Evernote for Mac 7.14

Nick L.

Idea

Hello,

Evernote for Mac 7.14 is now available. You can download it here.

Fixed:

• Sometimes the app would get stuck loading a note (usually a web clip or shared note) until finally it gave up and assumed you were offline. But now your notes should load fast enough to make you smile.
  • If you updated to macOS Catalina then tried to highlight text inside a PDF, it would look like there was nothing selected. You could say it was a big fail, but on the bright side, we fixed it.
  • Updates to templates

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hello Nick, thanks for releasing 7.14 officially. Have installed it right away, worked very well (MacBook Pro 15 / 2018, Catalina 10.15.2, direct install).

I use MacUpdate and AppCleaner to stay current and clean. When I updated, I got a window from AppCleaner with several folders it wanted to erase. I confirmed, and got a good install. I am not sure it works always like this, especially when updating without a little help.

Today I tried to help a forum member who had an installation of 7.14 beta 2 that obviously took a wrong turn. Maybe these cases are related to some system residue not cleaned out.

21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Hello Nick, thanks for releasing 7.14 officially. Have installed it right away, worked very well (MacBook Pro 15 / 2018, Catalina 10.15.2, direct install).

I use MacUpdate and AppCleaner to stay current and clean. When I updated, I got a window from AppCleaner with several folders it wanted to erase. I confirmed, and got a good install. I am not sure it works always like this, especially when updating without a little help.

Today I tried to help a forum member who had an installation of 7.14 beta 2 that obviously took a wrong turn. Maybe these cases are related to some system residue not cleaned out.

AppCleaner always leaves contents from the Group Containers directory unchecked, which is mostly the database. If you were trying to roll back a user from a beta to a general availability version, you must check all the boxes, particularly the one for the Group Containers directory. 

Image 2019-12-13 at 12.25.10 PM.png

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

I installed the new Safari Web Clipper but there is a problem. I cannot load the site "Gothamist.com." It seems to load, but disappears. The problem is resolved if I deactivate the Evernote Web Clipper. I tried deleting the Web Clipper app and reinstalled it from the App Store, but I get the same problem. 

Trying to clip from this site (it shows up blank in Safari) gives a blank note in Evernote, too.

Thanks for looking into this.

Bruce

• Level 5

Just tried the site with my iPad. There will always be pages that make it hard to clip or else, because they want the traffic themselves, or just do not know how to deliver a „good“ page. The Site misses the option to switch to reader mode as well.

Probably the code of the Site sucks - I get pretty weird results, either on sending it directly into EN, or using a shortcut command. 

A better result came when I shared it from my DuckDuckGo - browser (which is a privacy-optimized non-profit browser). The most interesting effect is that a lot of ads disappear. Sharing is possible, but takes a lot of time. In EN it still has a weird appearance, which from their look makes me believe it relies heavily on tables to do the formatting of the page.

The best solution I found was to „print“ it into a pdf, and send this into EN. The page looks like in the browser, full of ads, but with all the information. Because it is a pdf, the information is now static, which for a page like this probably does not make much sense.

Maybe the EN team will look after the page, to see what’s different. But I would not expect a „fix“.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:00 PM, DTLow said:

We should be discussing this in the web clipper forum

I can confirm your results - I have ticket #2983029  opened for this

edit: Feedback from technical support
Our development team is aware of the issue and they're currently working on a fix.

Someone posted here

Thanks so much for the very helpful info, and I'll go to the web clipper forum for the rest of this discussion. I'm new to this forum and didn't realize.

• Level 5*
On 12/12/2019 at 4:30 PM, PinkElephant said:

I use MacUpdate and AppCleaner to stay current and clean.

On 12/13/2019 at 2:28 PM, Nick L. said:

AppCleaner always leaves contents from the Group Containers directory unchecked, which is mostly the database.

You might try AppDelete, which I believe initially checks all related folders/files.  Years ago AppCleaner was reported as missing some files, so I started using AppDelete.  It has always worked well for me, and I've never seen any reports about it missing files.

• Level 5*
On 12/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, Nick L. said:

Evernote for Mac 7.14 is now available.

Looks like you may have introduced a bug:

On 12/21/2019 at 9:18 PM, JMichaelTX said:

@SMcCandlish, OK, it just tested this running Evernote 7.13 (458080) on macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave), and it worked:

• file:///Users/Shared/Dropbox/Mac%20Only/Scan%20Inbox/ExamplePDF.pdf
  • mailto:SomeUser@SomeDomain.com

So this must be a change between EN Mac 7.13 and 7.14.

Too bad.  I was just about to update to Ver 7.14, but I'll hold off for now.

