The new sync mechanism is corrupting and destroying notes

Go to solution Solved by Holger Degroot,

I started a note at 8:00 this morning and last edited it at 18:00. Then I closed it. In the document there were 20 tasks with a title that I assigned myself. After I closed the note, the sync mechanism corrupted the document and resets it to 8:00. There are about 20 note histories and versions, but they all have the same and same state as at 8 o'clock, so virtually a whole day's work is gone. Have you also had this experience? For me, the problem occurs since the 10.5x.xx since Evernote has released the new sync mechanism for collaborative work. I've opened a ticket with support, but so far I haven't received much help. The dashboard shows notes as changed that I haven't changed in weeks or months, other than reading them. It seems that somehow every document is always updated just then, whether or not the content has been actively edited. Evernote is breaking documents. Who knows of a workaround? Does it do any good to go to older clients that don't support the sync mechanism?

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

Welcome to the forums, @Holger Degroot. Others have reported loss of content also, and we have been told that Evernote programmers are actively investigating the problems. Just regarding notes being marked as "updated" simply for having viewed them, this is also a known issue that they are working on.

Just experienced my first data loss. Not happy about this, Evernote. 🤬 Keeping my data safe is the #1 job of any electronic app, especially one that purports to be my elephant memory.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Evernote Expert

Of course. Neither is Evernote happy. The data loss issue is getting the highest attention along with the note loading.

I"m told that support tickets together with logs, note ID, date & time are really valuable.

I experience this too. Notes losing entered changed clearly there in the editor, and when closign the window reverting to an older version. This is horrible. It suddenly makes the delays on openign notes, changing tags and other productivity killing slowness very acceptable. Thx for you info @agsteele.  I'll be following the forums and this post carefully.

• Like 1

Try downloading the new update 10.58.3, early days but I have just updated and looks like it is working a lot faster on the "old Notes" update (most only taking one to two secs) so might also help with other issues people are having. 

1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

Try downloading the new update 10.58.3, early days but I have just updated and looks like it is working a lot faster on the "old Notes" update (most only taking one to two secs) so might also help with other issues people are having. 

hmm, most notes convert in 5 seconds but I still have 1 minute delays for very old notes never touched for a long time (> 8 years), I have the impression that these notes get lower conversion prio ? )

• Like 2
Just now, eric99 said:

hmm, most notes convert in 5 seconds but I still have 1 minute delays for very old notes never touched for a long time (> 8 years), I have the impression that these notes gets lower conversion prio ? )

After updating, I managed to get through a pile of notes (around 50) which dated back 6 years and could count on one hand the number that took more than two secs to process, and many were quite large notes.  Looks like a major improvement.  

• Like 3
  • Level 5

You can always decide to panic 🙀 

Personally I had no loss of data, I did have this annoying wait when opening some notes (and none with others). I think data loss was a different root cause, probably leading to this „low on memory“ warning that came with the latest release 10.58.3. I doubt it was widespread.

But sure, just go checking, nothing wrong with this. I prefer to use my Import Folders for these uploads. They keep a copy of the documents, serving as a potential backup.

• Haha 1

I spent 2 hours on a plane writing detailed notes on my iPad (iPadOS version 16.5). Now that I am back online the note is gone. Have logged a support ticket. This is for a meeting tomorrow 😔

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

In general when on an extended editing session, interrupt it every time it seems adequate, and leave the note briefly. This will wrap the editing towards the server, and makes it save and sync, even if something did not go well in between.

Then reopen the note, and continue.

I have been having the above issues now for about a week and half. Notes not syncing, losing content and tasks out of sync. I have used Evernote since 2011 and these issues have made my question my reliance on the product. I currently pay for Professional and my life is in there. I use it over 3 machines and they all show something slightly different at present.

The support team are working on my case, like many others but Evernote needs to restore my trust.  

Yet over the last 10 days I have had to use backup methods, mainly Google Drive to ensure I have stuff when I need it. 

What are your backup methods?