Evernote for Windows 5.8.1.6061 SYNC bug

frankysea

I have been encountering this problem for a long long time, the sync keep failing. I have contacted support team, (I am a premium user), but no replies. The app is completely not usable now. I have tried uninstalled and re-install, but it's another nightmare, it took a week to sync 80% of the notes.... So can someone fix the issue? 

Log as below:

--------------------------- 

10:59:47 [9376] 67% Submitting a batch of 3 note calls, size=3.2MB

11:00:10 [11080] Finding related content for note 3443

11:00:10 [11080] * Retrieved 11 cached related content items for note 3443

11:00:12 [11080] Finding related content for note 9414

11:00:12 [11080] * Retrieved 12 cached related content items for note 9414

11:00:12 [11080] Finding related content for note 3930

11:00:12 [1456] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/note/s10

11:00:13 [11080] * Retrieved from server 0 related content items for note 3930

11:00:15 [11080] Finding related content for note 6807

11:00:16 [11080] * Retrieved from server 0 related content items for note 6807

11:00:16 [11080] Finding related content for note 9414

11:00:16 [11080] * Retrieved 12 cached related content items for note 9414

11:00:17 [11080] Finding related content for note 3930

11:00:17 [11080] * Retrieved 0 cached related content items for note 3930

11:00:17 [11080] Finding related content for note 6807

11:00:17 [11080] * Retrieved 0 cached related content items for note 6807

11:00:18 [11080] Finding related content for note 9414

11:00:18 [11080] * Retrieved 12 cached related content items for note 9414

11:00:25 [9376] 67% No more data to read.

11:00:25 [7040] Client synchronization finished, status: failed

11:00:25 [7040] * elapsed time: 39s

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry you're having a bad experience with support - when did you submit your request?  You should have received a ticket number - if you can quote it here one of the Evernote Admins may be able to check what's happening.  Meantime if you can confirm your OS it will be helpful - Win7?  8?

frankysea, I have the same issue.  I have been unable to sync on Windows since November.  It is explained in the discussion: "

Very poor customer service"

You will see from that discussion that Evernote Customer Service claim that fixing this known bug is their Window's Engineers top priority, but they do not have a timescale on it at the moment.  If any Evernote Employees read these message boards, I would encourage them to be more open and publiscise that they are having this problem.

I also have the same problem and the same responses from the terrible customer service, even as a premium customer! It's absurd that such a popular application can be reduced to a useless state like this for so many. After reading all of the forum threads and then listening to the support team repeat everything I had already read I ended up solving the issue on my own. Even though I sent them logs and provided all of the information they should need to fix this bug they have done nothing.

For me the bug seems to deal with syncing larger notes with slower connections. The sync process is not very robust and if there is any issue with the connection or if it isn't a super high speed connection it will time out and fail. It never says timeout, it looks exactly like the log posted by the OP. I realized that I had added some large notes when this first occured so I logged onto the web interface and deleted a bunch of notes. I was finally able to achieve a successful sync however if I add any large note with photos or documents from my Android device then my Windows client will fail again. I am only able to use small texts notes if I want to be able to sync at this time.

Now is the time for an alternative produce to come scoop up all of the Evernote users that can't even sync their notes!

Hi Gazumped

I have reported this problem THREE TIMES ! Ticket # 833100 dated 2014/11/23, Ticket # 880259 dated 2014/12/20, and Ticket # 898763 dated 2015/01/08.

Management of Evernote needs to understand that this is NOT a trivial problem! Refer to the following forum discussions:

To put it very bluntly indeed: Someone in Support needs their asses kicked but good! I believe that Evernote is a good product, but for those of us that are using it in operational and revenue producing environments THIS IS AN INTOLERABLE AND UNACCEPTABLE SITUATION!

In good faith, I have built a system based on Evernote that is handling visa applications - if my system doesn't work the way I designed it, people get deported and declared as Undesirable Aliens. That causes a lot of unnecessary pain, expense and hardship. So can you please focus on this issue.

Please get with the program and sort this problem out - you need to understand that this is a problem that can kill Evernote.

• Level 5*

Hi @FerociousFeline - sorry to advise that I am a mere mortal and this is a user forum,  where we all try to help each other.  I must confess that I'm confused that Support seem to have said to someone,  at some stage,  that 'this is a known bug' - I've gone through all the versions of Evernote known to man on most of the versions of Windows since Vista,  and while there have been some "interesting" periods where syncs came and went,  I've never been without a working app for very long.  Sync fail is usually fixed by reinstalling Evernote,  rebuilding the database from the server (sometimes more than once),  or transplanting the database folder from a working version to a broken one.  There's also often use of Revo Uninstaller to kill previous versions of Evernote that may be causing problems.

If anyone (including any Evernote Employees out there) can define more clearly what exactly this "known bug" refers to,  I'd be interested to know.  Meanwhile I'd suggest that anyone who's willing to go through the whole uninstall/ resinstall/ rebuild process do so again - and we'll be happy to supply any additional help we can...

• Level 5*

It is VERY obvious to me that, based on the many, many reports of sync issues in these forums over several months that there is a serious bug and/or design flaw with the Evernote sync process.  This may not affect all users, like you Gaz, but it is clearly affecting many others.

To see many of the reports of sync issues/bugs, just click on the Forum Tag "sync" at the top of this page.

I have reported this problem THREE TIMES ! Ticket # 833100 dated 2014/11/23, Ticket # 880259 dated 2014/12/20, and Ticket # 898763 dated 2015/01/08.

Management of Evernote needs to understand that this is NOT a trivial problem! Refer to the following forum discussions:

To put it very bluntly indeed: Someone in Support needs their asses kicked but good! I believe that Evernote is a good product, but for those of us that are using it in operational and revenue producing environments THIS IS AN INTOLERABLE AND UNACCEPTABLE SITUATION!

