Evernote missing from share menu?

ZackE

Idea

I am just swapping over to apple notes now. it seems It would actually save a lot of time, so funny as started using en 12 yrs ago to save time as amass note taker. I had fallen  into the habit of defaulting to that little green elephant to do stuff. V10 literally took all that stuff away so you are actually flogging a dead horse here, sorry elephant. After counting to ten, taking a few deep breaths I have had a premonition...... it seems to me that all the waiting, regressing, reverting, reformating, waiting, manual syncing, trying out stupid 'whats new' pop ups, testing workarounds, troubleshooting with the community, screaming, yelling, smashing stuff..... that the new V10 update is just a lot more energy in than value out. Going back to notes on ios to capture on the go and clipping to mac os notes with a service  created in automator to simplify the note taking workflow and i am struggling to think what i will miss. I already exported the 12yrs of notes a while back as I had a feeling this was coming. I was once a slave to en but now im free. Freedom!!!!!!

On 3/8/2021 at 3:00 PM, AndreT said:

I am just swapping over to apple notes now. it seems It would actually save a lot of time, so funny as started using en 12 yrs ago to save time as amass note taker. I had fallen  into the habit of defaulting to that little green elephant to do stuff. V10 literally took all that stuff away so you are actually flogging a dead horse here, sorry elephant. After counting to ten, taking a few deep breaths I have had a premonition...... it seems to me that all the waiting, regressing, reverting, reformating, waiting, manual syncing, trying out stupid 'whats new' pop ups, testing workarounds, troubleshooting with the community, screaming, yelling, smashing stuff..... that the new V10 update is just a lot more energy in than value out. Going back to notes on ios to capture on the go and clipping to mac os notes with a service  created in automator to simplify the note taking workflow and i am struggling to think what i will miss. I already exported the 12yrs of notes a while back as I had a feeling this was coming. I was once a slave to en but now im free. Freedom!!!!!!

Fully agree! Short question: how did you export your 12 years data from EN?

On 3/13/2021 at 4:47 PM, kristicarmen said:

This makes me crazy. I'd rather they just leave well enough alone. The upgrades are not worth the true hassle of losing something as integral to the users process as this.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:47 PM, kristicarmen said:

This makes me crazy. I'd rather they just leave well enough alone. The upgrades are not worth the true hassle of losing something as integral to the users process as this.

On 11/30/2020 at 8:20 PM, Robert J. Berger said:

This seems unbelievable that this is no longer supported.

A work around is you can still add Evernote as a Print To Option and then print as PDF to Evernote

In all fairness, I believe it is Apple's doing: they keep changing (restricting) access.

On 3/8/2021 at 2:00 PM, AndreT said:

This is exactly why Apple kicked Evernote out from it's share menu, to create the reaction just like yours and nudge you in a "right" direction. Oh, and Apple also restricted Evernote  functionality further in multiple ways. You are rewarding monopoly power for unfair anti-competition practices. 

Just ask yourself: once in Apple ecosystem, (with default now being .heic media files)  will you be able to migrate out? or are you stuck in a one way funnel?

Actually, I rather hope that European Union will keep  beady eye at such sharp practices, because it seems nobody else is willing to.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Well, that is your point of view. But let's have a look at the facts:

The sharing issue IMHO has to do with the EN app be embedded into a framework. Apple is not blocking it - sharing works on iOS, it is just not working on the Mac. I think EN needs to implement a fix.

HEIC is a universal standard, not an Apple plant. It was designed to replace JPG, which goes as far back in history as the floppy disk. Are you still using floppy disks ? But you are using an outdated picture standard !

HEIC was chosen by Apple because the format supports depth information, as needed for portrait mode or the ability to create and shift a software generated bokeh. This would not be possible with JPG. As long as photos are saved in HEIC, these aspects can be modified. Once it is converted to JPG, the properties are frozen and the additional picture information is lost.

One can argue about how Apple puts his users into a cocoon - but it is mainly a cocoon of very smooth functions on and between the different devices, not a classic lock in. You can always leave - if you are willing to pay the price of a reduced usability.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Are you asking for Share to EN on the Mac, or on iOS ?

