HOW TO GET OLD VERSION BACK - MUST READ!

JamieD

Like Everyone on here I was so upset over the new update that totally ruined penultimate and my life as it was how I took notes for school....I was about the freak out and loose my fricking mind!!!!

It would not let me write and when it did it was not legible. I have very neat handwriting so apparently the app is not working properly. However you can get the old version back but you need to do this fast. 

Step 1 - Go into your IPAD settings under app store and click off the automatic updates for apps. 

Step 2 - Delete the Penultimate APP from your IPAD

Step 3 - Connect your IPAD to your ITUNES

Step 4 - Go to APPS and you should have the old version of Penultimate in there - Hit Install and re-login to your account...Everything will sync back over and you will be happy again!!!! Rainbows will appear and your heart will rejoice and you will never ever update Penultimate again!!! 

I am so super stoked to have my old version back that actually works!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Thanks a lot for the tip, I was able to recover the notebooks! The updated version was apparently created by the people who never used Penultimate. This is very annoying. I have to turn off auto App update on my iPad...

Like Everyone on here I was so upset over the new update that totally ruined penultimate and my life as it was how I took notes for school....I was about the freak out and loose my fricking mind!!!!

It would not let me write and when it did it was not legible. I have very neat handwriting so apparently the app is not working properly. However you can get the old version back but you need to do this fast. 

Step 1 - Go into your IPAD settings under app store and click off the automatic updates for apps. 

Step 4 - Go to APPS and you should have the old version of Penultimate in there - Hit Install and re-login to your account...Everything will sync back over and you will be happy again!!!! Rainbows will appear and your heart will rejoice and you will never ever update Penultimate again!!! 

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I don't have the original on my computer or my ipad. SIGH. 

I hate the new Penultimate. 

GOOD LUCK!!!!

YES IT WORKED!!!! Now I can stop kicking my dog. BTW did you see my cat?

I can't get files from Dropbox because they are different (new) format but I don't care! I've got my Penutimate back. Hey dummies at Evergreen, why do you think they called it Penultimate? Huh? Because it was the ultimate pen app for the iPad. Any and all changes make it worse! $80 pen !BS. You can have this slogan free of charge:"Evergreen losing one customer at a time."

I am using the latest version of iTunes and IOS and using the latest Mac OS.   I am trying to change back to the prior version of Penultimate.   I had already backed up with the new version, so I had to use the instructions above to attempt to transfer the old Penultimate version from my trash folder and drop it into the iTunes folder.  That got it there successfully.   Now the new problem:   in trying to sync, I get the error message that says "computer no longer authorized to sync with this computer."  i followed instructions and re-authorized this computer with my original iTunes ID (I will call ID 1) and it said computer was already authorized as 5 of 5.   Then, because along the way some time ago, I had ended up with a second ID ( I will call ID 2)  I re-authorized my computer and it said it was already authorized 1 or 5.  I tried signing out and back in on the Ipad and Mac using ID1 and trying again, then with ID2 and trying again.  No luck.   I also tried rebooting the Mac and trying again, and signing in and out as administrator and trying again.  

So here I sit, with the 5.x version sitting there in the menu and with me unable to sync it, and with the 6.0 gone.   I also noticed that the new 6.0 is not in the app store any longer, so there is no way to download that now.   

Any ideas?   As much as the 6.X version has problems and dysfunctionalities, I would rather have that working for work tomorrow than having nothing.   

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.   

Thanks! 

Great post. It worked. I'm a design strategist who works in User Experience. Whoever designed this app should be fired. The ramifications of messing with one's journals and work notes is huge. Luckily I was able to get everything back into the previous version, but if I hadn't, I would have lost days if not weeks of work. This experience has now made me think seriously about going back to pen and paper.

Many, many thanks for this simple fix.  It's rather unfortunate Evernote decided to update Penultimate with a version that is so completely useless. Even though I would like the landscape view on my iPad, it's not worth the inability to flip pages safely.

