Evernote for Mac 6.0.9 and 6.0.10 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we shipped Evernote for Mac 6.0.9 to the Mac App Store and 6.0.10 to direct download customers.  This is a really big release for us.

The new features include:
1) The Evernote service now has 3 account levels: Basic, Plus and Premium.  Basic is still free.  Please read more about it in our blog post.
2) Improved work chat interface - now with a new streamlined chat list, chat bubbles and message grouping.
3) A new Account Info dialog where you can add your profile picture.  
4) For business users, we now separate Business and Personal notebooks on the sidebar.

We also smashed a bunch of bugs in this release.
  • We made lots of note editing and navigating performance improvements.  We know this fixes the issue for many but may not fix everyone’s issue.  For those that the performance fix doesn’t help, we learned via the beta forum that checking Reduce Transparency under the Yosemite Accessibility preference helped.  We have an additional performance fix in 6.0.10 for people with a large number of contacts.
  • Fixed an issue where dragging Apple mail into Evernote would fail to become an attachment.
  • Fixed an Evernote Menu app issue where taking screenshots with multiple monitors would sometimes result in the wrong part of the screen getting clipped.
  • Improved the Evernote share extension allowing it to work with more web sites.
  • Fixed an issue where iWork apps dragged from iCloud drive weren’t able to be edited.
  • Fixed an issue where iWork previews were blurry.
  • Improved image copy and paste to Gmail and a number of other apps.
  • Improved the audio note interface and reliability.
  • Fixed an issue where <msg/> would appear in a work chat snippet if a Windows user sent a blank message.
  • Fixed an issue where attachments weren’t remembering their view inline or close state.
  • Fixed an issue where notes created with the Evernote helper couldn’t be found.
  • In 6.0.10, we fixed a search issue where notes created on another platform wasn’t getting added to spotlight or regular Evernote search.
  • Fixed a crash when the user changes the columns in note list view.  This only works on the direct download version because of Mac App Store restrictions.
  • Fixed a crash when sending work chat messages.
  • Fixed a crash when switching accounts.
  • Apple fixed an issue where hitting a dash would auto-complete the tag so there was no way to enter tags with dashes.  This was a Yosemite only issue and Apple fixed it in 10.10.3 so if you were seeing this issue please upgrade.
  • Finally, upgrades are now a lot smaller so downloading updates should be faster in the future.
Thanks again for helping the Evernote Mac community.  Let us know if you see any issues. 

48 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

In addition to sign out, restart Evernote, and sign in, you may have to also do a manual sync before EN Mac recognizes that you have a Premium account.

I just upgraded my mac to 6.0.10 and now the top of my windows says Evernote Basic but my subscription is Premium.

Previously the title acknowledged the Premium subscription.  So is it just a label bug in the title or have I been downgraded to Basic?

Anyone else see this and know an explanation.

If you were a Premium user and the Mac client now thinks you're a Basic user please try logging out and logging back in. This should restore everything back to normal. For some people their latest service level isn't getting updated properly after upgrading.

• Level 5*

https://evernote.com/download/get.php?file=EvernoteMacshould be serving up 6.0.10. Let me know if you still see issues.

So sorry to be a bother, but that link is showing me Evernote_RELEASE_6.0.8_451396.dmg

Chris, I'm getting "Evernote_RELEASE_6.0.10_451564.dmg"

You might try restarting your browser, or using a different browser.

I'm using Chrome Version 42.0.2311.90 (64-bit).

Chris, I bet your browser has cached the previous location. Are you unable to update in-app?

That was stupid of me...yes, of course. I tried another browser and the link is fine. Sorry about that.

But, just in case this is interesting...when the in-app upgrade occured, EN restarted and told me I was missing some fonts and needed to install them or EN would crash. I got past the prompts and things worked, but I quit and decided to re-install thinking that it would re-install the fonts, if necesary (since I had just migrated to a new Mac). I went to the public site, it downloaded the old version (without me noticing), and installed it - replacing the version that had just upgraded. Then, when trying to start the app again, I get a message that tells me my database is managed by a newer version and I should upgrade...thus the attempt to download the new version again.

https://evernote.com/download/get.php?file=EvernoteMacshould be serving up 6.0.10. Let me know if you still see issues.

So sorry to be a bother, but that link is showing me Evernote_RELEASE_6.0.8_451396.dmg

Chris, I'm getting "Evernote_RELEASE_6.0.10_451564.dmg"

You might try restarting your browser, or using a different browser.

I'm using Chrome Version 42.0.2311.90 (64-bit).

Yes, got it. Should have considered that but you lose all sense when you can't get to your notes! Thanks, all!

