Date format incorrect

C355#90

Idea

It appears that Evernote does not obey the device's set region for date format. It instead uses the US format of mm/dd/yyyy. It would be preferable to use my region's format of dd/mm/yyyy. Otherwise how do I know if 7/6/2022 is July 6th or June 7th? Or instead use the international format of yyyy/mm/dd and no one will be  confused. Alternatively use the month mnemonic eg: 7 Jun 2022 or Jun 7 2022.

16 replies to this idea

9 hours ago, C355#90 said:

It appears that Evernote does not obey the device's set region for date format. It instead uses the US format of mm/dd/yyyy. It would be preferable to use my region's format of dd/mm/yyyy. Otherwise how do I know if 7/6/2022 is July 6th or June 7th? Or instead use the international format of yyyy/mm/dd and no one will be  confused. Alternatively use the month mnemonic eg: 7 Jun 2022 or Jun 7 2022.

What version are you using and where does it use this format? This issue has been raised before and it doesn't seem to be easy to work out where exactly it is getting the format from. For me the date format is in UK format as expected. For example in the note information:

image.png.49ee80625566b60d565f0a8867ffdda1.png

At the top of a note:

image.png.4dc28ee39a87f0597a211f8ac68fc254.png

or when I press alt+shift+D

image.png.345570f55271bed6f761f536f07de0de.png

I never see anything like 3/7/22.

10.39.6-win-ddl-public (3451)
Editor: v150.2.18380
Service: v1.53.4
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Mike P said:

What version are you using and where does it use this format? This issue has been raised before and it doesn't seem to be easy to work out where exactly it is getting the format from. For me the date format is in UK format as expected. For example in the note information:

image.png.49ee80625566b60d565f0a8867ffdda1.png

At the top of a note:

image.png.4dc28ee39a87f0597a211f8ac68fc254.png

or when I press alt+shift+D

image.png.345570f55271bed6f761f536f07de0de.png

I never see anything like 3/7/22.

Interesting mixed bag. The mm/dd/yyyy format is found in the bottom left corner of each note snippet and in the note's History. Although as you point out it's a more readable format in the note Info. I suppose the date change was started but not completed?

-Bob.

My version is:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, C355#90 said:

The mm/dd/yyyy format is found in the bottom left corner of each note snippet and in the note's History.

Interesting. For me the snippet date is the same:

image.png.861003bad45c68cb3441a6b4fe3763a0.png

Note history, however, is in the dd/mm/yyyy form but is in the UK format as I would expect:

image.png.dd43a14ca859169688c9b1182ce7c796.png

If only everybody in the world used ISO8601!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We had mixups of the date format in the past already. EN uses the system setting.

If I remember it correctly, it had to do with secondary languages. Uninstalling all languages, restarting the device and then getting them installed again solved the problem in the cases reported in the forum (from memory).

• Like 1

I just updated this past weekend to the latest v10 of EN "Personal".  Have been using v8 on my Android phone and with the matching Windows 10 app on my business laptop to this point since 2013.

I tried to use the legacy v8 keyboard shortcut to insert a date & time and nothing happens.  I then see that the keyboard shortcut has been changed from...  " CTRL ; "  ... to ... " ALT SHIFT D ".   No problem, I can re-learn keyboard shortcuts and using "D" makes more sense for date & time insertion. 

The only problem is that this keyboard shortcut is inserting the date as July 6, 2022 and not 2022-06-06 as per the legacy app.  Also, it only inserts the date so I have to use a second set of keystrokes " CTRL D " to insert the time.   It appears that the time is being inserted with AM and PM and not the 24 hour format that I prefer and was using with the legacy app.

I also noted that when using the TOP LIST View to view Notes, in the Updated column it shows the date as Yesterday (for July 5) or Jul 4 all the way back to Jan 1, and then for the previous year it is listed as 12/29/21.   In the legacy app the Updated column is shown as Yesterday and anything 2 days old or more is shown in full date format, ex: 2022-07-04 17:35.  I prefer the legacy view.

I rechecked my Windows 10 system settings as this is a new'ish laptop and sure enough I have the "SHORT DATE" setting same as it used to be >>  yyyy-mm-dd.  Time is also set correctly for the Short format of 09:40 for 9:40 AM or 13:01 for 1:01 PM.

I have my Win10 system using the recommended "Canadian" English and I have never set-up another language, such as French, and unlike so many previous Win10 installations I've done, I believe this laptop was originally Canadian English and not the usual default of "US English".  

I use the yyyy-mm-dd format extensively to look up all my notes from a specific date when tracking client interactions so this is a big issue for me to get fixed.

• Evernote Expert

A lot of users run AutoHotKey which enables the ability to create keystrokes formatted as desired. I have Alt+Shift+; and this produces date and time in the format previously used in Legacy. AutoHotKey is a really useful application. Search the forums and you should find the instructions.

20 hours ago, agsteele said:

A lot of users run AutoHotKey which enables the ability to create keystrokes formatted as desired. I have Alt+Shift+; and this produces date and time in the format previously used in Legacy. AutoHotKey is a really useful application. Search the forums and you should find the instructions.

Thanks!  Took a peek.  Looks complicated.  I do not want to learn scripting but do-able with some copy and pastes.

However, I might keep working from the legacy version as I just saw an issue with searches where v10 is not finding data contained within PDF's I've dropped into notes.  This new version is looking to be the nightmare I was trying to avoid.  Now to find a thread re searching PDF's.

• Evernote Expert

The AutoHotKey script was easy to implement - at least I found it to be so.

Haven't had any issues searching inside PDFs with v10 but YMMV.... You may find that some of the issues discussed date back to earlier releases of the program.

Just now, PinkElephant said:

Just out of curiosity: What sort of malware protection are you using ?

EMSISOFT

uses a BitDefender core engine + EMSISOFT mods

I'm pretty sure it was a false positive just after a signatures update.  Thought I had backed it out but appears I did not.  Rebooted.  EN was gone.

I've re-installed.  Back to where I had it including new notes.

Still an issue with date format not picking up the Windows 10 "Short" ISO8601 formats when using ALT SHIFT D and CTRL SHIFT D.

Edit:  Haven't tried in browser yet.  Let's see....

No support for time stamps off an icon in the browser note editor.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:53 AM, agsteele said:

The AutoHotKey script was easy to implement - at least I found it to be so.

Haven't had any issues searching inside PDFs with v10 but YMMV.... You may find that some of the issues discussed date back to earlier releases of the program.

Thanks!  Works great on the Windows desktop.  Wish I'd something like this when I coded Paradox applications 30 years  ago.

Now to find the same function inside the Android app.

Just an update....

Here's the script I used in AutoHotKey to insert a date time stamp in the ISO8601 format.

!d::
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss
SendInput, %CurrentDateTime%
return

outputs >      2022-08-06 13:18:49

where !d::  = ALT D

I settled on "ALT D" as ALT D
works in v10, v8, Notepad,  and MS Word.

in v10, ALT SHIFT D inserts Date
in v10, CTRL SHIFT D inserts Time

CTRL ALT SHIFT D .. worked in v10 but is just too cumbersome for my fingers
CTRL ALT D .............. v10 (I forget); opens Text Formatting in v8 (if I recall correctly);  works in Notepad.
CTRL ALT 0 .............. does NOT work in v10;  works in v8 (CTRL ALT numpad 0/INS key) 
CTRL ALT DOWN ..... does NOT work in v10;  works in v8 (CTRL ALT down arrow)