I am using the latest version of iTunes and IOS and using the latest Mac OS.   I am trying to change back to the prior version of Penultimate.   I had already backed up with the new version, so I had to use the instructions above to attempt to transfer the old Penultimate version from my trash folder and drop it into the iTunes folder.  That got it there successfully.   Now the new problem:   in trying to sync, I get the error message that says "computer no longer authorized to sync with this computer."  i followed instructions and re-authorized this computer with my original iTunes ID (I will call ID 1) and it said computer was already authorized as 5 of 5.   Then, because along the way some time ago, I had ended up with a second ID ( I will call ID 2)  I re-authorized my computer and it said it was already authorized 1 or 5.  I tried signing out and back in on the Ipad and Mac using ID1 and trying again, then with ID2 and trying again.  No luck.   I also tried rebooting the Mac and trying again, and signing in and out as administrator and trying again.  

So here I sit, with the 5.x version sitting there in the menu and with me unable to sync it, and with the 6.0 gone.   I also noticed that the new 6.0 is not in the app store any longer, so there is no way to download that now.   

Any ideas?   As much as the 6.X version has problems and dysfunctionalities, I would rather have that working for work tomorrow than having nothing.   

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.   

Thanks! 

I had to get back to work, so I knuckled under and decided to restore 6.x, figuring it was better than no app at all.   I still could not the Penultimate 5.x ipa file removed from my computer so that it could sync.   I also could not find 6.x directly listed on the app store any longer, so here is how I restored:   I found 6.x indirectly, by searching the internet for "best handwriting iPad apps."   Among the others, penultimate (with the 5.x icon) appeared, so I clicked on it and it took me to the app store and there was the 6.x version that I couldn't find elsewhere.   I downloaded it.  iTunes would still not sync with my computer, and it couldn't delete the non-functional 5.x icon, so I decided to backup to the iCloud with 5.x marked for deletion.   That worked.   Once that occurred, I was able to start syncing with BOTH the iCloud and iTunes on the computer, because the 5.x was then gone, The suboptimal 6.x is on the iPad now.  I'm still unhappy with it, but I'm limping along with it until the development team restores the lost functionality in their next version.   I'm just passing this technique to you in case anyone ended up in the same syncing nightmare that I did and wasn't able to sort it out.   

Tom 

I have been a Premium users for years and this is the first time I have been absolutely furious with Evernote.

Thank goodness for those of you who figured out how to reverse this stupid upgrade. My 25 notebooks became 25 notes and I could only see the first page of each. No pull down menus, no getting around the screen, notes flipped  to wrong orientation .... what a mess.  I have loved and trusted everything Evernote ... until now.  I'm thinking seriously of doing my hand notes in a different program because I can't afford to loose them.  I thought this was going to be great to be able to store them with all my other Evernote stuff but I couldn't even get that far.

And I'm sure not going to pay $75 for a e-pen for one app.

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD FOLKS!  

and try Beta Testing and asking your users first before shoving out an upgrade.....  we'll tell you if it works.  AND this didn't

I have the old program back and am now waiting for 25 full notebooks to re-sync...... well I guess it beats completely losing them.

Hi folks. Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way. I've connected my iPad air, accessed My iPad Apps under iTunes store on my MacBook and I located three previous version of Penultimate but I don't see an I install prompt. All I see is update.

Your assistance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

has anyone heard from Evernote on this?  The upgrade has destroyed my notebooks and its going to take me a long time to figure them out and fix.   I had 25 or so notebooks and now they are all under one "blob" that I have to figure out.    I also can't seem to move things between the blobs.   

Evernote:  While I'm sure you had a lot of people who worked hard on this version, its unusable.  It completely doesn't map to how we used the tool.

... Earlier quote deleted....

[\quote]

I had to get back to work, so I knuckled under and decided to restore 6.x, figuring it was better than no app at all.   I still could not the Penultimate 5.x ipa file removed from my computer so that it could sync.   I also could not find 6.x directly listed on the app store any longer, so here is how I restored:   I found 6.x indirectly, by searching the internet for "best handwriting iPad apps."   Among the others, penultimate (with the 5.x icon) appeared, so I clicked on it and it took me to the app store and there was the 6.x version that I couldn't find elsewhere.   I downloaded it.  iTunes would still not sync with my computer, and it couldn't delete the non-functional 5.x icon, so I decided to backup to the iCloud with 5.x marked for deletion.   That worked.   Once that occurred, I was able to start syncing with BOTH the iCloud and iTunes on the computer, because the 5.x was then gone, The suboptimal 6.x is on the iPad now.  I'm still unhappy with it, but I'm limping along with it until the development team restores the lost functionality in their next version.   I'm just passing this technique to you in case anyone ended up in the same syncing nightmare that I did and wasn't able to sort it out.   

