Using "Copy" on an image doesn't copy it in the clipboard

50 minutes ago, Milincho said:

Using "Copy" on an image doesn't copy it in the clipboard. It works ok in the legacy version, but not on the 10+ version...

Agreed. It is ridiculous that this doesn't work and has been raised throughout the preview, beta and now release stages. The only workaround is to download the image and then insert it where you want it or to drag it to the desktop and then from the desktop to the target document.

• Like 3

Same here. I right click on the image in Evernote and select "Copy" and it doesn't go to the clipboard.

To reproduce it, I copied some text in an Evernote note, pasted it into Word, no problem. Then I copied an image from the same note, and pasted into Word and the text that I had just pasted was pasted again. The image never goes to the clipboard. You can also reproduce this by just highlighting an entire note, including all words and images, copy it, then paste into Word. The images don't go.

Extremely frustrating, as this is something I need to do a lot. The only workaround I can come up with is doing a screenshot of the note, then paste into Paint or any image editing app, crop it, then copy and paste from there. WAY too many steps, and of course that's just not the original image.

Version: 10.6.9-win-ddl-public (2254)

12 hours ago, deyo246 said:

funny thing is, tried to copy/paste some pictures from the v10 client (up to date) to a note in Evernote web in chrome - worked!

pasting same pictures in word gives a blank picture

The problem is it doesn't Copy anything to the Windows Clipboard, as it should, as the old Evernote did, and as Evernote Legacy still DOES:

qvB5YFH.png

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Milincho said:

This is still a problem in 10.8.5...    how long is it gonna take to fix it?  years, like the "disable spell check" option? 

Possibly not years but, like the spell check thing, it could be months.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:40 AM, agsteele said:

Possibly not years but, like the spell check thing, it could be months.

Sure is such a difficult issue to fix that's gonna require a very long time to investigate and debug.

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, Milincho said:

New 10.9.10 version released and still the exact same problem. 🤦‍♂️

Could anybody from EN team acknowledge the problem at least?

Same issue on macOS, FWIW. Another user has posted a couple of technical support responses related to reporting this issue, so it appears to be a known issue since at least January:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Ex Employees

Thanks for these posts. We do not yet have an ETA on when copying images will return to the windows desktop app. I will post an update here when I receive one. Thank you for your patience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
11 minutes ago, Austin G said:

Thanks for these posts. We do not yet have an ETA on when copying images will return to the windows desktop app. I will post an update here when I receive one. Thank you for your patience. 

I can't understand how such a basic and useful feature was *removed* from a software that had it since many years ago...    and how can something as basic as putting an image in the windows clipboard, which any software does, can take *months*.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
13 hours ago, Milincho said:

I can't understand how such a basic and useful feature was *removed* from a software that had it since many years ago...    and how can something as basic as putting an image in the windows clipboard, which any software does, can take *months*.

It doesn't take months if that is the only thing you have to focus on. But there are dozens of niggly 'basic' issues that need attention. They all interconnect and each person affected thinks it is the most important issue that should only take a moment to fix. This issue is even more frustrating in that the images can be copied to a directory on the computer eg you can drag and drop the image to the desktop. The problem is the extra step into a third party application. I can describe what needs to be done in a couple of seconds. It would take me forever to work out the fix.

For now I either work with the legacy program which does everything it ever did or I workaround this using the desktop as a temporary staging post for images I need to copy to another application.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 7:54 PM, Austin G said:

More than three months later...

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Copying edited images to a clipboard and then inserting them into a Word document is literally all I use Evernote for. I just downloaded this version because the older version was repeatedly freezing, and I'm now EXTREMELY frustrated that I'm going to have to create an elaborate and unwieldy workaround to do a task that literally used to take seconds. I've used Evernote for years but am not sure if I can continue with this version at all.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 8:32 PM, PinkElephant said:

Copy to the desktop, then from there to Word.

Not ideal, but a working solution.