Please get with the program and sort this problem out - you need to understand that this is a problem that can kill Evernote.

Dear Gazumped - I have to admit that I'm a mere mortal too (although just at this point I have to observe that the more I interact with the human race, the more I appreciate my cats!). Your advice is well noted, and come the morrow, I will attempt to rebuild the database on my laptop.

No personal animosity whatsoever intended - but I do feel that although Evernote is (conceptually) a brilliant product, it is sadly being pulled down by the inability of EN Support to sort out the Windows Client database problem.

I have built an application based on Evernote to address what has become something of a humanitarian problem, and that gives me quite enough challenges without the added pressure of Evernote misbehaving itself.

So I do hope that EN management is up to applying the necessary corrective measures to ensure that Support does what it is supposed to do.

It is now 02:04 local - so hopefully I can no go to bed and hope that when I wake up the world will be a better place. 

Dear Evernote Team,

I have tried & exhausted all the solutions mentioend to rectify the sync Issue in Windows 8. Alas! I'm not able to get my notes on Laptop. Undoubtedly it is a good & useful software & this is the sole reason i'm using this app for my work. However, Now i'm dependent on this & my work is really facing troubles because of the issue in syncing. Please please i beg you to respond & tell me by when can i expect an action on this. Please give me solution to remove this issue. Please take some action immediately. 

• Level 5*

Dear Evernote Team,

I have tried & exhausted all the solutions mentioend to rectify the sync Issue in Windows 8. Alas! I'm not able to get my notes on Laptop. Undoubtedly it is a good & useful software & this is the sole reason i'm using this app for my work. However, Now i'm dependent on this & my work is really facing troubles because of the issue in syncing. Please please i beg you to respond & tell me by when can i expect an action on this. Please give me solution to remove this issue. Please take some action immediately. 

Please see response #6 - support can be contacted via https://evernote.com/contact/support/ - they don't respond to individual issues here.  If you'd like some further suggestions,  please detail what you've done so far,  and we can see if we can come up with some more thoughts...

Dear Gazumped,

I am amazed that you continue to deny the problem.  You act like a senior Evernote employ with a hidden agenda.  The email to me from evernote support is here: "Xxxxxx X. (Evernote Support)

Jan 08 14:08

Karl,

Thanks for the log data. The engineers will find that very helpful. I'll make sure that they receive the files. I'll keep you posted on future developments. I don't have any exact dates for a fix, but it is still a top priority for the Windows team at the moment. There are many other users with the same errors in their logs. I appreciate your patience and cooperation on this issue.

Regards,
Xxxxxx X."

Ferocious Feline, I have uninstalled and rebuilt the database more than 12 times over two laptops.  It is a complete waste of time.  I would suggest waiting until Evernote formally issue an acknowledgement of this severe problem and issue a solution.  I have wasted days on this issue, and the response from Evernote customer support does not appear to indicate an understanding of the issue or imminent resolution.

Gazumped, rather than continuing to espouse the assumption that Evernote and their support are brilliant, denying the possibility of a technical fault, and that failings are due to users, do you have any real connection to the management team at Evernote that could actually generate a real solution to this issue which is clearly disrupting the productive work of many people?

• Level 5*

I'm not an Evernote employee,  nor do I have any connection with the company other than being an intensive user of the software.  Neither do I claim that Evernote or the Support team are brilliant - there are lots of flaws in both - more lately than ever.  However my statements in #6 are entirely accurate - I have never gone very long without a working database,  largely because computers are a lot like clocks.  Once you have all the gears in the right order the hands don't have any choice but to go around.  I keep fiddling until I hear ticking.

And far from believing the support team are brilliant,  I used to run a support team of my own in a previous life,  and I know that "it's a bug - we're working to fix it" can be a get out of jail free card for a support tech who's tried all the usual fixes and basically given up.  So I'd repeat...

"...If anyone (including any Evernote Employees out there) can define more clearly what exactly this "known bug" refers to,  I'd be interested to know..."

If you're content to wait for the next update,  then that's fine - I'm sure there will be one along soon,  and you never know: it might fix the problem.  Meantime if an update is what trashed your system in the first place,  maybe stepping back to a previous version will help with the syncing.  Entirely up to you.

Dear Gazumped, thanks for your response, it is appreciated.  As someone very vested in using what to date has been a great product, its failings are very frustrating, particularly when paying for a service which is then not forthcoming.

You say stepping back to a previous version.  How do I get hold of previous versions of the software?  The web site only offers the most recent version.  Since I have now upgraded my laptop, can you recommend a version that definitely works on Windows 8.1, as it is clear that the latest does not.

I am not sure that I understand your analogy regarding databases and clocks.  Perhaps since I am unaware of what tinkering I can make to adjust the database other than completely removing it and re-installing it, which having done so many times I am loathe to try again.

Your help is appreciated.  I particularly agree with your point that so long as Evernote fail to clearly explain what the problem is, it seems that it is simply poor (or poorly managed) customer service, palming off the situation, and one wonders whether the issue is actually getting looked at.

• Level 5*

Finding previous versions of Evernote isn't hard,  but getting one that definitely works with 8.1 might be more difficult.  Anyone here with a working 8.1 installation able to confirm their EN version?  

I'm on the latest 5.8.1 (6061) using both Windows 8.0 and 8.1 (two laptops) and they both work and sync fine.  (Sorry).

Previous versions of EN also worked for me - see this link for a list...  http://filehippo.com/download_evernote/history

One of the factors that is not improving my sanity is the fact that this Sync problem is now spread across at least five different discussion forums. Be that as it may - I started my journey on this forum:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/79917-persistent-sync-error/#entry338273

It may be of some interest to some of you that I have managed to copy the database across from my Desktop system (which does seem to be syncing OK) to an elderly laptop (actually an Asus Netbook) which was not syncing properly - but which is now syncing as it should. The way that I achieved this is outlined in post #15 of the persistent sync error discussion forum. Please read the small print below (and No! I am not a banker!)

