GARY3733

Desktop PIN Security

Idea

16 replies to this idea

11 hours ago, GARY3733 said:

With windows or mac ,is there any way to use password when open everynote?

You have the option to sign in/out of Evernote on the Mac, instead of just closing the app.
Signing in requires entry of a password

Warning - to sign in, requires an internet connection

17 hours ago, GARY3733 said:

With windows or mac ,is there any way to use password when open everynote?

@GARY3733, welcome to the Forums!

Passcode lock in Evernote is only available for mobile devices. A best practice would be to sign out of the Evernote application when you are finished using it as @DTLow already pointed out.

You can direct this to the following threads as a feature request:

I hope that helps!

• Like 1

Upvotes (at the top left of this page) tend to help add some traction to requests...

19 hours ago, Trost said:

Evernote existed for years and this is still not a thing? :o

Nope - sign in / sign out / lock screens have all been around for longer...  This seems like a nice to have,  but not mission crit.  There's lots of other stuff to go at.

20 hours ago, Trost said:

Evernote existed for years and this is still not a thing? :o

You bet it's a thing. And that thing is called a "feature request".

Standard workarounds: sign out of your Evernote account to lock other users out of your local Evernote instance, or use your Windows OS's Lock facility (Win+L) to lock other users out of your Evernote account. Is there some reason that those aren't adequate for your use case?

3 hours ago, joe338 said:

I need this feature too

It's a reasonable (and popular) request,  but again - do you use standard laptop/ desktop security to lock your device when you're away? Do you sign out of Evernote when it's not in use?  Why is an additional level of security necessary? 

Still no ability to lock Evernote on the desktop I see. So disappointing. Such a basic function. Seems silly I can lock my phone but my desktop is wide open. I can encrypt text in a note, not at all covient and poorly executed.

I now have Dark Mode and Themes tho. Oh Yea!

I would really like to know if this feature is even on the radar for future development. This has been a feature request as far back as 2013 if not further and still nothing.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 8:15 AM, Spicyjello said:

I would really like to know if this feature is even on the radar for future development.

Evernote don't (usually) comment on what may or may not be in development.  Arguments against this idea - 

• Other software isn't usually password-locked (Outlook / Word / Excel / most (all?) browsers / editing software... / database software...)
  • It's bad practice to allow anyone else access to your unlocked profile on any computer
  • protections already exist - log out of Evernote / lock the device

As users,  we're perfectly entitled to request the option;  as providers,  Evernote is equally entitled to have different priorities.

On 12/23/2018 at 12:15 AM, Spicyjello said:

my desktop is wide open.

You should look look into the security options available for your desktop device.
Evernote doesn't support a PIN feature, but our desktops are not wide open.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

You should look look into the security options available for your desktop device.
Evernote doesn't support a PIN feature, but our desktops are not wide open.

This is mostly true and I understand your point. The challanges comes when I am at work and using Evernote there, I can't lock that computer. Although I have the previlage to load the software I choose while at work, I do not want snooping co-workers. Same goes for my phone. If the logic applies that we can just lock the devices, why did Evernote bother to allow an addidtional security step on phone with a PIN? Same situation.

Please. I need to be able to lock down my evernote notes, or I'll have to use something else. *paying customer :)