What do you mean by "copy  to desktop", Evernote is NOT putting the image on  the clipboard, so there is nothing to copy.

This is what Evernote puts in the windows clipboard when you click "Copy"

image.png.05f68db04f049434e42e66c1cc2a71e4.png
image.png.285cf97ee8e4bbea5e316572456bf5a4.png

• Level 5

To be precise, drag & drop it to the desktop.

It works with some apps to d&d it directly, for others not. For those where it does not work, d&d to the desktop, then d&d from there into the app.

It is a workaround, use it or forget it. 

And the correct word is "Thank you" if another user tries to help you out of a problem.

• Like 1
On 8/26/2021 at 2:43 AM, PinkElephant said:

To be precise, drag & drop it to the desktop.

It works with some apps to d&d it directly, for others not. For those where it does not work, d&d to the desktop, then d&d from there into the app.

It is a workaround, use it or forget it. 

And the correct word is "Thank you" if another user tries to help you out of a problem.

Cool, many thanks!

• Like 1

Why is it that a feature that worked just fine on a previous version just can't be fixed in the current one?  Users are forced to try to use inconvenient workarounds to compensate for less functionality in a program for which we're being told to pay more.

So let me get this straight:

1. We can no longer cut and then paste elsewhere, either a photo or selected text from an Evernote note.

2. From time to time, all notes, from one or several notebooks, suddenly go blank.  "Luckily" the notes are not lost, and can be retrieved by closing Evernote, closing all Evernote-related processes using Windows Task Manager, then clicking the Evernote icon once or twice in the taskbar, then right-clicking the icon in the taskbar and then left-clicking open.  Such a nice workaround.

3. From time to time, but way too often, Evernote displays a "cannot load" error message, forcing restart, even though memory usage is 30% and processor usage is 6-10%.

4. And no fixes from Evernote tech support or management - threads continue for years.  Every so often, an "official" Evernote person says "problem fixed" - that note only to be followed by one that says "no it's not."

• Level 5
24 minutes ago, Al Padilla said:

So let me get this straight:

1. We can no longer cut and then paste elsewhere, either a photo or selected text from an Evernote note.

As the thread is correctly titled, there is a problem with copy & paste of pictures. This is described, workarounds communicated, waiting for a fix.

It is wrong that the same would be true for text. Text can be copied, cut, pasted, even drag & dropped.

IMHO you should first TRY if your opinion about how the product works is covered by FACT.

Because since you obviously don't try (this is not the only post in which you describe problems that don't exist), you are posting factual nonsense in the forum, for others to read and maybe act on it. I am not discussing your opinions (that make me wonder what you are doing here, just BTW), I am writing about false problem descriptions.

So please do your homework before contributing to the forum.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm with version  10.23.7 for Windows I'm able to copy some images, to the clipboard and in turn to other applications. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind which ones I'm able to copy to the clipboard. Drag and drop still doesn't work from the Windows client.

2 hours ago, Milincho said:

Aaaand...    it doesn't work again in 10.24...    🤦‍♂️   just WTF...

Still seems to be working for me. @Daveytdid note some variability above but so far I have not had any issues.

10.24.3-win-ddl-public (3041)
Editor: v134.0.17043
Service: v1.41.4
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

This has been a cluster for over a year. The only solution I have is to Snip the image from the EN then paste where I want it. But such a pain. I have "instructional" email templates I store in EN and every time I cut and paste, I have to manually Snip and Paste the images into the email. With this much time passed and so many other updates, most of which I could care less about, I've concluded they just don't think this is an issue and do not plan to every fix the issue.

• Level 5

This came with the 10.23 release, and is still on the current 10.24 release:

• We made some changes to the way the app handles dragging-and-dropping and copying-and-pasting files between apps. Because it's important to play well with others.

Works for me since the same release on the Mac.

To work around it, it usually worked to drag any file to the desktop, drop it there briefly, pick it up again and drop it at the destination. Worked both in and out of EN. But as I said and others commented, not necessary any longer if you run the latest release.

