After upgrade to Evernote 7.14 on MacOS Ventura 13.0.1 my notes are now very narrow with lots of whitespace on the right

After upgrading the notes dow not fill out the entire Notebook area.  They only show up halfsize with white space on the right.  If I expand the size of the window the whitespace (or should I say gray-space just gets bigger but the content of the notebook remains narrow.  If I open the notebook in it's own window then it's the normal size.

Attached is a screenshot showing the issue. 

I looked through Preferences and don't see a new setting that might have caused this behavior.  It's really a poor use of screen real-estate.  There is no handle to grab that screen on the right and resize it to fill out the right hand side.

Thanks.

Evernote problem.jpg

7 hours ago, bennetthall said:

Absolutely awful - how could you release this without proper testing?   What has happened to this company? 

I don't think you understand the problem. Did you read PinkElephant's comment right before yours?

Evernote 7.14 was released on December 12, 2019: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/122340-evernote-for-mac-714/

This post is a problem because of an Apple OS update and change to MacOS Ventura 13.0.1 -- the Evernote product 7.14 hasn't changed in three years and is end-of-life.

If you want to update to the latest software -- you can get it here: https://evernote.com/download

• Level 5
2 hours ago, bennetthall said:

Absolutely awful - how could you release this without proper testing?   What has happened to this company? 

I have been loyal for nearly a decade -  

wow SMH all the bad social media darts I can send - shame on youer team

LOL - running software deprecated for 2 years now, with a successor already counting 49 releases cycles. Crying foul when being himself 50 (!) releases behind only shows bad updating habits.

Nobody is testing if a piece of software that’s out of the loop that far will stand an OS change. If it fails, it fails, it’s as simple as that.

• Like 1

@PinkElephantWhile I understand that V7 is depreciated - here we are "...2 years now, with a successor already counting 49 release cycles...", and there still isnt feature parity with the older V7 versions.  I know we're stuck, but there is a real reason a lot of people still run Evernote Legacy V7...

Edited by mshannon
spelling
  • Like 3
22 minutes ago, mshannon said:

and there still isnt feature parity with the older V7 versions

I don't think this is ever going to happen and I'm not sure it is even one of Evernote's goals. Features will come and go as a product evolves, but true that the feature change from Legacy to v10 was definitely way more abrupt than most.

In the end for some, v10 is enough different (depending on workflow and personal preference) that it's almost like a different product from a different company that just happens to have a built-in note database migration. So choosing to go to v10 could be the same as choosing to go to a new product for them. (Plus maybe now there is a better fit out there with some of the newer product offerings.)

FWIW - I used to keep Legacy around so I could tweak the modify datetime of the note since you can't do that in v10, but it became too much of a hassle so now I just deal with it (and only think of it with the tiniest bit of annoyance!)

• Level 5
23 hours ago, Boot17 said:

FWIW - I used to keep Legacy around so I could tweak the modify datetime of the note since you can't do that in v10, but it became too much of a hassle so now I just deal with it

I found the modification of the Created Date for notes so valuable in the Legacy version.  But I switched to newest versions with no ability to edit the created date.

I've been using Evernote since 2008 (70,000+ notes). Fortunately, many years ago, I started adding my modified created date at the beginning of each note title. So this crutch has helped me document what I consider to be my version of the created date.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

But I switched to newest versions with no ability to edit the created date.

FWIW - You can change the created date in v10, just not the Updated (Modified) date -- at least on Desktop (and probably web):

image.png.1a15690a1dfd5a3afbf5747f850f413c.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5
21 hours ago, Boot17 said:

FWIW - You can change the created date in v10

Boot17 - you are a wonderful person. I have posted this issue several times with no fruitful responses. But you came through!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Boot17 said:

FWIW - You can change the created date in v10, just not the Updated (Modified) date -- at least on Desktop (and probably web):

I have been using this in V10 for ages mainly for archiving email (I set the date and time the email was oiginally sent)

• Like 1

I also have been using v7.14 for years because I don't like V 10, and purposely chose not to move to, what I think is a significantly inferior, v 10.   But on the computer that I upgraded to Ventura, v7.14 has display problems described above and it looks like an "upgrade" is the only choice (with heavy emphasis on the quotes).   For me, it is really a PITA to have to click on every PDF, Click on the 3 dots, View As "All Pages" in every single stinking note!   As others have suggested, this needs to be a global option/setting.   Aren't computers supposed to automate repetitive tasks?   Others have said that this may have been implemented to optimize load time ...  I have developed software and that's a bogus answer.  Fix the architecture!

