Duplicate Notes get created automatically!

HemantVasishth

Idea

I was simply typing in a note for approximately 2 hours. When I was done editing it, I could see that 3 duplicate notes got created automatically. Each of the duplicate notes was created at different times. For example if I wanted to write 100 lines in my note. When I was done, I would see multiple notes created with the same file name automatically - one with all 100 sentences, 2nd with 70 sentences, 3rd with 50 sentences, etc.. I never created any "duplicate copy" of any note 'manually' myself deliberately.

I am afraid this unpredictability in Evernote should not delete my precious note(s) altogether someday! Please have a look at the timestamps of all the notes (encircled in red) in the attached screenshot and suggest.

Evernote issue.png

• Like 1

28 replies to this idea

• Level 5

OK, if you're using Evernote in Chrome, you may want to look a the Web client beta forums. There have been previous reports of this issue, going back almost a year:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/120346-en-web-notes-duplicate-every-minutes/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/124418-note-is-automatically-duplicated-when-i-edit-a-note/

I haven't experienced it in my use of the Web beta. I suspect it may relate to the browser--EN seems to have issues with Chrome; I don't know about Safari.

This is still happening on the web client (Chrome). do you have plans to fix this ? Or I should use OneNote or some other software?  Having to delete duplicate note every 2-3 minute isn't a feasible work-around.  P.S.  I'm on LAN, not wifi.   

Does this work on other browser?

(Sorry I replied on an older thread)

• Like 1

This issue also came up for me a few weeks back in the Evernote client on OSX. 

10.24.3-mac-ddl-public (3041)
Editor: v134.0.17043
Service: v1.41.4

This seems like a major problem and is cluttering my system with so much junk. Some notes are randomly duplicated just once, others not at all, and some 5+ times. I've relied on Evernote for many years and this is the first time I've ever had a significant issue. Can someone from the Evernote team suggest any workarounds?

I am having the same problem with duplicate notes being created automatically every few minutes. I am using Windows desktop client.

It just started happening today. I have tried trashing and emptying trash, but more duplicates just keeps being created

Some of the stuff I add to a note disappears also and I have to retype the info. Help please...

image.png.5fa071703216faf583344027f456938d.png

• Level 5

Try this:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote
If it does not solve the issue, uninstall using an uninstaller software like RevoUninstaller, restart the PC and install again, using the downloader on the EN website.
  • Level 5

I've had this problem off and on in the Web client; I don't have the v. 10 Windows desktop client installed yet. It's very disappointing to see it happening there, especially if the solution is going to be deleting the database and downloading it again, or reinstalling. My impression is that it is related to the constantly-syncing model of the upgraded Evernote architecture. Hopefully they'll find out what causes it, because I don't look forward to this once I've got the desktop app!

• Level 5

Maybe (but this is wild thinking) there is cached content stored in the browser. This could collide, as the local database may interfere.

We agree it should not happen at all - but maybe you could look if cleaning out a cache can solve the problem at the moment.

It's happening to me since 2017 tbh, Web(Chrome)
I did clear a cache for EN solely - i hope it will work for few months, if not - it's  definitely unhelpful. I just bought a premium version for one year, but I guess I should reconsider migrating to other platform, let's say Notion for that matter. 

• Level 5

Would it be possible for you to install the Evernote desktop app (Windows or Mac?) Its functioning is now almost completely identical to the Web version, and since there's no browser involved in using it, it might be less likely to do this duplicating of notes.