Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

Removing RSS Feed support from Public Notebooks

rss public notebooks web evernote

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 gbarry

gbarry

• Title: Admin in Residence
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

We currently have support for RSS feeds for public notebooks to allow subscribers to automatically get updates to those notebooks.

Last night's (4/10/2013) release of the web service removed this support. Attempts to access Public Notebook RSS feeds will return a 404 HTTP response code instead of the heretofore expected content.

At this point, the feature was imposing excessive load on the service relative to its use and utility, and the decision was made to remove it.

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,189 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hahaha. Just as I told someone how to set up their RSS feed... Oh, the irony :)

#3 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,800 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Retract, retract!

Even though they're two entirely different animals, I'm also well aware that this plays into the Reader narrative somewhat.

I'd be interested in some possible workarounds.  Perhaps IFTTT to generate a notification when a public notebook is updated?

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#4 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,756 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

IFTTT can fire a notification when you share a new public note link, so that might not work.

I think that Zapier can do this. You can trigger off a new note from a specific notebook, as best I can tell.

~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#5 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,189 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Despite the popularity of your posts in this forum GB, my guess is that:

1. removing support for a feature without prior notification is probably not a good idea,

2. posting changes like this on the Evernote blog is probably a good idea, and

3. there might be people out there who have no idea why things have broken down. 

Although not necessarily Evernote's best-known features, it does get used, and a heads up in some kind of official capacity wouldn't have hurt. I'm just grumbling here. I didn't use the feature, and I am not affected, but I'm thinking of the best way to go about making changes like this.

#6 gazumped

gazumped

• Title: Operative
  • 5,641 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

Someone may wish to change http://evernote.com/...rticle/23194036 fairly quickly - I quoted it earlier today too...  (now retracted)

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

Premium Windows & Android user in Wales, UK

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#7 HerbyDE

HerbyDE

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • Group: Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

Oh, feeds was a good thing ... I know people who own a regular (WordPress-)blog an a side widget which catched the Evernote feed of their cooking notebook or so ... hm ... it is so a simple technique ... okay

But maybe this is a chance to reconsider the structure of shared notebooks: they are functional but a little bit "dowdy". You can't scroll it on tablets or smartphones, they look unfamiliar for non-evernote users and so on.

Maybe you take a real blog platform - like http://postach.io/ - and redirect the notes to such a platform?

#8 Petaluma Peter

Petaluma Peter

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

I'm really bumbed out to hear this. I *just* found out about this feature yesterday and it solved a problem of "how do I keep track and read all the reading I need to do? (a portion of which comes from Notebooks in Evernote, another portion from RSS feeds which I aggregate into Google Reader)"

I enjoy reading on my iPad and find the RSS readers there pretty good. I don't get the same experience form reading notes from within Evernote. The UX of moving from note to note isn't as smooth as moving from one RSS article to another. Second is the inefficiency of moving between multiple apps to address a workflow that I'd like to be in a single UI experience.

Since this is really an infrastructure issue and not a limitation of app functionality, what are your thoughts for how to restore this user workflow?

#9 weertske

weertske

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

This is truly an unfortunate loss. I was just setting up IFTTT to incorporate new public notes into my company's blog.  When that didn't work, I switched to EverPress, and when it couldn't find my RSS feed, I knew something was up.

Just canceling the RSS service without notifying users is wrong.  Once I had this set up I would not have checked this blog for a few weeks which means it would not have been working and I wouldn't have even known!  I realize that RSS feeds may be putting a big load on your servers, but how about supplying this service for your premium members?

#10 gazumped

gazumped

• Title: Operative
  • 5,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

If you feel strongly about the removal of the RSS feed,  I'd encourage you to submit a feedback email via the support requests link.  This forum is monitored by (part of) Evernote,  but it can't hurt to make sure that your comments have been received and noted by email too...

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

Premium Windows & Android user in Wales, UK

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#11 jefito

jefito

• 10,756 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

I gotta say that some advance notice before pulling the plug would have been helpful to folks who do the RSS service, to give them time to find a replacement. And tips on what replacement candiates are out there would have been a good idea as well.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#12 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,800 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

Someone may wish to change https://support.ever...ublic-Notebooks fairly quickly - I quoted it earlier today too...  (now retracted)

Good point, I've notified the education folks to pull down.

Proper notification ahead of planned feature removals, along with proposed workarounds, is something we need to work on, and I'm bringing it up internally.

#13 parkylondon

parkylondon

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Just as I was about to take my use of Evernote up from "just me" to "care and share" I get a note to say "err, as of last night, no"...

This is annoying. I have spent quite some time assembling the following notebooks with a view to having them shared and RSS was going to be my chosen route. 

Given I can't share them in any useful, automatically updating way, anymore - and thus share the usefulness of Evernote to a wider audience - I guess I should just take them private again??

Thanks Evernote. Destroying the usefulness of RSS just as well as Google.

Photography - All Else - https://www.evernote...ondon/phallelse
Photography - Astronomy - https://www.evernote...don/phastronomy
Photography - Business - https://www.evernote...ndon/phbusiness
Photography - Canon Specific - https://www.evernote...phcanonspecific
Photography - Composition - https://www.evernote...n/phcomposition
Photography - Landscapes - https://www.evernote...on/phlandscapes
Photography - Lightroom and Photoshop - https://www.evernote...oomandphotoshop
Photography - Photographers - https://www.evernote...phphotographers
Photography - Places I want to visit - https://www.evernote...cesiwanttovisit
Photography - Portraits - https://www.evernote...don/phportraits
Photography - Technique - ttps://www.evernote...don/phtechnique

#14 thw88z

thw88z

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Oh come on guys. I just upgraded for many reasons but now look at my right column. I can no longer update my school website from my ipad app.

Sucky decision without notice. Makes people look very unprofessional.

www.fairvalehigh.com

Please reconsider or have a solution

#15 parkylondon

parkylondon

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

The complete lack of commentary on this from Evernote themselves is quite telling. 

Getting too big to care about us the paying public?

<<<crickets>>>

Google can dump on us - it's a free service, they can do what they like.

Sure it's annoying but hey, they ARE too big to care.

I would have thought Evernote aren't.

And they would do well to remember that a paid service can become an unused service.

#16 jefito

jefito

• 10,756 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

The complete lack of commentary on this from Evernote themselves is quite telling. 

<<<crickets>>>

And they would do well to remember that a paid service can become an unused service.

gbarry is an Evernote employee. Evernote's justification is in the first post. What are you seeking to hear?
~Jeff

#17 parkylondon

parkylondon

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

Frankly, a "sorry" would be nice.
A proper workaround would be better. 
Reinstating it would be best. 

#18 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,189 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

<<<crickets>>>

Hi. Just to clarify: Evernote and Google are both free services. They also both offer paid plans in order to access additional features / storage. In other words, they are quite similar in this regard.

That's not to say the removal of RSS support could not have been handled better, but I don't think the free/premium plans are relevant here, because RSS support was available to both Free and Premium users. 

#19 parkylondon

parkylondon

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

I pay for Evernote. I don't pay for Google

Here's an easy one. Reinstate RSS for paid accounts. 

#20 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,189 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

I pay for Evernote. I don't pay for Google

My point was that they are both Free services with paid plans. Some people choose to pay. Others don't. But, they are both basically the same in structure. In my case, I pay Google 4.99 per month for extra storage on Google Drive. This also gives me additional storage in my email.

Here's an easy one. Reinstate RSS for paid accounts.

I don't know if it is easy or not, but it seems like a valid request to me, because I imagine there are other people out there who would also be willing to pay for access to RSS features.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rss, public notebooks, web, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote