Evernote missing from share menu?

ZackE

Idea

• Level 5

Are you asking for Share to EN on the Mac, or on iOS ?

On iOS it should be there. If not it was reported that shutting down the app and then switching off the whole I-device made the share option come back when it was switched on again. Not uninstalling the app, just rebooting the iPhone / iPad. Maybe you have to pull it from the 3-dots/„More“ area of the sharing option, but it should be there.

On the Mac the only workaround I know is to install the legacy client. Sharing there is possible if enabled in the Macs settings.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

I have found a really good solution using an app call KEEP IT (not google keep).  It supports tags and folders, is native to mac, it is very very fast, and has more functionality than notes.  I am migrating my data and am very happy with it.

The inability to share photos from IOS iPad photos and add notes inside Evernote has ended our relationship after 7 years.  It used to work so well and didn't even know it wasn't working until I was ON LOCATION at a big event where we COUNT ON EVERNOTE. 

WHAT IS GOING ON?  Any suggestions for saving our relationship with Evernote (I am a premium member) to enable to share a photo on iPad and it open in evernote and allow us to add notes?😡

While I am glad to see Evernote's clients evolving and like the direction, the ability to share to Evernote is so substantial that I don't understand why it's being neglected for so long. All the other applications manage to implement this feature; it shouldn't be so hard for Evernote.

A long-time user who recently switched to Version 10 and also frustrated by this and considering alternatives .   Will now work out how to vote up this feature.

• Level 5

My alternative is more than simple: I run legacy and v10 side by side. The share option is available and sends content into legacy, as it always did. From there it is synced up to the server, and down again to all other EN clients.

Not brilliant, but working rock solid. It is one of the features I would really miss if I had only v10.

And sure, it is one of the features EN needs to add to v10 before I will consider to make a full switch over to the new client. I really like a lot about v10, but it is sometimes the basic stuff you can’t do without.

• Like 1
On 3/23/2021 at 9:29 AM, jmshrrsn said:

On my Mac, I just right click and choose Open with . . .  evernote.app

Seems to work ok, and is as effective as Share, when that worked. 

Untitled-1.jpg

I am missing share as well 😞 I just tried this alternate and it works fine albeit a little slow to see the note arrive in my desktop app. For me  this is better than running 2 versions of Evernot, which I am not sure my brain could handle! Thanks to both @jmshrrsn and to @PinkElephantfor suggesting alternatives while we wait for the share functionality in macOS to come back.

• Like 1
On 3/16/2021 at 2:58 PM, EvafromSussex said:

This is exactly why Apple kicked Evernote out from it's share menu, to create the reaction just like yours and nudge you in a "right" direction. Oh, and Apple also restricted Evernote  functionality further in multiple ways. You are rewarding monopoly power for unfair anti-competition practices. 

Just ask yourself: once in Apple ecosystem, (with default now being .heic media files)  will you be able to migrate out? or are you stuck in a one way funnel?

Actually, I rather hope that European Union will keep  beady eye at such sharp practices, because it seems nobody else is willing to.

How silly.....share works in legacy version.......so if apple want to nudge people as you put it ( how is the tin foil hat by the way?) then why haven't they broken it in that version? Evernote needs to fix this stupidity.

• Like 1

I just installed Evernote Legacy for the sake of Share.  Have been using the Open With method.  Find the Share method more intuitive and easier.

I use Share to add a pdf via Evernote Legacy, I got the error "Couldn't display this PDF file".  I add the same pdf via Open With Evernote v10.  The pdf file is display properly.  Do you guys face this problem?

• Level 5

Even if legacy had a problem, it would not be fixed. Legacy is end of life.

And we guys around here are other users. To bring something to the attention of EN issue a support ticket.

I installed Legacy simply for the sake of using Share.  Since it is not working well, consistently, I will uninstall it.  Have to just stick to the Evernote v10 Open With and hoping that they bring Share to it soon.

No point open a support ticket.  Don't think they will do anything to Evernote Legacy.

Just sharing, in case, they are people hoping Evernote Legacy can Share.  Just be aware there might be problem, like what I faced.

• Level 5

Personally I would prefer to share directly into v10 as well. However I have not yet noticed any problem by using legacy as a workaround. Not with sharing, not with the helper (Mac). Since it works, I have no idea what may prevent it from doing so in your case. If on a Mac with one of the newer MacOS versions, I would probably check the security & privacy settings.

The problem is it is not consistent.  If all are not ok, then it will be very likely MacOS settings.  Some pdf are ok, some are not.  

So, to trouble shoot on a sunsetting Evernote Legacy, I rather save time by uninstalling it and adapt to Evernote v10 Open With, until Share is available.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

As posted in the forum already, if there is a problem with EN on the Mac after updating, restart the Mac, to make it stop all existing processes, clean memory and allow all apps a fresh start.

And if the ship would be sinking, everybody who helps you getting off should be welcome. Just once in the water watch out for the sharks …

I have found a very good alternative.  It is called Keep It (not Keep - it is a different app).  I works beautifully - it is very fast, clean, works natively on the mac, has folders and tags, everything.  The only caveat is that it is for apple only.  If you need cross platform it is not great, otherwise I recommend it highly.

I never used 'share to Evernote' very much, but when I did it was convenient that it was there, along with 'share to notes', 'share to OneNote' etc. That it isn't there any longer is just another minor irritation of which there are too many with EN.

No, I don't want a workaround, I want the software I pay money to use to integrate with my OS so I'm not constantly breaking my workflow to figure out what's wrong this time.

• Level 5

You get what you get what you get.

You just need to read the forum a little to see that v10 messed up many workflows. On the other hand they enter new features that have not been available in the older versions.

One may even argue that as long as there is legacy, you still get what you paid for.

As I see it, the changes introduced with v10 are there to stay. When your renewal is up, you take a new decision. If you want to leave, you should start right away. Finding, testing and moving is not done in a blink.