Evernote the WORST EXPERIENCE

38 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The pdf itself is undamaged, this is simply a viewer issue.

No, the PDF can't be opened. I downloaded it and added a *PDF* extension but without success. 

I know the Title is garbage but obviously the PDF is as well..

26 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Only responding because you quoted me

This was not meant to be offending, therefore the 😉

2 minutes ago, Feitz said:

No, the PDF can't be opened. I downloaded it and added a *PDF* extension but without success. 

I know the Title is garbage but obviously the PDF is as well..

This was not meant to be offending, therefore the 😉

Try the webapp. They just rolled out RENT which did a database update and I noticed some weirdness at first.

16 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Well spotted. This is an ad and tracker blocker. Trying in a guest profile would be better as it would have no extensions or blockers activated. 

No, no ad blocker - here's a private window with tracker detection off.  Same behaviour in safari.

In the end, I modded the config to 'not' auto update and continued using the previous client.  Pants.  Thanks for your help though.

Screen Shot 2024-07-18 at 17.19.31.png

Well - whatever it was, version 10.97.3 has dropped today and the issue in 10.97.1 is gone. Phew.

They really need to be more careful with their releases... A bit like crowdstrike really. 😉

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

The missing icons after the edit bug still not fixed in Android. After few updates.

Also another complete joke - why after opening the note on Android I am taken to the BEGINNING of the whole Notes list. Each time.

This doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Doministry said:

taken to the BEGINNING of the whole Notes list. Each time.

This doesn't make any sense.

For me this is thé way to work. I add a line to a note (dossier) and type at the TOP of the note. Like an e-mail dialogue. 🙂  If changed, it should be an option. 

37 minutes ago, MvdH said:

For me this is thé way to work. I add a line to a note (dossier) and type at the TOP of the note. Like an e-mail dialogue. 🙂  If changed, it should be an option. 

Maybe I was not precise. 

I am at the list of all Notes. I scroll 300 notes down to open a note. I open the note, without edit. 

I come back to the list of notes. Instead of beeing in the same place I am back  AT THE TOP of the list of. This is idiotic. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Doministry said:

I scroll 300 notes down to open a note.

- Which leaves me with that note selected in the side list and the body of the note open in the note window.  I can continue scrolling from there without problems.

Same if I search for something first - I select a note in the side list and see it in the main window.  No jumping around.

21 minutes ago, gazumped said:

- Which leaves me with that note selected in the side list and the body of the note open in the note window.  I can continue scrolling from there without problems.

Same if I search for something first - I select a note in the side list and see it in the main window.  No jumping around.

Hey, Android app. There is just a list and than open note. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

So on Android app after editing any note when I come back to the list of notes, I always come back to THE TOP OF THE LIST. Which doesn't make sense. 

• Sad 1

I hate this app! The app on the latest iPad pro dries the battery in an hour!.. It is impossible to work! Every few months is a new problem that ruins the experience... Please tell me how to migrate to onenote throught  mac, for example... I've been a paid subscriber to this ***** for ten years, thousands of notes, but there's a limit to their incompetence!!!

• Sad 1
12 hours ago, Youcent said:

ingredients on this site

That is indeed just a spam bot, check the html link on the full stop (if you're game... I wouldn't!) and how they posted same to other threads.

Is there a way to report fake accounts?

Edited by Ralph77
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Ralph77 said:

the only option I get is Share (no Report).

I think you need a certain number of posts (300+) to get the option.  Some of us have other choices too...  I nuked that user (and then had to take the sneaky link out of my reply quote too!)  Feel free to DM me if you see something off about any posts...  ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Doministry said:

Especially forcing the upgrade even when I close the app!

This is kind of what I expect from modern software.

I don't want the olden times where I'm clicking next, tick a box, next, next, next, finish just to update something.

Most of my apps now update like this. My email software, all my browsers, VS Code, Canva... lots of other stuff.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Most apps (including Evernote) wait until you next open the app to update - or to advise that an update is available.  I use one third-party app (Glary Utilities) that checks all my installed apps and tells me when any of them have updates available.  (The current score is 4)

I'll download all my updates at least once per week to make sure my security is as up to date as possible,  and I have access to all current bug fixes and new features when I open my app.  I don't see updating as a bad thing!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Also Chromium is constantly getting updates and security fixes... which Evernote needs to stay current with. If you don't want updates go and install Windows 2000 lmao.

We don't need so many updates  a week.

And reading with understanding is halepful. I am not discssing the fact of having updates, but the cr..ppy and clunky system.

The button/info for updates - sure, but when I close the app I close the app. When I don't press "update" shut up and wait Evernote.

23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I don't see updating as a bad thing!

It's a great thing. And I decide when. I have about 100 apps on my phone and I decide when I update. Because I don't want any interference when I work in an app.

And even more when I close the app on Windows.

18 minutes ago, Doministry said:

We don't need so many updates  a week.

And reading with understanding is halepful. I am not discssing the fact of having updates, but the cr..ppy and clunky system.

The button/info for updates - sure, but when I close the app I close the app. When I don't press "update" shut up and wait Evernote.

We do, sounds like you are very unhappy with Evernote. Maybe find another solution instead of coming up with yet another new complaint for absolutely no real reason.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There is a grain of salt in the claim: I have developed a certain fear of what lies beyond that update notification.

The lack of QA, tendency to break things and to roll out unfinished new functions leave a stale taste in my mouth before hitting this button.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

The iOS app is pretty much back to it’s former self.