(For what it's worth - worked for me - your mileage may differ!)

PS - I am not at all sure that previous versions of EN will solve the problem - I have experienced varying degrees of sync problems with the two versions of EN preceding the current version 5.8.1

• Level 5*

Yup - I'm having the same problem.  It's difficult to advise people because 1) I'm giving (hopefully) the same advice,  though at different stages in different threads,  and 2) there are multiple people in each thread,  all with their own problems,  possibly requiring different fixes!  Maybe we should get a checklist together and ask everyone to make sure they follow it through to the bitter end. 

By the way I just recommended someone to EN 5.6.4.4632 which came up in another thread as a working version...

There is no working version for the sync issue people are facing with their Windows clients. Suggesting that anyone with an activity log that says doesn't get to 100% of the sync cycle and says "No more data to read, Sync failed" is a waste of their time. I wasted massive amounts of my time at work trying to resolve this issue and all it did was cost my employer money. He's a simple test, create a new Evernote account, and copy a few notes over 1 by one on a new install. If you only use small notes, your sync will succeed. Whatever Evernote did to the sync system is very flawed and will not sync any large amount of data on anything but the fastest broadband connection.

• Level 5*

So what would you call a large note?  I sorted my All Notes view by size,  and got a 98.7MB note.  (I think that was a test...) but all my recent notes seem to be 2.5MB and very much less.  My syncs haven't faltered though.

YzRacer - That's a very interesting observation which I feel is rather consistent with my view that perhaps there isn't enough resilience (for want of a better word) on the part of Evernote to consistently cope with large notes and/or dodgy network connections.

I just checked my operational system and can see no notes that are more than 100Kb (they are all text-based with only an imbedded signature image). So I don't feel vulnerable on that score - but on the other hand, my network connection is very flaky so I wonder whether extremely short network outages aren't a part of the synchronisation problem and causing database corruption.

Maybe I'm old fashioned and feel a slight sense of discomfort in entrusting files to the cloud (in fact, strike the "maybe" and substitute "I do feel a certain discomfort with data in the cloud"), but on the other hand, Dropbox is an important part of my system too, and we have never ever had any problems with that cloud.

Same problem here, Evernote won't sync on Windows desktop. Version 5.8.1.6061. Tried the usual rebuilding the database and all that nothing. I'm a premium user and for a week now no reply from Evernote support, it was a similar problem I had with reaching Max number of notebooks and it would not sync. Come on Evernote. This is unacceptable.

Surprise to know so many same issues here, obviously this is a serious bug that many users are experiencing. At least Evernote team should let us know what's happening, as the activity log is always "no more data to read", which is confusing. 

The support team finally replied my ticket, "I will forward your case to technical team ... ".

Yes, @YzRacer I found that this problem occurred at some large note containing lots of images too, may be this can help the lovely technical team to address the issue?

BTW, Mac version Evernote seems no problem at all.  

hi,

i've been seeing this all morning in EvernoteWeb (using Windows7).

It circles/pulsates clockwise and continuously.

any ideas? just me or...

thanks

post-244559-0-48688700-1421006593.png

NOTE: seems to have stopped. Possible it was an upgrade re-syncing all the notes?...

Dear Gazumped,

I agree, I think your Checklist suggestion would be super.  We could then identify whether the problem is solvable or else hone in on what the issue is.  What are your thoughts on the checklist?  I might start as follows:

- Check Internet Explorer SSL and TLS settings.

- Remove all system files and install EN 5.6.4.4632, re-sync

Am I missing anything?

Dear Gazumped,

I agree, I think your Checklist suggestion would be super.  We could then identify whether the problem is solvable or else hone in on what the issue is.  What are your thoughts on the checklist?  I might start as follows:

- Check Internet Explorer SSL and TLS settings.

- Remove all system files and install EN 5.6.4.4632, re-sync

Am I missing anything?

I found this list.  I worked through it including the SSL and TSL setting and still will not syn.

When you add and edit notes on one device, Evernote syncs changes to our servers and then to your other devices. If your notes aren't syncing properly, follow the steps below.

• Verify you're connected to the Internet - Open your device's web browser and visit any website to ensure that you're connected to the internet.
  • Login to Evernote Web - If you know that a device has already been synced and you still don't see your updated notes on another device, try to see if you can view them from Evernote Web. This will let you know whether your changes have already saved to the Evernote servers.
  • Try restarting your computer or device - Simply restarting a device may fix a sync error.
  • Upgrade to the latest version of Evernote - Sync errors are often fixed with product updates.

Download the latest version of Evernote from your app store or the Evernote website.

• Search for error messages - If Evernote is displaying an error message when trying to sync, try searching the Evernote Knowledge Base for the error message and see if there are any suggestions for resolving the problem.
  • Check Evernote's status blog - Each week, the Evernote servers are updated with new versions of the various software components that power the service. During this time, the service can be slow or even intermittently unavailable. Check status.evernote.com to ensure that there isn't a server-side problem causing your sync issue.
  • Evernote for Windows: Offline Mode - If you're using a Windows computer, verify that Work Offline isn't checked under Internet Explorer's File menu. Internet Explorer is the way Evernote for Windows syncs.

• Evernote for Windows: POODLE - If you’re running Windows XP reference, see the article on how to resolve sync issues on Evernote for Windows running on older versions of Windows’ OS.

• Empty your Trash notebook - Sometimes a note in your Trash notebook will cause sync problems. In this case, emptying Trash may resolve the sync issues. Emptying your Trash notebook will permanently delete all its contents.

