Latest update broke Evernote.

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

17 hours ago, Wolfington X. Analemma said:

Evernote updated itself yesterday and this is all I get now. There seems to be no way to contact the developers. Running Win7 64-bit. Web app still works fine, Android app still works fine. Any hope for getting this fixed?

Evernote Crash.jpg

The latest version of Electron (software used by desktop Evernote) updated some components which no longer support Windows 7. This is technically fixable, but Win7 is so old that there is very little enthusiasm for doing so (see links below), and even if it happens, it's going to be temporary at best before another software component is updated and breaks on Windows 7. Also note that Evernote officially requires Windows 10 per their system requirements page.

I would suggest it's time to consider upgrading to a newer OS.

https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/35219

https://github.com/bugsnag/bugsnag-js/issues/1783

https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/pull/159546

https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/issues/158362

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5
On 9/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, Wolfington X. Analemma said:

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Using the legacy client will serve my needs; I will update to Win10 when the Cubs win the pennant again. Maybe.

If you get a notice on your screen that the Cubs have won the pennant, then you'll definitely know that Windows 7 is just not secure enough to keep the fake news phishing scams out.

• Haha 1
On 9/4/2022 at 9:09 AM, Wolfington X. Analemma said:

Evernote updated itself yesterday and this is all I get now. There seems to be no way to contact the developers. Running Win7 64-bit. Web app still works fine, Android app still works fine. Any hope for getting this fixed?

Evernote Crash.jpg

Exact same problem here. I have Windows 7:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    GRACE
System Manufacturer    SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
System Model    RF511/RF411/RF711
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 17HX.M045.20121127.SSH, 27/11/2012
SMBIOS Version    2.7
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    Mexico
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.24545"
User Name    GRACE\one
Time Zone    Central Daylight Time (Mexico)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    7.91 GB
Available Physical Memory    2.17 GB
Total Virtual Memory    15.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory    5.57 GB
Page File Space    7.91 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

07-09-2022 09-13-12 p.m..png

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tonymynd said:

Exact same problem here. I have Windows 7:

07-09-2022 09-13-12 p.m..png

I so love Windows 7, it is extremely fast and simple w/o so much monitoring software or commercials.  Where can I find the previous functioning version? Or just run it on the web? Such a tragedy 😩

• Like 2
  • Level 5

A tragedy is when a lot of computers run a completely unsafe, abandoned operating system. Each one can be converted to be part of a botnet, attacking other computers, relaying spam and other „uses“. Modern malware runs undetected and persistent.

It is an error to believe Win7 would not „call home“, and I never saw a „commercial“ on my Win10 installations. 

The only version of EN that will not update itself is legacy. It misses all features introduced over the last 2 years. It can be installed here:

• Like 1

For whatever it's worth I opened a ticket on this and had a chat today with Evernote.  After sending my log files etc they told me "it's a known issue and we're working to fix it".  He specifically said something to the effect that there would be a fix because I asked when it would be available and he suggested that I keep checking.  Therefore, I don't know if he was trying to placate me or if there is indeed some work going on with this fix.  Of course EN has no obligation whatsoever to devise a fix for an outdated operating system; however, if it's something that is easy to do and would please many of their customers I can't imagine what the downside would be.  I understand that in an ideal world all of should be upgrading to the newer operating systems but many of us have specific reasons for not doing so and yet would want to continue enjoying the benefits of EN (we were doing just fine yesterday).

• Level 5

Since it says „Java Script error“, there is hope. Java Script is used by the EN devs to code the app, not by the framework on which it is running. If the framework still supports Win7, the question is whether solving the app side issues is possible with sufficient resources.

So I think (without deeper knowledge) that they are on a fix indeed.

42 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Since it says „Java Script error“, there is hope. Java Script is used by the EN devs to code the app, not by the framework on which it is running. If the framework still supports Win7, the question is whether solving the app side issues is possible with sufficient resources.

So I think (without deeper knowledge) that they are on a fix indeed.

That's wonderful news (potentially).  In the medical field (ie: mine) there are a lot of super-expensive legacy type instruments that are still working on win 7.  Just to put in perspective, some of these initially cost $65,000 or more.  There is no feasible way to upgrade these devices other than just buying new ones because the predatory manufacturers designed it this way ie: the programs that do the actual measurements would not work with a more advanced operating system.  Our work stations are networked with these older devices and are also running win7 to match them.    We also have the last "local" versions of Acrobat X on all of our desktops and have probably paid thousands of dollars for that, as well as some other proprietary but outdated stuff that are all working well.  Therefore, upgrading to win 10 (which I use at home) would cause untold problems.  I am sure that we will have to do this eventually but I would do a lot to avoid it in the meantime.  Let's home EN shows some compassion for possibly thousands of their users that may also have issues such as these.

• Level 5

OT: We were running all sort of outdated equipment control units in our plant, and moved them all into the shelter of VMs in a network running on Windows 10. Each case was special, and it took us 2 years to make the transition.

I remember one specific case: A control software for a chemical processing installation worth an 8-digit investment. The constructor of the equipment had vanished, the subcontractor for the software was nowhere to be found. And the program asked for a very specific Ethernet card to be installed on the control PC - else it would simply not execute. It was absolute critical to get around this, because the card was not available any more, and the stock of spares was depleting.

In the end we managed to install the driver of the specific card into the VM, to make the software believe it had the physical equivalent. 

Going virtual is the only way to shield the insecure installations against todays threat environment. It takes 1 successful ransomware attack, and all of what you tell is bricked. Antivirus will not help you, when it runs on an OS that in itself is compromised.

• Like 1