Want ability to set default search filter to "Everywhere"

Stacey Harmon

Idea

22 replies to this idea

51 minutes ago, Stacey said:

The recent change that defaults a search to the selected notebook vs "everywhere" seems to be a major functionality shift from how the product has worked. And, it is very frustrating for those of us who are engrained in the way it has always been (defaulting to "Everywhere" with the option to click the notebook as a filter). 

I completely agree. See 

The lack of a way of switching using the keyboard is also annoying. As you say you have to remember to go to "notes" first (for which there is at least a keyboard option)

11 minutes ago, Mike P said:

The lack of a way of switching using the keyboard is also annoying. As you say you have to remember to go to "notes" first (for which there is at least a keyboard option)

Good reminder that there is a key command to switch to all notes. And, we 100% agree this should be a user preference!

• Like 3

I think that Evernote designers hate the preferences. So the easy solution in that case would be to remember the last used type of search. Once I switch to "Everywhere", all subsequent searches should default to "Everywhere", until I switch again.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, fczbkk said:

I think that Evernote designers hate the preferences. So the easy solution in that case would be to remember the last used type of search. Once I switch to "Everywhere", all subsequent searches should default to "Everywhere", until I switch again.

I think this is an excellent idea and would be applicable to other situations as well. The obvious example would be the new "include sub-tags" facility.

• Level 5*
On 11/14/2021 at 6:00 AM, Stacey said:

For users who purposely put in the effort to create naming conventions for notes, notebooks, and stacks, and take the time to be fluent in search, this constraint/default is limiting and frustrating. It feels like this default caters to the less savvy Evernote user. I would like consideration to be make for the power-user so that it is more efficient for us to find across all our notes. 

My sense of V10 in general, hence still using 6.25.1.  The productivity hit for my use case with V10 is mind numbing.  Some due to the inefficiency of the new engine and some due to feature and process changes such as this.  Version 6.25.1 is just faster and I suppose I tuned it to my needs across the years (mostly single click actions or AHK scripts).  My mind has not time to wander.  I know, someone moved my cheese.  🤷‍♂️

After a year I have begun mirroring my 56k notes to a different solution.  It won't be as efficient as 6.25.1 but will be orders of magnitude faster than V10 in its current state.  Really did not want to start the process but 6.25.1 won't be around forever.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, vxl119 said:

It is now May, and there hasn't been any updates on this topic. Has anyone found an acceptable solution? Constantly clicking "Everywhere" is getting old.

I use to Switch To function to search anywhere. Not exactly the same as getting a list of results but searches for things quickly so it may do the job. I think the shortcut is CTRL+ Q? I changed mine so may be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

On my Mac a way with keyboard shortcuts would be strg - cmd - E (search in EN), and then 2 times the down arrow key. This selects the „Everywhere“ button. Then type the search string and hit Enter to search. 

• Like 1

PinkElephant's suggestion - the down arrow key - doesn't work on Windows to move the focus from the search box to current notebook to "Everywhere". In Windows, the down arrow just moves the focus to the notebook that is under the current one.

I've tried every single combination of Sh, Ctrl And Alt with Tab and arrows, and nothing seems to work. 

In the search box in Windows: is there a keyboard shortcut to move the focus from the searchbox to the items in "Search in" when I'm inside a notebook?

image.png.97a79ddcc50faade2efdc76db2306fd0.png

I'm also struggling to find a keyboard shortcut to get to All Notes, so that "Everywhere" would open by default.

I'm really tired of having to use the mouse.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, lenarr said:

I'm also struggling to find a keyboard shortcut to get to All Notes, so that "Everywhere" would open by default.

All notes is alt+ctrl+2. 

image.png.94b958105be9ff68eede2168c6ffb456.png

• Like 1
16 hours ago, gazumped said:

Try Esc (if necessary) and then Win+Shift+F?

Thanks, Gazumped. Win+Sh+F opens the search box, which is nice. Once there, however, I need to click on Everywhere to move the default highlight from Search in "[Open Notebook] to Everywhere (all notebooks).

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Mike P said:

All notes is alt+ctrl+2. 

image.png.94b958105be9ff68eede2168c6ffb456.png

Thanks, Mike P. Ctrl-Alt-2 does nothing if the Notes panel is already open. I tried that yesterday.

Actually, I just noticed that NONE of these Alt-Ctrl keyboard combinations is working for me, not even Open Home. I'm running the version that installed today. Do any work for you?

Thanks,

Lena

17 minutes ago, lenarr said:

Thanks, Mike P. Ctrl-Alt-2 does nothing if the Notes panel is already open.

I don't understand this. What do you mean by "the notes panel". Alt+ctrl+2 will often not reset an existing search. In that case the easiest way I find is to go to home and then all notes. (alt+ctrl+1 followed by alt+ctrl+2)

17 minutes ago, lenarr said:

Actually, I just noticed that NONE of these Alt-Ctrl keyboard combinations is working for me, not even Open Home. I'm running the version that installed today. Do any work for you?