• Uninstall/Reinstall Evernote - Before uninstalling Evernote, ensure that all your notes are synced and visible in Evernote Web. You may also wish to backup or save a copy of your notes. See the article on how to uninstall and reinstall on your device

Sunday, June 1, 2014
I found this.  The only comment related said that when they tried the searching EN crashed.  When I tried it I could never find these characters.  In fact I added these to a note and still using the search could not find the characters.  So not sure how to apply this suggestion   Is your note content stopping Evernote from syncing?

If you have your Evernote apps are not syncing and your have tried forcing sync then it is possible that actual note content is stopping the syncing process.

A user at the evernote discussion forums, "elephantintheroom", made a post outlining a bug where a sequence of characters in his note would prevent Evernote from updating. A list of characters identified by the user are below:
  • >>>
  • <<<
If you have any of these characters, try remove them and give syncing another try. Are you still having issues? Have you found another solution? leave a reply below and I'll see how I can help. 

Posted by SoftwareWorks at 4:11 PM 

I don't think I would suggest a hard number for note size, but I would say that the size allowed is directly proportional to the speed and reliablity of your network connection. It also may not be related to indvidual note size, but to the size of the chunks EN tries to retrieve during sync. If any part of the chuck fails, it seems the sync will fail.

I found this document:

https://dev.evernote.com/media/pdf/edam-sync.pdf

Which seems outdated as there were supposedly a lot of changes in 2014.

Of my three Business Accounts all running on Windows 8.1, I have one that won't sync.

Very annoying. 

Will be deleting and re-installing tomorrow.

If that doesn't work then I will be on to Evernote.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

In this case Chris I'm glad you're suffering from the Win 8 'bug' (and hopefully the flu's gone...) - I know a lot of people will be interested in whatever feedback you can share from Evernote Support..  after you get it fixed,  of course...

:)

Hi Gaz,

Hoping I can still use revo uninstaller. Don't think I have used it on this particular computer before, which was new just before Christmas.

Regards

Chrfis

Successfully uninstalled with Revo Uninstaller,

Re-installed Evernote latest version and it synced perfectly with the online version.

About 15,000 Notes and all done in a couple of hours.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks Chris, inspired by your post, I have downloaded Revo Uninstaller on my old laptop and completely removed Evernote.  Likewise, completely uninstalled on my new laptop.  Also, ensured that the Trash Notebook was empty online.

Downloaded the most recent version of Evernote onto my new laptop and reinstalled.  And it does not sync.

13:40:36 [2668] 10% Submitting a batch of 7 note calls, size=3.9MB
13:40:36 [2064] Finding related content for note 495
13:40:37 [1736] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/note/s35
13:40:39 [2064] * Retrieved from server 12 related content items for note 495
13:40:59 [2668] 10% No more data to read.
13:40:59 [4256] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
13:40:59 [4256] * 226 items received
13:40:59 [4256] * elapsed time: 4m 42s

So, another hour wasted on the Evernote Sync problem.  No further forward, and further frustrated.
Surely this must conclude that it is something to do with note content?

Am I missing something?  Only 2,500 notes though...

Hi K Drage,

I wonder if you have deleted everything with Revo? There are a number of options as you plough through the delete process. I recommend you delete 'everything'. Probably easier for me as the computer is only a couple of months old.

My thoughts:

Do you have another Windows computer running at the same time with your Evernote working? If so switch it off.

Have you got all of your Notes on the web version?

Did you re-boot the computer after you uninstalled with Revo?

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I thought I had deleted everything with Revo.  The new computer is 3 weeks old, and has never sync'd properly on Evernote.

I do have another computer running windows. I will turn it off when I get home and go through the process again.

Yes, all of my notes are on the web version.

I did reboot after uninstall.

I will try again later and report.

Regards, Karl.

Hi Karl,

If the other computer is running Evernote, then that could be the problem. I believe, not being software technically minded there will some conflicts.

Did you download Evernote from their website?

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

I'm told by Evernote that a new Windows prerelease version should be out in the next few days and it includes some bug fixes which may help with these problems..  you should hear about the release here,  but just to ensure you get it as soon as possible,  go to Evernote > Tools > Options > General and make sure the box next to "update to pre-release version when available" is ticked.

Successfully uninstalled with Revo Uninstaller,

Re-installed Evernote latest version and it synced perfectly with the online version.

About 15,000 Notes and all done in a couple of hours.

Best regards

Chris

I only have 200 notes, 

Used Revo to un install.  Robooted, installed again and still not syncing.

Trying to isolate the issue I had someone who has never used Evernote install and try to use it.  Again, in a Windows and Android Environment.

We used the tablet for a few minutes.  Sync worked as we logged into the web to see the changes. We then closed the web version, turned off the tablet and then opened EN on the Desktop.  It tried to sync when opening and the sync failed.

Note, per the other topic I posed, we had already change the TSL SSL options in our brower etc.

I believe we just might have to give up the Windows Desktop version until the new release and now one solution offered seems to work across the board.

• Level 5*

The new Evernote version is now out and at least two people have confirmed normal service has been resumed.  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80258-evernote-for-windows-582-beta/?view=getnewpost

I don't see from your link where the new release has fixed the this issue.

IAC, 2 users out of a 100M+ is irrelevant. 

Evernote continues to ignore that there is a very serious sync issue.

The new Evernote version is now out and at least two people have confirmed normal service has been resumed.  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80258-evernote-for-windows-582-beta/?view=getnewpost

I don't see from your link where the new release has fixed the this issue.

IAC, 2 users out of a 100M+ is relevant. 

Evernote continues to ignore that there is a very serious sync issue.

I have tried the new version and the sync problem remains.  Anyway we can help the development team for this issue? It seems the problem happens on large notes containing lots of images. if they want i can provide the note detail to see if any special contents, such as some characters and whatever, are causing the problem.

Fairly certain it has anything to do with the size of a Note.

Interestingly when in my study at home this morning, my laptop would not sync.

Came to the office and it is working fine!

