Login - Can't connect to server. Please try again later.

I just installed EN on a new PC, and received the below at login... "Can't connect to server. Please try again later." It has been later for quite some time and my internet works fine as I can browse and login on the EN website.

Obviously I am on the newest version since I just downloaded and installed, however, I did double-check for updates as well. I am on the latest version.

Please advise.

2020-09-29_12-41-55.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  There are a couple of threads in the forums with similar issues - not syncing or not connecting - but I'd focus on this being a new PC for starters;  Is there a VPN or firewall preventing Evernote from reaching out to the server?  If you've not already done so I'd suggest a device restart too. 

As you're a subscriber I'd suggest contacting Support unless this sorts itself out overnight.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, AriadneAello said:

How do we get a fix or solution for that?

Use Facebook or Twitter,  or keep an eye on the Forum here for a user posting an answer or another suggestion.  Worst case subscribe,  if you can,  for 1 month (upgrade / pay monthly / downgrade again after the first month...) and raise your own support request.

POTENTIAL FIX: Been having the same problem of not being able to log in to the windows 10 version/app

of Evernote. I noticed that I still had Evernote showing in my Google Authenticator (from when I was using Evernote

with different login credentials). Once I deleted the Evernote out of my Google Authenticator,  I was able to log in  

to the Windows 10 version without any problems.   Hope that helps.

Having the same issue. Can log in via website and on Android, but not on the Windows app. 
I use Evernote both for personal stuff and work, this will definitely affect my workflow unless fixed before Monday.
Based on your previous experience, guys, how long can this possibly take the team to fix?
I see some issues with the app that's been around for years and no one seems to care. Evernote is not getting better, it actually seems almost abandoned in terms of development and support. I've been considering moving to Notion, but with years of stuff already kept In Evernote... I would really rather avoid that, but looks like Evernote can't keep up with its competitors anymore.

Oh, and here is the log:

[13264] Log opened on 2020/10/04 14:30:02 (UTC+3:00), logging level: [INFO   ]

14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [4912] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe"
14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [4912] Evernote for Windows 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public
14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [4912] Client info: Evernote Windows/309091 (ru-RU, DDL); Windows/10.0.0 (Win64);
14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [4912] Common Editor: ce-62.6.10954 (649a49f9a16675da0e44b4fba6f1414cecf6615e)
14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [4912] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedBundled)
14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [4912] Created SendTo shortcut:
14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [4912] * link: "C:\Users\Alyssa\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\Evernote.lnk"
14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [4912] * path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe"
14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [3352] Requesting bootstrap info from "www.evernote.com" (ru-RU)
14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [3352] Bootstrap info: request to "www.evernote.com" returned profiles: Evernote
14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [4912] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedFresh)
14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [4912] Setting the service host to "www.evernote.com"
14:30:03 [INFO   ] [13264] [4912] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedFresh)
14:30:04 [INFO   ] [13264] [12328] Requesting OpenID availability: https://www.evernote.com/openid/enabled
14:30:04 [INFO   ] [13264] [12328] * enabled: YES
14:30:17 [INFO   ] [13264] [4912] 0% Authenticating user "my.email@gmail.com"
14:30:17 [ERROR  ] [13264] [4912] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 429, error: OK

Same issue as above after someone else tried to log into their account using the desktop app (they weren't able to either). Plus subscription so will be submitting a ticket.

Using the 'sign in with google' button takes you to a page, but doesn't change the log in. Can log onto the website version without issue. Android and iOS apps still work fine, but I'm not going to try signing out and signing back in at this point. 

I've restarted the computer a few times, the wifi connection is good enough to stream video -- so not the issue. I'm going to try reinstalling the app once, but don't expect that it will be effective. 

Does this maybe have something to do with 2-FA?

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, tony10000 said:

Having the same problem on 2 different computers with the Windows app.

Support ticket please - with the number of reports, this looks like an issue they should be aware of...

42 minutes ago, Austin G said:

Thank you all for these reports. We're investigating this issue. Please let us know if you're still experiencing this issue.

If you continue to see the error, please use Evernote Web to access your notes while we work on a fix. 

Glad some people are getting resolution. I'm still getting the same error with the desktop client (Windows 10). Going on about 3 days. It would be great to understand what the issue is to continue trying solutions. 2-FA? Version? Location? Firewalls?

• Ex Employees
5 minutes ago, feczko said:

Glad some people are getting resolution. I'm still getting the same error with the desktop client (Windows 10). Going on about 3 days. It would be great to understand what the issue is to continue trying solutions. 2-FA? Version? Location? Firewalls?

