Penultimate 5.0 version

Bardolobo

Idea

At last, after so many requests, we get the zoom feature in Penultimate...sadly, those of us with an ipad 1gen are out in the cold, since zoom is only supported in iOS 6 or later.

Come on guys! That's a feature in a lot of handwriting apps that you can use in iOS 5 (myself using Upad instead of Penultimate for elaborated notes just because that) so it shouldn't be soooo difficult to turn it of for us!

It has been a big disappointment for me. My ipad is still working very well so it's clear I'm not gonna change it for a new version just because Penultimate, so I'll have to stick with Upad and a workaround instead of automatic sync with Evernote.

30 replies to this idea

Have to add a voice of dissent: I actually like the new implementation and find it easier to write than with other apps that provide a zoom feature (e.g. Notability). The light image of the whole page under the zoomed page is very clever, so I can see where I am on the page.

The only thing I find a little clunky is the initial zoom from the full page, which is a bit clunky and has a tendency to 'over-zoom'. Also not sure if there is a way to turn the page from the zoomed mode, or do you need to zoom back out before doing so (as I'm doing at the moment).

Just my two bobs' worth. It's certainly worth giving a try.

I'm all for thoughtful dissent and constructive discussion.  I love it when people on the Internet provide that.  :)

For me, the issue of whether or not the current zoom mode is good is irrelevant because:

a) Zoom mode is accidentally entered way too often.

B) The non-zoom mode is broken... it appears that certain small characters (9 and + do it for me) trigger the "Paste" button to pop up.

Those two things make Penultimate almost unusable (for me).

I am confident that they will fix this, however; it's too broken not to.

@geoloser, i would just kill the Penultimate process (double tap home button, and swipe it up if you're on iOS7, or dobule tap home button and hold Penultimate icon until it wobbles, then click the cross). When you Load Penultiate again, it'll probably be a lot better, although it is dependant on the stylus you are using.

Sorry, vurtual, haven't tracked this topic.  I have tried that, no joy.

However, in the last week or so, it appears to have been fixed.  I had submitted a ticket and they appeared to be working on it.  At any rate I haven't had a problem in several days, even though I don't recall any actual update.

edit:spelling

• Level 5

Two fingers and expand in a "reverse pinch".

To go back, start wide and pinch narrow.

Just like you do to zoom in and out in the Photo app.

Have to add a voice of dissent: I actually like the new implementation and find it easier to write than with other apps that provide a zoom feature (e.g. Notability). The light image of the whole page under the zoomed page is very clever, so I can see where I am on the page.

The only thing I find a little clunky is the initial zoom from the full page, which is a bit clunky and has a tendency to 'over-zoom'. Also not sure if there is a way to turn the page from the zoomed mode, or do you need to zoom back out before doing so (as I'm doing at the moment).

I have to ask... how does one implement the "zoom" while writing? I'm using Penultimate 5.0.2, a Jot Pro stylus, and I stumbled on the zoom (writing shows small segments of the screen larger) and then it stopped.  I have no idea how I "found" it, or how to get it back, even after reading/watching the guides.

I like the "zoom" I found, it makes it easier to write neatly within the page and not get your hand caught making stray marks (you're actually writing at the bottom of the screen even if the text is at the top of the page).

How do I get that back????

CZ

@geoloser, i would just kill the Penultimate process (double tap home button, and swipe it up if you're on iOS7, or dobule tap home button and hold Penultimate icon until it wobbles, then click the cross). When you Load Penultiate again, it'll probably be a lot better, although it is dependant on the stylus you are using.

I bought the Adonit pen and tried with penultimate and other inking apps. Although the look and feel if the Adonit is the best I've tried to date, it was just too laggy for me. Penultimate is unusable for me. I had been using Notes + and Notability. Back to the trusty Livescribe Wifi.

Drift is OK for me, but wrist protection is crummy.  I haven't disabled gestures but guess I will.  The zoom is OK, since I can see a "whole paper view" in faint text in the background.  But I continue to write too far to the right of the paper edge..it's tough to tell where on the paper you are in zoom.

I'm having a problem with ink calibration, my ink is way off from my stylus....I've started a post about this and am hoping someone knows a fix.  click my name and see the post, please, if you have a fix.

