Adding a row to a table on iPad

deanouellette

Idea

35 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, percheron said:

This thread was originally posted in 2012. Seems to be a theme with Evernote that basic functionality is just left behind. Given the dirth of improvements to Evernote over the years, I often wonder whether it reflects Evernote's development incompetence or the company's struggle to stay alive.

There are ways to make a request that reflect a higher level of politeness.

I see this request has a voting level of ....2  this doesn't reflect a high level of user interest.

For those supporting this request, please up vote it, using the controls at the upper left corner of this discussion.

There are numerous post about this and people like me did not even notice this voting button. The voting level doesn't remove the fact that it's a very basic functionality missing, yet it should be mandatory. Should take maybe a day of work to add it. Yet it's still missing after all those years, pretty crazy IMO. 

In the Android forum found discussion this proposed workaround: To copy a row from a template containing table rows with varying number of columns (see link below) and paste the copied row below the table in your note.

Here's a template example you can use: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s239/sh/7bb4945c-34dd-492d-a7b8-2ee4deed8314/90ddec1421a0abe01429dbcb4db78fc5

Inspired by this, I selected the last row in a table (using my iPhone), copied it, then pasted it. 
My attempts resulted in varying degrees of success. Try it!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Ottomation said:

I needed to insert a Table in a note, using my iPad, and found this was not possible using the iOS version of Evernote. The online advice suggested first creating a note with Evernote's online version, making and saving a Table to this note, and then later using this note as a Template. This is also not possible, as the iOS web browser (Safari) is not supported either. Very frustrating that this has been here for nearly 5 years with no change.

The Mac/Windows platforms are much better at table processing than the iOS platforms.

I did find I could log in using Safari on my ipad.
When you get the "not supported" message, switch to the desktop site by holding down the refresh button (curved arrow at the end of the url space)
Its not a great experience, but does allow you to create a table.

IMG_1263.jpg

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
29 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

I just press on TAB on my iPad Pro at the last cell of the last row and a new row is being inserted - I'm wondering how to do this on my iPhone...

It's the same, Tab key

Of course you have to be using a keyboard with a Tab key.
I'm using an Logitech K811 bluetooth keyboard

This thread was originally posted in 2012. Seems to be a theme with Evernote that basic functionality is just left behind. Given the dirth of improvements to Evernote over the years, I often wonder whether it reflects Evernote's development incompetence or the company's struggle to stay alive.

• Like 1
On 27.2.2016 at 3:18 PM, CreativeLogics said:

There are numerous post about this and people like me did not even notice this voting button. The voting level doesn't remove the fact that it's a very basic functionality missing, yet it should be mandatory. Should take maybe a day of work to add it. Yet it's still missing after all those years, pretty crazy IMO. 

I second that and I have just voted, hope that others do as well!

I needed to insert a Table in a note, using my iPad, and found this was not possible using the iOS version of Evernote. The online advice suggested first creating a note with Evernote's online version, making and saving a Table to this note, and then later using this note as a Template. This is also not possible, as the iOS web browser (Safari) is not supported either. Very frustrating that this has been here for nearly 5 years with no change.

So, I read this thread and was quite disappointed to discover that the issue was this old and had not been addressed. So, I thought, I’ll just use the web version on my iPad. Not an ideal option, but a decent work around. Well.... the Evernote site is not supported on iPad Chrome app. 

So, I’m stuck either building templates with tables that have lots of empty rows, or just never using my iPad for this sort of thing.

its been a whiles since the most recent post on this thread, any word of a possible update including this functionality or a decent work around?

1. Need to know how to create a table in notes

2. How to add a row or column in existing templates with tables

3. Change the cell colour of the table. For example, blue instead of the default green for EN header in tables. 

Could the support team or a kind soul out there help me on this? 
It’s killing me because I would like to use EN for this as well

• Level 5

Yes, because it is still working. Why should it change ?

Hint: To enter a new table in the iPad client, you need to activate it in settings, notes, advanced or extended editing (don’t know exactly what they call it in the English version). It is the last position of the options. You can create a table with the [, ] and x9 Code laid out there.

If you have created a table, and now want to enter a new row, your cursor should be in the last field of the existing table. Now simply type „tab“ on your keyboard, and a new row will appear.

OK, you do not have a „tab“ key on your keyboard ? I have it on my Logitech keyboard / case for my iPad Pro. If you don’t, you can download a third party soft keyboard from the App Store. There are several that come with a „tab“ key, among other keys. Install it, and you have solved your own problem.

