

• Like 2

I can only assume that the original feature request is not regarding either the Windows or the Mac OS applications.  In the Windows application, you can unselect under Tools -> Options -> Notes (in Note Viewing Options) -> unselect "Always show PDF documents as attachments".  With this option unselected all PDF attachments are rendered as viewable documents with their own hover over page navigation tool.

I realize that I am just expanding on something mentioned in jefito's previous comment, regarding the option in the Windows application.

On 8/30/2016 at 6:12 AM, Kiefer said:

Thanks!

"a note rather than as an attachment on the note" -- This is perfect! the iOS pdf situation is just weird. Seriously. Having this random little rounded rectangle taking up 1/3 of the note width. On Mac, it's common to accidentally  select the entire PDF and sometimes delete it by mistake, or even drag it causing the need for a re-sync of the note. 

+1

• Like 1

I would also like to see this as an option. The only way at present to have a pdf embedded in the note rather than as a file attachment is to use the desktop application it seems. All the notes I previously created in Mac os all preview. Anything I add on Android, iOS or the web just show a horrible grey attachment icon. Please fix this, it is ruining my workflow.