We are still investigating the issues.  Based on the mixed responses, there could be a few different issues reported here.

Are you able to log in using the web or do you also get an error?

Some of the issues appear to be network specific. If you have access to a VPN, enabling it may allow you to login. 

my computer updated win10 yesterday, and started to have the same Evernote  problem as above, log to web Evernote and android are ok, but not pc. Uninstalled Evernote and re-installed, somehow it worked.

But today it is still the same, it is really annoying and frustrating and wasting time.

My Evernote email address is same as google address, is it still ok to delete the google login credentials?? Where should I go to delete the Google login credentials?? Thank you

• Like 1
12 分鐘前, tony10000說:

In other words, I logged out of Evernote web version, and then my email and PW worked in the Windows version.  After that, I logged back into Evernote web.

I followed your method, and it works!! I could log in to the window version now, thank you very much! 

It is really weird. The first time when I log to the window version today, it says can't connect to server, does this mean we have to log to web version first, then log out, and log to window version by using Evernote email and PW??

Anyway, thanks a lot!

I thought I fixed it, but the problem came back. 

According to Tech Support, the error message I am getting (HTTP request failed, code: 429, error: OK) means I am being locked out because of Evernote's security protocol that blocks certain ip ranges from accessing Evernote. 

That sounds pretty ludicrous.  Can't they just use two factor authorization?

The recommended fix is to access it via a VPN.  I am NOT going to pay for VPN service just to access Evernote's Windows client!

The only other option is to submit my ip and user agent data and see if that can be white listed.  I submitted it and waiting to hear back.

I am very disappointed in Evernote.  I understand the need for security, but their brute force method of data security that locks out valid (and paying) users is unacceptable!

UPDATE: I uninstalled and re-installed the Windows client and it is working again (for now).

• Like 3

New PC, installed the latest version and been having the 429/Can't connect to server error for about 2 days.  Tried all the troubleshooting steps from other articles (IE settings, reboot, reinstall, etc.) and logged out of Google Chrome as recommended recently, still no luck.  The only thing I can think of besides some of the mentions about IP ranges, is that I initially click the "Sign in with Google" button and then realized that I had created an account manually with my Gmail as my username.  Please help!

image.png.75ee2309b6bf69839fca655f7fe8b88b.png

I'm having the same problem as most and I've submitted a ticket.  Can't log on to Evernote using the most recent Windows version.  It sucks.  Very frustrating and even more frustrating is the lack of feedback/progress on the issue.

• Like 1

Dears,

I joined the forum now looking for a solution for this problem every time I try to sign in I get this message "Cannot connect to the server. Please try again later". I had this problem on my laptop that I use for work and now I have it on my personal laptop as well!!!

Is there any official email that we can communicate this problem to Evernote Team or a call center that we can call maybe? Thanks.

OK, I'm not about to engage in a flaming session.  But did you see this?  ~10 minutes AFTER

It's obviously NOT running smoothly because multiple people are reporting the same error.

image.png

18 hours ago, Austin G said:

We are still investigating the issues.  Based on the mixed responses, there could be a few different issues reported here.

Are you able to log in using the web or do you also get an error?

Some of the issues appear to be network specific. If you have access to a VPN, enabling it may allow you to login. 

I'm experiencing this issue on a new pc as well. Evernote premium - Win 10 - Can log into the web via Chrome, but Edge browser results in white page. Windows client gives the same error: "Can't connect to server. Please try again later".

14:09:42 [ERROR  ] [1336] [996] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 429, 

Longtime premium user here. Having identical problem with Windows 10 desktop client. "Can't connect to server." HTTP request failed, code: 429. Cannot submit bug report on the website.

Web access is fine, so is Android phone access. Using VPN, and then accessing desktop client is fine. Seems to be some authentication problem. 

• Ex Employees

Thank you all for these reports. We're looking into this now. In the meantime, please try enabling a VPN to use Evernote for Windows Desktop  or use Evernote Web to access your notes.

Thanks for your patience while we continue to investiagate this. 

