Traveller1

Photo backup service —how best to use Evernote?

I would like advice on using EN as a photo backup service. Is there anyone who is using EN in this way? I have read several dated discussions of this topic, but none that answered my questions.

Background: I have ~90,000 photos and am a premium user. I use a Macbook Air. I would like to store all my existing photos on EN. Also automatically backup all new photos. With a 10gb limit this will take time, but I am not in a hurry.

I do use Flickr, but there have been a few problems with flick recently, also flick does not backup RAW photos, of which I take many.

By asking, I am not trying to avoid thinking for myself. I have though of how best to do—I just want to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

1 minute ago, Traveller1 said:

I would like advice on using EN as a photo backup service.

Which device/platform?  I use a Mac.

I can use an import folder; any files moved there are imported into Evernote and become a note.

I can use a script to automatically assign title, tags, notebook, ...

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Thanks DT,

I was thinking of a folder approach. Can you explain more about a script for automatically adding "title, tags, notebook". Do you mean Automator?

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Which device/platform?  I use a Mac.

I can use an import folder; any files moved there are imported into Evernote and become a note.

I can use a script to automatically assign title, tags, notebook, ...

7 minutes ago, Traveller1 said:

I was thinking of a folder approach. Can you explain more about a script for automatically adding "title, tags, notebook". Do you mean Automator?

It's actually AppleScript, something like  tell application "Evernote" to set title of theNote to .....

Evernote doesn't support folders, just Notebooks and Tags

What kind of folder structure were you thinking of?

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Applescript - ok. Need to relearn.

I am thinking of a separate notebook for photo backup, with notes for each group of photos, but the 200mb limit for each note will be a problem.

12 hours ago, Traveller1 said:

I am thinking of a separate notebook for photo backup, with notes for each group of photos, but the 200mb limit for each note will be a problem.

Any reason not to have single photo notes?  They can easily be grouped by tag or title.

>>The number of notes is limited to 100,000. I have 90,000+ photos. Plus 3,000 'normal' notes. So this would leave me with little room for expansion.

Good point.

It's possible to merge notes after import.  You can select the group, and click merge

Scripting can also do consolidation.

The number of notes is limited to 100,000. I have 90,000+ photos. Plus 3,000 'normal' notes. So this would leave me with little room for expansion.

That is an excellent point. Perhaps, auto upload and once a month I sit down and organise my EN photos.

Can you tell me a little more about how you use Applescript? Are there pre-written files somewhere or did you create your own? Assume I am a complete dunce at this.

Just now, Traveller1 said:

That is an excellent point. Perhaps, auto upload and once a month I sit down and organise my EN photos.

Can you tell me a little more about how you use Applescript? Are there pre-written files somewhere or did you create your own? Assume I am a complete dunce at this.

I can help you with  writing scripts.  I write my own, mostly copying from examples on the internet.

I posted some documentation at 

An idea for notesspacer.png191899718_ScreenShot2019-06-03at08_17_50.thumb.png.265d4a67735555dcc52d8eb162bb266b.png

I like to use a table to contain the photos
It restricts the image size, and leaves room for notes

25 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I can see the benefit, but I would prefer full size backup.

I just use an external hard drive for photo backup,  and Lightroom (other photo indexing apps are available) to find themes and tags.  I needed recently to find a picture of a steam engine I had taken,  and had tagged it with all sorts of keywords that didn't help me find the one picture I actually wanted.  Turns out Lightroom recognises subjects and searching for 'train' (as opposed to 'beach' or 'face') showed me thumbnails of all the railway pictures,  including that one.

9 hours ago, Traveller1 said:

I can see the benefit, but I would prefer full size backup.

I should have been clearer. 

This has no effect on the backup photo file size
I just want a simple way to display and access the backup photo's; so I use the table, image,  notes, ...

By default, you just get a list of filenames.1182032655_ScreenShot2019-06-03at07_27_27.png.ffffd3cbe6ddbff8a20ea5ec79db08b6.png

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

I just use an external hard drive for photo backup,  and Lightroom (other photo indexing apps are available) to find themes and tags.

I agree.  Evernote is the last place I would consider putting a raw photo collection, especially 90K worth.  Sure you can attach a raw file but you would need to include a pretty good description of the photo, or many tags or also attach a jpg so you would know what the picture is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

I just use an external hard drive for photo backup, 

I use an external SSD drive for photo storage and that is synced to a cloud service for backup.  Being a Windows user I can tag the photos with things like place and person(s).  I do my best titling the photos with date - people/place/whatever.  Unfortunately Windows file tags don't make the journey to the cloud or other photo apps, so to ease access on my phone via the cloud app I use summary folders (also helps with sharing).  But I've only got about 7000 pics.  FWIW.