Tom

Try dropping the 5.3 .ipa file into the iTunes app window, instead of putting in the app folder directly. That worked for me.

Hi folks. Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way. I've connected my iPad air, accessed My iPad Apps under iTunes store on my MacBook and I located three previous version of Penultimate but I don't see an I install prompt. All I see is update.

Your assistance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You need to switch from the view of iTunes to the view of the iPad. On the iPad view I was able to select the Penultimate app (even though I deleted the new app from the iPad) and there was an option there to install.

I wish I would have read this earlier.. The new App is completely useless... I can't believe how a team can ***** up a great product like this. I have the Adonis Jot Pro and it used to work GREAT.. Now I can't even write one word. The cool zoom is now horrible... I'm so depressed I don't know what to do. If you are reading this you are probably too late (like me) but please call your friends and family and advise them NOT TO UPGRADE! 

I'm furious! I did exactly what was described here to get old penultimate back, but didn't get the last 2 years of notebooks. Great disappointment, evernote! You are messing with my work!

Are those "lost" penultimate notebooks still visible from the Evernote application?

Evernote has neglected to answer the hundreds of pleas to re-post the old version for those of us who need it.   I regret that my only alternative was to switch to a competitor:  As of this morning, I now have paid $5.99 for Goodnotes.  I was one of the lucky ones to have my files synced with Evernote.   To get my 700+ work files from Evernote to Goodnotes, I used CloudHQ to synchronize Evernote to Google Drive, and then imported all of the Google Drive contents into Goodnotes.   The previous Penultimate files appear as pdf files that you cannot modify for your prior entries, but you can add to them.   

I wish I had switched sooner.   Goodnotes does pretty much everything that Penultimate 5.x did without the "downgrades" in Penultimate 6.0 (but with a similar look and feel to 5.x), and it also has a lot of features that Penultimate did not have.  

Sorry Penultimate and Evernote, but "bye bye" for your lack of responsiveness in restoring 5.x to us as we overwhelmingly requested.   

Everyone -- I think I've found a few things that make this new version tolerable.  To be clear, its still terrible but I think these help make it usable.    First, I put the penultimate notebooks in the right evernote notebooks online.   This takes a while to replicate down to your device -- don't panic as I did -- this at least organizes the notebooks in some form of order.   While it adds a step to getting to a penultimate notebook, it at least makes the organization make some sense.  Second, there's a setting for notebook titles in the tool settings.  When installed, this defaults to OFF -- no idea why -- when you turn it on, your note book titles reappear.   This is very helpful.  

To Evernote -- you might think about spending a little bit of time in the upgrade process.  You had settings wrong and your conversion of the notebooks was really awful!

Whoo-hoo! I got the old version back and my notebooks. Now I just have to remember to NEVER hit the "update all" button and update my apps individually...that is until I hear that an update that is merely a tweet of the original, not this "new and improved" abomination, is released. Thanks for the tip on getting my stuff back.

Some are saying that the new 6.0 is Evernote's push to get us to buy the Bluetooth enabled stylus. It's not. And here's why. The bluetooth enabled stylus (or e-pen as some are calling it) is useless with the 6.0 because when the stylus is connected, Penultimate ignores fingers and palms on the page. And because 6.0 removed the ability to flip to a new page, that means you have to disconnect your stylus to use your two fingers to scroll to a new page.

This is one of the things I noticed when I upgraded to 6.0. First, I was irritated that Penultimate was no longer operating like a notebook. I like the fact that the Bluetooth enabled stylus connects faster and easier in 6.0, but to scroll down to a new page, I had to turn the stylus off. I mean, if I'm in mid-thought, the last I want to do is make 2 or 3 clicks while I'm in my stream of consciousness. 

This was a RIDICULOUS upgrade. I wanted to pour sticky pop all over the developers', project managers' and product managers' heads for green-lighting this hot-mess of an upgrade. When creatives are creating we don't want technology to get into the way. And while I like the highlighting feature and the ability to sync my stylus ALOT faster, it pales in comparison to the mess Evernote made of this upgrade. 

• Ex Employees

Jamie D - the old version no longer is shown in the app store. Any ideas? I am frantic and totally SOOL since my business was so linked to Penultimate 5. 

