• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
phils

Exporting Contact information to a CSV file (TuskTools ContactExporter)

Idea

In response to expressed demand, I wrote a Windows utility that exports data from Evernote Contact notes to a CSV file.

TuskTools ContactExporter is currently available in an initial beta version; you can download the installer from here.  It hasn't had very extensive testing yet, so please download it and let me know via emailing support@moreproductivenow.com how it works for you.

It was a little tricky to implement because CSV files call for a consistent field list in every row (record), whereas Evernote's Contact card format allows for a variable number of elements for certain fields (namely, for email, phone, Twitter, LinkedIn, and addresses).  So I implemented the following field structure in the CSV file:

CSVFields.jpg

In other words, it implements the following rules:

For Email - it outputs the first two email address fields it finds in the note.

For Phone - it outputs the first two phone number fields it finds that are not labeled as Cell or Fax.

For Twitter, LinkedIn, and addresses - it outputs the first two values it finds for each of these field types.

As mentioned above, this is currently an initial beta.  Once it's been sufficiently tested, I will most likely put it on the market for a nominal amount.

Also as mentioned, it's currently a Windows utility.  It's possible I might expand it to other platforms; we'll see how the response goes.

2 people like this

37 replies to this idea

FYI I've posted an updated version of the program - it fixes a few reported bugs in extracting some of the fields, and it also adds a note's Date Created and Date Updated as two new exported columns.

1 person likes this

Great work,thanks a lot for sharing this, if it works will save a lot of time to many users, have been looking for something similar for a long time, great job!

Hope it's a success and you do one for Mac. The lack of an export feature should be a bigger issue for Evernote, but maybe we aren't a big market for them.

1 person likes this

Quick question for you, Phils. Do you ever plans to expand into the Android market.

FYI I've posted an updated version of the program - it fixes a few reported bugs in extracting some of the fields, and it also adds a note's Date Created and Date Updated as two new exported columns.

Do you ever plans to expand into the Android market.

I'll never say never, but no plans at the moment.

Seems to work pretty well! Didn't export the LinkedIn field is my only complaint. Keep up the good work! This is a huge help.

Roger

Have used it for about 200 business cards and saved me a lot of time, thanks a lot for this!
it is not malware and worked fine for me in a virtual machine on a Mac

@Francescos,

Glad it's proving useful for you!

@Cenes,

If you would be willing, could you export (to an ENEX file format) the business card note containing the LinkedIn field that didn't export, and email it to support@moreproductivenow.com?  That way I can see why it missed the LinkedIn field - it should be including those.

First of all great software, I use it frequently at work and it is very helpful. I have found one issue, that is likely easily fixable, I just don't have the coding expertise to make the changes myself. 

I use scannable to scan my business cards, and most of the time it titles the business cards "Business Cards" but sometimes they go in as "Scannable Document" and ContactExporter doesn't grab the data from them. You cannot change the titles of notes created by 3rd party software within evernote, but exterally I have changed the named of some notes to  "Business Cards" and then run ContactExporter on these documents and it grabs the data then, so the only difference in these documents is the title. 

Would it be possible to extend the search parameters to notes titled  "Scannable Document" as well as "Business Cards"?

Thanks!

Thanks, glad you find it useful.

It actually doesn't filter based on note title, it works based on the "content class" property and grabs all notes with a content class of "evernote.contact.1".  I'm not sure how you're changing the title externally but whatever the process, it must also be updating the content class.

The real issue is that before you do that process, if it doesn't have the correct content class, then chances are it also doesn't have the data properly formatted internally as contact fields that ContactExporter can parse.  But we can easily find out if that's true or not - if you can take a note that got scanned as a "Scannable Document" and, without altering anything, export it to an ENEX file and email that file to me at support at moreproductivenow.com, I can see what the internal format is.

Hello Phils,

We are having requirement of syncing all business cards(contacts) note into our sharepoint contacts list. we are having business account with evernote as well. we created two contacts in different notebook using this functionality from our android phone. now we would like to sync those contact notes in our sharepoint contacts list. i downloaded your tool and while installing it i gave my personal email id instead of business email id. after that i tried to login with my business email id but it is taking only first one. so i am not able to export actual notebook in csv file.

Can you help me in achieving our functionality? how can i export all business card(contacts) note into our sharepoint Contacts list? does evernote provide such API to identify these contacts note and extract? we are already using evernote API to sync their notes(business/personal) into our system. now we need business cards need to be sync using .Net C# API.

Same as you developed this TuskTools ContactExporter, we need same API to export Business cards contacts notes directly into our sharepoint site using platform C#.net.