Regards

Chris

me too.  I used Revo and uninstalled.  Installed the new version and sync failed again.  I had already gone through the check list I provided in an earlier post.  I only have 200 notes of which the largest was around 200kb.  So a very small database.  So I can not see size of database or size of notes making any difference.

Gaz,

thanks for the link to the new release.

I have now revo uninstalled.  Turned off all other windows devices.  Emptied Trash.  Re-installed the latest pre-release from your link.

Sync still does not work:

09:48:43 [3136] 10% No more data to read.
09:48:43 [3396] 10% Done waiting for 11 sync tasks
09:48:43 [3396] 10% Waiting for 2 sync tasks
09:48:43 [3396] 10% Done waiting for 2 sync tasks
09:48:43 [1952] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
09:48:43 [1952] * 226 items received
09:48:43 [1952] * elapsed time: 4m 25s

V. Frustrated!

For those that might be interested - have posted some comments in the 5.8.2 discussion forum at:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80258-evernote-for-windows-582-beta/#entry338897

@C6REW #44 - Chris - That lends some credibility to my feeling that this problem also has something to do with the communications link - maybe your office connection is better quality than your home study connection?

I fixed mine.

1.  I used Revo Uninstaller.  To be Clear, I used the Unistall not the Forced Uninstall.

2. I updated Windows.  I doubt this had any impact as I have 2 machines and both use a different version of Windows and only one was updated.

3. I turned off the Internet connection.

4. Via Revo installer, I reinstalled the latest beta version offered above (I had already downloaded it)

5. When it asked for the connection to the Internet I then turned the connection on.

6. It then syncronised correctly.

I then tried a different sequence on my other laptop.  I used the Forced unistaller and left the internet connection on.  It did not Sync.  So I gave up and followed the above and it worked, the other laptop syncronised.

FerciousFeline,

There may be something in that.

I discovered today that someone has hacked into our already slow internet connection both here and in the office.

We would normally use about 4 or 5 GB of data a week. I received an email saying we had got near our monthly limit and watched the home usage go from a staggering 14 GB ending in just over 28 GB 3 hours after I phoned home and told them to turn it off! I have this afternoon sorted it by only allowing our Mac addresses for our products to connect and have no problem with syncing. 

It would appear that we had the same hacking in the office, so I am guessing that is why one computer would not work in the week.

Regards

Chris

FerciousFeline,

There may be something in that.

I discovered today that someone has hacked into our already slow internet connection both here and in the office.

We would normally use about 4 or 5 GB of data a week. I received an email saying we had got near our monthly limit and watched the home usage go from a staggering 14 GB ending in just over 28 GB 3 hours after I phoned home and told them to turn it off! I have this afternoon sorted it by only allowing our Mac addresses for our products to connect and have no problem with syncing. 

It would appear that we had the same hacking in the office, so I am guessing that is why one computer would not work in the week.

Regards

Chris

C6REW, glad to see you got it resolved! My instance of sync failure was somewhat similiar as my office connection was being shared with a lot of people. Another issue I saw when Evernote doesn't sync is that it just keeps trying and trying. It keeps using your data connection and even though it dowloads data it appears to discard it if the sync isn't complete. This led my office IT admin to come to me asking what I was doing with so much data. It turned out to be Evernote!

@ Others that have been pointed to a new version by the support team, you've been duped. It won't fix the problem. It's just an easy way to close a support ticket. I stopped dealing with them after 5.8 solved none of my issues.

To the people that are syncing successfully, could you please go to speedtest.net and post your results here?

To the people that have failed to sync, could you do the same? I asssue you the average of Evernote synced connection speeds will be much higher than Evernote failed to sync connections.

My result:

Unable to sync: 256kb Download, 100kb Upload

Finally synced: 1Mb Download, 256kb Upload (Took multiple attemps but finally synced)

No sync problem ever at home: 60MB download, 12MB upload.

It just shows that Evernote is not using a robust syncing system. Other large level sync providers like Microsoft and Google don't have this issue because their syncing systems are more robust. With my MS Exchange account, I can get on a dial up 56k connection and while it might take days to sync email, it will eventually succeed. This is not the case with Evernote. It will repeatedly download the same data over and over, without making any progress. Instead of keeping the data from the failed sync and trying to complete the next chunk of data it starts over, therefore losing any progress that was made and using more of your resources to achieve absolutely nothing.

It's all in the activity log for those that can't sync. I bet you're getting the same messages at every sync attempt. You can also open Resource Monitor in Windows 7 and go to the network tab. Monitor that tab while Evernote is syncing.

Thanks LloydGarry, I am glad that you have fixed yours.  I have followed your method to the letter and it has not worked.  It still does not sync.

13:53:44 [3460] 10% * retrieving batched resource {CCFCABB1-77E3-4621-9B49-F26E4883226C}
13:53:44 [3460] 10% No more data to read.
13:53:44 [2112] 10% Done waiting for 11 sync tasks
13:53:45 [2112] 10% Waiting for 2 sync tasks
13:53:45 [2112] 10% Done waiting for 2 sync tasks
13:53:45 [5856] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
13:53:45 [5856] * 226 items received
13:53:45 [5856] * elapsed time: 4m 3s

Regarding Broadband Speed:
5.50 Mbps Download
9.82 Mbps Upload

Suggesting that this matter is not related to Internet Speed.

This has all taken another hour of my time.

Thanks LloydGarry, I am glad that you have fixed yours.  I have followed your method to the letter and it has not worked.  It still does not sync.

13:53:44 [3460] 10% * retrieving batched resource {CCFCABB1-77E3-4621-9B49-F26E4883226C}
13:53:44 [3460] 10% No more data to read.
13:53:44 [2112] 10% Done waiting for 11 sync tasks
13:53:45 [2112] 10% Waiting for 2 sync tasks
13:53:45 [2112] 10% Done waiting for 2 sync tasks
13:53:45 [5856] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
13:53:45 [5856] * 226 items received
13:53:45 [5856] * elapsed time: 4m 3s

Regarding Broadband Speed:
5.50 Mbps Download
9.82 Mbps Upload

Suggesting that this matter is not related to Internet Speed.

