[Feature Released in Version 10.7] Ability to disable spell checking

Poonnakarn

Idea

50 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hi All,

This feature has been released in our most recent release, Version 10.7.

To disable spell check:

• Mac - Click the preferences menu under the  "Evernote" application menu and uncheck “check spelling as you type” to deactivate
  • Windows - Click the preferences option under the "Tools" menu and uncheck “check spelling as you type” to deactivate

You can learn more about 10.7 here:
https://discussion.evernote.com/announcement/173-update-evernote-for-mac-and-windows-107-is-here/

At this time, I am closing this thread.

If you have a new/different feature request, please start a new thread.

• Like 1

Yes, plus 1 for this. Technical notes with words that nobody's ever heard of, i have tons of squigglys now, may go back to legacy. Sucks because dark mode is nice. 

please make spell check something you can disable. Thanks!

• Like 2

I also have a lot of red underlines on my notes with special abbreviations and non English words. I just installed the latest version today because it has dark mode

I really like the dark mode, but would love to customize the spell check or just disable it. 😭

• Like 3
On 10/21/2020 at 11:53 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

You can find the Windows equivalent of this request here:

You have incorrectly marked both the Windows and Mac versions of this problem "Solved" by making them point to each other. Could you please re-open the issues so they can be properly fixed finally ?

Thanks

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/12/2020 at 8:40 AM, Jan Liska said:

Nobody reads these, obviously.

I think Evernote may be a little busy right now.  This is one of hundreds of options and features being added back in the new versions that are coming out every couple of weeks,  but there's no magic wand.  It'll get fixed as soon as they can - meantime having a misleading title is the least of most of our problems.  If it's a nuisance - go back to Legacy until it gets fixed!

I'm also looking for an official solution here. I do have a non official way to do it.

But please, make it happens.

So anyway, for now, here is my solution:

Please note that I'm on v10.5.7 build 2171, currently. There is no guarantee whatsoever it will work for different versions but you may give it a try as I've included steps to ensure you can revert anything along the line. 

1. Close all Evernote windows, check out the tray icon as well, make sure Evernote is not running
  2. Go to the directory where the dictionaries are stored. For me it's C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\Dictionaries
  3. Create a new folder named "backup" and move all files in it
  4. Go to your installation folder, mine is C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote
  5. Upload evernote.exe to https://hexed.it/.
  6. Now press CTRL+F or click the search bar on the right side
  7. Type .bdic, check "match case" and click find next.
  8. 2E 62 64 69 63 should be highlighted now, ensure there is no other match by pressing "Find next again"
  9. Place your cursor on 62 and click so that it blinks
  10. Start typing 6e6f7065 so that 2E 62 64 69 63 is now 2E 6E 6F 70 65
  11. Rename evernote.exe from step 2 to Evernote.exe.bkp
  12. Return to the website and press the "Save as button"
  13. Place it into the folder of step 1, to the original name of the app "Evernote.exe"

If anything went wrong, place back the files from the backup folder in step 3 to its parent folder, and move back Evernote.exe.bkp to evernote.exe.

If you did everything correctly, you should be able to start evernote as usual now, unbothered by any spell checking. This will probably require you to re-do it if you update Evernote to a newer version.

Hope this helps.

+1 for me - compulsory spell check makes evernote hard to work with for, I write technical articles with lots of abbreviations and it is a very odd decision to compel users to use it - I'm using 10.2.4 and spell check is still compulsory.  Any other benefits fade into the background because I can barely started writing while fighting my way through little red squigles.

• Like 1

I am thinking of switching away from Evernote for that reason. I write both in French and English. Not only can't I turn off those squigly red underlinings, if I decide to subject myself to this and correct, right clicking on the word won't even give me suggestions. This should be the most basic feature in any text editor. You need to get your act together Evernote and allow to diable spellcheck and/or provide basic language dictionaries attached to it.

FYI, I'm on Catalina with all up to date.

• Level 5*
On 11/8/2020 at 10:51 AM, nicohuve said:

I am thinking of switching away from Evernote for that reason. I write both in French and English. Not only can't I turn off those squigly red underlinings, if I decide to subject myself to this and correct, right clicking on the word won't even give me suggestions. This should be the most basic feature in any text editor. You need to get your act together Evernote and allow to diable spellcheck and/or provide basic language dictionaries attached to it.

FYI, I'm on Catalina with all up to date.

To be fair,  Evernote are now catching up with the missing features by leaps and bounds,  but the advice is still the same.  If something in v10 is causing an issue for you - use Legacy until it gets fixed.

