Chantal Leonard

Evernote for iOS 8.2.1 Released

Idea

Hi all,

This morning we released version 8.2.1 of iOS to the App Store. You can download it here. This version includes -

Improved 8.2.1:

• A change which will make app resume faster for some users.

Fixed for 8.2.1:

• Fixed an issue where some table columns appear compressed. 
  • Fixed an intermittent issue where some notes are blank on initial load.  

A note on the issue where some notes were showing incorrect spacing in our last release (8.2) - if you edited any of those notes, the incorrect formatting/layout might have been saved to the database, and you will have to recover with note history.

Thanks, 

Chantal and the rest of the iOS team!

• Like 2

59 replies to this idea

1 hour ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Fixed for 8.2.1:

• Fixed an issue where some table columns appear compressed. 

I still have a problem with table column width.  These templates are supposed to be full width and look fine on my Mac

IMG_1647.PNG.e2dd70cf9fb63488e0ce885da1ae80d9.PNG    IMG_1646.PNG.26d07d9a2766f4ef970b2e5e3eec0771.PNG  Template.enex

Yup, tables still broke.  The first table is fixed width with column %'s.  The post IOS is obviously larger, has more padding, has minimum width columns, and perhaps other unwanted adjustments not visible to the naked eye.  Looks pretty much like 8.2 all things considered.  Using the same template I sent you guys to validate the issue.

ScreenClip1.png.1284e480d3d4fdff197e9ecae8b9c33f.png

ScreenClip.thumb.png.6338b9d84f08e68c9c16de52a2de431e.png

EDIT:  added the template

Table Template - 500px.enex

Edited by csihilling
Added template

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I still have a problem with table column width.  These templates are supposed to be full width and look fine on my Mac

IMG_1647.PNG.e2dd70cf9fb63488e0ce885da1ae80d9.PNG    IMG_1646.PNG.26d07d9a2766f4ef970b2e5e3eec0771.PNG  Template.enex

Thanks for providing the ENEX. I'm looking at it....

• Like 2

iOS ver 8.2.1 seems performance improved.  My issue (complaint/suggestion) has to do with the note text size (and colour) selection.  
  • I think the default text size should be medium (why small?)
  • I edit (add text or past a link) to existing notes often and if I want to use other than the default text size I seem to have to reset the size and colour each time I do that.
  • Ideally, each note should retained its own text size and colour based on the last entered line of text, even better would be to also allow a default selection setting on each device (for me, small is better on the iPhone, medium on the iPad)

Updated my phone no problem, iPad keeps downloading, then gives an error with a choice of "done" or "retry". Will try again later.

I set a password for Evernote app.

But when I start Evernote app, it shows notes once and then blocked.

I think if someone set a password, the password window should come first.

I want you guys to fix this problem.

I sent report several times, but it is not solved yet.

I unchecked to show notes on a widget.

But on the widget, there is a message that I can see the notes which I recently read.

I think if I unchecked to show notes on a widget, it should be removed this message too.

And I hope there an option to switch the simple view and more view.

I only want to see buttons, not notes or that message.

58ec6668d3fe2_-1.thumb.png.bddd31db3feb3b8a5dc5efef920fa610.pngOn support menu, send the support request, there is gray border which covers the screen.

I think it should be removed.

IMG_4180.thumb.PNG.361368d43e0b29ba1ecae643755d4c87.PNG

On iPad, the system line and Evernote design mixed.

It doesn't look good.

8 hours ago, prjna said:

Some notes cannot display the preview of their picture.

Also here. It's time to say good bye evernote? 

8 hours ago, prjna said:

Some notes cannot display the preview of their picture.

5 minutes ago, enki said:

Also here.

Can you post a copy of sample notes? Seems to work ok on my iPad, although I don't usually display images in the list

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you post a copy of the notes?  By preview, I'm guessing you're using snippet view and wish to see a thumbnail image

No, i'm sorry....sometime i see the preview and sometime no. Evernote is for sunday notes not for hard/professional use. It is become a *****. Hope they will fail soon for al the project i losed for EN pice of *****.

Does this version fix the problem with the iOS client overwriting the content of notes with the content from other notes? If not, is there a timeframe for implementing this fix? 

8.2.1 did not fix the table reformatting issues when notes containing tables are opened on iOS devices.

1 hour ago, Boeshans said:

8.2.1 did not fix the table reformatting issues when notes containing tables are opened on iOS devices.

Thanks for mentioning this, we have heard this from a few others. Can you provide an example ENEX file?

1 hour ago, Boeshans said:

I agree, same here. It seams that nothing change. 

I went to a note on my iPad which contained a screen capture, just a .PNG in the note.  

1. The image was not visible and the apparent random text below had been added to the front of the note.  
  2. I went to my PC and the note still had the image with the random text above the image.  
  3. Note history shows 1) when I created the note, 2) the version just created when I came back to the PC to view the note, and the now current version (I deleted the random text from the note).
    • Image1.png.0f373db965a16a983beffd8956207414.png
  4. I went to my iPhone and the note is now blank.  There is a very. very brief glimpse of the image, but then blank.
  5. Back to the PC and the note is still okay.