Well, the latest app update has fixed the problems for me. I can now write on no-zoom and the letters don't disappear. In fact, it's better than it was because I can now start writing right up against the 'spine' of the notebook whereas before it would only work if I started away from the edge and moved towards it.

I'm pleased to have it working again!

• Level 5

[cross-post] 

On the other hand I seem to be struggling with spurious wrist input with this version versus yesterday.  It's doable, but seems to require more work.

Wacom Bamboo stylus, iPad 3, iOS 7.0.3

• Level 5

FWIW I cannot duplicate many of the issues here. The wrist protection is still a little hot or miss, I seem to leave small dots behind below the text. But it's no worse for me than the previous version. I can't seem to accidentally trigger anything. Zoom and drift are working really well...

This on an ipad 3, iOS 7.

Although I am pleased they are try to make improvements for me this last update will probably push me away for a while.  Whatever was changed made it so that when I am writing fairly quickly that letters like M and N disappear after I write them and it takes like 3 times before they finally "stick" to the page.  This makes it too time consuming and I will probably be in search of another app. 

Also not having a pen selection that can be turned transparent to go back through notes and highlight this is something that has been requested many times and never seems to make the cut either.

Very disappointed with this.  Please provide a fix even if it is just issuing the Old version as an update.

I'd love to downgrade too - but I never sync my devices with iTunes (I just use iCloud for everything). Do you know if you can downgrade if you do not have a previous version of the app in iTunes?

I haven't done this, but it sounds like others may have.  I'd be concerned about losing data due to any subtle behind-the-scenes data format changes.

If you do this, please make sure you back up your notebooks just in case.  ;)

I totally agree with TDeep! 

Due to the issue with the "Paste" button popping up all the time, the app is useless, and I have downgraded (just google "downgrade app" to see how). Until two days ago I loved Penultimate. Used it every day for notetaking, etc. 

I am waiting eagerly for a bug free release!

I'd love to downgrade too - but I never sync my devices with iTunes (I just use iCloud for everything). Do you know if you can downgrade if you do not have a previous version of the app in iTunes?

Right, in all honesty, the zoom/drift function will probably evolve into something very useful. I'm forcing myself to use it, and it's growing on me. It has it's benefits - my handwriting certainly looks neater, and I can fit more on a page. However, here are a few suggestions to EN Devs to improve it to a point where it is is a really good function, plus reminders of a few ongoing problems.

1. Remove pinch to zoom. That is causing issues for times when you don't wish to use zoom/drift. A button among the tools should suffice. By the way, here is a tip for everyone - put your tools on top (find that in settings). It stops you from palming through pages.
  2. User control over the amount of zoom - 150-300% should be enough. This could be a slider in the zoom display's toolbar.
  3. The current method of getting to the next line isn't great when taking quick notes, it's just not accessible enough with a stylus in your hand. It could (possibly) be automatic. Make any mark in the last, say 5% of the page's width, and then wait for 0.5 - 1 second without input (to allow i dots, t crosses and punctuation) then hop to the next line (this requires testing for the most natural delay). Alternatively, one of the other note taking apps - I honestly can't remember which - allows you to draw a sort of backwards L, down and then across to go to the next line. I liked that personally, and it worked well (same app allowed you to draw a right to left line through text to delete it quickly, which was great).
  4. Have another look at wrist protection. It's no longer working well for me in either zoomed in or out mode, and sounds like I'm not alone
  5. There seems to be a sensitivity issue with Paste in zoomed out mode (not even sure you can do it in zoomed in mode...?). Please look at that.
  6. Please, please, please, make Penultimate match ENs folder structure! It takes too much time to find the right workbook sometimes

I'm all for thoughtful dissent and constructive discussion.  I love it when people on the Internet provide that.   :)

For me, the issue of whether or not the current zoom mode is good is irrelevant because:

a) Zoom mode is accidentally entered way too often.

B) The non-zoom mode is broken... it appears that certain small characters (9 and + do it for me) trigger the "Paste" button to pop up.

Those two things make Penultimate almost unusable (for me).

I am confident that they will fix this, however; it's too broken not to.

I totally agree with TDeep! 

Due to the issue with the "Paste" button popping up all the time, the app is useless, and I have downgraded (just google "downgrade app" to see how). Until two days ago I loved Penultimate. Used it every day for notetaking, etc. 

