• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
Rob van Vliet

Premium upload limit to 4GB

My premium account still shows 1GB.  Can't comment on the Business account.  Can you provide links to these reports?  I haven't seen anything myself.

I see reports floating around that the upload limit for Premium and Business has been increased to 4GB / month. Can anyone confirm? 

I did hear from a reliable source (Evernote employee) that it's true.  As per usual, would be nice if EN publicly confirmed.

My premium account shows 1gb, but the change is official, apparently. I think it will depend a great deal on logging in/out, or quota turnovers in order to kick in. 

My premium account shows 1gb, but the change is official, apparently. I think it will depend a great deal on logging in/out, or quota turnovers in order to kick in.

Yes, maybe the extra gigs don't show up until the current monthly upload refreshes. That would explain why George Burdell's shows 4 & many/most of the rest of us are still showing 1.

It is interesting that they will expand this to 4GB/month while they still have the scaling problem.  I'm not inclined to put much into the service until that has been solved.  I'm not sure what I would do with the extra storage even then unless I start dumping photos into it.

• Like 2

It is interesting that they will expand this to 4GB/month while they still have the scaling problem. I'm not inclined to put much into the service until that has been solved. I'm not sure what I would do with the extra storage even then unless I start dumping photos into it.

I posed this to the employee who confirmed the upload increase. A few years ago, I would have jumped up & down about this increase. But since the Windows & iOS clients have been totally unusable for me with my "big" account for at least a year and a half, I don't see how this is a benefit. Unless EN has been revamping their system & will be announcing a new system that does not have the scaling issue.

Having said all that, based upon my own personal experience, I think most users would be very hard pressed to use anywhere near this amount. It is good for when you're new & loading in a lot of things. But on a regular basis, even I would have a tough time using more than a single gig, two at most.

It's kind of a "let them eat cake" thing, IMO.

It would be great to see a new robust system rolled out but I'm not optimistic.  To me it sounds like a way to show competitive parity with some of the other services out there without having to invest much since it is doubtful that many would actually use that upload amount.  Marketing benefit for little cost.

• Like 2

It is possible this is one part of a larger plan that might include performance improvements for large databases. Improving performance, though, requires considerably more human resources than pushing out an upgrade for quota. Why not do the quota now while the engineers are plugging away on performance improvements and other related and needed enhancements?

This is, of course, the optimistic position. 
Realistically I suspect this was pushed now as a way to remain/appear competitive in the cloud storage wars.

Pessimistically, well.... there's a lot to say.  

• Like 1

It is interesting that they will expand this to 4GB/month while they still have the scaling problem.  I'm not inclined to put much into the service until that has been solved.  I'm not sure what I would do with the extra storage even then unless I start dumping photos into it.

I agree. Solve the scalability problem first.

A larger cart needs a stronger & heavier horse (aka green elephant).

post-53124-0-84947400-1410024267_thumb.j

• Like 4

My take is that the use case is for users who maintain and edit large attachments with some frequency. That burns up your upload allowance while not really affecting your overall capacity. Most people don't have that use case, at a guess, but it does handle cases that pop up in the forums (and I'd guess that they have input from CS on this as well), and it's also a nice little checkbox i the feature list. I think it also covers those folks who get Evernote and go into a mad frenzy of scanning everything in sight, and dumping their photo collections into the pile. Again, another burst covering facility. But overall, probably not going to affect many people most of the time.

Yes, maybe the extra gigs don't show up until the current monthly upload refreshes. That would explain why George Burdell's shows 4 & many/most of the rest of us are still showing 1.

I am a premium user. My upload refresh is started two day ago but my current monthly upload shows 1Gb yet.

I am a premium user. My upload refresh is started two day ago but my current monthly upload shows 1Gb yet.

My quota JUST reset today and I now have 4gb. Had 1gb prior to that. I'm sure your 4gb will come, unfortunate timing though with your renewal date :(. That being said, I haven't been clamouring for 4gb of quota so I wasn't in a hurry for my "upgrade". 

• Like 1

I'm still at 1GB.

Due to the scalability problems with a large Evernote database, I have been forced to downsize my usage substantially and rely on other programs for my data. So even if the upgrade eventually comes through, it won't impact my shrinking  usage of Evernote. 

I contacted support and they, indeed, confirmed 4Gb thing. Honestly, doesn't matter for me, if I will upload 4Gb per month to Evernote, my local database will be crawling even on the super-computer.

What I am interested to see is... the official statement. What else is updated, apart from 4Gb. Max size of one note? Maximum number of notebook? What about free accounts and 60Mb limit, is it up too?

It is a rather strange move, to substantially increase the monthly upload limit and not tell their customers... I haven't received any emails from Evernote about that, the web site still shows... nothing, really. Go to https://evernote.com/premium/ and you will find NO information. Like this one:

Quote: "Notes are four times larger so you can pack Evernote with large files and hi-res images."

Four times larger than what? How much is it?

There used to be a page where one can compare the packages, not anymore.

Quote: "Notes are four times larger so you can pack Evernote with large files and hi-res images."

I think what they mean here is that, compared to free users, your maximum note size is 4X larger. Premium users can create notes up to 25mb, while premium and business users can create notes up to 100mb, or 4X the size of a free user.

Here are the limits for various tiers of Evernote service:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23283158

granted, I am routinely puzzled at the opaqueness and sparseness of pre-sale marketing material. Why is this relegated to the knowledge base, which I see as largely a post-sale resource. Some of these things are highly desirable features or changes and should be put front and centre on pre-sale marketing, not relegated to a knowledge base article!

I think what they mean here is that, compared to free users, your maximum note size is 4X larger. Premium users can create notes up to 25mb, while premium and business users can create notes up to 100mb, or 4X the size of a free user.

Here are the limits for various tiers of Evernote service:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23283158

granted, I am routinely puzzled at the opaqueness and sparseness of pre-sale marketing material. Why is this relegated to the knowledge base, which I see as largely a post-sale resource. Some of these things are highly desirable features or changes and should be put front and centre on pre-sale marketing, not relegated to a knowledge base article!

This is precisely my point. I know what advantages Premium subscription gives me. But if I were a Free user, Premium upgrade page does very little to convince me to upgrade. Again, for a beginner user, it is not obvious what single note size limit IS to calculate what 4X larger :-) This information is so obscure and located in a place nobody would look :-)

I am, however, a bit disappointed that (according to the KB) they did not increase the quota for free users. Would be really nice if they would at least double the quota, instead of giving 4X quota to Premium. Honestly, I do not know anyone who would use 4Gb uploads per month. I could make a greate use of the 4Gb quota ONLY if I can have selective sync, i.e. leave some notebooks entirely on the server, without syncronizing them locally. Like Dropbox does. I could then upload some important and large documents, without killing local EV performance. Until then, it is just a nice gesture.

Can't yo uupload RAW files to Flickr? 1tb of free storage over there in YAHOO! land. 

Yeah,  I use Flickr,  but I'm getting involved with a project that will sell photographs and I was looking into somewhere to backup the originals before they're photoshopped madly..

• Like 1