Ability to create app link to other notes has disappeared

Thanks for checking :)

I'm on 10.97.3 and I wonder if the change is to encourage people to use the @ command rather than the drop down menu. The note I was looking with the @ command is visible now. Wonder too if there is a delay in notes being available for the @ command.

11 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I'm on 10.97.3 and I wonder if the change is to encourage people to use the @ command rather than the drop down menu. The note I was looking with the @ command is visible now. Wonder too if there is a delay in notes being available for the @ command.

Just tested on Won 10.97.3 and a new note was available in another note via '@' instantly.

You can still right click a note and get an internal link, as far as I know just removed from the three-dot menu.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Jon/t said:

You can still right click a note and get an internal link, as far as I know just removed from the three-dot menu.

Interesting. The three dots menu now has:

image.png.d75490a18f241866c915427740ca676e.png

While right clicking the entry for the note in the note list has:

image.png.ef93c0af35fadbfc5b0c56fccb2ade73.png

So which is it: does alt+ctrl+L copy the app link or the web link? Answer - neither. Alt+ctrl+L now doesn't work at all.

The rationalisation of web links and app links is long overdue - EN should be able to open the target note in the current application without us worrying about whether we entered it as a web link or an app link.

The good news is that in my initial testing, using the Windows version, weblinks open the target note in the Windows desktop version. The situation for notes containing links  accessed from a filtered list of notes is still not good but possibly a little more reliable.  On the other hand app links accessed from a note in a filtered list no longer go to a random note or Home but actually crash the app.

• Thanks 2

Thanks to you all for checking this out. Right click on the note in the note list works on the Mac app as well so thanks for that tip.

I get the same contradiction on the Mac, though. The command actually provides an app link rather than a web link.

image.png.853b59b6453817264c8b8000a408684d.png

Screenshot2024-07-19at15_52_00.png.d8a19a7957f2fbdfd4e8c58f1456aeb8.png

• Like 1

Internal note links are still useful for targeting a Desktop note in Evernote from *outside* of Evernote -- i.e. from another app. Hopefully the evernote:///view/ URI won't be abandoned altogether anytime in the near future.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Internal note links are still useful for targeting a Desktop note in Evernote from *outside* of Evernote -- i.e. from another app. Hopefully the evernote:///view/ URI won't be abandoned altogether in the near future.

@vladcampos has tried to shed some light on this here 

Unfortunately I can't get it to work on Windows (Chrome + Windows desktop app). If I leave it on "ask every time" I can manually go from Evernote on the the web to my desktop app. If I change the setting to "Desktop app" it just stays on the web version and dosn't automatically go the desktop version.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Mike P said:

If I change the setting to "Desktop app" it just stays on the web version and dosn't automatically go the desktop version.

Do you get a pop up asking if you want to open the link in the app?

There's also a don't show again tick box, would you of checked that at some point? Maybe with Legacy?

5 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Do you get a pop up asking if you want to open the link in the app?

If I set it to "ask every time" I get the pop up that allows me to go to the desktop app.

image.png.ec2eeb387c984c8055eadb39d835134f.png

However if I tick  "Remember my choice" (or change it in the app) it then doesn't work - for future links it just goes to the website but doen't then open the app. I'm basing what I expect to see on @vladcampos's video for Mac.

Legacy was definitely set up to open links in the desktop app.

I'll try deleting all the cookies, data etc for the website and see if that helps. It would be nice to know if anybody else has it working on Windows and Chrome.

14 minutes ago, Mike P said:

If I set it to "ask every time" I get the pop up that allows me to go to the desktop app.

I saw another pop up, either browser or operating system asking if I wanted to open the link in the app and there was a remember tick box.

I can't find any way to restore that box after checking the remember icon.

Here's what it looks like for Canva. No idea where you un-associate the link.

Maybe your link is associated with legacy?

image.png.d5c6571184c9c6c33aa21cb10b151351.png

I've tried resetting everything in Chrome that I can think of and still no joy. I don't use this often since ditching Todoist in favour of EN tasks so I guess I can personally live with the "ask every time" setting.

On 7/21/2024 at 8:46 AM, Mike P said:

@vladcampos has tried to shed some light on this here 

Unfortunately I can't get it to work on Windows (Chrome + Windows desktop app). If I leave it on "ask every time" I can manually go from Evernote on the the web to my desktop app. If I change the setting to "Desktop app" it just stays on the web version and dosn't automatically go the desktop version.

