Evernote for Windows Update Required

Krunoslav

Idea

I just got an email that is about this evernote announcement: 

I am using version 6.5.4 precisely because it is more secure for work. After that version, features are missing or a broken, bugs on every corner. Evernote, are you really forcing us to update to new versions that are still not stable? Really? 

30 replies to this idea

I've been working on this off and on for the past couple of days since the notification of update requirement (ha, productivity time :) It's been annoying, but I've learned a few things, and I think my EN may actually be working better now).  I posted some additional details and observations on another thread.

In summary, yes, 6.7.6 seems to be working nicely for me as well, but I went through some additional steps with it, essentially completely removing, restarting, reinstalling, restarting and re-syncing the database.

More details here on Dave's thread for anyone following along and interested in a little more info on my observations and adjustments.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:40 PM, gazumped said:

Good Question can you tell me if we have  the following functionality in a newer version as I am still using  6.7.4.5741.exe

Easily Scroll note without scrolling PDF's 
Ability to drag PDFs to Gmail and other applications. (a deal breaker) 
Ability to drag PDFs to other Evernote windows. (a deal breaker) 
Double click a FDF and view in my system viewer. 

10 minutes ago, CalS said:

For whatever reason(s), I don't think a 6.14 GA topic was created.

I think they slip out unannounced when they know they can't in all honesty trumpet any new features, in the full knowledge that the problems reported in the previous beta still remain.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, xaa said:

I cannot find the 6.14 GA topic on the forum. Am I missing it or Evernote just found a new way to lost us a bit more by hidding deeper the (very long) list of complains coming on every release since 6.4 (or since the CEO change in 2016 if you prefer ;)) ? hmm

For whatever reason(s), I don't think a 6.14 GA topic was created.

On 8/15/2018 at 3:48 PM, gazumped said:

If anyone is interested,  there's a 6.14 GA version around now - check for updates in Evernote > Help.  There's no release thread yet - it looks like a cosmetic retread of the beta with the new branding. 

I cannot find the 6.14 GA topic on the forum. Am I missing it or Evernote just found a new way to lost us a bit more by hidding deeper the (very long) list of complains coming on every release since 6.4 (or since the CEO change in 2016 if you prefer ;)) ? hmm

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

If anyone is interested,  there's a 6.14 GA version around now - check for updates in Evernote > Help.  There's no release thread yet - it looks like a cosmetic retread of the beta with the new branding. 

And dictionary is still broke in it.  This happened once before as I recall, forget what the fix was.

• Level 5*

How's everyone doing after updating?
I learned a few things during my troubleshooting off and on over a few days last week after getting locked out of 6.5.4.
I posted a few notes here on this other thread going over a general process that really cleaned up a relatively unusable installation of 6.13.14 on one of my Windows machines.  It had me really frustrated and concerned over the weekend.

Still working through both 6.7.6 and 6.13.14, feeling things out, but both are working pretty well.
I'm a stickler for not having my stuff messed with (forced/surprise/accidental smartphone updates, anyone?), but have to say, I think each of these installations of Evernote is working better now than before on 6.5.4.  Snappy searches, smooth operation.  Have a look here if you're having any general usability issues, like slow performance or lock-ups.

On 8/10/2018 at 9:46 AM, Krunoslav said:

... I can't believe this geniuses are forcing users to use products that they broke and force us to upgrade now. You can't make this stuff up. Jeez. What ***** storm. And off course no way to reach the guy who is forcing this upgrade. ...

Fully agree with this.

Evernote Team. You are really testing us. I am on the way to go away. This is to much for me. Sorry. 

5 hours ago, msgvb said:

@AndreasM and @Ellsinore -- which versions are you guys running, and are things stable for you at this point, or are you struggling with features and usability issues?

I've got 6.7.6.  It is stable as far as I've been able to tell, but I've not used it much since the "upgrade" as I'm working on replacing it.  

18 hours ago, Ellsinore said:

Pile of **** is exactly right.  There was a REASON I was using an old version and that hasn't changed.  Now I've had to "upgrade" to just use the stupid thing.  Downgrade is more like it.  

Thirty seconds and I'm ready to just uninstall it and spend the next month implementing a new way to organize my research.  Tons of word processing documents would be better -- at least I could have some basic control over those.  And a search in Windows Explorer is exponentially faster than searching in Evernote.  All this time I thought it was my old computer, but having finally managed to replace it, I now know it really is a problem with Evernote.  On the other hand, I get a lot of housework done while waiting.  