If it does not seem to stick, log out of EN and restart the PC once.

Ok, so I've done some playing about. I can consistently drag and drop to the desktop but drag and drop to Word doesn't work. Copy and paste seems to depend on the size of the image. I have a lot of full screen 1080 snips that I use for notes, user manuals etc, copying these into another application doesn't work yet any smaller images copy and paste just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert

@Daveyt Drag and drop does not seem to be working in Windows but right click on the image, copy and then paste does work of passing into Office 365 applications. Copy & paste is unreliable with other applications. So I can copy & paste into Word but not into Photoshop. Many other users have a similar experience on Windows. I think Mac users have fewer issues.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No issue on the Mac - since the latest releases it really works fine to drag & drop right between applications. Up to now I have not found an app that is not working - unless the app itself can't handle the format of what is dropped.

If the app for example just handles pictures, dropping a text on it will not cause anything to happen. But that's OK for me.

Hope they really get this sorted out on Windows now as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert

I raised a ticket for the issues with Drag and Drop on Windows desktop. I got the following reply confirming that it is an issue that is being investigated...

The issues you're having with copy/paste as well as drag/drop have the same root cause and our engineering team has identified this as a top priority for us to resolve. I'm going to check in with them regarding this, but I do know that they're actively working to address all of the use cases that are interrupted by the root cause issue here.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

This is another workaround at least for MAC users.  

1) Create an Evernote shareable link by adding another email as a shareable Note user which creates a Note shareable link.

2) Copy the link into your browser;  I used my MAC Safari

3) Now only use your browser commands;  (i.e. do not use the Evernote commands)

4) Browser  - Select All

5) Browser - Copy

6) Open my Word Document  - Paste

The only issues so far is that if I used Evernote to reduce the size of the images they reverted back to normal size in the word doc.

Good luck and if someone improves this hack please post !

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No hack needed: After selecting a picture in EN and opening Pages on my Mac, all options work: cmd-C/cmd-V and Drag&Drop both place a copy of the picture into the document. I tried with a PNG file saved in EN, and a standard Pages document. EN 10.28, MacOS Monterey 12.1.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert

It is one of those issues that has been fixed and then failed again. I believe that there is a beta running at the moment which may see some improvements. Certainly staff report that this issue in Windows does have attention.

• Level 5

I do not have users - I am a user …

Posting in the forum just to vent emotions does IMHO not contribute. Other users read it - can they draw anything for themselves from it ?

If you want to reach EN staff, use the feedback function build into the clients (no answer) or contact support.

Bringing focus to unsolved issues, specially if by many users, DO contribute.
Contacting EN staff so far has been the most useless approach: 

they didn't even acknowledge the problem and just shut it down with a "sorry, we can't reproduce the issue", when any other user do. 

It's not about venting frustration, which is also legit, but bringing focus to an essential issue that they don't seem to give a flying ***** about after more than ONE YEAR.

What's so hard about copying an image to the Windows clipboard? a function it always worked without any problem in the old Evernote?
This is basic stuff, not rocket science. It's not like they have to ***** raytrace it to the STANDARD Windows clipboard.

• Level 5

Working for me ....

.... to get support tickets acknowledged and followed up, even with several loops and 2nd level support. This issue here should be a no-brainer even for support, since it simply does not work on Windows.

.... because I use a Mac. Initially it was the same as it still seems to be on Windows: Drag&Drop on the Desktop was the workaround. They fixed it appr. with 10.20 desktop. Working since on the Mac. So it seems not unsolvable on Windows.

.... better when factual information is not overlayed with a lot of emotional chitchat that does not help to solve anything. It makes it hard to read the posts, and to understand the focus of the discussion.

I agree, it should be a total no-brainer.
Check my other thread about the other issue, they didn't even acknowledged the issue, even when recording a clear video showing it and it's been confirmed by other users.