This has all taken another hour of my time.

Bummer.

Well I have a second laptop at work and it did not sync.  I also know I have a better internet connection at home than at work.  So I will bring it home tomorrow and test it out.  If it syncs .....a strong guess would be the Syncing capabilities has been changed in one of the upgrades or like and it now requires a bigger band width to sync.

• Level 5*

Beating a dead horse but sync issues also with don't laugh... Windows Vista

Seeing how I also run an old laptop that chugs along on Vista,  I wouldn't dream of laughing.  I'm finding the fuel for the boiler a bit expensive though so I might have to retire it from daily use soon...

Anyhoo - it's still running Evernote (when I need to look stuff up...) so it is possible.. (not sure what version though).  What's the history with your system?  What have you tried?  Ironically Win 8.x seems to have problems with Evernote - or vice-versa - but the older versions,  not so much.  Try emptying any Trash notebooks you can find,  for starters...

My Windows 8.1 computer running Evernote Business has stopped syncing this morning in the office. I updated to the latest version yesterday evening - 5.8.1.6061

But I discovered that if I 'exit' the software will sync properly!

Very odd indeed.

Will see how it does during the day.

Regards

Chris

I too have been suffering the inability to sync problem on my Windows laptop for over 3 weeks. I have attempted all the fixes suggested by the Evernote website including re-installation but to no avail. 

In that past the Customer support has been good, so imagine my disappointment when I received this reply:

Thank you for your patience. I appreciate you taking the time to work with me as we work through this. This is a bug that the engineering team is currently working on resolving. I’m not sure when the issue will be resolved.

I’m going to close your ticket. If you would like, I can notify you when your issue has been fixed and scheduled for release.

I encourage you to continue updating Evernote as new versions are released. Please keep checking the product forum (https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/126-evernote/) for the latest betas and releases.

Regards,
Korben D.

My Premium subscription  is due to renew in April and you can guess what I will be doing as well as advising others not to touch this product with the proverbial barge-pole.

• Level 5*

I too have been suffering the inability to sync problem on my Windows laptop for over 3 weeks. I have attempted all the fixes suggested by the Evernote website including re-installation but to no avail. 

In that past the Customer support has been good, so imagine my disappointment when I received this reply:

Thank you for your patience. I appreciate you taking the time to work with me as we work through this. This is a bug that the engineering team is currently working on resolving. I’m not sure when the issue will be resolved.

I’m going to close your ticket. If you would like, I can notify you when your issue has been fixed and scheduled for release.

I encourage you to continue updating Evernote as new versions are released. Please keep checking the product forum (https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/126-evernote/) for the latest betas and releases.

Regards,

Korben D.

My Premium subscription  is due to renew in April and you can guess what I will be doing as well as advising others not to touch this product with the proverbial barge-pole.

If you are one of the "unsyncable" users,  you have my sympathy - but what exactly (apart from fixing the problem now) would you have Evernote do?  By all accounts this affects only a percentage of Windows users,  I don't know if they even understand exactly what's causing it yet,  but they are working on it and -if you ask- will let you know when it's fixed.  Meantime you can still use the Web,  Mobile and email services.  If you want to take a break from subscriptions for a while that's entirely up to you.

• Level 5*

By all accounts this affects only a percentage of Windows users,  I don't know if they even understand exactly what's causing it yet,  but they are working on it . . .

Sync in Evernote is like SAVE in non-cloud-based apps.  Can you imagine the reaction of the public and tech blogs if Microsoft said "Sorry, but failure to save in Word or Excel is happening only to 10-20% of our users, but we are working on it" months after the bug was reported by many users ???

Making sync always work for everyone with an Internet connection must be Evernote's highest priority.

This is an issue that they have brought on themselves recently.  Go back a couple of years or so, and rarely do you see users reporting sync issues when they have a good Internet connection.

The very ironic thing about all of this is that it is happening AFTER Evernote CEO Phil Libin promised in Jan 2014 to focus on quality and user experience.

Gaz,

" but what exactly (apart from fixing the problem now) would you have Evernote do?"

Evernote should do the following:

1. Make a public announcement acknowledging that they have a serious problem with their Windows product and that at present it cannot be relied upon, and should not be used for trusted work.  This should come from senior management.

2. Write to all of their Windows Platform users and inform them that they have the problem, what the problem is associated with, what they are doing about it, and when they expect to have resolved the problem.

3. Write to all of their Windows Platform Premium Users and refund Premium Payments - or at least give Premium for free until the issue is resolved, extending the service for the duration of the problem, which is only fair.  (Which incidentally I have had since November and despite all the chatter, proposed fixes, new versions, and checklist, across multiple internet locations, (and a new laptop), and hours of my own time wasted, is still unresolved.)

4. Provide regular (weekly) updates to their user base regarding progress with the issue.

Let me ask you this:  What would you expect your TV Channel Provider, ISP, Car Manufacturer, or local Emergency Ward to do if they were unable to provide the normal service that clients had subscribed to and paid for?

If Evernote care about their customers and want to be seen to offer a customer focused service, currently they have a way to go.

Hello, I have this same problem but only on one laptop. 

On both I have Evernote app 5.8.1.6061 (274061) Public version.

On both there is Windows 8.1, 64 bit.

One laptop has Norton Internet Security - Evernote is not synchronizing.

The other one has F-Secure Internet Security - Evernote is working fine. 

Is this possible, that this issue is related with antivirus software?
  • Level 5*

That's easy enough to test -- just turn off / disable the antivirus software and see if the EN sync issue persists.  You might want to reboot or restart EN after you disable the A/V SW.