It is hard to believe that a new functionality have been introduced without the option to disable it.  Check spelling for English only????   Bad planning.  Not inteligentt.  Very stupid.  Unexpected.  One hour lost to finally find a solution and go back to a Legacy version.  I will stick to it for years.  My confidence in the product is gone.  Unbelievable.....

• Like 1
On 11/10/2020 at 10:05 AM, elderbarros39 said:

It is hard to believe that a new functionality have been introduced without the option to disable it.  Check spelling for English only????   Bad planning.  Not inteligentt.  Very stupid.  Unexpected.  One hour lost to finally find a solution and go back to a Legacy version.  I will stick to it for years.  My confidence in the product is gone.  Unbelievable.....

+1.  

Back to "Evernote Legacy".  Maybe they should rename it "the non-broken Evernote".  Or maybe just call the beta release a beta release.    

As unbelievable as it sounds there seems to be no way to turn off or control the spell checker in the new version of the mac application, which underlines every word of my notes in red and against the dark background makes the readability extremely poor. Please fix this ASAP!!!

• Like 1

This problem is driving me mad.

My primary language is English, but my notes also contain a lot of German text, and plenty of stray words and terms in that language and many others. Some notes I can barely read, there's so much red underlining.

Oh, and my system setting is UK English, so it's underlining "color" and "defense" and anything ending in "-ization" etc in articles clipped from US sources.

Brand names are also getting the same treatment.

It's really stupid and incredibly annoying. And I wouldn't want/don't need a spell check even if I was working only in one version of one language.

Fix this, please!

I thought I missed something, but after checking in the forum here I see that unwanted spell checking  markup CANNOT BE DISABLED. Of course I have spell check disabled in my OSX configurations (LOL there's a rogue spell check!) catt  dogz bad bad sofware . Intersting that these misspells were initially marked here in this post and seem to come and go. Be aware that this makes for bad user experiences. 

I won't waste any more time trying to figure out how long this problem has been known to Evernote, since it shouldn't have been shipped in the first place. Too bad to see a good product start to sink.

It appears that Evernote way of addressing this issue was to remove the spell checker altogether 🤔 As annoying as the spell checker feature was, removing it altogether is not a customer friendly since on occasion, one might want to run a spell check.

On 10/21/2020 at 2:53 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

You've added confusion by marking both this and the Windows equivalent request as SOLVED.  Referring us to the equivalent Windows request is in no way a SOLUTION.

+1 on this, it may just put me over the edge to finally stop using Evernote.

This is the worst of both worlds. Can't disable the spellcheck to stop words from being flagged; and also not integrated with the Mac spelling functions so can't ctrl-click to ignore the word or learn it (add to dictionary). And it's the same on Windows - not specific to platform or language.

Slick dark mode with a bunch of red error-flagged words that I can't do anything about, so frustrating.

If you couldn't integrate it with the native platform capabilities, why didn't you just ship it disabled by default instead of subjecting us to this?

Please fix, I use english but I am an engineer and squiggly-underlined words appear all over the page.  I need to be able to add-to-dictionary or disable spell checker. Its distracting and  I cannot take screenshots of my notes.  Very disappointed.  

On 10/22/2020 at 6:53 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

It's not solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Level 5*
On 10/21/2020 at 5:53 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

@Shane D. Hey Shane, in posts like this, where you are acknowledging a problem, you might consider not marking them as a "solution."  I think it only creates confusion for some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I promise that if you implement "turn off spellcheck" setting, I will immediately upgrade to Premium (currently on Plus, and usually use only about 20% of my quota every month).

Sure, "Add to dictionary" introduced in the latest release, is a useful feature. It certainly helps if you frequently use some jargon words or abbreviations. Still, I am sure there are users like me, who need to capture notes in several languages (three in my case). "Add to dictionary" is not a solution. I give up on having spellcheck in several languages (like in Evernote Legacy), but please, allow us at least to turn the spellchecking off.

Thank you

• Thanks 1

Could have sworn I could turn the spelling checker off before  - I can't remember. But for some reason it is really annoying in the new Evernote. Please, please give us the option to turn spelling check off. I have lots of foreign words in my texts, author names, etc. It is not pleasant to read like that. 

• Like 2

Heloooo evernote, im making this account just to reply this thread, are your sure is it hard to make newest version evernote to disable spell checking??
in this 2021, are you realy sure is VERY HARD to to disable spell checking?

• Like 1