Evernote has TERRIBLE LAG these days!

I currently have 10.5K notes. Nowadays, even if I create a new note (on Win 10 desktop), it will start freezing and showing the "Not Responding" sign until 20 seconds later. Same goes if I edit existing notes after typing a few sentences. 

I have already flushed and reinstalled Evernote, but still same issue. Is there any way to optimize my enex file so it doesn't lag anymore?

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

I'm not experiencing lag problems with Mac/iPad   
My use is mostly online

You're posting in the General Discussions forum.   Is this a Windows issue?

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
58 minutes ago, Titus said:

I currently have 10.5K notes. Nowadays, even if I create a new note (on Win 10 desktop), it will start freezing and showing the "Not Responding" sign until 20 seconds later. Same goes if I edit existing notes after typing a few sentences. 

I have already flushed and reinstalled Evernote, but still same issue. Is there any way to optimize my enex file so it doesn't lag anymore?

There are other posts in the forums with some recommendations of things to do that help a little bit.  I found what worked best for me was an SSD drive.  Not only does EN run faster, everything does.  Haven't had a response time issue since I converted, at almost 47k notes now. 

It may be a hardware solution to a software problem, but hey..  These days a 500 GB internal SSD drive goes for less than a $100.  I spent $250 for 240 GB back in 2013.  As long as you don't have one of those devices that requires 25 steps to get to the hard drive.  FWIW.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Titus said:

I'm running on a Samsung 970 PRO that has 3500MB/s read speed, so this doesn't make any sense at all..

Don’t know what to tell you other than EN seems to be disk constrained and an SSD helps in my experience.  I am running a 7 year old Lenovo in a docking station with a couple monitors, no speed issues.  I’m reasonably sure without the SSD I would have had to upgrade by now. YMMV. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, CalS said:

what worked best for me was an SSD drive.  Not only does EN run faster, everything does

DITTO...That's been my experience also.  Prior to upgrading my laptop a couple of years ago I would quite frequently clean stuff up, via Hold 'CTRL' key dwn then click help from menu, then Optimize Database etc, which would work but only for a couple of weeks.

When searching EN Windows Forums on 'Performance' @Titus I found the 6th search result "Looking for Evernote documentation: Diagnosing and fixing Evernote performance problems?" to be useful

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Running EN on an 8 year old PC, off an SSD. No lags, no issues.

In addition to the helpful tips here in the forum, I would check with the Windows task manager what is going on. High CPU load, RAM usage, background processes. A overly ambitious antivirus check can ruin your day ....

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Running EN on an 8 year old PC, off an SSD. No lags, no issues.

In addition to the helpful tips here in the forum, I would check with the Windows task manager what is going on. High CPU load, RAM usage, background processes. A overly ambitious antivirus check can ruin your day ....

Yeah, I shut down/block all the superfluous Microsoft stuff I can. Things like file indexing and the rest.  Amazing how much disk and cycles those things use. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I run Task Manager all the time (helps my paranoia) and I can confirm that editing or adding a new note slams Evernote to the top of my disk usage chart at (when I just tried it) up 10MB/s traffic as against its normal 0.0-0.1.  There's no obvious change in memory or CPU scores.  Currently running just shy of 50k notes,  and there is a distracting pause when I'm recording or reviewing notes which can last several seconds.  I'm waiting on memory and SSD upgrades to see whether more available resources will help.  And before anyone asks I've already tried all the variations on syncs / options / rebuilds / Windows update blocs ever featured in these pages!  Still waiting for that magic update that fixes everything...  🤞

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
31 minutes ago, gazumped said:

adding a new note slams Evernote to the top of my disk usage chart at (when I just tried it) up 10MB/s traffic as against its normal 0.0-0.1. 

But for how long? If it's a temporary spike, then not a big problem, I'd think...

Remember, opening a new note, if I recall @dcon's notes,, means spinning up one of more of the Evernote subprocesses, which might be a factor. You could dig into things somewhat more deeply than Task Manager using SysInternal's ProcMon tool.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

But for how long?

That would vary - mostly it's a vaguely annoying but relatively minor few seconds;  occasionally it's 30-300 seconds...  which is a concern; hence the system upgrade...

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Titus said:

am I the only one still facing this issue? It's the same on different desktops/laptop configs too ☹️ 

Nope - still working around frustrating random glitches here too.