Good evening, I have the same problem, from Windows 10 64 bits. Recently installed (4 days)

I need help (Sergio from Chile)

[10980] Log opened on 2020/10/06 23:16:37 (UTC-3:00), logging level: [INFO   ]

23:16:37 [INFO   ] [10980] [9640] Command line: "D:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" 
23:16:37 [INFO   ] [10980] [9640] Evernote for Windows 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public
23:16:37 [INFO   ] [10980] [9640] Client info: Evernote Windows/309091 (es-ES, DDL); Windows/10.0.0 (Win64);
23:16:37 [INFO   ] [10980] [9640] Common Editor: ce-62.6.10954 (649a49f9a16675da0e44b4fba6f1414cecf6615e)
23:16:37 [INFO   ] [10980] [9640] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedLastUsed)
23:16:37 [INFO   ] [10980] [6740] Requesting bootstrap info from "www.evernote.com" (es-ES)
23:16:37 [INFO   ] [10980] [6740] Bootstrap info: request to "www.evernote.com" returned profiles: Evernote
23:16:37 [INFO   ] [10980] [9640] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedFresh)
23:16:37 [INFO   ] [10980] [9640] Setting the service host to "www.evernote.com"
23:16:37 [INFO   ] [10980] [9640] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedFresh)
23:16:38 [INFO   ] [10980] [11388] Requesting OpenID availability: https://www.evernote.com/openid/enabled
23:16:38 [INFO   ] [10980] [11388] * enabled: YES
23:16:53 [INFO   ] [10980] [9640] 0% Authenticating user "xxxxxx@xxxxx.cl"
23:16:54 [ERROR  ] [10980] [9640] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 429, error: OK

13 hours ago, Austin G said:

Thank you all for these reports. We're looking into this now. In the meantime, please try enabling a VPN to use Evernote for Windows Desktop  or use Evernote Web to access your notes.

Thanks for your patience while we continue to investigate this. 

As stated previously, I am not going to pay another subscription fee (for a VPN) just to access Evernote.  PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!

14 hours ago, Austin G said:

Thanks for your patience while we continue to investiagate this. 

Hi Austin,

Any update on this problem. I still cannot access my account on the desktop version.  

2 hours ago, Rentgius said:

Now i can access my account but it doesn't sync.. It's so annoying... COME ON EVERNOTE!! the windows client sucks! you know it

Same here. Keeps telling me to re-enter my password over and over again.

I use Evernote for work and I'm soooo not happy!

OK, so this has worked for me having web login issues:  

Login to your account settings with https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action

Under Evernote Web Select 'Go back to classic version'

Click 'Go to Notes' at top right

Evernote opens OK in classic format.

A popup invites you to try the latest version, which then works as advertised.

My only concern is that this is the second day I've had to do this to regain access.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am evernote user for years. And feeling happy about the apps update.. but since I update my desktop app (evernote win 10, 10.4.3), I cannot login to my account. It keeps saying that the internet connection is bad. While my internet connection is fine and normal. I also able to login to evernote web app.

I think the error to log in happen because there's a protocol added on the newest app.

I will try to install my last working version..

Probably soon, evernote should provide a rollback version file for people who experiencing error like this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Same issue with the Windows Store version, at the login screen I get "Unable to connect...". 

This is going to be a really unhelpful post! Here's the sequence and where I'm at now:

• I've been using Evernote program (the .exe file) on a work laptop with no admin rights for a while. I was able to get an admin to install the program, so it's worked, but I couldn't get updates. 
  • Now have a new laptop. Tighter restrictions, so I was given access to install the Windows store version of evernote. 
  • When I try to log in on this laptop, I get the "unable to connect..." message.
  • I've been using the web version as a workaround, but wasn't a big fan of the UI. 
  • I just tried the Windows app again, this time I hit the Google authentication button (I don't log in with a Google account usually).
  • This opened a Windows Defender screen, advising that it was blocking the app.
  • Gave up and followed the 'rollback' method for web that @user12345678 posted
  • I'm happy with the resulting web UI for now. 

Seriously reconsidering my paid subscription though. My work is pushing us to use OneNote, so Evernote need to be responsive to paying customer issues. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Mrac said:

Evernote need to be responsive to paying customer issues. 

Try a Support ticket - there's probably still a delay,  but at least you're in a queue and will get individual attention.  From your post it sounds like you're connecting from a fairly well locked down device which may be part of the problem...

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I have been using EN Legacy with Basic plan fine.  Yesterday, I got a new laptop, so I deactivate the old laptop and install the same Legacy on the new laptop (win10).  After that I got the same "Can't connect to server" error.  I have uninstall/reinstall EN Legacy, and de-activate all but web access.  Still cannot use PC version EN locally.

Will I get better chance if I use the v10 EN?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, DukeJa said:

Will I get better chance if I use the v10 EN?

Hi.  No,  sorry - you're likely to have the same problem.  I suggest you try uninstalling / restarting / reinstalling the 'legacy' app - install as 'Administrator' if you can - sometimes that helps...