Just took you 5 years, and a post here in the forum ....

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes, because it is still working. Why should it change ?

Hint: To enter a new table in the iPad client, you need to activate it in settings, notes, advanced or extended editing (don’t know exactly what they call it in the English version). It is the last position of the options. You can create a table with the [, ] and x9 Code laid out there.

If you have created a table, and now want to enter a new row, your cursor should be in the last field of the existing table. Now simply type „tab“ on your keyboard, and a new row will appear.

OK, you do not have a „tab“ key on your keyboard ? I have it on my Logitech keyboard / case for my iPad Pro. If you don’t, you can download a third party soft keyboard from the App Store. There are several that come with a „tab“ key, among other keys. Install it, and you have solved your own problem.

Just took you 5 years, and a post here in the forum ....

Install a 3rd party keyboard to 'solve' the problem? I'd call that a workaround, not a solution. I can also walk to my Mac, open the note, add the rows with a real tab key and return to my iPad. Also a workaround, not a solution. 

• Level 5

Playing a blame-game ?

It is not the fault of EN that the native iOS soft keyboard does not have a tab key - as it does not have an esc-key either. So if you want to do special tasks like coding on the ipad, you need a specialized keyboard. Or if you want to work with tables in EN ...

Call it what you like - it is clearly possible to add a row to a table in the iOS client.

Just trying to point out that it is reasonable for people to expect to be able to add a row in iOS. If not with the TAB key (because there isn't any), then EN should provide an iOS alternative, perhaps similar to what they have on the Mac with the "bullet" that turns into a "plus". I think it is in the interest of EN to have (near) parity between platforms.

In the end this is just an opinion.

I agree with so much of this thread.  The ability to edit tables, including background, size, and number of rows/columns would be HUGE.  I know not everyone uses tables in the same way, but they are in all of my templates and a big part of my automation in my workflow.  That said, while I can use my iPad for just about everything else, the inability to edit on the fly has been one of the largest reasons why I am still tied to my laptop w EN. 

On 4/21/2020 at 8:04 AM, PinkElephant said:

Playing a blame-game ?

It is not the fault of EN that the native iOS soft keyboard does not have a tab key - as it does not have an esc-key either. So if you want to do special tasks like coding on the ipad, you need a specialized keyboard. Or if you want to work with tables in EN ...

Call it what you like - it is clearly possible to add a row to a table in the iOS client.

I find that the higher "level" a user is, the less helpful their responses tend to be...instead of offering a workaround and acknowledging that it is exactly that, and inferring that perhaps EN should implement a native solution within a decade, does nothing to motivate EN to move things along.  I know they are "rebuilding" the entire platform to basically run their web app on the wide variety of devices (which is the only reason many people have stuck with EN instead of moving to Keep It, etc), but in the meantime perhaps they could take an hour to add a capability to add a row to a table on mobile without carrying a keyboard with you.  Your logic that it's not Evernote's fault that the iOS keyboard doesn't have a tab or escape key is so far afield that it doesn't warrant a response, but I'll respond anyway.  If I built a car than ran on the blood of baby seals, would I blame Exxon for not supplying it at their stations? Maybe Evernote should actually build solutions to work within the environments they pretend to support.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, sagemont said:

Maybe Evernote should actually build solutions to work within the environments they pretend to support.

We all agree table functionality is a useful function, and is needed for Evernote/IOS

To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button at the upper left corner of the discussion   
This request currently has 46 votes

• Level 5*
On 5/4/2020 at 5:58 AM, Dosborn126 said:

I agree with so much of this thread.  The ability to edit tables, including background, size, and number of rows/columns would be HUGE.  I know not everyone uses tables in the same way, but they are in all of my templates and a big part of my automation in my workflow.  That said, while I can use my iPad for just about everything else, the inability to edit on the fly has been one of the largest reasons why I am still tied to my laptop w EN. 

Workaround.  You can copy/paste rows from one table to another, or to itself.  Needs to be pasted at the end of the table as it will overlay any row(s) from that point down.  Not particularly elegant but if in a pinch.  FWIW.

• Like 1
On 5/6/2020 at 1:57 AM, PinkElephant said:

Enter a table, if it is not already there. See above how-to ...

Go to the last cell, press tab (yes, external keyboard or a 3rd-party soft keyboard) => A new row is added.

Nice, it works on me, using external Logitech keyboard :))