Changes to notes not saving

Anyone else have trouble with Evernote not saving changes to notes? This has been happening to me off and on all day today. If anyone knows why this is happening and if there is anything I can do to stop it please let me know. Very frustrated - spent a large portion of my day trying to sync devices, locate notes with changes, etc. thank you.

• Thanks 1

Thank you! I don't understand what you mean by "client". I use Evernote Premium. I would change the content of a note - delete, add, edit, whatever and close Evernote. Then reopen it and the change wasn't there. That help?

• Level 5*

Thank you! I don't understand what you mean by "client". I use Evernote Premium. I would change the content of a note - delete, add, edit, whatever and close Evernote. Then reopen it and the change wasn't there. That help?

Client = application (on Mac, Windows, Android, the Web, etc.). Which one are you using?

Are you syncing? Are you moving between computers/devices?

• Level 5*

You realise there's a fourth device?  Each one of your devices has to sync back to the Evernote server to get the latest version of a note,  allow you to make changes,  then sync again to send those changes to the server.  Once that device has synced,  your other devices will be able to sync and get that version of the note so that you can view or edit it.  Using Evernote isn't like receiving the same channel on your TV screen and your laptop - you have to send back any changes you make so the server can send them out to your other devices.

*Blushing now* That explains the argument I had with my laptop a few days ago...

You realise there's a fourth device? Each one of your devices has to sync back to the Evernote server to get the latest version of a note, allow you to make changes, then sync again to send those changes to the server. Once that device has synced, your other devices will be able to sync and get that version of the note so that you can view or edit it. Using Evernote isn't like receiving the same channel on your TV screen and your laptop - you have to send back any changes you make so the server can send them out to your other devices.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I,m having the same save problem reported in feb of this year. Since no one seemed to respond let alone have a solution lets post it again: in my case when I open an existing note or create a new one and enter new text Evernote does not save the additions. 

I generally double click to open an existing one and for a new note I either hit the caps lock button or evernote's 'new note'.  

(ps does anyone know how to turn off the caps lock, I hate this and think it too is counter intuitive and generally a nuisance). 

I'm using windows 7 on a laptop and syncing to an android phone.

• Level 5*

Helps to know which Evernote client you're using,  and whether you mean "not saving" in terms of losing the content from the original device,  or not being able to see it on another...

OK we know what client - but really?  You make changes and sync,  and the note is just the same as it started out ???

Yes! I 'synced' after making changes to my note on my ipad. And then went to open it in the computer, synced and the note still didn't show any changes. So I synced a few more times from the Ipad, which still didn't work. I then shut everything down. Still nothing on the computer and when I went back to open evernot on the Ipad, all of the text I had added (several hours worth), was gone!!!!!!!!  I am not using premium. Is there anyway to possibly recover this?!!!!

I am very upset with this. And I think the premium account is too expensive. I would be willing to pay per year what they are charging per month. 

I have been fighting a similar situation today.

I took a snapshot on my Android handset and saved the note.

When I bring up the note on my Win7 client (laptop, chrome app) to edit it and add some URL's, the note is there, but I can not get any of my changes to apply to the note.  The check mark in the toolbar to "finish" the editing is grey and won't click.  There is no other way to force a sync on the client.  

/frustrated

• Level 5*

Losing track of how many people are involved in this conversation now.  Are we all clear that notes taken on one client device - a tablet or a phone or a PC - will not be changed on another,  unless you sync successfully on the first device after making any changes,  and then again on the second device before trying to edit?

If you are doing that,  and the changes aren't making it to the second device,  then you need to find out which one is having trouble syncing.  If the changes make it through to the second device but you can't edit some or all of the content,  then that might be due to conflicts in formatting from one device to another.  Try to access the note in another client - like the web version - to see whether you can make changes that stick there.

If you are making changes to a note but they just won't save,  then again try a different client - do any changes to this note save correctly?  That might still be down to the note formatting,  or to some sort of data corruption in that note. Try simplifying or removing formatting,  copying the content to another new note,  or exporting that note to ENEX and re-importing it as a 'new' note.  (NB the export/ import may compromise any note links you have set up involving that note)

Do submit a support ticket if you're having issues - it helps to keep Evernote in the loop.