Only thing that happens is that a picture file is somehow badly attached, and the synchronization will stall. Enforcing a sync doesn’t work. Usually a day later it suddenly syncs, and everything is fine again. Has happened to me several times.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You notice when this happens: The note shows a green triangle top right corner, that won’t go away, indicating that it still needs to sync. And on other devices instead of the attachment being displayed, you see a spinning circle in its place.

To me this indicates the sync had actually started, but couldn’t be completed properly.

29 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

I agree; my four-year-old Samsung Galaxy A70 is like an athlete on steroids now!

I'm really surprised to hear that the Android app is evidently zippy now, as my experience over the last few months is the opposite. Very sluggish. Can often take around 10 secs to open a note. This is usually most evident on first opening the app. I have zero issues with sluggishness in any other apps. Might try a complete uninstall/reinstall.

1 hour ago, Ralph77 said:

I'm really surprised to hear that the Android app is evidently zippy now, as my experience over the last few months is the opposite. Very sluggish. Can often take around 10 secs to open a note. This is usually most evident on first opening the app. I have zero issues with sluggishness in any other apps. Might try a complete uninstall/reinstall.

Sometimes creating a new note still hangs for me.

16 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

We do, sounds like you are very unhappy with Evernote. Maybe find another solution instead of coming up with yet another new complaint for absolutely no real reason.

Sure. If I would have enough time to make all the tests and experiments. 

But you know, I pay for this. For years. And somebody came and suddenly ruined the whole experience. And developers have some responsibility on them. It's a company which lives off customers. So what are you afraid of? 

8 hours ago, Ralph77 said:

Interesting, Ralph. Obviously, I don't expect it to be as fast as my Desktop, but it certainly never takes anything like as much as 10 seconds to open a note. I have a fairly high number of notes (in excess of 29,000) and opening notes and searching I get a fairly quick response.  It has improved very significantly in recent weeks, so much so that I am able to do much more on my phone and only really use the Desktop for more intense operations or things that can not be achieved on the mobile.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

have a fairly high number of notes (in excess of 29,000) and opening notes and searching I get a fairly quick response.

In contrast I only have about 4000! I will report back once I've done the reinstall, hopefully tomorrow. I'll also try installing it on another device for comparison.

Till now I'd just assumed that version 10 was a slug, as it has always been much slower since the update from v8 a few months back. I left it till the last moment to update to v10. So this gives me at least a modicum of hope!

• Level 5*

I'd echo that until recently Evernote for Android was only useful for viewing notes over a good local wifi connection. 

I coudn't create new notes directly,  though sharing content to Evernote worked.  With the latest versions I now have (mostly) full access to all features (and 68k+ notes) on both phone and tablet.  Access to offline data still needs more work... but the apps are at least usable!

There will always be limitations on mobile access - your device has restricted power and storage and needs to be able to make and receive calls and messages forinstance so file transfer speeds won't break any records.

• Like 1

on IOS if you have a note with a lot of images , lets say 10 images , and you want to share them via whatsapp , you will notice it after the first 2 images .. the wrong image uploads to share .. and you cannot share any other image in that note .... so you need to download the images to you photos and then share it .. 

also speed on WEB and desktop has been really bad as of this month .. probably due to the "new" architecture 

not to talk about the fact that as of latest update copying an image from one note to anther causes a 'spinning' image .. 

Miss the days where I use to chat directly to customer support via live support .. and they used to really respond to bugs .. 

6 hours ago, Ralph77 said:

Till now I'd just assumed that version 10 was a slug, as it has always been much slower since the update from v8 a few months back. I left it till the last moment to update to v10. So this gives me at least a modicum of hope!

I moved to V10 about 18 months ago, and I have never noticed it to be any slower than Legacy. Certainly, when I changed over at first, my workflow suffered a bit, but that was due to different things being located in different places on the note and different menus. Once I had found my way around, I have never looked back. In fact, my use of Evernote increased exponentially, and I now have well over four times the notes I had back then.

• Like 1

OK well reinstalling the Android app it was a bit of an adventure in itself*, but at first glance it is definitely faster now. I'll refrain from customising my settings too much in the next day or two, see how it fares first. (Just in case it may be a combination of settings preferences that causes the issue.)

* I was unable to sign in to the app in the usual way because first it needs username + pwd + humanity detection (no issue) but then of course it needs the 2FA code as well. And there's the issue: because as soon as I leave the login screen to get the 2FA code from my authenticator app, EN closes! And then requires my username + pwd + humanity detection again - and around we go in a merry circle. Not hard to resolve, as I used one of my 2FA backup codes instead. But annoying that it should behave that way.

Edited by Ralph77
Android app
  • Like 2

I had no trouble getting the credentials from my password manager. The issue was the next step - getting the auth code from Authy (would be the same issue if using Google or Microsoft Authenticatiors).

Maybe iOS is different, but in Android you can't just switch back from Authy to EN at this stage. Because as soon as I navigated away from EN it shut itself down.

No point coming back to EN with a 6-digit code that expires in 30 seconds when it takes far longer than that to go through the whole login process all over again (most of that time being the multiple 'prove you are a human' puzzles).

I would classify this as a bug. If I hadn't had 2FA backup codes noted, I'd've had to log in to EN on a PC and temporarily disable 2FA. 

Either way, this is far too difficult and frustrating for the average user to manage, and would likely contribute to the average person's opinion that "this bl00dy 2FA business has gone too far these days!".

I had the issue the last time I was asked for 2FA on Android, which has been a while.  I had installed Google Authenticator for Evernote on three different Android devices when I set it up, though, so I was able to get the authenticator code by calling it up on another device. 

I suspect it is a bug that occurs on some of the gazillion combinations of Android implementation, hardware, version, etc.

Vinnie 

• Like 1