Reduce the Price Increase and Remove Unnecessary "AI"

I'm sure everyone at the Evernote offices are eager to continue their research in AI but I doubt many Evernote users were eager for any AI-related features. If all you're using it for is to make grammatical suggestions or improve search, then it's overkill. 

With that removed, then I believe you can reduce your price increase. If anyone agrees, please voice your concerns.

• Like 3

I think I'm on the side of the fence that doesn't really care to have AI integrated into Evernote, but I think it's probably a losing battle. So hopefully the implementation of it is actually somewhat useful and not just gimmicky.

Here are several other recent posts expressing support or interest for AI with some voicing concern in those threads:

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

I think I'm on the side of the fence that doesn't really care to have AI integrated into Evernote, but I think it's probably a losing battle. So hopefully the implementation of it is actually somewhat useful and not just gimmicky.

Here are several other recent posts expressing support or interest for AI with some voicing concern in those threads:

My primary concern is that it's an unneeded cost. We're paying more for something I suspect won't make a meaningful impact.

• Like 1

Well, if AI truelly understands me, and can help me return the right notes with a vague discussion with the search engine, understanding "no, no, you are returning hobby like notes, I am looking for something work related probably around 2 years ago" and thén finding the right notes. Or truelly onderstandig who it concerns, or wha tproject, and organizing notes like that, or summarizing 20 notes into a compact timeline of 20 bullets, that would be great. Anything else, not really I think. They talked about "summarzing a single note" that doesn't sounds promising. I alreayd write down summaries.

• Level 5*

Hmmn. I've mentioned before that all the AI services have flat-out lied to me,  but I have to say that their input (mainly ChatGPT's) is always useful whatever I'm doing.  There's a degree of rubberducking (look it up!) in that trying to explain an issue in plain language often helps me understand what I'm doing wrong,  or suggests new ways of researching an issue;  plus even with wrong answers,  the fact that the AI-duck talks back also helps.  I looked into something new to me a little while ago and didn't even know the technical terms I needed to look up.  AI asking me "did you mean..." helped.

Don't have the cutting handy,  but ChatGPT was initially banned in Italy because (apparently) of data security concerns.  It's now been unbanned (with much less publicity) because if you go to Settings > Data Controls you can switch off "chat history & training" which will then exclude your input from being part of the data used by the AI to create future responses. OpenAI still caveat that they'll monitor conversations for abuse,  and AFAIK there's no way to check whether they keep any of their promises. And you need to note down (in some convenient note-taking application) what you want to keep,  because the data will be removed 30 days later.

Having said all of which:  it's everyone's choice which bits of an app to use,  and which not;  but the provider is not going to give you a special deal based on your intended usage - if they do it for one,  they do it for all;  which means about 100 different applications and payment options.  Which means you'd still pay way more for what you intend to use,  because of the cost of giving you that option.

Sorry,  but the only options here are:  suck it up or move on!

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, estevancarlos said:

I'm sure everyone at the Evernote offices are eager to continue their research in AI but I doubt many Evernote users were eager for any AI-related features. If all you're using it for is to make grammatical suggestions or improve search, then it's overkill. 

With that removed, then I believe you can reduce your price increase. If anyone agrees, please voice your concerns.

I’m I healthy skeptic when it comes to AI integration with anything, but I’ll wait to see what they come up with before criticizing it.  I suspect BS will be leveraging some in-house technology.  It may be they felt that Evernote was a good fit for some of the tech they had and may have been one of the reasons for the purchase.  Just a guess, but either way, I’m curious to see what they come up with.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, estevancarlos said:

Look around you,  most competitors are putting  it in their product range.  Evernote can't but follow the AI wave to survive.

And AI search would be very useful, certainly for unstructured data !

• Level 5
19 hours ago, estevancarlos said:

My primary concern is that it's an unneeded cost. We're paying more for something I suspect won't make a meaningful impact.

But there is a flaw in this assumption. Evernote has added all kinds of features without raising prices since something like 2016. The current price increases are not simply to pay for AI yet to be added (which will be opt-in, again showing that it is unrelated to the price increases). They are in part to bring the pricing up to par with the feature set.

• Level 5

„Paying more“ and „getting features“ is only mildly connected. Paying more means the company gets more money, to whatever end they use it. Getting features means the product get enhanced, no matter how this is financed.

Adding features without paying more is what we (paying) users got in the last years. Paying more is what happens at the moment, and in the moment my account is charged, the features stay the same.

The connection between payment and feature enhancement is only made by the promise „If you give us more money, we give you more features“. Which remains to be proven …

• Like 1