Thanks & Regards

Ashish Rajguru

Hi Ashish,

If you go to your Evernote My Account page and revoke access to ContactExporter, then you should get prompted to connect again and can use your business username.

In terms of the API, there is no specific functionality to handle contact card notes; you would need to identify those notes based on a content class of "evernote.contact.1", and then parse the note content to extract the contact field data.  I'm afraid I can't supply the specific source code for the parser I wrote as it's part of a code base for a custom client Evernote/Salesforce integration we created.

Hello Phils,

Thanks for the reply. i can understand your concern but it's our critical requirement and we need your technical inputs as well. so we would appreciate your technical inputs. can you help me little bit in parsing note conten?. in my code if i use

string noteContent = noteStore.getNoteContent(bAuthToken, note.Guid);

then i get following business card content in string which is different content then any normal note content. As you said it consists of "x-evernote:contact" class. Please find the attachment which is note content of one of my business card note.

Do i need to iterate through all the elements exist in that class? or we can insert whole contact in our sharepoint contacts list at one go? if you can give me example of parsing only one element like email or company name then i will parse rest of others at my end. 

Thanks & Regards
Ashish Rajguru

BusinessCard_NoteContent.txt

Phils,

First off, thank you so much for creating this.  I wish I would've known about CVS as I've never done that before so I had to search this in layers and it took hours.  I ended up googling "Evernote to CVS" and BAM!  That was after like 4 hours of trying to desperately find a way to do exactly this.  I think my original search field was "Evernote to Outlook" but I found nothing within the first 2 pages of my search engine.

Lastly, you deserve to get paid for this!  Paypal information please.  You have no idea how many different sources I've seen people saying "I wish you can transfer business cards over to Evernote." yeah, so do I after two days of non-stop searching.

My only suggestion for the program I could think of while analyzing the program was, it would be nice to transfer the front business card image as a picture since pretty much most peoples faces won't be there.  I noticed I had a few business cards with linked in, but they don't appear in outlook.  I think outlook doesn't have a category for Linked-in or maybe I missed it.  If you can't do that, or don't want to do that, no big deal.  I think at least I got the most important thing needed more than anything else.  The picture thing would basically be a BIG BONUS if you think about it (not to mention this is already a BIG BONUS since it works well).

and again, Thank you very much!

Nicely done!!! 

I know other folks have asked for additional field and I'd like to chime in.

1. Tags
  2. Photo of front of the card
  3. The photo of the person that Evernote found on LinkedIn.
  4. The notes field.  (On the iPad this field is displayed with a "notes:" label.  On windows the data shows up in the Evernote contact, but has no label.)
  5. LinkedIn profile url

Hi all,

I've just posted an updated version of ContactsExporter.  Get it from the same installer link in the top post of this thread.

Changes:

• It now exports a note's Tags - it puts them in a comma-separated list at the end of the row.
  • It now properly handles the case where the LinkedIn field is shown as "View Profile" instead of the actual URL.
  • The previous beta version has an expiration date of Nov. 1 - it will stop working after that date.  This version removes any expiration dates.

Phil,

Thanks so much for this life-saver. Just tried it today and it works great. The only minor issue I note is that I get a lot of concatenation with the address text - it may be the way EN stores that field with returns? I really need to get the scans into Outlook and your utility enables that. Thanks again!

Andy

Andy,

If you can do an ENEX-format export of a note that exhibits the concatenation and send it to me at support at moreproductivenow dot com, I can take a look at that.

Hi Phils and ContactExport users,

I installed it on Windows8 and when I try to reinstall it confirms it is there. However, no new program shows up anywhere (search through the latest apps on the desk or control panel latest, of course in Evernote PC or online neither).

Any tip?

1 person likes this

It really looks very great. How about integrating business card recognition SDK into it. It can scan the business cards and retrieve information from them and save the contact information into mobile address. 

@zello,

If you start typing "TuskTools", do you see it?  Also I think it will be in a group called "More Productive Now". You might also check your Programs and Features uninstall list in Control Panel just to verify that it did get installed.

@maymayer,

Not quite sure I understand. Sounds like you're suggesting to create a complete business-card-scanning app, which wouldn't have anything to do with Evernote?  (And which there already exist out there.) (FYI Evernote's card scanning API is not available for 3rd parties.)

You are a God! I have searched for ages and was doing all sorts of work-arounds but this is perfect!!! Thank you so much for this tool!!

1 person likes this

@jinumm and @Pegasys,

You're welcome - I'm happy that you find it valuable!

1 person likes this