My post was TWO short sentences. First one was a very factual statement. Second one was a very justified opinion based on facts. I do not think that made it any "hard" to read the post, or understand the focus of the discussion.

• Level 5

In a former life I was responsible to run a support team. I told them as one change that it is forbidden to tell a customer that „We do not know this problem“. 

Not when it was true, because it closed the discussion with the customer, instead of learning more. And especially not when it was wrong, because it simply made the support look incompetent or dishonest.

Maybe I could give a lecture …

But still, no need in the forum to discuss as anybody of us fellow users would do the same thing.

• 1 month later...

A whole year and 2 months later with many many new versions released, this problem is still NOT fixed. 🤦‍♂️

This is a BASIC feature, that worked since many years ago in the old Evernote. What does it take for the Evernote team to care?

• Evernote Expert

It was fixed but then broke again. It has been acknowledged.

None of us can answer your question about the Evernote team caring. I can see that asking the question airs your frustration but you won't get an answer.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Jostar said:

copy still not working in 10 55 2 win ddl public 

Not my experience. I agree that drag and drop doesn't work, but I have no difficulty copying and pasting an image from EN to Word for example. I can right click an image and choose copy or select the image and use ctrl+C.

Perhaps you can provide some more information about the image format, how you are copying and what you are copying to.

10.55.2-win-ddl-public (4019)
Editor: v167.2.20810
Service: v1.67.2
© 2019 - 2023 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• 4 months later...
On 1/16/2022 at 2:09 PM, Marriot04 said:

This is another workaround at least for MAC users.  

1) Create an Evernote shareable link by adding another email as a shareable Note user which creates a Note shareable link.

2) Copy the link into your browser;  I used my MAC Safari

3) Now only use your browser commands;  (i.e. do not use the Evernote commands)

4) Browser  - Select All

5) Browser - Copy

6) Open my Word Document  - Paste

The only issues so far is that if I used Evernote to reduce the size of the images they reverted back to normal size in the word doc.

Good luck and if someone improves this hack please post !

This seems to be the only way to for me that works right now.  I am so glad I am moving off this platform.  I only have a few hundred notes left out of my 1000 plus and then I am done with Evernote.

Using Mac Version 10.62.2 mac ddl public 20230919180646

• Level 5

Works for me, no issues. Richt click - copy - paste (to the desktop, for example). Drag&Drop works as well, as it does with all apps. Ventura 13.5.2, EN 10.62.2, direct download.

Make sure EN has all rights granted in MacOS settings, especially on the Security and Privacy pages.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Works for me, no issues. Richt click - copy - paste (to the desktop, for example). Drag&Drop works as well, as it does with all apps. Ventura 13.5.2, EN 10.62.2, direct download.

Make sure EN has all rights granted in MacOS settings, especially on the Security and Privacy pages.

I can do text... which works fine, but the images are a different story.  The ones that are from say a website that was clipped, do not come out.  If I created the note with a picture, I can get that picture out no problem.  I know immediately if the picture will come out as it will show the EN Logo, versus the +- and highlight around the image.  So I don't know if something was done/converted when I clipped a page.

I also noticed those that were from a clipped page, when I open them in Preview, and go to "Save As" the default name is JPEG.PNG so something happened during the clipping which is preventing my notes that were done this way from being copied.

I have tried this with Notes, Pages, and MS Word.  Same deal with all of them.

12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The clipped websites are wrapped into a container. Try to simplify the clip first (which will remove most formatting as well), then copy the picture.

As far as I can tell, the container (HTML), I do-do that... however that too doesn't work.  It still puts a highlighted square around the image and I get the + or - sign. If I created the note with my pictures or added the pictures in manually from the beginning, those I have no issues with.  It is the ones where I clipped something.  Which I have a lot of.  See screen shot.  This may help others down the road.

Either way, I am down to my last few notes. 

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 10.23.19 AM.png