How to best search for reminders in v10?

I'm not clear on the best way to search for notes that have reminders in v10. Hoping the community can help me find what I'm missing – because I'm not finding it easy.

I'm aware that "reminders" is a filter available in the middle note panel. But that option doesn't appear unless you've already done a search in the primary search box (option shown here):

image.thumb.png.28fc5663e3f3d699dfc748fe65b42925.png

But, how do I search for notes for reminders as my first search option? If I type in "reminders" (which seems intuitive to me), it's only presenting me with text based search results (not a filter as I am looking for).

image.png.3c3a3ed9fb2237fe04ce4d4adfcb25b5.png

And, as already stated, if I don't have a primary search already defined in the search box, I don't have the option to filter in the 2ndary search box by filter:

image.thumb.png.bfe5f9296333d131577fafca976271b8.png

What am I missing? Can someone help me understand how to do a primary search by reminder status? I must be missing something easy (hoping). Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stacey said:

I'm aware that "reminders" is a filter available in the middle note panel. But that option doesn't appear unless you've already done a search in the primary search box (option shown here):

That's really weird. I don't use reminders that much so I hadn't spotted that. My hack (in another thread) of searching for * first and then filtering seems to work here as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*

Using the direct search syntax; search for reminders      reminderOrder:*   
Two other searchable items are      reminderTime and reminderDoneTime   
My current task list is generated by saved search    
reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Stacey said:

Thinking about it some more I suppose EN would say that the reminders tab is the filter for reminders in whatever list is being displayed. That only comes into play if there are reminders which presumably explains why it is visible in your last screenshot but not in the first.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Using the direct search syntax; search for reminders      reminderOrder:*   
Two other searchable items are      reminderTime and reminderDoneTime   
My current task list is generated by saved search    
reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*  

Super helpful @DTLow...thank you. That gets the desired result. 

I do hope that Evernote is listening to this though...the reason this came up is because I had a customer simply ask me "How do I find a list of all my reminders?".  I think that is a really reasonable search request. I'd like to see this search syntax feature work it's way into a more intuitive primary search option. If Evernote is going to enforce use of the search box as the source of all searches, then there should be a way to search "all notes" (vs needing to know to use the * which requires a certain level of detailed Evernote knowledge, and also isn't available as an option in the keyboard shortcuts). Alternatively (and to me very intuitive) Evernote could add the "Reminders" filter to the note list filter options and not require a primary search first. This is how I'm observing users naturally want to work/find in v10. 

5 hours ago, Stacey said:

I had a customer simply ask me "How do I find a list of all my reminders?".  I think that is a really reasonable search request. 

@Stacey If that is the main question, you can get to them through "All Notes"... then click on the reminders tab.  However, I have a number of saved searches that filter for different sets of reminders... just keep in mind that with Evernote v10, you can't sort saved results by the reminder date (yet).

Here are my saved searches for reminders:

Reminder Due Through Today: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* -reminderTime:day+1
Reminder Due Today Only: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+1
Reminder Due Tomorrow Only: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* reminderTime:day+1 -reminderTime:day+2
Reminder Due Two Days Forward Only: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* reminderTime:day+2 -reminderTime:day+3
Reminders Past Due (Excluding Today): reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* -reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+1
Reminders Due Thru the Next 5 Days: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* -reminderTime:day+5

Also, I am a big user of titles as my main method of finding notes (mainly driven by one of your blog posts I read a few years ago)... therefore, I am always searching for notes that (a) have a reminder and (b) have specific words in the title.  Therefore, I set up a text replacement through the settings on my iPhone, which also works on iPad and MacOS, where anytime I type "evnrt" (abbreviation for "evernote reminder title") it expands to this:

reminderOrder:* intitle: 

Then I just add the keyword I am looking for and it finds the notes with that in the title that also have a reminder. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
28 minutes ago, aukirk said:

If that is the main question, you can get to them through "All Notes"... then click on the reminders tab. 

@aukirk Of course! 🤦‍♀️ Thanks for the reminder – and simplest of solutions. It think what threw me is that my customer actually asked me what the best way to search for all notes with reminders is. And, as you point out, it isn't through search at all! 

And, thank you also for sharing your more detailed approach to your saved searches...that's outstanding! And, for sure note naming conventions will help immensely here. Appreciate your comment.

• Thanks 1

Hi, I liked to work with reminders because Evernote provided some good functions for it. But in a new version of Evernote for Android and IOS reminders don‘t work like that and it causes two problems for me:

1. In Reminder View reminders were sorted by due date showing me all overdue reminders and these in the near future at the top of the list. This gave me good orientation in my tasks. Now there is no such possibility to sort reminders by due date. I can only sort them by creation or edit date or title. Even in all reminders search lists you cannot sort the result by due date. It makes no sense for me.

2. I often used reminders with no due date set just to have them in the list for further decision. I didn‘t find how I can search for such reminders with no due date set or how I can exclude them when searching generally for reminders. 

Maybe somebody here have some ideas how to solve this problem. 

Thanks Kris

• Level 5*

If one is a user of reminders saved searches or shortcuts are good places to store oft used searches.  My preference being saved searches (all preceded by ! to sort them to the top.  FWIW.  As it looks in 6.25.1, similar in V10.

ScreenClip.png.6ab2db831c310efc4678e8d61db57f0e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 5/21/2021 at 11:56 PM, aukirk said:

Here are my saved searches for reminders:

Reminder Due Through Today: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* -reminderTime:day+1
Reminder Due Today Only: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+1
Reminder Due Tomorrow Only: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* reminderTime:day+1 -reminderTime:day+2
Reminder Due Two Days Forward Only: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* reminderTime:day+2 -reminderTime:day+3
Reminders Past Due (Excluding Today): reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* -reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+1
Reminders Due Thru the Next 5 Days: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* -reminderTime:day+5

@aukirk,

Thanks for your tips ! But could you tell us where you find these informations ? because I would like to understand exactly what is the meaning of "remindOrder:*" and what other value could be used (if any).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 9:17 AM, GVN79 said:

@aukirk,

Thanks for your tips ! But could you tell us where you find these informations ? because I would like to understand exactly what is the meaning of "remindOrder:*" and what other value could be used (if any).

Unfortunately, it took a lot of testing and trial/error to figure out these saved searches for reminders... but it was all based on the Evernote help file for advanced search syntax:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-Use-advanced-search-syntax

• 1 year later...

I had trouble finding a reminder that was flagged for me today. Some suggestions in this thread helped, also a hardcoded search gives reminders due in a range of dates, e.g. reminderTime:20231203 -reminderTime:20231207, but I think there should be an easy option, with the chance to sort on reminder date, for those of us who use lots of undated reminders to pin our notes (yes I would like a Pin option too!).