I had suspended trying to find a replacement because reverting to an older version was working just fine.  Apparently, that wasn't good enough for Evernote and, frankly, I'm not buying the "security risk" *****.  There's been too much messing around, failure to listen to users, and hiding the ball on the part of TPTB for me to believe anything they say at this point.  This "required" version is *****, too many people weren't using it, so they came up with a way to make it happen.  

At this point, Evernote should be paying us.  

I'm a paying user and would love to sue for the stress that this has caused.. I've been using 6.7.4.5741 which was recommended to me by Evernote after problems with newer versions. I got on this ship with the promise it would be good for a 100 years. I look like a fool now and I'm paying for the privilege. Why will they no listen to their biggest uses???  I'm sure we would be happy to stay and recommend evernote to others if they stopped F**king around with existing features and concentrated on fixing bugs above new features nobody needs. 

I agree that something needs to be done on the stability front and that there should be a more direct line of discussion and acknowledgement on subscriber feedback.

@AndreasM and @Ellsinore -- which versions are you guys running, and are things stable for you at this point, or are you struggling with features and usability issues?

For me, I've been back and forth.  The first night, I also found out the hard way that I was being forced to upgrade.  I've never liked this, not with any software platform or device.  I'm currently in mixed environments.  On one machine, I'm running 6.7.6, and on another, it's 6.13.14.  I had *serious* reliability problems with 6.13.14.  So far. 6.7.6 seems okay, but I'm not a fan of the note edge padding, and that's all I've notices so far in my workflow, granted, limited use.  I gather that's for the new tables.  Have to say, the "new" table feature is kinda of cool.

The 6.13.14 experience for me is what got me seriously #$%* off.  It was a wreck on one of my machines that's an otherwise nice performer.  I spent a lot of time over the past few days removing, reinstalling and testing on two different machines.  6.7.6 is working really well.  Tomorrow I will see if the complete RR&RS (remove reinstall and resync) of 6.13.14 has helped with the frequent lock-ups, sending it into fits of "Not Responding" for minutes at a time, the final time on program launch on a fresh reboot, from which it never recovered.

I noticed a significant increase in performance after a RR&RS with 6.7.6 on a separate machine.  While it's a nuisance to have to figure this stuff out, even though there's support available for us as subscribers, and I agree that we shouldn't have to be jumping through these kinds of hoops, if you're having any problems, give this a shot and see if it at least gets you workable.  I know for me, I was more just somewhat annoyed at the touch of anxiety I was feeling at having my Evernote access interrupted and productivity possibly seriously disrupted with unreliable software.  I'm at a workable point at least with 6.7.6.  I really hope TPTB are paying attention, but maybe I'm late to the game here.  As noted, I've been living under a rock the past year and a half on 6.5.4, not thinking for a second that my access to an efficient EN client, which I've come to rely so heavily on, could be threatened in being forced onto a buggy version of the software.  It does blow my mind that this stuff is being released in this state despite all the user feedback.

It should say something that so many users are hanging on to old versions, and voicing anger at being forced to upgrade.  The question is, is anyone listening, and if not, why?  That's no way to run a business, and it's no way to treat customers who placed trust in the company and helped build that business.  I have mixed feelings on this matter.  Ultimately, I just want my stuff to work reliably, and to be left alone to use it for the purpose it was designed.

Pile of **** is exactly right.  There was a REASON I was using an old version and that hasn't changed.  Now I've had to "upgrade" to just use the stupid thing.  Downgrade is more like it.  

Thirty seconds and I'm ready to just uninstall it and spend the next month implementing a new way to organize my research.  Tons of word processing documents would be better -- at least I could have some basic control over those.  And a search in Windows Explorer is exponentially faster than searching in Evernote.  All this time I thought it was my old computer, but having finally managed to replace it, I now know it really is a problem with Evernote.  On the other hand, I get a lot of housework done while waiting.  

I had suspended trying to find a replacement because reverting to an older version was working just fine.  Apparently, that wasn't good enough for Evernote and, frankly, I'm not buying the "security risk" *****.  There's been too much messing around, failure to listen to users, and hiding the ball on the part of TPTB for me to believe anything they say at this point.  This "required" version is *****, too many people weren't using it, so they came up with a way to make it happen.  

At this point, Evernote should be paying us.  

I upgraded to Evernote_6.7.6.7584 and at the moment it seems to have worked. But knowing all the bugs Evernote is outputting I'm very skeptical of that and I don't want to lose any data or productivity time. 

Thank you for your feedback. That is somewhat reassuring. I guess I have no choice but to upgrade and take the risk. 