On iOS it should be there. If not it was reported that shutting down the app and then switching off the whole I-device made the share option come back when it was switched on again. Not uninstalling the app, just rebooting the iPhone / iPad. Maybe you have to pull it from the 3-dots/„More“ area of the sharing option, but it should be there.

On the Mac the only workaround I know is to install the legacy client. Sharing there is possible if enabled in the Macs settings.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

I have found a really good solution using an app call KEEP IT (not google keep).  It supports tags and folders, is native to mac, it is very very fast, and has more functionality than notes.  I am migrating my data and am very happy with it.

The inability to share photos from IOS iPad photos and add notes inside Evernote has ended our relationship after 7 years.  It used to work so well and didn't even know it wasn't working until I was ON LOCATION at a big event where we COUNT ON EVERNOTE. 

WHAT IS GOING ON?  Any suggestions for saving our relationship with Evernote (I am a premium member) to enable to share a photo on iPad and it open in evernote and allow us to add notes?😡

• Like 1
  • Level 5

My alternative is more than simple: I run legacy and v10 side by side. The share option is available and sends content into legacy, as it always did. From there it is synced up to the server, and down again to all other EN clients.

Not brilliant, but working rock solid. It is one of the features I would really miss if I had only v10.

And sure, it is one of the features EN needs to add to v10 before I will consider to make a full switch over to the new client. I really like a lot about v10, but it is sometimes the basic stuff you can’t do without.

• Like 1
On 3/23/2021 at 9:29 AM, jmshrrsn said:

On my Mac, I just right click and choose Open with . . .  evernote.app

Seems to work ok, and is as effective as Share, when that worked. 

Untitled-1.jpg

I am missing share as well 😞 I just tried this alternate and it works fine albeit a little slow to see the note arrive in my desktop app. For me  this is better than running 2 versions of Evernot, which I am not sure my brain could handle! Thanks to both @jmshrrsn and to @PinkElephantfor suggesting alternatives while we wait for the share functionality in macOS to come back.

• Like 1

I use Share to add a pdf via Evernote Legacy, I got the error "Couldn't display this PDF file".  I add the same pdf via Open With Evernote v10.  The pdf file is display properly.  Do you guys face this problem?

I installed Legacy simply for the sake of using Share.  Since it is not working well, consistently, I will uninstall it.  Have to just stick to the Evernote v10 Open With and hoping that they bring Share to it soon.

No point open a support ticket.  Don't think they will do anything to Evernote Legacy.

Just sharing, in case, they are people hoping Evernote Legacy can Share.  Just be aware there might be problem, like what I faced.

• Level 5

Personally I would prefer to share directly into v10 as well. However I have not yet noticed any problem by using legacy as a workaround. Not with sharing, not with the helper (Mac). Since it works, I have no idea what may prevent it from doing so in your case. If on a Mac with one of the newer MacOS versions, I would probably check the security & privacy settings.

The problem is it is not consistent.  If all are not ok, then it will be very likely MacOS settings.  Some pdf are ok, some are not.  

So, to trouble shoot on a sunsetting Evernote Legacy, I rather save time by uninstalling it and adapt to Evernote v10 Open With, until Share is available.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

As posted in the forum already, if there is a problem with EN on the Mac after updating, restart the Mac, to make it stop all existing processes, clean memory and allow all apps a fresh start.

And if the ship would be sinking, everybody who helps you getting off should be welcome. Just once in the water watch out for the sharks …

I have found a very good alternative.  It is called Keep It (not Keep - it is a different app).  I works beautifully - it is very fast, clean, works natively on the mac, has folders and tags, everything.  The only caveat is that it is for apple only.  If you need cross platform it is not great, otherwise I recommend it highly.

I never used 'share to Evernote' very much, but when I did it was convenient that it was there, along with 'share to notes', 'share to OneNote' etc. That it isn't there any longer is just another minor irritation of which there are too many with EN.

No, I don't want a workaround, I want the software I pay money to use to integrate with my OS so I'm not constantly breaking my workflow to figure out what's wrong this time.

• Level 5

You get what you get what you get.

You just need to read the forum a little to see that v10 messed up many workflows. On the other hand they enter new features that have not been available in the older versions.

One may even argue that as long as there is legacy, you still get what you paid for.