That's easy enough to test -- just turn off / disable the antivirus software and see if the EN sync issue persists.  You might want to reboot or restart EN after you disable the A/V SW.

I've disabled the security settings, and the problem persist. But from my experience, modern Internet Security Applications are very complex so in result any connectivity issues are hard to diagnose.

• Level 5*

I've disabled the security settings, and the problem persist. But from my experience, modern Internet Security Applications are very complex so in result any connectivity issues are hard to diagnose.

I agree.  IMO, Norton A/V is extremely intrusive, and very difficult to completely get out of your system if you want to uninstall it.

I won't use or recommend Norton.

Bizarrely, the two other computers stopped syncing on our Business account today.

Seems they sort of synced! Moving some of the data I had put on my account into theirs. Then they stopped then they started.

Really not sure what is going on and hope they are both synced tomorrow.

One didn't even ask to sync when I exited the programme, which is very odd indeed!

All three are new computers running Windows 8.1 and all, now run the latest version of Evernote for Windows.

Getting data between all three accounts is of paramount importance in the way I have set our business and our Business Evernote account up. 

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

@K Drage - I appreciate this is frustrating in the extreme,  but aren't you expecting rather a lot?  It's possible the majority of Windows clients are working fine,  and until the cause (or causes) or special issues can be identified,  telling folks 'don't use our product' just means those with the wrong security settings,  corrupt files in Trash notebooks,  bad connections,  and any one of a dozen other fixable issues will stop trying to find their own fix and wait for a new release cure-all which is never going to happen.  

I haven't read my T&C's recently,  but I'd bet Evernote don't make any promises or offer any warranties as to the amount of time their service will be available or to what extent.  There's no reason why any software house would start giving refunds for an undetermined loss of service,  especially not while they're still fixing things.

As to giving a date for when this will be fixed,  that's impossible until someone knows what has to be fixed,  and the only way Evernote will find that out is by working with folks who have the problem to identify potential causes.  Same comments apply to regular reports - of what?  "We're still working"?  Two Evernote staff have confirmed they're working on the issue with High priority.  I think they know it's important and urgent...

Yes, Evernote is working on the sync issue, but I have to wonder what priority it has.

Very high.

Gaz,

" but what exactly (apart from fixing the problem now) would you have Evernote do?"

Evernote should do the following:

1. Make a public announcement acknowledging that they have a serious problem with their Windows product and that at present it cannot be relied upon, and should not be used for trusted work.  This should come from senior management.

2. Write to all of their Windows Platform users and inform them that they have the problem, what the problem is associated with, what they are doing about it, and when they expect to have resolved the problem.

3. Write to all of their Windows Platform Premium Users and refund Premium Payments - or at least give Premium for free until the issue is resolved, extending the service for the duration of the problem, which is only fair.  (Which incidentally I have had since November and despite all the chatter, proposed fixes, new versions, and checklist, across multiple internet locations, (and a new laptop), and hours of my own time wasted, is still unresolved.)

4. Provide regular (weekly) updates to their user base regarding progress with the issue.

Let me ask you this:  What would you expect your TV Channel Provider, ISP, Car Manufacturer, or local Emergency Ward to do if they were unable to provide the normal service that clients had subscribed to and paid for?

If Evernote care about their customers and want to be seen to offer a customer focused service, currently they have a way to go.

This is spot on! I could not have said it better! This isn't expecting a lot, it's just expecting Evernote to do what's right. The fact that this has been going on for over 2 months (probably more for some users) is out of control. To pour fuel on the fire, many people have received completely different responses when contacting support with this issue. Even worse, tech support continues to suggest that users waste hours of their time completing a bunch of made up steps that don't resolve anything when they know there is an issue on the server side. The premium subscription is not cheap, and although there may not be any guarantee in the T&C that the system will work Evernote should show that they value their customer base and offer extensions or refunds to premium members. 

Anyone with the sync issue should go directly to social media and get the word out that Evernote has been less than helpful in resolving a MAJOR issue with their sync system. I think I'll share some of these threads with tech news sites and maybe it will get some attention then.

The two other computers have still not synced.

Called in to the office and yet again deleted Evernote using Revo Uninstall. Am now downloading all data. 

We shall see what happens!

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Hey Chris - is it possible to copy the database folder from one working computer and USB-stick it over to the others?  A jump-start like this got my unhappy 8.1 machine to behave...  (reaches rapidly for wooden surface to touch....!)

Hi Chris - I would second Gaz's suggestion! But you need to be a bit careful and turn off automatic sync and sync on exit (otherwise you can truly create a Real Bad Day for yourself). The purists will likely roll their eyeballs - but I have used the technique on a number of occasions (only windows system to windows system) - see my post #15 at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/79917-persistent-sync-error/?p=337930

Works for me! Good Luck!

I think you might be right Gaz.

I will have to download the other accounts databases onto my computer. Trouble is they are quite a few GB, but hey ho.

Driving me nuts at the moment. I have been working on the one accounts computer and had it downloading the database last night. Got to the office and it seemed OK, but was still trying to sync.

During the day I have created about 100 more Notes and none of them are going into that account, nor are any of the Notes created on there coming out! All fine on that accounts Web.

Will take the laptop home again and see if I can move it over by database, but it worries me that it may not be syncing up from the account.

Tried rolling back to a previous version that didn't work either.

Uninstalled with Revo three times yesterday.

When will Evernote get this problem resolved?

Regards

Chris

Just to make matters even more confusing!

I have three laptops in the office all running Windows 8.1

Two out of the three don't sync Evernote properly, but work on the internet no problem. My laptop syncs Evernote and works on the internet no problem.

As mentioned above, I have been working on one of the user accounts on one laptop.

In the office I cannot get it to sync properly.

Brought it home and it syncs fine!

Very strange indeed.

Regards

Chris

Well you may think so,

But as explained one out of three computers works fine. All three computers access and work on the internet fine.