• 9 months later...

A quick note just to let you know that I am leaving EN for good!!!
The trial has been awful every step of the way.
Your bulling techniques into subscribe are scandalous.

Ever since I transferred my stuff in it you gave me the sense that I was loosing it unless I subscribe.
A problem here, a login problem there, restriction of devices and all the other ***** you know well.

We put on your servers important notes, ideas, and many other stuff dear to us.
What is the f*****g point if when I need this data can't access it?

Back to apple notes...at least you always find your stuff, everywhere without being bullied.
By folks

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, LeavingEverNote said:

Your bulling techniques into subscribe are scandalous.

Hi.  And goodbye.  We're mainly users here,  so we don't generally care,  but for the record there are no 'bullying' techniques buried in the software.  You may have had a hard time,  but you don't seem to have asked for any help here,  so apparently couldn't figure it all out.  Regardless,  saving "important notes, ideas, and many other stuff dear to us." in new free software is not a good idea.  At least if you become a subscriber,  you get access to the Support team and your data is protected.

• Level 5

Looks that somebody meant he gets a free lunch. If it is that important or dear what we put on a server, it should be in our own interest to have a subscription, because it is the contract that is legally binding for the service provider.

With the Apple apps he already paid the flat rate, when purchasing the device. You get some pretty nice apps together with an Apple device, but only as long as you have it. If it is OK to replace the old Apple device by a new one, no problem.

People who want to change the ecosystem may find out one day they are locked into the apps, because they will only work on Apple devices, and usually have no real good exporting or data transfer options. I can tell, I am using Apple devices as well. It is all very good, but it is not the latest trick on how to save a ton of money by getting "free" services. BTW, if you want more than 5GB in iCloud storage (including Apple Notes), it is subscription time over there as well.

• 1 month later...

People are still having this problem years later I see! Has there been a fix posted anywhere? I have a new Dell with Windows 10 and get the message "Can't connect to server. Please try again later." I've wasted hours trying to troubleshoot! It's a known problem and what has Evernote done about it? I'm a long time subscriber but perhaps not for much longer. This is not acceptable. And I don't want to hear about getting a VPN; I use a mobile hotspot for Internet and I'm not paying for a VPN or trying to figure out how to set one up. Evernote knows this is an issue; they should fix it!

• Level 5*
On 3/11/2022 at 7:25 PM, JulieCinVA said:

I use a mobile hotspot for Internet

Hi.  As a subscriber you have access to email support (which is not us) so I'd suggest you run your situation by the Evernote support team - they're usually pretty helpful. 

Not sure what situation you get into with a mobile hotspot - you are presumably effectively using a data-intensive version of Evernote on a high-end laptop via the phone,  which (my spider sense says) seems unlikely to end well.  However I'll freely admit to total ignorance on the subject - if you do get it sorted,  please come back here to confirm the details,  because we've  (well mainly I've) not thought to ask how people are connecting to the network before - I just assume it's wifi / LAN / or normal mobile...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, sorry, i'm a subscriber too. The references to support don't help, they refer to the forum here and can't solve the problem either! It's obviously not an account related issue as even with a new account I get the same error message. Also tried VPN, no chance, only occurs with Legacy, but that's exactly what we need! 1779408097_Screenshot2022-04-02160209.png.2bbde3e7a95026fc05a9cd35efb3b03c.png

• Level 5

This is looking a lot like a network problem.

It can be a lot which is blocking:

- Software installed on the computer, like an antivirus or internet security suite.

- Software installed on your network, like uBloc or a Pi-hole

- Software on your router, like a firewall 

No chance to do a remote analysis. You can only look at what is installed, switch it off one by one and see if you get through. Is it your own network, or for example a company network ?

From telling it doesn’t even work with a VPN I think the most likely theory is something on your computer.

If the computer is mobile, you could go to a different network (coffee shop, library etc.) and try from there. If it still gets blocked, it is on the computer itself. If not, it is on the network.

Just some hints to find the root cause.

• Level 5

If it is on a firewall, sometimes the blocking entry is in a large configuration file that will overwrite deleting it when it is downloaded the next time.

In such a case better define a „whitelist“ rule. This overrides a blacklisting.

• 11 months later...

2023 March 30, Macbook Air 2020 running Monterey -- "Failed to communicate with Evernote servers" issue this afternoon, first time ever. Works fine in web.Paid subscriber long time. Have restarted multiple times, in Safe Mode and not. Will try contacting support directly but wow.