Welcome to the latest installment of Unsuspecting Beta-testers, where our contestants are lured into installing a new version of a product by the promise of new functionality, but instead find out they are the quality assurance team for the company.

Another one for the issue of checking the "advanced notebook view" and being unable to uncheck it, despite restarts.

Also, I am unable to get the "Upgrade your team" item off my sidebar. I remove it via View > Sidebar > Upgrade your team, but when I restart, it is right back there.

Also, every time I restart, my tags in my sidebar are all opened up (the branches and sub tags are all visible), rather than my default which is closed.

Download and install to 6.0.10 was noticeably faster than past installs, thank you!

I did notice that the preference menu option to include betas in updates had been unselected after the update – everything else seems to have transitioned without a problem.

The Account Info menu could be more useful. It doesn't seem to provide any useful information and while I know there is no longer a data allowance for premium, this space could probably be used to better communicate subscription level at a minimum (it's not exactly apparent if the three circles indicate your level of subscription or just indicating the possible levels).

Thanks for the feedback.  There is a checkmark in the circle indicating your account level and as you say it's supposed to indicate the other levels you can upgrade or downgrade to.  If you're premium it only shows Premium.  We also change the title bar.  In any case that's really great feedback that it wasn't really obvious to you.

I am Premium, but I see "Evernote Basic" in the header of the application, and when I click on "Upgrade" in the sidebar, it shows the three options, with Premium checked. 

I just upgraded my mac to 6.0.10 and now the top of my windows says Evernote Basic but my subscription is Premium.

Previously the title acknowledged the Premium subscription.  So is it just a label bug in the title or have I been downgraded to Basic?

Anyone else see this and know an explanation.

If you were a Premium user and the Mac client now thinks you're a Basic user please try logging out and logging back in. This should restore everything back to normal. For some people their latest service level isn't getting updated properly after upgrading.

Another one for the issue of checking the "advanced notebook view" and being unable to uncheck it, despite restarts.

Also, I am unable to get the "Upgrade your team" item off my sidebar. I remove it via View > Sidebar > Upgrade your team, but when I restart, it is right back there.

Also, every time I restart, my tags in my sidebar are all opened up (the branches and sub tags are all visible), rather than my default which is closed.

Is anyone else seeing an issue where the sidebar settings are not retained?

Chris, I bet your browser has cached the previous location. Are you unable to update in-app?

That was stupid of me...yes, of course. I tried another browser and the link is fine. Sorry about that.

But, just in case this is interesting...when the in-app upgrade occured, EN restarted and told me I was missing some fonts and needed to install them or EN would crash. I got past the prompts and things worked, but I quit and decided to re-install thinking that it would re-install the fonts, if necesary (since I had just migrated to a new Mac). I went to the public site, it downloaded the old version (without me noticing), and installed it - replacing the version that had just upgraded. Then, when trying to start the app again, I get a message that tells me my database is managed by a newer version and I should upgrade...thus the attempt to download the new version again.

The reason we put a check for the version is that the database could change between releases and may no longer be compatible especially if you've used a newer version and are trying to go back to an older one. This could really mess things up.

In regards to the fonts, you might want to check your Font Book to see if you've turned off some of these fonts. Sometimes fonts also get corrupted and you may need to reinstall the fonts. We're detecting that there is an issue with the font but we can't necessarily distinguish between a font that is turned off or a font that isn't loading properly.

Despite I disable the (horrible and useless) advanced notbook view, it remain present even after the restart...no way to remove this thing..!!

I can confirm this. Advanced notebook view remains after restarting it. Very clever, guys — but I'm still not gonna use it  ;)

this worked for me. thanks!

I also can't unselect the Advanced Notebook View. Logged out/in, I'm still stuck with it. Please, please, please fix.

As others have stated, this "advanced" view is a real impact on productivity. I can't tell you how annoying and error-prone it is to have to scroll through my long list of notebooks as opposed to being able to easily see them all at once. What's the thought-process behind it? Is this just an early (and unusable) version of it?

Is anyone else seeing an issue where the sidebar settings are not retained?

Yes, I'm a Premium User and 'Upgrade Your Team' reappears after each restart--annoying.

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Indentation is Lost after Paste & Sync

EN Mac Ver 6.0.10

Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Select ALL of code in AppleScript Editor
  2. Create new EN Note
  3. Paste (CMD-V) in this Note
  4. Observe how all indents are preserved (as shown in AS Editor)
  5. Click on another Note
  6. Click back to this Note
  7. Observe how all indents are still preserved
  8. Click on SYNC icon/button in EN toolbar to sync EN Mac with EN Cloud
  9. Observe how all indents in Note have been removed.

Seems to be fixed in 6.0.10. Cool, thanks!   :)

It's not fixed for me in 6.0.10, running Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.5).