Still no reply form the guy who send the mail. Talking about booking a seat on Titanic. 

Anyways. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Krunoslav said:

That is a very useful update, thank you. Unlike the guy who send the mail, not even replying. But having random users do their own work. They really are lower than a pregnant snail. But once again thank you. 

How did you upgrade to 6.7.6. Just installed it and that was it, did you have to resync the whole database. Did you lose anything in the process? Thank you. 

Sure thing.  I thought that link in the Security Bulletin was a patch only for 6.7.6, but decided to try it to see if it worked on 6.5.4.  Turns out, I think, it was just the installer for 6.7.6, and so it upgraded my version to 6.7.6.

Nothing else after that.  Just logged in and all my notes and stuff were there as far as I could tell.  I did not have to resync the entire database.  If you're concerned for possible data loss, I'd make a manual backup of your database first.

On Windows machines, this will be the .exb file in this location:
          C:\Users\USERNAME\Evernote\Databases

My search in Evernote for that information above locked up Evernote for nearly a minute, so I may end up backing up this file, myself and resyncing.  For now, I found an option to Optimize the Database (Have to say, that's a welcome feature without having to launch evernote.exe /debug.  Not sure in which version it was implemented)

In the main Evernote window, Hold down CTRL and click Help.
Select Optimize Database, and let it run.  Seems to have helped with the search speed for me.

Database Optimize-edt.png

I guess I either didn't get the official email, or it got autolabeled into a non-priority box in my email because the way that this issue suddenly presented itself was OBNOXIOUS. I just all of a sudden couldn't sync - looking in the log showed no obvious issues or anything. Restarting Evernote didn't help either. 

Given that Evernote is clearly capable of issuing notifications on startup (like when a new update is available), they should have at least put it there. I had to come to the official website to find this out.

Also thanks for the forced update! I'm going to have to monitor my total notes and total note summed size daily to make sure nothing gets corrupted since I'd been previously holding back from 6.4.2 as it was the most stable version. This + reliability + lack of dark mode is putting me precariously close to finally jumping ship, which is a shame since I'd been happily using Premium for years.

1 minute ago, msgvb said:

I received a message back from Rich this morning on a private message I sent last night through the site.  I think they're working to get some things clarified, and I'm told that they are passing on the UI and functionality feedback concerns directly to their product managers.

I hope that management is taking this feedback seriously.  Just because not everyone is publicly up in arms, doesn't mean they aren't disturbed or annoyed/angry/concerned.  Most of us have put a lot of trust in Evernote as we've worked with it over the years.  As an IT person, I couldn't do my job very easily without it, so naturally I'm protective of access through my best selected working version, 6.5.4.  I'm a bit alarmed at the feedback I've read concerning data loss and some of these UI/feature updates.

I can understand EN's side, too, and I realize that it was just a matter of time before holding off on product updates presented a security issue.  Overall, I'd rather have my data secure and figure this stuff out later, but not drop it or force these changes on users.

To me, it seems the best option is to not remove features when introducing new ones, to more thoroughly test new versions before making them GA, and to try to give users more control over the UI so that they can disable features, or enable a "Classic Mode" or something like that.

For now, one of my machines is on 6.7.6 as of last night (don't like the note padding on the edges so far, bleh), and I've just upgraded one of my work machines to the latest 6.13.14 just to see where we are with things these days.  I do hope to not have any serious reliability or usability issues.

That is a very useful update, thank you. Unlike the guy who send the mail, not even replying. But having random users do their own work. They really are lower than a pregnant snail. But once again thank you. 

How did you upgrade to 6.7.6. Just installed it and that was it, did you have to resync the whole database. Did you lose anything in the process? Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Krunoslav said:

Reading it now. I send email to Rich Tener yesterday and no reply. I posted on his timeline, no reply. So frustrating. 

I received a message back from Rich this morning on a private message I sent last night through the site.  I think they're working to get some things clarified, and I'm told that they are passing on the UI and functionality feedback concerns directly to their product managers.

I hope that management is taking this feedback seriously.  Just because not everyone is publicly up in arms, doesn't mean they aren't disturbed or annoyed/angry/concerned.  Most of us have put a lot of trust in Evernote as we've worked with it over the years.  As an IT person, I couldn't do my job very easily without it, so naturally I'm protective of access through my best selected working version, 6.5.4.  I'm a bit alarmed at the feedback I've read concerning data loss and some of these UI/feature updates.

I can understand EN's side, too, and I realize that it was just a matter of time before holding off on product updates presented a security issue.  Overall, I'd rather have my data secure and figure this stuff out later, but not drop it or force these changes on users.