Well - I thought I'd chime in with my experience since I posted on 11/29. The current version of Evernote just does not meet my needs, is (still) less than version 7, and appears to have bugs (or perhaps this is still non feature parity - I'm uncertain).   I am migrating away from Evernote after having been a customer since June, 2009 - 13 1/2 years.  I think I am going to OneNote - but I am in the market and evaluating.  Moving will be a tremendous effort, but it appears worth it at this point.  

And that is the point of my writing this - the effort to move 13 years of knowledge is now less than the lack of features and trouble Evernote causes today.  Evernote no longer helps me - it hinders. I think its important that the company knows the impact of their latest direction and decisions.

I am sure there have been many other emails like this before and I don't expect mine to make a difference - buy maybe it will be one of customer voices that helps.  I don't even know if an Evernote employee will see it in this forum.  I care enough about this issue to at least make this effort.

My best to all who remain - and better - to those that find true value in the current version of the software and direction of the company.

I am thankful for all Evernote helped me do - and hope for better times for the software and company moving forward.   -  Matt

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No staff in the forum, most of the time.

Nobody is forced to use any product or service. If something else meets you use cases better, then move. The current version of EN does a lot more than legacy ever did - and there are some isolated things it still doesn't do as good.

If you want to send your experience to EN, you can use the feedback function integrated into the v10 clients. Something else not found in the legacy versions ...

• 1 month later...

A few Solutions I can think of:

1. run a Virtual Machine on your Mac with a lower Mac OS and just keep Evernote running there.

2. Use ScreenSharing on another mac with just 10.13 and running Evernote.7.14

3. Switch between Mac OS on a Mac. Will work if you have an intel mac

Ice

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 5:44 PM, iceman melb said:

1. run a Virtual Machine on your Mac with a lower Mac OS and just keep Evernote running there.

2. Use ScreenSharing on another mac with just 10.13 and running Evernote.7.14

3. Switch between Mac OS on a Mac. Will work if you have an intel mac

Eventually they'll change something about the sync protocol that the Legacy client won't be able to understand, and that will truly be it. And at that point I'll move to something else (not terribly appealing, as the main contenders are OneNote and Joplin, and neither are great).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a brand new M2 Mac Mini, came out on Tues, got Wed. Ventura 13.2. Delighted to say, by the way, I got HiDPI at a reasonable resolution (1024 x 576) out of the box! Using 43" LG HD TV. This is the Holy Grail, gift wrapped and delivered!

Anyway, I sacked Evernote because of the stupid menu bar icon. Seriously?!

Installed Evernote Legacy. At first I had some wasted space on the right. I switched to top list view and hide sidebars. Now, the notes take up most of the hight and all the width of the screen just from a single click.

Strange thing is I never had either problem before, using Evernote non-legacy and Ventura.

• Level 5

You run a brand new Mac, and a zombified EN legacy software.

Ventura caused the display problems by an unknown modification, nobody is going to fix, since legacy is deprecated.

You can only use the current version, or accept the display problem. It can be temporarily circumvented, but not solved.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I would have thought your Mac should run v10 without any issues at all!

Well, I think the issue was that there must not be enough screen real estate on the 43" LG HD TV to display an Evernote icon in the menu bar. (joking)

On 1/26/2023 at 6:46 PM, Boot17 said:

Well, I think the issue was that there must not be enough screen real estate on the 43" LG HD TV to display an Evernote icon in the menu bar. (joking)

I sit 6 ft away and have poor eyesight, so I'm using a low resolution. Hence the need for HiDPI to sharpen the fonts up. So yeah, menu bar can get filled. Firefox right now is using slightly over half of it. Some apps use more or less. Numbers uses about 70%, leaving space for 6 menu bar items plus time and date. I use Numbers a lot.

3 hours ago, mrs jones said:

I sit 6 ft away and have poor eyesight, so I'm using a low resolution.

Oi! That would make a huge difference for sure as I believe that display has almost 4K pixels wide for the default (I was thinking it was even more than that initially though).

8 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Oi! That would make a huge difference for sure as I believe that display has almost 4K pixels wide for the default (I was thinking it was even more than that initially though).