In a new Note, the initial paste (from AppleScript) retains the indents properly.

Indents are even retained after clicking on another note, then back to this note.

But, after I sync, the indents are removed.

• Level 5*

How do we turn off the "advanced notebook view"? Once I turn it on, I cannot turn it off again.

Thanks!

Well, first you have to be able and willing to read.

Did you read the post immediately above yours?

We just released 6.0.12 for direct download customers which has fixes for the weird Mavericks scrolling issue and the ability to hide the Upgrade button for Plus and Premium users.  Please upgrade if you would like either of those issues fixed.  You can read more about it and follow any discussions about the new release at the 6.0.12 release forum post.  http://bit.ly/1B8EucM.  

Despite I disable the (horrible and useless) advanced notbook view, it remain present even after the restart...no way to remove this thing..!!

I'm experiencing the same thing. After unselecting the advanced notebook option in the preferences menu and restarting Evernote, the option becomes re-selected and the advanced notebook view persists.

OK.  Thanks.  I'll keep looking into this.

Download and install to 6.0.10 was noticeably faster than past installs, thank you!

I did notice that the preference menu option to include betas in updates had been unselected after the update – everything else seems to have transitioned without a problem.

The Account Info menu could be more useful. It doesn't seem to provide any useful information and while I know there is no longer a data allowance for premium, this space could probably be used to better communicate subscription level at a minimum (it's not exactly apparent if the three circles indicate your level of subscription or just indicating the possible levels).

I'm experiencing the same thing. After unselecting the advanced notebook option in the preferences menu and restarting Evernote, the option becomes re-selected and the advanced notebook view persists.

That shouldn't be.  Investigating.  

By the way, did you quit and relaunch the app?  You have to do this before the old notebook view re-appears.

Thanks for the feedback.  There is a checkmark in the circle indicating your account level and as you say it's supposed to indicate the other levels you can upgrade or downgrade to.  If you're premium it only shows Premium.  We also change the title bar.  In any case that's really great feedback that it wasn't really obvious to you.

I haven't seen this clearly defined anywhere, but does basic image OCR still exist for free (and now Plus) users? In the past, more advanced files had always been Premium only, but basic image OCR was always free.

• Level 5*

After update to Ver 6.0.10 (from Ver 6.0.7), my Account Type showed as "Evernote Basic", in both the Account Info screen, and the Evernote Main window title.  I tried signout/signin and restart of my Mac, but no change.

Verified my Premium status at Evernote.com.

Running Mac OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite.

EN Mac did NOT update my Account Type to Premium until I did a sync.

OK.  Thanks.  I'll keep looking into this.

I am experiencing the same thing. Even uninstalled the program (6.0.10) and the advanced notebook view persisted.

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Can NOT Go Back to "Old" Notebook View

EN Mac Ver 6.0.10 (NEW Bug)

Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Yep, I'm seeing the same behavior as below posters.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. After update to 6.0.10, view Notebooks to confirm "old" view is still in place.
  2. Open EN Preferences > Software Update, and check "Enable advanced notebook view"
  3. Click "Restart now" when prompted after closing Preferences.
  4. Evernote now quits, and restarts
  5. Go to Notebook view, and yes it shows the new "advanced" (which it is not) layout.
  6. Open EN Preferences > Software Update, and UNCHECK "Enable advanced notebook view"
  7. Click "Restart now" when prompted after closing Preferences.
  8. Evernote now quits, and restarts
  9. Go to Notebook view, and yes it STILL shows the new "advanced" layout. (it should have reverted to the "old" view)
  10. Open EN Preferences > Software Update, and observe that  "Enable advanced notebook view" is CHECKED, even though I unchecked it just prior to the last EN restart.

Thanks Marcus! Yeah, I had to check my account online to verify that my subscription properly transitioned as premium as I couldn't tell by looking at the Account Info menu. Though, after verifying it become clear that the three circle signify subscription status. I hope I'm able to communicate my thought process well enough.

In any case, thank you for being responsive and communicating with us so well.

I haven't seen this clearly defined anywhere, but does basic image OCR still exist for free (and now Plus) users? In the past, more advanced files had always been Premium only, but basic image OCR was always free.

Yes, OCR for images remains across Basic, Plus and Premium tiers. 

• Level 5*

I had one account that showed as Premium and one as Basic. Signing out and then in 'upgraded' the Basic to Premium.

Was this the same account on 2 different machines or 2 different accounts on the same machine?

Two different accounts on the same machine.

• Level 5*

@Jack:

Your link works for me.

But Marcus usually puts a direct link to the update in the OP of the update thread (like this one).

Please continue to do this.  It is very useful/convenient, and when anyone needs to revert to a prior version it is easy to do so.

Thanks.

Archived