Hope that covers everyone's queries - if not,  and you're not the OP,  please start a new thread so we can look at issues individually...

• 1 month later...

I've also been having this problem today, though I noticed that the syncing was severely intermittent: if I wait long enough a Sync takes place and everything is OK, but it's incredibly erratic.

I'm not working on my usual Wifi, and internet speed isn't great, so my impression is that Evernote is failing to save or sync in any form with poor connection.

All this talk of servers and syncing is very well, but one would expect not losing your work to be something that 'just happens'... if this is a widespread problem I'm puzzled as to how Evernote ever became so popular.

• Level 5*

I've also been having this problem today, though I noticed that the syncing was severely intermittent: if I wait long enough a Sync takes place and everything is OK, but it's incredibly erratic.

I'm not working on my usual Wifi, and internet speed isn't great, so my impression is that Evernote is failing to save or sync in any form with poor connection.

All this talk of servers and syncing is very well, but one would expect not losing your work to be something that 'just happens'... if this is a widespread problem I'm puzzled as to how Evernote ever became so popular.

Again with the anonymous Evernote client and/ or OS... 

Syncing is something that Evernote has to do to transfer the content of notes from one local device to another.  For the most part it works reasonably well.  If you use a a desktop PC,  which has plenty of permanent storage,  any changes will be saved locally whether or not you sync.  Whenever the device is switched on,  it will sync when it can,  though a bad internet connection obviously isn't going to help.  If you use a mobile device,  which has limited storage,  new notes will be saved in temp storage until the device connects - that's best set to "wifi only" syncing,  because it's usually more reliable than a mobile signal.  If your mobile device doesn't get the chance to sync,  and you're using another device to look at notes,  things can get complicated very quickly because two devices may then be trying to save different copies of the same note. 

"Losing notes" hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far,  but it can happen if something goes wrong with the device or the internet connection.  It's difficult for any software to build in guarantees against that.

• 2 months later...

Anyone else have trouble with Evernote not saving changes to notes? This has been happening to me off and on all day today. If anyone knows why this is happening and if there is anything I can do to stop it please let me know. Very frustrated - spent a large portion of my day trying to sync devices, locate notes with changes, etc. thank you.

I am also having this trouble.  I am on the web version, and in the past, things have gone along just fine.  Today, I can't get anywhere with it. 

I'm suffering from a vicious circle,that is summerized as follows:

1-I download the file.

2-The file is saved in my 'Download' folder.

3-Right after I open evernote and decide to add the page,it gives me list of 2-3 options,including the browser (=Opera here),when I press the button, it redirects me into a blank white window, and appears the message 'the download started'.

4-I go back to 'download' folder, I find ANOTHER file of the same type as the previous.It neither opens in Opera,nor in 'download' folder,nor in evernote.

How to reach an outlet from this circle?

• Level 5*

If you're posting here,  please state what Evernote Client you're using - as in Web / Desktop / Touch / Tablet / Phone,  and which OS you have - Android / iOS / Mac / Windows / WP.

@AprilJeanine - At least you mentioned the web version,  but which OS are you and exactly what are you trying to do and what goes wrong when you try to do it?

@RedWing - If you download a file to your download folder you can add it to evernote by dragging and dropping it onto a note.  I don't understand why you see any links or need to click any browser pages.

• Level 5*

Unfortunately,in my Samsung's 3100,it's hard to talk about drag n'drop..For this reason, I asked this question.

Always good to quote full information when you ask a question,  in order to get an informative answer..  though I still don't understand - how are you 'adding a new page' if you want to add a file?  In my Android GS3 there's a "+" sign in the top menu which gives me a drop-down including 'add file'...