As of earlier this week all three have been working and syncing Evernote since I bought the new computers and installed Evernote on them. One is a few months old the other is about 6 - 8 months old.

All the computers before these have been working fine, apart from the odd glitch with Evernote.

So give me a clue, how do two computers out of three suddenly stop syncing Evernote whilst to all intense and purposes they do everything else correctly!

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

No two computers are exactly alike unless they were just installed from a master system.

Obviously something is different.  Just sayin' that if the same PC works/syncs at home but not work, then that's where I would start looking for the issue.

Brought it home and it syncs fine!

That's a big clue -- the issue must have something to do with your office network, ISP, and/or network settings on the PC.

Great idea! I just changed my private IP address and it works! So it works at home now.

Now I'm wondering if I just unlocked my app? Will it work at my office too? I will check tomorrow.

Anyway, it is somehow related with network address translation I think. 

Still seems odd that one account works and the other two don't!

OK, it works from my Office network as well.

For me, the problem is related with the server side rather than the client side. Why?
The App knows only the IP address of the server and utilizes specific TCP ports for communication. That’s all.

The network infrastructure is not a problem too I believe, because it is doing its network job only. If you have in your local network many computers with Evernote App then when NAT-ing occurs then the traffic from specific computer (from the specific Evernote App) to the Evernote server is differenced on transmission port number.
Maybe somewhere here there is an issue? I guess only, because I don’t know how the communication between Evernote clients and servers occurs. 

Hi bmi,

All a bit like hieroglyphics to me! 

But no matter as this morning everything seems to work, which again is very odd.

However, I have noticed our internet connection is so slow it won't even run a speed test! I managed one and it showed a download of 0.33 Mbps. Then the test which was failing got to about 0.19 after about 5 minutes it failed. Normally takes a few seconds!

Will get on to my service provider and see what they have to say.

Regards

Chris

Hi bmi,

All a bit like hieroglyphics to me! 

But no matter as this morning everything seems to work, which again is very odd.

However, I have noticed our internet connection is so slow it won't even run a speed test! I managed one and it showed a download of 0.33 Mbps. Then the test which was failing got to about 0.19 after about 5 minutes it failed. Normally takes a few seconds!

Will get on to my service provider and see what they have to say.

Regards

Chris

Once again this shows my theory that poor networks or network issues such as routing are having an impact on the users experiencing the sync issue. My sync problem returned yesterday after I changed several tags on my notes on a computer with a good connection. I noticed when I got to work that my work PC would not sync. Once internet usage at work decreased and my connection improved I was able to sync again. Lucky for me I had only changed tags, but if I had uploaded any large images I would have been stuck out for weeks again like I was in November. Since there is no fix in over 2 months I assume that Evernote engineers have decided it's not their problem and that all users should move to America and get Google Fiber in order to maintain their notes. 

Outlook, OneNote, Dropbox, Synology Cloud, Google Drive and many other syncing applications are able to handle poor network connectivity and large data sync without issues! Why can't Evernote adapt a more robust syncing system? When my Evernote sync fails my colleagues at work complain that I am using 2-4 times the data of others at work because Evernote will just keep trashing any progress and starting over with each sync attempt. It's completely unacceptable and it's gone on for far too long. My premium subscription expires in April and hopefully by then Synology has a DS Note application for Windows. 

Hi,

At home I've returned to my default network settings and everything is still working fine.

So the problem with synchronization could be some kind of "lock" on the server for a specific account AND it is related somehow with Network Address Translation in situation when translation is many to one (many private addresses to one public address). I think, that an additional condition for the "lock" bug is a presence of more than one computer with Evernote app running in the network.

In my situation the "lock" happened in my home network (30Mbps Ethernet) and in my office network (>100Mbps Ethernet) as well. In my home network there are three laptops with Evernote app while in my office a tens of laptops with Evernote app may running. When I've "unlocked" my Evernote app by changing the IP address in my home network then in the office I was "unlocked" too.

Summarizing: I think that for everyone with a similar situation there are two solutions. I don't know if you are familiar with networking, so I assumed that one solution will be "difficult" to some users, while the second one should be much easier:

1. The "difficult" one:  Close the Evernote app and then change your IP address. For example if the DHCP server always gives to your computer address: 192.168.1.12 then try to use any other FREE address in this network, for example: 192.168.1.15. Then test your connection. If you can browse the Internet, then run the Evernote app. It should synchronize fine, and you should be "unlocked".

2. The "easy" way: try to use Internet in any new place - it should be a new place for your laptop, not for you ;) But remember that an open, public WiFi hotspot is not the best solution because:

- using an open, public WiFi is not a secure and recommended way of connecting to the network (unless you exactly know what you do)

- potentially, you have a lot of new notes to synchronize, so the fast and reliable connection should be your choice.

I hope it will help you.

Regards,

bmi

PS I'm sorry for my bad English - I'm still learning :)

• Level 5*

@Chris:  Do you use any other Cloud services, like DropBox, Google Drive, etc?

If so, are these working OK?

I've used DropBox for many, many years now, and I've never had any sync issues.

YES. YES. YES.  Laptop has now sync'd for the first time since November.  Thanks @bmi.

It has not been syncing on my home or work networks, or three networks I encountered travelling over Christmas.

However, following your post, I configured the laptop to run off a 4G hotspot from my phone.  This has worked.  Let's see how long it lasts and how resilient it is.

Again, many thanks @bmi.

Hi bmi,

Some useful information, best I Evernote it! Many thanks.

@Chris:  Do you use any other Cloud services, like DropBox, Google Drive, etc?

If so, are these working OK?

I've used DropBox for many, many years now, and I've never had any sync issues.

I use DropBox, but have little use for it in work. However, interestingly enough I tried to download a relatively small video file from my account during the week and it failed!

Regards

Chris

Archived