As I see it, the changes introduced with v10 are there to stay. When your renewal is up, you take a new decision. If you want to leave, you should start right away. Finding, testing and moving is not done in a blink.

On 10/19/2020 at 1:28 AM, ZackE said:

evernote is no longer listed in my share menu and when i go to settings its not even listed as an extension that I can add.......any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 6.24.56 PM.png

I have the same issue. It's a critical function missing (I have Evernote 10.17.8 installed on macOS 11.4)

I've just discovered that (selecting one or more photos ) you can simply choose "Edit with" and Evernote comes up. So the functionality has not been lost, but rather moved to another place.

• Like 1

I just tried upvoting but it seems to have stopped at 121.

I started using computers in 1981.  Out of thousands of programs I've used, this and Quicken for Mac are the ONLY ones that have dropped features with new versions.  I do not understand the mindset of offering the paying customer less, especially when the customer paid for service for a year understanding the features and benefits.  I'm sure it's written in the fine print of the EULA, but normally, this would be a contract violation.

My landlord can't decide to take away a bedroom, or stop providing water.   If I were to lease a car, they cannot decide to remove and take back a wheel.  If I pay for merchandise, the merchant can't decide to send me less for the same amount contracted for.

And we are not told about it.  We each think we have done something wrong or the feature has moved.  We have to spend time (if we have it) to figure out what happened.  They know most people will never get into the forum, let alone find the right message or figure out how to upvote it.   The 121 complaints in this message alone easy represents the views of 3k or more!

Today you buy something in a store and when you are handed your receipt you can discover what you agreed to.  Buy an airline ticket or drive into a parking lot and your ticket tells you what you agreed to.  There are places that you enter and are then told you have agreed to something.  And the EULAS are a classic (look up the Southpark episode) .   They say the software company does not guarantee the software works or does anything or even won't damage your equipment.   You agree not to sue or join a class action suit, but have to chose an arbitration service paid for by the software company.  The arbitration company has an agreement that the software company promises to abide by any "independent decisions" along with an agreement that they can drop the arbitration company at any time....it's clear that if they support the customer, they lose a huge client.  Independent, my *ss.  Evernote has bought into the scr*w the customer  model.  Like a drug dealer, we get hooked, then find the price goes up and we can't use our own data and are stuck with the company.

It speaks the the very ethics and principles of the owner. The decisions that represent these ethics operate in the zone just above criminal theft.  But merely looking at the software binds us to an agreement that we agree to theft and the delivery of nothing.

Evernote, is designed to save me time in organizing my information.  And each new version slows down and drops VITAL features needed. We have to beg for it back in Evernote's version of the Hunger Games.  And finding the support this is hidden, so it looks as if the features are only needed by a few.  And I think the fact that I could not vote it up makes it look like only a few need it.  Perhaps we only get one vote.

I PAID for a license to use software that includes this feature. Under normal conditions, this would be actionable in court.  But just to look at this software, we have given up our rights to do anything but use it and pray.

It shows ABSOLUTE DISREGARD FOR PAYING CUSTOMERS. It does not just ignore customers. It takes actions to hurt them.

"I've just discovered that (selecting one or more photos ) you can simply choose "Edit with" and Evernote comes up. So the functionality has not been lost, but rather moved to another place."

I see no such option.

I appreciate all the creative workarounds that users have suggested.  Each require additional steps or additional software.  I don't mean to criticize the generous users who have spent time trying to give solutions.

I wish you could spend your time doing what you choose to do.  This was not just the removal of a feature.  It ended with a THEFT of your time and mine.  Call me histrionic, but this is no different than someone walking into my home and stealing a tool or implement you need I'm missing the feature and had to spend time researching it, and now have to spend extra time doing the same thing.

If we added up the time spent by every user trying to figure out what happened and the extra time they need to spend and the time we research here, and rate the time at a very inexpensive rate of $30/hour./...how much did Evernote cost us?  Evernote saves some money on programming or checking what we need and we pay more.

Most companies increase features to increase the value and charge more money.  Others drop features to make more profit.

Evernote pulled users from Apple/Windows notes programs that were free.  It won't take much for us to go back to those free programs.  Yes,. some will remain loyal, but after being treated this way by Evernote, many others would love to leave saving money and showing the same regard fo rEvernote that was shown to us.

