Request: Permanently *disable* Presentation Mode when double clicking?

soundsgoodtome

Idea

While I can understand Presentation Mode being a feature that many would appreciate, I don't understand why we're forced to use it, whether we want it or not.

I have many notes containing images of one type or another. Large images -- like screenshots -- are understandably reduced in size significantly in order to be displayed within a note. So, to view an image at full size, I simply want to double-click the image and view it. (Better yet -- we'd select the image and simply hit the spacebar for a "QuickLook-style" view.)

Instead, double-clicking any image now automatically invokes Presentation Mode. The image is blown up to the full size of the screen, and everything else is obscured.

I don't want that! Who could have thought this was a good idea as the default -- and only -- behavior?

Presentation Mode is a great feature to have -- if or when needed. But it appears there's now no way whatsoever to simply view an image within a note at the image's default size -- without having to enter Presentation Mode. In other words, every image opens in Presentation Mode -- whether you like it or not.

Ugh.

Bottom-line: How does one simply view an image at normal size without everything else on one's screen being obscured from view?

If I've overlooked a method for simply viewing an image, please let me know. Otherwise, please, please rethink this, so we can simply view our notes' images!

Edited by amanda_h
moving to product feedback, editing title to be more specific
  • Like 1

29 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Double-clicking on an image should (but does NOT) behave just like double-clicking on all other EN attachments:  Open the image (attachment) in the default app set on the users machine.

EDIT: Clarify my statement.  Double-clicking on images starts Presentation Mode for me also.

Instead, double-clicking any image now automatically invokes Presentation Mode. The image is blown up to the full size of the screen, and everything else is obscured.

I don't want that! Who could have thought this was a good idea as the default -- and only -- behavior?

Presentation Mode is a great feature to have -- if or when needed. But it appears there's now no way whatsoever to simply view an image within a note at the image's default size -- without having to enter Presentation Mode. In other words, every image opens in Presentation Mode -- whether you like it or not.

Ugh.

Bottom-line: How does one simply view an image at normal size without everything else on one's screen being obscured from view?

If I've overlooked a method for simply viewing an image, please let me know. Otherwise, please, please rethink this, so we can simply view our notes' images!

Edited by JMichael
  • Like 1

Double-clicking on an image should behave just like double-clicking on all other EN attachments:  Open the image (attachment) in the default app set on the users machine. 

To clarify your post, when you say "Double-clicking on an image should behave just like double-clicking on all other EN attachments," are you saying that:

( a )  That's how it currently behaves on your Mac, so that's what I, too, should be seeing? Or…

( b )  That's how it should work, but doesn't?

• Level 5*

To clarify your post, when you say "Double-clicking on an image should behave just like double-clicking on all other EN attachments," are you saying that:

( a )  That's how it currently behaves on your Mac, so that's what I, too, should be seeing? Or…

( b )  That's how it should work, but doesn't?

Sorry, I see how that could be read either way.

The answer:  ( B) -- double-clicking on an image starts Presentation Mode for  me, just like you.

But, IMO, it should NOT.

When I double-click on PDFs, or Word docs, or Excel docs attached to EN, they open in the default OS app.

I'll update my above post to clarify.

• Level 5*

...and just to add to the discussion,  if I doubleclick on an image in EN Windows,  it opens in the OS app that manages images,  not in Presentation mode...

Great!  That's how EN Mac should, but does NOT, behave.

• Like 2

I agree with this completely - I hate presentation mode! I double-click on images without thinking, expecting them to open in preview, and instead I'm stuck in presentation mode. Then I have to leave presentation mode and control-click on the image. A bunch of steps and a lot of frustration to do what should be accomplished by a double click. This should be an option that can be toggled on & off.

• Like 2

totally agree.  I have just downloaded the new Evernote on my new mac and previously it was on a windows machine.  I HATE HATE HATE the fact that when you double click on the image in Evernote it automatically defaults to Presentation Mode.  I am used to macs and everywhere else in a mac if you double click on an image, pdf etc it opens in Preview.  Therefore it is unnecessarily frustrating to have to remember to control click on the image to bring up a menu where you can click to open it in Preview.  I totally concur with the above poster that it NEEDS to be an option that you can toggle on and off and the default should be OFF.

• Level 5*

Perhaps there is hope.  I suspect Evernote has had their hands full with a number of major bugs starting with the Ver 6.0 release, while at the same time trying to roll out more Work Chat features.  There are actually quite a few of "lesser" bugs that have been pending for a while.  Hopefully with the release of Ver 6.0.13 they can concentrate on some of these other bugs.

Here's a radical thought.  Stop creating new features nobody's asking for and fix stuff that is increasingly making EN suck.  This is one of those things.  Why would I pay for Premium to view an image in my note?  OneNote is beginning to beckon...

• Level 5*
On 5/20/2015 at 7:12 PM, jane5ok said:

I HATE HATE HATE the fact that when you double click on the image in Evernote it automatically defaults to Presentation Mode.

May I suggest that you, and everyone who doesn't like this behavior to do the following:

1. Post your complaint in the latest EN Mac release thread:  EN Mac 6.3 Update
  2. Complete the survey at Participate in the Evernote Editor Survey!

Double clicking an image to open it in Presentation mode is the expected behavior of the application and is not a bug. Double Clicking any image in a note will open it in Presentation Mode, this is by design.

If you would like to submit this as a feature request, you can do so in the Mac Product Feedback thread by following the steps in the thread linked below:

Let me know if y'all have any questions.

I know this issue only has two votes, but there must be some way we can get the mac team to recognise that this "feature" is not worth having if you're only paying for middle tier of Evernote rather than the premium package. On OSX, I only want to open the attachment (often a PDF) without it having me go into presentation mode. 