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have the same problem with annotation in Slovak language. If I try to save annotated image on my Evernote Windows client, I get the message "Sorry! The changes could not be saved... ". It is quite annoying because it works my iPad and when I need to modify the note on my PC, it doesn't. I am not sure but it looks to me like a bug in the Evernote client. Moreover,  if I annotate an image on my iPad (in Slovak language) it looks fine until I open this note on my Evernote Windows client - there is a problem with accent characters within the annotation.

• Level 5*

Took me a while to connect the dots,  but there's another thread about annotations where we found that rotating an image somehow 'locked' the content so that once rotated,  further changes don't save,  and that Korean edits had the same problem,  where English did not.  Seems like Slovak might also be affected,  unless you rotated your images before... ?

Well, I cannot remember that I had rotated this image ever (within Evernote). I copped it but no rotated.

Actually, I have been able to edit and save this annotated image (in Windows Evernote Client) until I had restored this note from history (I needed to "go back"). Well I have no idea where is the problem. I will try to edit and save that note at home (on Mac) if it is a problem only on Windows client or not.

• 4 months later...

Hi! New forum user here, been using Evernote since last July.

On a PC and online, Windows 7.

Not sure if this thread is still being updated, but I thought I'd try it rather than starting another one.

The problem I'm having is similar to the ones being described here.

I update a shared note through my PC, I sync it and everything looks fine. When I return to the note the following day, all my updates have disappeared! This is happening very regularly and is causing me big probs with the Boss.

I've tried updating and synching online instead, but still the information has disappeared the following day. It doesn't seem to be happening to my colleagues.

Anything I can try so I can get this fixed?

Many thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi! New forum user here, been using Evernote since last July.

Not sure if this thread is still being updated, but I thought I'd try it rather than starting another one.

The problem I'm having is similar to the ones being described here.

I update a shared note through my PC, I sync it and everything looks fine. When I return to the note the following day, all my updates have disappeared! This is happening very regularly and is causing me big probs with the Boss.

I've tried updating and synching online instead, but still the information has disappeared the following day. It doesn't seem to be happening to my colleagues.

Anything I can try so I can get this fixed?

Many thanks!

Hi.  You say this is a shared note - how many people have access to it,  and are they all using their own copy of on different workstations?  How many copies of the note do you have open when you're editing?  Just the web,  or just the PC?  Or both at the same time?

Basically this sounds like a sync error - your updated version of the note is getting overwritten by another -older- copy of the same note after you save your changes.  If you're a premium subscriber you may even find your updates in the note history,  or in a 'conflicting changes' notebook you didn't know you had.

Are you using a Windows system,  or Mac?

• Level 5*

Try this as a test:

1. Using EN Win, update a Note in the Shared NB, and sync.
  2. Verify the sync'd changes using EN Web client at Evernote.com
  3. Contact the NB owner immediately, or one of your colleagues, and ask them to verify the changes you made

Let us know what happened.

Try this as a test:

1. Using EN Win, update a Note in the Shared NB, and sync.
  2. Verify the sync'd changes using EN Web client at Evernote.com
  3. Contact the NB owner immediately, or one of your colleagues, and ask them to verify the changes you made

Let us know what happened.

Gazumped, I am on Windows 7, mentioned in my first post, as I know it's important when troubleshooting :)

So, I did the test above. Three of my colleagues see the changes I made, one cannot.

Everyone has synched, including the person who can't see my changes - she still can't see them.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

• Level 5*

Sorry I missed that you stated Win 7 in your first post.  If your colleague has permissions set to edit notes in that notebook,  ask her to add something -a word or two-  to a note in that notebook and then sync.  See whether you can see her comment,  and if that triggers the missing note to appear.  It's strange that only one person has one missing note...

• Level 5*

So, I did the test above. Three of my colleagues see the changes I made, one cannot.

Everyone has synched, including the person who can't see my changes - she still can't see them.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

This is indeed strange behavior.  I'm not sure, but things somewhat point to a problem with sharing.

I know this is a PITA, but you might need to ask the NB owner to stop sharing on this NB, sign out of EN, restart his/her PC, sign back in to EN, and reshare the NB.

