Time to remove the limit of max. 50 notes selected yet?

• Level 5

Maybe better grab this, put it into a safe place, easy to find (like an EN note).

My change in the config-file did not survive the update to 10.7.6. No big deal, but one needs to reset this more often now since EN is rolling out new releases every month or so.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Your (agsteele) suggestion does not seem to work in version 10.17.6. 
The "qa" section is empty. 
Adding "multiSelectionLimit": 1000 between the brackets { } has no effect.

What could I have overlooked while following your instructions?

• Evernote Expert
On 7/21/2021 at 10:21 PM, PitakM said:

Your (agsteele) suggestion does not seem to work in version 10.17.6. 
The "qa" section is empty. 
Adding "multiSelectionLimit": 1000 between the brackets { } has no effect.

What could I have overlooked while following your instructions?

@PitakM I just did multi-note action on 400 notes without any problem. So my guess is that you got the syntax wrong in the json file.  This is what my qa section looks like.

The reason for the 50 note limit is technical. The new version of Evernote does not have a local database so each note needs to be processed inidvidually with the cloud.  The legacy version made all the changes locally which were then synchronised.  Enabling limits over 50 allow the users to do more but it takes over their application for as long as the process takes.  1,000 notes take a long time to process a change.  So I'd advise only changing the limit if it is essential for you.

"qa": {
    "multiSelectionLimit": 500
  }

You should make the change after Quitting the program then restart with the amended config.json

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 2/7/2021 at 2:05 AM, agsteele said:

My understanding is that the setting is at 50 notes to maintain reasonable performance on older, or less speedy, PCs.

It is quite easy to increase the limit to up to 1,000 notes.

• Quit Evernote 10
  • Access the data directory at %AppData%\Evernote
  • Open the config.json file in a text editor such as Notepad.
  • In the "qa" section locate the line which reads: "multiSelectionLimit": 50
  • Change that to the number of notes you wish to allow.  There is alimit of about 1,000 maximum so there's no benefit in going for a larger number.  I have it set at 500.
  • Save the amended file and restart Evernote 10.

If, in the future, for any reason, you uninstall and reinstall then you'll need to edit the config.json afresh.  The changes seem to survive an update.

This setting should be something configurable inside Evernote but it isn't yet the case.

I tried this just now in v10.49.4 for Windows and, regardless of the setting in the config file, I get 128 notes selected when I try a 'select all' :(

• Evernote Expert

I confess that I've never tried to "Select All". I find a selection of notes that I need to work with that area fewer than the maximum number set in the config file. (In my case 500) Click on the first note and Shift click on the last note. All are then selected.

• Like 1

I had used a search to filter 500 notes I wanted to move to a different notebook, but it didn't occur to me that the 128 notes might be a limitation of [CTRL] [A] rather than note selection per se.

I'll give it a try.

• Level 5

A hint to speed up multi selection operations: Go offline before you make the action. EN works down selections sequentially, and tries to sync each one before moving on. My experience is that when offline, it just stores to local, which is faster.

Go back online after, and remember it now needs to sync all changes first. Keep the client running for a while, don’t touch the same notes on any other device meanwhile.

• Like 1

Just to add my experience in case anyone is missing the noteslimit-entry in the config.json file:

In my fresh 10.49.4 windows installation there even was no entry for notes limit in the quoted config.json file. Nonetheless, I got the 50 notes-limit as well. They somehow defaulted the app to 50 notes. But when I just copied the line from @agsteele's posting into the json-file ... voilà, the limit is now raised to 500 which should be enough in most cases 🙂 . Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The observation is true - in the first releases of v10 there had been that entry. It was later removed, but the limit prevailed.

It seems when the parameter is added to the json-file, it still overrides whatever other setting there may be to set the 50 Notes limit.

• Level 5

In another thread related to bulk-deletion of completed tasks, I came across this authoritative (but year-old) explanation of the origins of the 50 limit, and an indication of what is involved in removing it. The issue has to do with performance problems in bulk actions generally.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The issue has to do with performance problems in bulk actions generally.

And that was before they had the "Bulk actions progress bar" (link below) so you couldn't see that Evernote was actually doing something (albeit slower than legacy). So doing an operation on more than 50 notes could seem like the program just froze.

From https://evernote.com/blog/q3-2022-roundup/

• image.png.58e82671d131042702cba3b51e27793f.png

So I wonder if, because of the introduction now of the progress bar, if there couldn't be an increase to that 50 limit -- like a user-defined preference that wasn't hidden in some obscure config file.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
11 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

So I wonder if, because of the introduction now of the progress bar, if there couldn't be an increase to that 50 limit -- like a user-defined preference that wasn't hidden in some obscure config file.

I'm sure that there COULD be but I don't think that there will be. Performing a re-tag, for example, on 1,000 notes would take forever at the present unless you went offline first which is almost as obscure as editing the config.json.  This is one of the things that will require the promised improvements to sync.

• Level 5

EN v10 uns multi note actions by looping through a single note action multiple times. This means it tris to sync every single note o the cloud server, before it will start working on the next one. This causes delay, in some cases a pretty long delay. I think the 50 notes limit is in place to avoid an EN client to get blocked by a user action cycling through a very high number of notes.

I don’t think the limit will be raised or lifted any time soon.

To speed up things, going offline before tackling a large number of notes is still the probably best strategy. One should just remember that all of these changes are not yet synced to the server. So after going back online, notes touched by the multi note action should not be touched, especially not on any other device. Only after the changes have been synced to the server, it is safe again to open and modify one of these notes.

• Level 5

On the Web client, I just got updated to v. 10.50.9, and there you can now select up to 100 notes. Progress is being made; no doubt coming to a Windows desktop app near you soon. Other improvements:

• Add links to other notes from Insert menu or keyboard shortcut Cmd+Opt+K / Ctrl+Alt+K.
  • Option to view note links as preview of contents, text link, or note title.
  • Select different default views for links and various kinds of attachments in the Settings menu.
  • Like 2
  • 9 months later...

I use the function in the legacy version once a week to create a list of entries in a notebook of 200-350 entries!!
That's why I'm urgently looking for a solution before I can switch to the current version.

I just tried to expand the config.json to 350 by editing it, as described above.
Unfortunately it didn't work in Evernote V 10.62.5!

Is there another solution to copy only the approximately 300 headers of the copied notes into a list with the corresponding internal LINKS???