• Level 5

About AppCleaner: It does not miss anything (at least to my experience), it only has rules for a regular uninstall on what to delete, and what to leave. These can be overruled by checking things manually in the pre-cleaning window. Usually it is o.k. to leave the unchecked items on the Mac. These are the data files. Since EN reinstalls from the server, they can go as well. With other programs that are not server based, it is better to keep them.

In case of a complete uninstall I check these positions manually, and off they go.

• Level 5*
On 12/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, Nick L. said:

Evernote for Mac 7.14 is now available.

@Nick L. or any Users of Ver 7.14, can you please confirm, or refute, that in Ver 7.14 you can set a hyperlink (Format > Link > Add) using a URL to these:

1. file URL:   file:///some.path/someFileName.ext
  2. email:       mailto:someName@someDomain

Thanks.

@Nick L., while I'm here, could I please ask you to reinforce, to your Dev Team,  our request to allow Non-http url schemes in notes and links  as valid link URLs.

ALL USERS:  If you agree with this request, please go to Non-http url schemes in notes and links  and cast your vote for it.  Thanks.

I think, at least I hope, that this would be a simple change, just a matter of changing the validation of what is allowed in the Add Link dialog.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
36 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Users of Ver 7.14, can you please confirm, or refute, that in Ver 7.14 you can set a hyperlink (Format > Link > Add) using a URL to these:

1. file URL:   file:///some.path/someFileName.ext
  2. email:       mailto:someName@someDomain

Confirmed

• Like 1

Hello,

I've just switched to Mac (MB pro 16, catalina 10.15.3) from Windows.
I have been an Evernote user for years so I immediately reinstalled the app unfortunately the screen capture function does not work on Mac, using the shortcut nothing happens.
I have tried several reinstallations but nothing to do, I have checked the permissions and evernote has all those that ask but it does not appear in Capture screen section so I cannot enable it there.
What else can I do? Please help.

Schermata 2020-03-14 alle 19.42.10.png

Hello,
I just uninstalled the latest compatible evernote version I had on my Mac (El Capitan 10.11.6) because the app, data, and app's speed had become literally an elephant.
Then I tried to reinstalled it but, received a notice that my mac is not compatible with evernote's latest version (probably updated version).
What should I do?..
(I'm on the evernote plus plan...)

11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This means  that you can  only install an older version that will work with you older MacOS version.

The best way to find out which older version will work with your OS you should probably issue a support ticket.

Just did!...

11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@emilime Did you install from the AppStore, or did you download the EN client software from the EN website ?

Both! App store said straight away that I can't download the app cause of the incompatibility (!!) and EN website let me downloaded it and after I initiated installment, got the message of the incompatibility...
Wonder why the put us in all that inconvenience, as the should know which version each device of each EV client are... They have all the info!!!

• Level 5

If you know the version you need, it could be downloaded from this web site:

https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/mac/versions

The AppStore always has the latest version approved by Apple. Because approval can take some days, this is sometimes not the most recent release.

What is more Important: Apps from the App Store run in a sandboxed Mode. This can cause all sorts of problems. Because of that it is better to run the program downloaded directly from the EN web site, or in case of older versions from sites that offer a version history.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you know the version you need, it could be downloaded from this web site:

https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/mac/versions

The AppStore always has the latest version approved by Apple. Because approval can take some days, this is sometimes not the most recent release.

What is more Important: Apps from the App Store run in a sandboxed Mode. This can cause all sorts of problems. Because of that it is better to run the program downloaded directly from the EN web site, or in case of older versions from sites that offer a version history.

Thanks a lot, that helps!!!

• Thanks 1
On 12/12/2019 at 6:51 PM, Nick L. said:

Hello,

Evernote for Mac 7.14 is now available. You can download it here.

Hi @Nick L. can you provide a link to the latest "normal" version for Windows as well? Not "legacy" version with ugly gray icon. Latest pre-10 version for Windows with normal green icon. Thank you.

Hi, 

I am running the following Evernote version:

Version 7.14.1 (458325 Direct)
Editor: 69.3.10951 (15add1e)

I just got a new MacBook Pro running Big Sur. I reinstalled the Evernote Legacy version 7.14 and now whenever I click to record audio from within a note, the entire application crashes and shows an error report (attached).

Please do not recommend updating to the new 10 version of Evernote - it is missing too many features (including audio recordings) for me to use it every day as I do for work. Hope you can help me.

Evernote Legacy quit unexpectedly.txt

This (7.14.1) was the last tolerable release of Evernote. It doesn't work with my new MacBook. This company rivals Microsoft for making gratuitous changes that nobody needs whilst simultaneously removing features that many of use every day. Why??

• Level 5

No reason for a why - it is as it is.

Personally I catch myself using v10 on the Mac more and more. Still not entirely - some features are only available on Legacy. But most normal workflows are already fully supported with v10.

Better be happy about your shiny new M1-Mac, that being angry about things that will be released one day (hopefully).