I know it sounds like such a minor issue, but it is driving me absolutely crazy every time I want to open something. I still cannot believe this hasn't been made optional in the settings yet. 

• Like 2

Not to mention there is the "works as expected" feature that presentation mode launches when a checkbox is double-clicked (because checkboxes are technically images as rendered in a note). This is my biggest headache in using Evernote, as I use checkboxes all the time and switch focus between windows all the time.

I have been paying for Evernote for years. I have learned the following:

1. I never exceed the amount of data I would get in a free account
  2. I am plagued by many unresolved issues - losing formatting, losing data, "stuck" notes, etc...
  3. I am constantly being plagued by features I don't want (I don't think anyone in a clear state of mind would want), that I can't disable and that are making Evernote close to useless. Examples are:
    1. Presentation mode - I must have it activated as a demo feature for like 27th time! It has already been demoed to me and I have decided that it is a useless and not very thought through feature. Would you please stop annoying me with it?
    2. OCR of the uploaded pictures - when I search my evernote, I expect to get hits from the text I have written, not some BS the Evernote has decoded on one of my pictures. This makes searching for stuff even more complicated than before. This is a prime example of a "useless feature". I would understand switching it on manually for certain pictures. But trying to index every picture in my notebook is a plain nonsense that does not help anyone.
    3. All the other features nobody would touch with a bargepole. Chat? Are you feeling alright? Concierge? Why would I need it? If you have spent enough time working on core features, you wouldn't have me here complaining about nonsense you have added for no clear reason....
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, BadEvernote said:

I have been paying for Evernote for years. I have learned the following:

1. I never exceed the amount of data I would get in a free account
  2. I am plagued by many unresolved issues - losing formatting, losing data, "stuck" notes, etc...
  3. I am constantly being plagued by features I don't want (I don't think anyone in a clear state of mind would want), that I can't disable and that are making Evernote close to useless. Examples are:
    1. Presentation mode - I must have it activated as a demo feature for like 27th time! It has already been demoed to me and I have decided that it is a useless and not very thought through feature. Would you please stop annoying me with it?
    2. OCR of the uploaded pictures - when I search my evernote, I expect to get hits from the text I have written, not some BS the Evernote has decoded on one of my pictures. This makes searching for stuff even more complicated than before. This is a prime example of a "useless feature". I would understand switching it on manually for certain pictures. But trying to index every picture in my notebook is a plain nonsense that does not help anyone.
    3. All the other features nobody would touch with a bargepole. Chat? Are you feeling alright? Concierge? Why would I need it? If you have spent enough time working on core features, you wouldn't have me here complaining about nonsense you have added for no clear reason....

What he said.

This thread is approaching 2 years old (I started it), and we still don't even have the option to disable presentation mode.

I, too, have been paying for Evernote for years. The Mac client has years-old bugs that have never been fixed.

The developers clearly care nothing about what users want or need.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, soundsgoodtome said:

What he said.

This thread is approaching 2 years old (I started it), and we still don't even have the option to disable presentation mode.

I, too, have been paying for Evernote for years. The Mac client has years-old bugs that have never been fixed.

The developers clearly care nothing about what users want or need.

One way of identifying what "user's want or need" is the vote count - upper left corner of the request.  This request has only 8 votes

What process are you using to identify "what user's want or need" and how do you determine priority.

• Like 1

The resurgence of this thread prompted me to re-activate my account.  

I finally gave gave up with Evernote 6 months ago and just used the notes app on my apple kit.  It doesn't do as much, but it's free and it just works.  

Its a shame.  I really wanted to support the underdog but they just won't listen :(

I also gave up on Evernote.  Not only was presentation mode NEVER fixed their payment system could not accept my payment and nobody could fix that either (To their credit they gave me one year but the payment issue never got fixed).  I searched around and found that there is a programme called DevonThink Pro that is much better, works efficiently, does not require an annual payment and does all (and more) than I need.  I have been a happy DTP user ever since and don't even bother with Evernote.  So they have lost this 'customer'.

• Level 5*
On 4/5/2020 at 6:07 AM, dvdd said:

Bump, still issues about this after years, I misclick/short this at least twice a week

Please don't bump old threads - after 4 years' silence and 10 votes this doesn't look like an issue that gives lots of folks sleepless nights...  maybe the new editor (coming 'later' this year) will fix it...

• Confused 1
On 4/7/2020 at 1:25 AM, gazumped said:

Please don't bump old threads - after 4 years' silence and 10 votes this doesn't look like an issue that gives lots of folks sleepless nights...  maybe the new editor (coming 'later' this year) will fix it...

Please don't tell other people what to bump and what not to bump. And please don't make generalized assumptions about what issues or features other people care about. 

There are numerous issues that many of us continue to care deeply about. But since the Evernote team ignores the majority of our requests and bug reports, some of us have simply grown tired of posting about them since our posts appear to fall upon deaf ears. Rest assured: Presentation mode remains a MAJOR annoyance.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I sit corrected: I thought bumping posts was a breach of the Forum Code of Conduct but the current (?) undated version I found here - https://discussion.evernote.com/guidelines/ doesn't now mention it.  Bumping does however waste the time of the volunteer responders around here and doesn't necessarily get noticed by anyone else amidst the other comments being posted. Still - free country; your dime - have at it....

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We have a voting tool to support any issue.

Bumping IMHO shows a lack of respect for other users, those who search assistance or exchange, or those willing and able to give it. It does not add any new or relevant information to an issue, and just creates digital noise and clutter.

Maybe we should "bump" this further to have the forum rules set clear in this aspect.

• Confused 1