All but alt+ctrl+4 work for me. This one has never worked for me. All of them can be edited so you could try a different combination of keys in case there is a conflict with another app or the operating system. That is the case for me with alt+ctrl+4 (Euro symbol) but as I don't use the shortcut that is not an issue for me.

34 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I don't understand this. What do you mean by "the notes panel". Alt+ctrl+2 will often not reset an existing search. In that case the easiest way I find is to go to home and then all notes. (alt+ctrl+1 followed by alt+ctrl+2)

All but alt+ctrl+4 work for me. This one has never worked for me. All of them can be edited so you could try a different combination of keys in case there is a conflict with another app or the operating system. That is the case for me with alt+ctrl+4 (Euro symbol) but as I don't use the shortcut that is not an issue for me.

I want to move the cursor from whatever notebook I'm in to [All] Notes, so that I can eliminate the default search notebook and my having to click on Everywhere in the search dialogue.

None of these keyboard shortcuts work. I changed the shortcut associated with Open Notes and it didn't cut it.

I hate having to stop typing and clicking each time I do something. I find myself needing to click all the time.

Thanks for trying. I feel that Evernote for Windows is just glitchy. I should be able to navigate the search box with keys. If that worked I wouldn't be trying to work around that.

• Level 5

The setting of the notebook in search if you are working in a specific notebook was introduced on user demand.

Initially v10 did exactly as you wish: Every search started without notebook selection, a notebook needed to be added manually.

I think the current solution is more natural and useful, as obviously did all the users who demanded this change back then (sometime in 2021, if I remember correctly). And EN followed the users demand …

22 minutes ago, lenarr said:

I want to move the cursor from whatever notebook I'm in to [All] Notes, so that I can eliminate the default search notebook and my having to click on Everywhere in the search dialogue.

Well that is exactly what alt+ctrl+2 does for me. Just so that we are crystal clear the note list goes from:

image.png.fc026eee4da589c91ed5d211924996e3.png

to

image.png.7f367ec550da59e1de69211529b99c8a.png

Notice 3 notes in @inbox to 6469 notes in (All) Notes

This really shouldn't be necessary but A possible workaround is to do the following:

• Go to Notes with the mouse
  • type * in the search bar and hit enter
  • Save the search and include it in shortcuts 🢀 This is basically "All notes" by another route
  • If necessary drag the shortcut to the top of the shortcuts list

Now whenever you hit ctrl+1 that search will be run and you will get all notes. You can then just add your search term.

Now you are going to tell me that ctrl+1 (or ctrl+2 etc upto 9) doesn't invoke the appropriate shortcut!!

Pink Elephant, I can appreciate the default being searching the notebook that's open. What I don't like is having to grab the mouse to change that to Search Everywhere whenever I'm searching for a note elsewhere, which is most of the time. 

Thanks Mike P, for working with me. The screenshot you sent was exactly what I was trying to accomplish You wrote,

"Now you are going to tell me that ctrl+1 (or ctrl+2 etc upto 9) doesn't invoke the appropriate shortcut!!" was exactly what I'd said earlier in this thread, LOL.

But, mystery solved. I opened the Task Manager and closed every process associated with Evernote. Rebooted Evernote and it still doesn't work. Then I figured it out:

Alt-Ctrl-2 (and all the others Alt-Ctrl-digit) needs to be invoked with the numerical keys below the F keys, not with the number keys on the numerical pad, even using NumLock. That's what I get for being a dinossaur who still works on Windows with a full keyboard.

Uff. Thanks for your help!!!

Lena

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, lenarr said:

Alt-Ctrl-2 (and all the others Alt-Ctrl-digit) needs to be invoked with the numerical keys below the F keys, not with the number keys on the numerical pad, even using NumLock.

Great problem solving. I didn't know that either so we've both learned something!

For windows:
In general evernote has problems with some shortcuts that involve the Ctrl key. Personally, I am assigned to "open all notes" with the key combination: Alt+2 and "Search in evernote" with the key combination Ctrl + Shift + F

Now to solve your problem you can do the following:
1. Open "search in evernote" (in my case Ctrl + Shift + F)
2. Now press the key combination that shows all the notes (in my case Alt+2).
3. Evernote will implicitly search everywhere, regardless of whether it was in a notebook.

Video demostration:

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, carlosgm said:

Now to solve your problem you can do the following:
1. Open "search in evernote" (in my case Ctrl + Shift + F)
2. Now press the key combination that shows all the notes (in my case Alt+2).
3. Evernote will implicitly search everywhere, regardless of whether it was in a notebook.

OK useful to know that you can open the search and then go to all notes as well as goiung to all notes and then opening search.