I am waiting eagerly for a bug free release!

I am baffled at what is happening with this writing app. I want to love it because of its wonderful syncing abilities with Evernote. However I'm unsure of why doesn't this application work as you would expect it to be and build on it. Beyond use of the BT Jot Pro version stylus , I find using penultimate very horrific for standard Jot Pro and regular capacitive stylus. This is why,

1) Page lines sizes are huge, even the downloaded ones are huge, I have to use Notes + to have a college rule esq page where I can have more information not a giant note pad. I take notes for lectures and I try and try again to use penultimate and its just a terrible experience for long note taking because of the page like and margin sizes. Notes + has a great college rule page and can go full screen why not here?

2) zoom to write: again I'm a premium user so I want to use penultimate as my only writing app but I cannot stand the zoom to write feature. Notes + by far excellent intervention of this feature options and menu bars and levels all where you can actually write for long pages and not be fiddling with the app. Penultimate has the page waking away from me and it's nearly impossible to of my wrist on it without the writing being at ties even after the wrist setting changed which had no improvement in wrist interference. Again notes + a bar that comes up and solved this issue or if zoomed properly the below the zoomed bar the wrist does not effect the writing at all, why can't this be had?

3) wrist guard : utterly useless, this app is designed to work with a BT stylus because clearly I cannot get use of this with no visual wrist guard and the app constantly causes interference with words because my wrist must touch the screen. I'm unsure beyond. BT stylus how this is functional unless you do not touch the screen with your wrist at all and write which is uncomfortable.

4) multi use: want to sign docs with penultimate , you cannot , want to copy and paste from the web you cannot. Want to use this as a great note taker to record audio clips you cannot. I want penultimate to be notebook replacement but better then notes + however it's just very hard to use this product as is.

I ordered the new BT stylus from Evernote but to be honest I'm kinda on the fence because it doesn't work with many other apps in BT mode and Penultimates margins and page one rules are gigantic with no option for a more college rule formate in full screen. ( I downloaded all the pages )

I'm unsure what to do with the app, it's like using something you want to so bad but I end up using Notes + simply because it's closer to a true note taking experience with more to do at your command in a fashion that makes sense. Although no Evernote syncing on the level that Penultimate has.

I seriously think penultimate is designed for a BT stylus and simply for a quick note pad reference not for a note book use with a reg capacitive stylus.

I have a retina iPad 4 btw

Penultimate 5.0 doesn't work on my ipad mini. I can write only if the zoom is enabled, and it's a feature I don't really need. And it's mad only being able to have no-zoom or max-zoom and nothing inbetween. This 'upgrade' has made it worse to the extent that I can't use it at all...so I'm off to find another app until it's put right.

The zoom and drift thing is awful!!! I am personally really annoyed about it. There must be a way to turn it off, surely?

Here are the problems:

1. Zooms in too much, and there's no control. This level of zoom might be ok for some (it's 300-400%) but we have to have control if it's going to be this much. Where's my overview of the page while I'm writing? Nowhere!!! How big do I have to write my letters? HUGE!
  2. Drift is ok for me, unless I make a mistake, in which case, how do I go back to an earlier point in the line? Wouldn't be such a problem if the zoom was around 150%!
  3. It tries to go into zoom mode when you don't want to. If I don't want to go into zoom mode, normal writing shouldn't try and put me there, but it does. there needs to be a dedicated button in the tool bar.

Please improve or roll back this update ASAP, it is destroying my productivity!

Edit, my point 2 is redundant - two finger scrolling (although with pen in hand this is a bit unnatural)

Agreed.

Penultimate used to work great for me as a pen and paper replacement because I could just sit down with it and start writing.  I had confidence that things would just work so I could get to work.

Now, with good reason, it is becoming unusable for some people because the zoom feature is accidentally triggered on a regular basis (and for some, the "Paste" button keeps appearing when writing certain characters, such as a 9 or a curvy +).

I've loved Penultimate since the early days.  I hope that this is resolved quickly.

how long have we waited for zooming?  and it isn't like we were asking for functionality that wasn't already being done BY EVERYONE ELSE.  I didn't need the wheel reinvented, I just needed it put onto my car.     