To me, it seems the best option is to not remove features when introducing new ones, to more thoroughly test new versions before making them GA, and to try to give users more control over the UI so that they can disable features, or enable a "Classic Mode" or something like that.

For now, one of my machines is on 6.7.6 as of last night (don't like the note padding on the edges so far, bleh), and I've just upgraded one of my work machines to the latest 6.13.14 just to see where we are with things these days.  I do hope to not have any serious reliability or usability issues.

• Ex Employees
12 hours ago, msgvb said:

For now, I ran the "hotfix" atop my 6.5.4 installation, and it upgraded me to 6.7.  The link in the Security Bulletin didn't work for me due to an extra period at end.  Here it is with the slight correction:
          http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.7.6.7584.exe

Thanks for the callout. Should be fixed in the post now. 

• Ex Employees
7 hours ago, Krunoslav said:

Oh, man this is ***** storm of epic proportions. If I remember, they changed PDF editor in 6.7.6 which didn't have drag and drop feature, everyone wanted and looks really clunky. Also its buggy, last time I lost data. And all other version after that are mind field of bugs and broken features or missing features. I can't believe this geniuses are forcing users to use products that they broke and force us to upgrade now. You can't make this stuff up. Jeez. What ***** storm. And off course no way to reach the guy who is forcing this upgrade. I posted on his wall a clear question on this, no reply. And no one down here in forums cares about users, because its been silent for years now. No replies. I just don't see why would anyone want to buy ticket to this Titanic anymore. So frustrating. 

Hey @Krunoslav . 6.8 is the version that introduced the PDF changes. We patched 6.7 for those that want the previous PDF viewer. 6.7.5 is not syncing due to the measures we put in place to protect your account from the security issue.

Please update to 6.7.6 and let us know if there are any sync issues after updating. Thanks!

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Some more comments here..

PS I got an email from Evernote today warning me that even though I'm not (as far as they know) on an older version - I'm actually on the current Beta 6.14.3 - they'll force a logout just to make sure.

I await developments (as they say) with interest...

Reading it now. I send email to Rich Tener yesterday and no reply. I posted on his timeline, no reply. So frustrating. 

• Level 5*

Some more comments here..

PS I got an email from Evernote today warning me that even though I'm not (as far as they know) on an older version - I'm actually on the current Beta 6.14.3 - they'll force a logout just to make sure.

I await developments (as they say) with interest...

6 hours ago, notetakeingguy said:

Yes, me too!

I just logged out, and now I can't log back in (says it can't connect to server). Please don't tell me I have to upgrade since everything is broken going forward (e.g. PDF files view, etc)

What do I do to get back into this Evernote?

Same thing here. Just when you thought they couldn't do worse, evernote pulls this beautiful ace out of their sleeve. Unbelievable. I can't even reach the main security person who send an email. 

4 hours ago, msgvb said:

Same here.  Not pleased.

This forced upgrade was not clearly stated in the announcement.
Clearly stated would be "You will no longer be able to use any version of Evernote older than [version release]"

For now, I ran the "hotfix" atop my 6.5.4 installation, and it upgraded me to 6.7.  The link in the Security Bulletin didn't work for me due to an extra period at end.  Here it is with the slight correction:
I think it's just the installer for v6.7.6.7584, not really a patch, per se?

I'm not sure of the differences in 6.7 over 6.5.4, but for now, aside from some note edge padding, this gets me back in on my signed-out machines until we see how this shakes out.

Oh, man this is ***** storm of epic proportions. If I remember, they changed PDF editor in 6.7.6 which didn't have drag and drop feature, everyone wanted and looks really clunky. Also its buggy, last time I lost data. And all other version after that are mind field of bugs and broken features or missing features. I can't believe this geniuses are forcing users to use products that they broke and force us to upgrade now. You can't make this stuff up. Jeez. What ***** storm. And off course no way to reach the guy who is forcing this upgrade. I posted on his wall a clear question on this, no reply. And no one down here in forums cares about users, because its been silent for years now. No replies. I just don't see why would anyone want to buy ticket to this Titanic anymore. So frustrating. 

Same here.  Not pleased.

This forced upgrade was not clearly stated in the announcement.
Clearly stated would be "You will no longer be able to use any version of Evernote older than [version release]"

I think it's just the installer for v6.7.6.7584, not really a patch, per se?

I'm not sure of the differences in 6.7 over 6.5.4, but for now, aside from some note edge padding, this gets me back in on my signed-out machines until we see how this shakes out.

Archived