This is exactly my use case. I use BOTH web and app links. Web links are SLOWER thus sub-optimal. Every case of opening web links adds 3-4s of delay.

Workflows based on Evernote web links are sup-optimal.

Another Evernote feature ruined...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Confusingly BOTH the key shortcuts to a web link (via 3 dots menu) and an app link (right click the note name in list view) are Alt+Ctrl+X 

I pasted links from both combinations into the same note and got the note title as a link,  backed by https:// and evernote:/// links respectively.

If I then copy those links to another note they both work the same way - I wind up in the original note.

If I then copy the links into a third-party app the app link works as before.  The web link gives me the web page with this pop-up - 

choice.png.3c1d1c486a09bb4bcdd0bb33f7c15892.png

(My settings say "ask me every time")

If I then choose 'remember' and 'open in app' I get back to Evernote again,  and my settings have magically changed to

settings.png.45de44bf6cbc0b0cd74806bb38adb71b.png

...And then I clicked the web link again and get

webpage.png.54df64e55479ff4bf4a733e5e080cf64.png

(I obviously ticked the box...)

And now...

Every time I click the web link my app jump to the correct note... BUT the web browser also serves up the same note on the web.  Guessing that's a peculiarity of my browser (Thorium - a Chrome clone).

So:  for the moment.  Clicking in the note Title in list view,  or while you're editing a note - Alt+Ctrl+X will get you an app link (the evernote:// version)

Web links require (AFAIK) the three dots menu or a physical click in the 'note link' drop-down when right-clicking a note title.

I'm fortunate that this does not ***** up my current workflows.

EDIT:  Oops.  My reference to a helically ridged fastening activated the nanny-bot...  sorry.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jon/t said:

ALT+CTRL+L should still load the clipboard with an app link.

Agreed. I couldn't get it to work before because I was suffering from the "grayed out note menu" bug which also stops the associated keyboard shortcuts working.

4 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Agreed. I couldn't get it to work before because I was suffering from the "grayed out note menu" bug which also stops the associated keyboard shortcuts working.

Hopefully a new shortcut for web link arriving soon as well... been a lot of chat about this small change.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Where did Alt+Ctrl+L come from?  I thought the key letter was X for an app link... ???

image.png.b75c5e6609f93800ddb964f381a245a5.png

image.png.a39c8b0ab0306285723420b2e11e43d9.png

Did you perhaps change the shortcut?

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Apparently I did!  I show this - 

Screenshot2024-07-23174739.png.8d97094e135bf1f4f82ef3d412e72de0.png

...but resetting defaults got me back to 'L'.   Will have to watch out for that in future!!  (and maybe user optioned shortcuts should be flagged somehow?)

• Like 3

All I want to know is, why does EN think it is a good idea just to hide a command from the context menu (copy app link) and then leave copy web link there. This implies the feature has been removed but it hasn't.

So instead of doing actual work, now I need to start googling to figure out where a feature I use a lot has gone. This app is meant to improve productivity, not reduce it by needlessly making changes like this. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2024 at 9:39 PM, Piotas said:

This is exactly my use case. I use BOTH web and app links. Web links are SLOWER thus sub-optimal. Every case of opening web links adds 3-4s of delay.

Workflows based on Evernote web links are sup-optimal.

Another Evernote feature ruined...

Yes, they have completely stuffed this. You can no longer access an internal link (in the Evernote app) from another external app (eg Notebook on Mac). It defaults to trying to open evernote on the web which is hopeless! I have written to them via their feedback email address and encourage others to do the same.

9 minutes ago, Takestock said:

You can no longer access an internal link (in the Evernote app) from another external app (eg Notebook on Mac).

Yes you can. CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+C and the Mac equivalent will copy an internal link directly to your clipboard to use in other apps.

You can also remap this shortcut as well Its in the list of shortcuts.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Yes you can. CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+C and the Mac equivalent will copy an internal link directly to your clipboard to use in other apps.

You can also remap this shortcut as well Its in the list of shortcuts.

Brilliant. Thanks so much. I wasn't aware of this.

• 4 weeks later...