It's HD 1920 x 1080. But on that resolution, everything is too small to read. 1280 x 720 is the ideal resolution for me on a 43" screem, but the writing is a bit blurred. HiDPI doubles pixels both way, so you get 4 for every 1. So it gets sharpened up. This M2 Mac doesn't offer that, but it does give 1024 x 576 HiDIP.. This means everything is slightly bigger than ideal, which is fine 99% of the time. I've had to swap to a lower resolution a few times, just for a minute, due to the "done" button not showing on a preferences box or something. I could use a third party app to give more resolutions maybe, but I'll see how it goes.

Going back to the menu bar icon, as well as eating valuable space, the other reason I don't like it is the more I have, the longer it takes me to see which one I want. It gets confusing. Again, I have low vision, so I probably have to look harder. And I have the menu and dock on auto-hide as I can't stand it being there all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I want to get rid of legacy... BUT: The only reason I still have Legacy installed is the ability to applescript a file into Evernote as a new note in a given notebook and with given tags. Background: Hazel monitors the download folder for certain files and then deposits them in Evernote and deletes them from the download directory.

Here the (Apple)-Script:

tell application "Evernote Legacy"
	activate
	create note from file theFile notebook {"sipgate"} tags {"sipgate", "Invoice", "2023", "Office"}
end tell

As far as I know, AppleScript is not supported by v10 and probably never will be.

Does anyone here know any other way I can get the file without legacy into Evernote into a specific notebook with hashtags specified? If no: Then I still have to rely on the zombified legacy version, whether I like it or not...

• Level 5*

Hi.  Two options. 

You can create several Import Folders,  all pointing to different notebooks and just drop the file into the correct notebook - Create import folders – Evernote Help & Learning

Or you could use Filterize which can use a 'table' of keywords,  tags and notebook names to take any note dropped into your default notebook,  and tag title and assign to a specific notebook.  (Which sounds a lot like what you're doing).  There is a 'free' level in Filterize (IIRC) but I subscribe to get more options.

Edit:  forgot one - you could also create some template notes for your desktop,  pop up the correct note for your file and just attach the bare file and save.

Well, I finally did it - migrated away from Evernote. I'm not getting a native client or anything, but at least I'm getting control of my data and a certain amount of control back over the UI. Not gonna lie - it's not as polished as Evernote was (especially tables!), but it will work for me. Not saying what as I don't want this to be a shill post, but suffice to say there's options out there. Find one that works for you.

• Level 5

Control of your data = EN. Who else might be controlling it ?

UI adaptability = EN. UI issues are always a matter of personal taste - but v10 brought us for the first time a unified UI, working the same on all clients.

But if you are happy now with an inferior solution (your own description), feel elated.

On 2/6/2023 at 6:46 PM, gazumped said:

You can create several Import Folders,  all pointing to different notebooks and just drop the file into the correct notebook - Create import folders – Evernote Help & Learning

Hi, thank you for the answer! OK, I didn't know that. Unfortunately I can't tag the files. At least, this way you get the notes into the right notebook already! 😃

Or you could use Filterize which can use a 'table' of keywords,  tags and notebook names to take any note dropped into your default notebook,  and tag title and assign to a specific notebook.  (Which sounds a lot like what you're doing).  There is a 'free' level in Filterize (IIRC) but I subscribe to get more options.

Again: Thanks and I didn't know this either. But another monthly subscription is not an option. 😜

Edit:  forgot one - you could also create some template notes for your desktop,  pop up the correct note for your file and just attach the bare file and save.

... but then this has to be done by hand and is no longer done automatically...

Thanks again for your effort! But I think no suggestion is such the right replacement for my case. Is just annoying because it was built into Evernote and now just disappeared. 🤷

• Like 1
On 2/6/2023 at 9:12 PM, diamondsw said:

Well, I finally did it - migrated away from Evernote. I'm not getting a native client or anything, but at least I'm getting control of my data and a certain amount of control back over the UI. Not gonna lie - it's not as polished as Evernote was (especially tables!), but it will work for me. Not saying what as I don't want this to be a shill post, but suffice to say there's options out there. Find one that works for you.

And you migrated to... ?!? Yes, the display error after I upgraded to macOS Ventura, which was also the reason for this thread, finally made me look into an alternative in more detail.

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5

10.59 may have its surprises, but not executing on Macs with Ventura is not among them.

I run it both on an Intel MacBook Pro and a M1 MacMini, both on Ventura 13.5 and have no issues with opening the app, on both.

The fun starts after it’s open …