OR, as a quick test, the owner could share another NB to see if it works OK with you making updates.

Thanks guys!

So, my colleague with the missing text on the note. When she added new text and synched, the missing text appeared on her note and nothing disappeared. The information I entered on Monday is still showing... It's a real mystery!

The notebook's owner isn't around at the moment, but I will ask her to try the suggestion when she's here. It's all very strange.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I am having the same problem on a Blackberry Q10 using version 10.3.2.2339 of the operating system. The problem seems to have developed recently, perhaps after a phone operating system upgrade. By the way,I am using v. 5.5.0.515 of Evernote.

Any suggestions?

I am having the problem that when I open a file in Evernote on my computer, and work on the file or spread sheet on my computer, Evernote will not save changes made to the file.  I can click on save and when I close it and come back there's no saved work.  This happened after the most recent upgrade. 

• Level 5*

I am having the problem that when I open a file in Evernote on my computer, and work on the file or spread sheet on my computer, Evernote will not save changes made to the file.  I can click on save and when I close it and come back there's no saved work.  This happened after the most recent upgrade. 

Hi.  When you save the changes,  where are they saved?  Check the folder path.  - And please confirm your OS.

• 1 year later...

Hi I'm using the free edition client on my Win 64bit machine and was happily saving notes well within my monthly limit and now it has stopped saving notes and wants me to upgrade

I guess this might be the end of the road for Evernote?

• Level 5*
On 07/08/2017 at 3:32 PM, RichB97 said:

Hi I'm using the free edition client on my Win 64bit machine and was happily saving notes well within my monthly limit and now it has stopped saving notes and wants me to upgrade

I guess this might be the end of the road for Evernote?

It might be the end of the road for your monthly limit.  What's the exact error message you see?

• 2 years later...
On 8/24/2014 at 4:44 PM, gazumped said:

OK we know what client - but really?  You make changes and sync,  and the note is just the same as it started out ???

Having the same problem, I think. Maybe.  Or at least a similar problem.  On Android anyway, not web client.  If I make changes to a note's tags, and then click the arrow to go back (since there's no "save" button), all tag changes I made will disappear.  I think I'll have to record my screen and submit it, I guess....I don't know, I'm really tired of uninstalling and reinstalling EN on my phone, it takes a long, looong time to reinstall/reindex all my notes.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Echoreflection said:

If I make changes to a note's tags, and then click the arrow to go back (since there's no "save" button), all tag changes I made will disappear.

Hi.  Top left of your Android screen there should be a green tick (check mark) after you make a change to the content.  Tap the tick and it's a left-arrow,  tap again and you're back to your note index with that change saved.  If you're doing something different,  you are not saving the note after editing it.

7 hours ago, Echoreflection said:

I'm really tired of uninstalling and reinstalling EN on my phone, it takes a long, looong time to reinstall/reindex all my notes.

Evernote doesn't reinstall or reindex notes.  If you reinstall the app and log in,  it will check in with the server and download a search index from there.  If you don't have a solid network connection that could take some time,  but - unless you opted for lots of notes to be 'offline searchable' - your entire notes database will not be stored permanently on the phone.

On 7/13/2020 at 2:22 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Top left of your Android screen there should be a green tick (check mark) after you make a change to the content.  Tap the tick and it's a left-arrow,  tap again and you're back to your note index with that change saved.  If you're doing something different,  you are not saving the note after editing it.

Evernote doesn't reinstall or reindex notes.  If you reinstall the app and log in,  it will check in with the server and download a search index from there.  If you don't have a solid network connection that could take some time,  but - unless you opted for lots of notes to be 'offline searchable' - your entire notes database will not be stored permanently on the phone.

You're right, it doesn't take that long, but it takes more time than it "should".  Maybe I'll uninstall and reinstall and time the process so I can have some data to add some weight to my experience.  Of course, "long time" is a matter of opinion/perception...

But the issue about tags not being saved is "legit", regardless of length of time it takes for notes to populate on a fresh install.  I will try to record that as well, for the sake of data-substantiation.

• Like 1