• Level 5

@Ryq G Some legal fine print ('cause you brought it up, not my field): Legacy is still around, so you get everything you paid for for at least the renewal period of a yearly subscription. And when renewal is up, you already know there is v10, and legacy is legacy and may stop working one day. So you get your chance to evaluate your options.

If you read through the thread, which is specific for the Mac, you find several options beside the sharing option:

• In the Finder, right click, second option from the top is "Open with ...". Select "Evernote.app from the list of apps.
    "Open with ..." does exactly what sharing would do: It creates a new note in EN, puts the file into it and copies the files name into the note title. It IS sharing, just with another name. And it is one click, like sharing.
  • When in the Photos app, (kudos to @kevmark) you can use right click on any picture and select "Edit with ...", Evernote.app (it is called "legacy" in my view, but with the addition of v10.xx and a green logo). It again creates a note with the picture inside.
  • Place an Import folder on your desktop, link it to whatever folder in EN you want. Any file you drop on the import folder will create a new note in EN, attachment inside, note title set to the  file name. 
    BTW Import folders is new to the Mac - you got it free of charge, just like that (like it or not).

These are 3 options, each single one replacing the "sharing" option.

About the rest: If you don't like what you get - look out for a better (!) option and move. Or decide (see above) to stay. Personally I think staying on and getting ulcers out of it is the worst outcome, but that's up to you.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

P.S. It really was no time at all to find out solution 1 and 3 myself - again kudos to @kevmark to add option 2.

It IS much more time to communicate this to users who come to the forum and ask for help.

Some do it in an efficient and welcoming way.

Others do it in a way where I think "10% of the time used to post a lot of words here invested in a little menu checking, and the problem would be solved".

But that's only my view as another user.

• Level 5

Voting up: Click on the arrow at the top of the thread, and it counts up. If it shows green instead of black, you already voted for the thread, and can't vote again.

Support: It is where it ever was, a bit hidden, but that has not changed by the new client. In between they had a rough time with support delayed up to a week. But since quite a while, it is back to 1 labour day, and chat is working again as well.

Over the past few years, features have been added to Evernote that have meant nothing to me.  Others that are so important have been dropped.  Evernote has become less integrated with the Mac. 

• One cannot search Evernote from Spotlight or Finder.  You can find everything else, unless it's in Evernote.
  • Evernote is now designed to work with Google Calendar....but not the Mac Calendar.
  • Documents such as word, pdf, excel are awkwardly stored.
  • One can't move notes as one would move files on the Mac.
  • Problems/issues are identified here and have not been
  • Evernote does not comply with standards on Mac.  These standards mean that if one learns how to do something in one application, one knows how to do it in all the applications.
  • Features needed/requested are ignored.
  • Features used are dropped.
  • Version numbers, frequently running at the same time are confusing. Each year the parallel memberclasses and features becomes more confusing.

Most companies try to meet the needs of their customers.  Yet it seems that Evernote revels in doing things its own way.  It seems choices are done at whim without any focus on customers. When an announcement is made about the sale, we heard nothing from the new owners.  One would think we would hear a welcome and what we might see in the future that we wanted.  It feels more like we just found out our workplace was sold to a new company and no one knows if we're going to shut down, or move in a new direction.

Evernote has had a strong and loyal user base.  But in recent years, it seems that it no longer is interested in keeping them, listening to them, or keeping them.

• Level 5

The thread is called „EN missing from the share menu“, dates from 2020 and is solved.

The problem (if it still occurs, there were no more posts since 1 year) is caused by the way MacOS runs software from the AppStore in a sandbox. It is not caused by the EN software itself. It can be solved by installing the direct install, and dump the AppStore version.

Don’t try to hijack this thread for something else. If you have anything to say, search for a matching thread, or open a new one.

Started using Apple podcasts and realise I couldn't share to EN.

Please add this feature?

As a specialized note taking app it should at least have every features that stock apps like Apple Notes offer?

• Level 5

You can only share to a small selection of apps from the Podcast app, whyever. I doubt it is the app alone that can decide about it.

Posting in the forum will move nothing. I would issue support tickets both with EN and Apple.

Workarounds:

From a Mac, copy a link, insert it into a note.

On iOS sharing directly into EN works.