Terrible.   Zooming should be more than just not zoomed and SUPER BIG.   Dozens of other apps already do this correctly.  How could EV miss the boat?  Also wrist protection went from annoying to unusable.  Can't we just get a shield like every other note app?

They censored my comments off the blog post.

The zoom and drift thing is awful!!! I am personally really annoyed about it. There must be a way to turn it off, surely?

Here are the problems:

1. Zooms in too much, and there's no control. This level of zoom might be ok for some (it's 300-400%) but we have to have control if it's going to be this much. Where's my overview of the page while I'm writing? Nowhere!!! How big do I have to write my letters? HUGE!
  2. Drift is ok for me, unless I make a mistake, in which case, how do I go back to an earlier point in the line? Wouldn't be such a problem if the zoom was around 150%!
  3. It tries to go into zoom mode when you don't want to. If I don't want to go into zoom mode, normal writing shouldn't try and put me there, but it does. there needs to be a dedicated button in the tool bar.

Please improve or roll back this update ASAP, it is destroying my productivity!

Edit, my point 2 is redundant - two finger scrolling (although with pen in hand this is a bit unnatural)

I agree with the other Users here.

Wrist guard feature, works for a while, then I wonder if my Jot Pro stylus isn't touching the screen - no input, so I have to push harder for it to register. Quite weird.

In addition - finally, this update has the zoom feature. However, it only has one very close level. It's either zoomed fully in or not at all, so you can't set it to a level that's "just right".

The Drift feature sounds good, but in practice is very annoying. As you write, the page starts to scroll by, speeding up as you write. But try and dot an 'i' or cross a 't' and you'll find the page has Drifted by, making you try to sync the page speed, cross a 't' in mid air, or making your full stop a dash. On top of all that, you can't quickly tap Undo, Eraser or change the pen colour, because until the Drifting stops, those buttons are greyed out! Stop your input, then the Drift stops, then you can access the other buttons.

Don't like that? Use the Anchor button to lock out the Drift feature, but now you have to two-finger scroll the page along after every couple of words. What was a nice simple app, with perfect Evernote syncing (for me) that just needed zoom, has now been "upgraded" into a scrolling nightmare. They broke it, when it only needed a tweak.

So my choices are now to use other apps which don't sync with Evernote (they limit the API calling for other people) but write better with a better auto-scrolling feature and a variable zoom (Notes Plus, I'm talking about you), or, keep with Penultimate and it's, IMHO, great syncing, but coarse non zoom writing, or silly Drifting zoomed in writing.

They broke it. Just got the app so close to a great product, and went backwards.

Evernote - I love your product, but the Penultimate Team are obviously not 'your' people.

Apple knew what to do with Maps when it broke - they sacked the guy responsible. That's what I think needs happening here, it's that bad an "upgrade".

First off great update! I like all the changes very much and they work well for me. My question is when will you provide the functionality that changes orientation of the working space when you tilt the device. That really is a must have feature that everyone else seems to have that would make your product easier to use. Thanks again, great product, keep up the great work!

Trust me. You don't want it. Working terribly for me.

reading you and HerbyDE, I'm almost certain that I should thank Evernote team for letting me out :)

What a curious implementation the zoom feature from what you say :s

First: Thank you for the new possibilty to work with zoom!

First impressions

1. Hand wrist often blocking the start of writing with my stylus, after 2 or 3 attemps it works (in Penultimate options I changed different hand positions - no effect).

2. this kind of zoom realisation is innovative - but not so good like the standard zoom windows which has apps like UPad and so on, at least in my opinion. It is difficult to work accurate: if you make the zoom gesture you don't know exactly where on the page you are.

3. The "drifting" is very funny :-) But ... hm ... I'm distracted of the moving letters, I have to hunt letters like "t" or "ü" hurry up to complement, I don't know, where is the end of the line, I have to "press Return". Maybe this is good for finger painting, but look how accurate you can write with UPad and a standard stylus for 15 Dollars (fine lines, very small writing and so on and so on)

To be positive: Sync with Evernote seems to be better and smother. Penultimate is still a good app, but in the moment I would prefer other apps.

I use: iPad2, iOS7, in iOS options features disabled that could disturb - like iOS zoom with three fingers and so on -, Wacom Stylus and Jot Pro Stylus

Archived