Notes and thumbnail image

I don't see that it is possible to choose the image that will be displayed as a thumbnail in each note. It simply shows the first image that was uploaded to each note. But, after an update the thumbnails changed randomly. This is quite annoying for me since I use those thumbnails a lot for easy identification. It would be very useful if you could manually select each miniature.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Em 15/09/2024 at 21:52, El Caballero Errante disse:

I don't see that it is possible to choose the image that will be displayed as a thumbnail in each note. It simply shows the first image that was uploaded to each note. But, after an update the thumbnails changed randomly. This is quite annoying for me since I use those thumbnails a lot for easy identification. It would be very useful if you could manually select each miniature.

I'm also looking forward to this feature. Federico promised it in a Twitter post in April ( https://x.com/ChipWhitehouse/status/1780062953980711421 )

By the way, The image that Evernote chooses as the thumbnail is not random as it may seem. There is a logic to it. Vladimir explains it in this video (in Portuguese): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmYCPDrf9LM&ab_channel=Eleficiente

• Level 5*

This is something I imagine is buried in the editor coding.  The original Evernote team maybe didn't want to spend the time coding an image option into the editor so they decided on an arbitrary rule "the smallest vertical dimension*" - again presumably because this is likely the smallest image and the easiest to compress into a thumbnail.

*I've also seen this quoted as "the smallest large dimension" (?)

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, tired and disappointed said:

At least it should be possible to disable thumbnails. Wrong/irrelevant thumbnails are extremely distracting.

Agreed.  I'm still holding out hope that they will give us the option to select which image we want or disable an image altogether.  Webclips in particular, mostly result in meaningless thumbnail images.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Wietse van Leenen said:

Is there any solution to this matter ? It worked before but now it does not even if the first image is uploaded meant to be the thumbnail image. Now it just does something. 

No offense but even is this has ben raised “a thousand times” it is still a question to be and can be raised. Clearly it is high wished restore as in the past there was no issue. So thanks for confirming but as this forum is there for asking and addressing issues I still ask this. 

• Level 5

You pay for what you have.

Updates are the frivolous extra that make paying more interesting. If it’s the update you have been waiting for is what you know when you open it 🎉 

• Level 5

This thread is about thumbnail selection.

It was never possible to select a thumbnail. There were workarounds, which worked for a while, but all of this was unofficial and not supported.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Wietse van Leenen said:

It worked before the update

We have never been able to select which image shows.  There was a cumbersome workaround that I doubt many bothered to use.  Earlier this year we were told that the feature is being worked on which is the first time ever for this app.  The fact that it has been delayed tells me that a few other things took priority.  I expect this will still be released, but I wouldn't hold my breath on getting a date provided.  Typically enhancements show up when they are ready.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

BTW I think the oldest feature request for a thumbnail selection is from 2011. 

The guys holding their breath for it since are easily spotted for their blue-ish faces 😨

😂

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Wietse van Leenen said:

Again ! It was never an issue without workaround. So I won’t answer anymore of your replies. Just fix it or refund me the money via Evernote and I stop using it. 

Unfortunately from what I've gathered no one that works for Evernote bothers to read the forums (as much as I wish they would), so no one that could fix it will read this message.

5 hours ago, s2sailor said:

...Earlier this year we were told that the feature is being worked on which is the first time ever for this app...

OMG, they are finally working on this feature? That is really good news to hear. :) 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, ConfusedCupcake said:

from what I've gathered no one that works for Evernote bothers to read the forums

Don't think that's true - the company reads what's here,  within days or weeks of it being posted;  but it's a public forum.  So not the place to discuss individual issues,  and like most commercial operations Evernote don't announce their future plans here,  because other priorities may intervene and all announcements do is spark pointless speculation - as has happened this time. 

Something that doesn't currently work 'should' soon be fixed.  All the 'are we there yet?' questions in the world won't make that happen faster.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, gazumped said:

Don't think that's true - the company reads what's here,  within days or weeks of it being posted;  but it's a public forum.  So not the place to discuss individual issues,  and like most commercial operations Evernote don't announce their future plans here,  because other priorities may intervene and all announcements do is spark pointless speculation - as has happened this time. 

Something that doesn't currently work 'should' soon be fixed.  All the 'are we there yet?' questions in the world won't make that happen faster.

ok, I just got the impression (and thought I even read in the past) that the staff didn't bother reading the forums any more, but I guess that's changed since then. I mostly assumed that was still true since they never read or respond to help tickets.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, thefryhole said:

According to an EN post on Twitter today, you can now remove a thumbnail from showing. Doesn't say anything about choosing another at this point.

It's a partial image,  so we don't yet know what else is listed there;  and the update isn't available via the website yet,  so I can't try it out to see what else is possible.  No doubt all will be revealed,  in time...

Screenshot2024-10-08100926.png.62516fa78ccc2de0d57e47caa7f39804.png

• Evernote Expert
14 hours ago, thefryhole said:

According to an EN post on Twitter today, you can now remove a thumbnail from showing. Doesn't say anything about choosing another at this point.

It's coming in v10.110.* So the next release. But just the ability to remove an existing thumbnail.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, agsteele said:

It's coming in v10.110.* So the next release. But just the ability to remove an existing thumbnail.

Yup.  Now available from Evernote.com as we speak - but all you get (at this stage?) is the ability to switch off an unwanted thumbnail,  or to reinstate the same image.  No chance to replace it.  Comments and objections to feedback@evernote.com !

A couple of observations about it playing around with it just now:

Remove thumbnail is also available from the '...' menu in the note editor on web and desktop(?):

image.png.c2c13902d2480cb8f2ffa71925afbc6c.png

Once you remove a thumbnail, it doesn't look like adding another image (or audio clip) will bring a new one / different one back. (At least for now.) (Edit: there is a "Reset default thumbnail" that appears where you can toggle the old one back on.)

I played around on web and desktop v10.110.3 and can confirm that we are only getting a switch on/off of the "standard thumbnail" EN chose for us. Still no option to choose from another picture within in the note. The switch-off is still ignored on mobile (thumbnail still visible) - tested on EN 10.109.1 for Android - maybe update coming...

4 horas atrás, Boot17 disse:

A couple of observations about it playing around with it just now:

Remove thumbnail is also available from the '...' menu in the note editor on web and desktop(?):

image.png.c2c13902d2480cb8f2ffa71925afbc6c.png

Once you remove a thumbnail, it doesn't look like adding another image (or audio clip) will bring a new one / different one back. (At least for now.)

I tested it here and after removing the thumbnail it shows the option to bring it back. Nothing more than that.

Screenshot_1.png

• Like 1
3 horas atrás, Alxa disse:

I played around on web and desktop v10.110.3 and can confirm that we are only getting a switch on/off of the "standard thumbnail" EN chose for us. Still no option to choose from another picture within in the note. The switch-off is still ignored on mobile (thumbnail still visible) - tested on EN 10.109.1 for Android - maybe update coming...

They've already said that all the new features will come out on the web and desktop versions first, and only after a while will they reach the mobile version. That's their strategy.

• Like 1