Are you missing data after the Penultimate 6 download?

Augie,

You would need to get an older version of Penultimate, for instance by using Time Machine and restoring that version from an old iTunes folder.

Once the old app is restored onto your Desktop (or wherever else), erase version 6.0 from your current iTunes folder and import the older version into it.

You also need to erase version 6 from your iPad. Be sure to SAVE your Penltuimate files to Evernote BEFORE you do so.

Once your files have been saved to Evernote, erase Penultimate 6 from your iPad, then install version 5 from iTunes and launch it.

All your files saved to Evernote will reappear into your renewed OLD version of Penultimate. This might take a while; be sure to set the iPad's "sleep mode" to "never" while you do so--the process will take less time.

Jamie D - the old version no longer is shown in the app store. Any ideas? I am frantic and totally SOOL since my business was so linked to Penultimate 5. 

GOOD LUCK!!!!

didn't work for me either. As I hadn't used iTunes at all on that iPad. Fortunately it didn't lose my notes. I found them after syncing. Phew! that was a close shave.

• 4 weeks later...

A thousand thanks! I thought it was all over between Penultimate and me I am so happy to get the old version back. It's like waking up from a bad dream. I use Penultimate a lot and love it's integration with Evernote but 6.0 was such an utter abomination that I was ready to stop using both apps. Their socalled updates that followed 6.0 were more of a "***** you" than any sign of real concern for the overwhelming preference of their customers.

I don' t know what happened to their development team. Maybe they were attacked by brain eating zombies. but it doesn't matter now. My sweet old Penultimate/Evernote system is back.

Thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, being the technophobe I sometimes am, it's somewhat comforting to know I'm in the same boat with a bunch more people. That would be the SSWhatTheF__k. I posed another question to the community about a problem with the original Penultimate and after a trip to the Apple Store today, a Genius helped me delete the app and download it again and I was greeted with the horrifying "new" version of Penultimate. I see my passionate hatred for this stupid "upgrade" is shared far and wide. Someone sent me the link to this thread in hopes it will help me get back to the devil I know because this new version SUCKS. Here's my probably dumb question: Before I delete stuff and try getting the old version back: are all of my notebooks safe on Evernote as I'm imagining I'll have to sync my Evernote with the new "old" Penultimate version if I can download it again. I have a whole bunch of proprietary info in those notebooks I need to get to my bosses and if I lose it, I might as well slit my wrists now. I think there used to be a way to email your notebooks to yourself so you could save them on your desktop on your lap top? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

@DolphinGirl, ARE the old notes in your new Penultimate? If they are, you're safe; otherwise they'd have vanished when you installed new Penultimate.

if you haven't installed the Evernote app on your iPad, I suggest that you do so (it's free) and sign in with the credentials you used for Penultimate. Open up Evernote, check in the "Penultimate" notebook, and see whether your old Penultimate notes are there. Again, if they are, you're safe, and you can go ahead and try to get old Penultimate back.

If you have a desktop or laptop, just install the desktop version of Evernote. Sign in with the same credentials you used for Penultimate. Again, your Penultimate notes should be inside the "Penultimate" notebook.

New Penultimate won't let you email notes, as far as I know. :(

OTOH, you may just want to go to that desktop or laptop version of Evernote, select all those notes, and export them as HTML. Not that reverting to Penultimate That Worked will delete them (it didn't when I did that).  :) It's just that as an Ancient Software Engineer, I firmly believe that when having software problems (especially with new software that was released too soon) You Can't Have Too Many Backups. . . . In fact, You Can't Have Too Many Backups. Period.

Assuming your notes are safe in Evernote, and you CAN'T get Penultimate That Worked back, if all else fails you have those HTML notes and you can bundle the appropriate ones up as ZIP files and send them to your clients, or you can open them with a browser, print them to PDF and send the result to your clients. A pain in the b__t, but your data isn't lost, just inconveniently formatted.

• 9 months later...

Thanks for all the informative and helpful posts and advice. I too used to adore Penultimate and use it for everything at work. I now find it nigh on unusable....

Advice all makes sense...  The only problem I have is that clearly at some point I must have deleted old apps that were downloaded?

Does anyone know anywhere online I could download penultimate 5.3.1.ipa (afraid I have failed to find it) or perhaps even have a version on their computer they could email me?

Many thanks,

Jaime

Archived