Don't know if this is related to the table format issues, but it's one thing to change the format of a note, something entirely different to ADD content to a note.  EN, need anything reply here or PM me.  Thanks.

IMG_0321.thumb.PNG.6a55e8dc9e75dc6c730dbc5af4e81ce0.PNG

I open a ticket five days ago. Nobody answer me. This is EN support. Maybe next month, after a new release they will tell me to reinstall EN app on my devices. 

Csihilling - change the app, trust me... EN is on their dead line. 

19 hours ago, enki said:

I agree, same here. It seams that nothing change. 

Can you provide an ENEX file here or in a support ticket to demonstrate the problem? I have an idea of what the underlying cause is here, and I will look into it for you.

No, I can't. My notes are sensitive data. I've opened a ticket last month, but it will answer me maybe next month after the next update :) They will tell me to reinstall EN on all my devices. I will tell them that I just do it last week (20Gb to download becouse I need all my notes for offline use)  

I start to hate EN after 7 years of premium, but also I start the migrate to ios notes. 

3 minutes ago, enki said:

No, I can't. My notes are sensitive data. I've opened a ticket last month, but it will answer me maybe next month after the next update :) They will tell me to reinstall EN on all my devices. I will tell them that I just do it last week (20Gb to download becouse I need all my notes for offline use)  

I start to hate EN after 7 years of premium, but also I start the migrate to ios notes. 

I see, thank you for letting me know. I am the engineering manager for the team that builds the note editor, and the table rendering is something I can directly investigate for you. I can personally fix the bug or work with my team to fix the bug when we uncover the root cause. I do have an idea of what may be causing it, and I am working to get a fix out to you as soon as possible. Any ENEX files you could provide would of course be helpful, but no need to send sensitive data. If you could reproduce the issue with a sample note, that would also be helpful.

I can also share some additional details on this issue that may be helpful. Some, but not all, of the "compressed tables" issues from the last release, 8.2, were fixed by this 8.2.1 release. However, there is more than one underlying cause of the "compressed tables" issue. The varying underlying causes of this problem are resulting in the same symptom -- namely "compressed tables" -- so it is difficult to distinguish them from one another. The issue that was fixed as a change in the stylesheet for the note editor that was intended to help make the tables horizontally scrollable in 8.2. That change was not necessary to make the tables horizontally scrollable, and was reverted for 8.2.1. Additionally, I believe the remaining problem is an issue where tables marked as '100%' width in the ENML document are being converted to '100px' width due to a bug introduced in the note editor. We do already have a fix for this remaining issue internally, and can be more confident in the fix with more real-world ENEX files. I am not certain when the fix will ship in the iOS app, but I can assure you we are working to get it fixed.

If, after the fix is shipped, you still experience "compressed tables", it may be due to the fact that the '100px' width on your tables was saved back to the database. In that case, you can use the note history feature to recover an earlier version of your note (when the table was marked as '100%' width), and it should be back to normal.

Please reach out directly to me if you need further clarification. We will get it fixed.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

That change was not necessary to make the tables horizontally scrollable, and was reverted for 8.2.1. Additionally, I believe the remaining problem is an issue where tables marked as '100%' width in the ENML document are being converted to '100px' width due to a bug introduced in the note editor.

Tables were horizontally scroll-able before version 8.  I know because I specifically edited my tables so they were fixed width and thereby fixed width in columns via percentages.  I also removed some of the extra spacing in default EN tables.  It made for a better, more consistent viewing experience.  

Version 8 modifies the code removing the settings I put in the notes, per some of the comments above.  Sorry, but this is a bit frustrating, especially coupled with the new bug I stumbled on this morning with a note containing only a PNG, also above.  

1. Do you need anything beyond the ENEX I included in the table post above?  
  2. Also, is it fruitless to edit the ENML in notes if IOS is going to change it just by viewing the note?  One would hope for a similar viewing experience across platforms.  Just saying....

Thanks.

1 hour ago, enki said:

I open a ticket five days ago. Nobody answer me. This is EN support. Maybe next month, after a new release they will tell me to reinstall EN app on my devices. 

Csihilling - change the app, trust me... EN is on their dead line. 

I don't know that they are on their dead line, whatever that might be.  I do think they will get this fixed and I hope they examine their processes and quality control while taking a broader view of the user experience cross platform.  Version 8 is far from their finest hour, change is hard, but I don't think it has to be this hard.  :(

3 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Version 8 is far from their finest hour, change is hard, but I don't think it has to be this hard.  :(

You are right, but meantime I paid good money, not fake money, so I pretend that the app works smoothly and support answer me quickly. I'm waiting since January to fix the bugs, but now they introduce new bugs. 

• Like 2