• Announcements

• Shane D.

Evernote Webinars   12/01/2017

We've recently begun conducting Evernote Webinars for various topics and subjects. Take a look at the Calendar to check them out, and see if they interest you! Keep an eye out as there will be more to come in the future!
    • Shane D.

Evernote 2018 Planning Templates   12/11/2017

The Evernote 2018 Planning Templates are now available! You can find them Here!  
Justin Street

Evernote for iOS 8.3 Released

Idea

Hi there,

Version 8.3 of Evernote for iOS is available in the App Store. You can download it here

This version contains bug fixes and performance improvements for many of the issues reported here and through our support channels.

This version includes:

• Fixed an issue where the app would perform slowly on iPad.
  • Fixed an issue where some content in offline notebooks would not download.
  • Fixed an issue where content from one note might replace or appear to replace content in another.

Thanks for using Evernote and the continued feedback!

• Like 1

54 replies to this idea

On 2017-08-14 at 6:05 PM, Justin Street said:

Version 8.3 of Evernote for iOS is available in the App Store.

Bug Report?   Reminder notes - indication of completion.  I recall a strikethrough date 

Bug report: missing icons for attachments 598f6c3acbc76_ScreenShot2017-08-12at13_58_42.png.00b67ca2d054234369f985f17016c35b.png

The image shows the icons for .eml and .pdf files

I just downloaded the app for my iPhone 6 and I'm now dead in the water. I can't open any notes and every time I click on something, it closes the app. Is there a way to revert back to the previous version? Thanks,

Hi!

It appears that login via Evenote application is not working for third party apps. Previously (checked on version 8.2.2.353110), when performing login to Evernote account in other applications (e.g. QuickSnap - Quick snap to Evernote), I was redirected to Evernote application, "Allow Account Access" screen was shown and after authorization I was redirected back to original app with my account automatically added. Now with latest version 8.3.356604, "Allow Account Access" screen is no longer shown. The only way I found to add Evernote account to another app is uninstalling Evernote app from my iPhone, as normal login form  is shown in this case.

Hope it will be fixed in future releases! Thanks!

On 15/08/2017 at 3:05 AM, Justin Street said:

• Fixed an issue where content from one note might replace or appear to replace content in another.

i had a big issue !

many contents had been replaced from other notes.

how could i repair such issue.

important data should be repaired to continue my work. i searched this community several times before and this is the first time to handle this issue , but no repair offered.

Moreover , the support chat is always offline even in the stated working hours. 

i was going to subscribe in premium just to have the direct email support from Evernote.

Please give me a repair !

@Basem: The only way I know of to recover information is to use the history feature, which is for Premium subscribers only. Unfortunately if you weren't a premium member at the time the notes were corrupted I believe you're out of luck. AFAIK if you subscribe to Premium you'll have access to history beginning with the date you signed up, not before.

@Justin Street: I'm glad this issue is fixed but I'd quibble with the wording "content from one note might replace or appear to replace content in another." I'm not sure how content can "appear" to replace other content -- either it did or it didn't. 

1 hour ago, Bill Myers said:

@Basem: The only way I know of to recover information is to use the history feature, which is for Premium subscribers only. Unfortunately if you weren't a premium member at the time the notes were corrupted I believe you're out of luck.

Correction; the Note History backup is running for all accounts.  Access is available to premium accounts

Its not necessary to be a premium member when the notes were corrupted

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

Correction; the Note History backup is running for all accounts.  Access is available to premium accounts

Its not necessary to be a premium member when the notes were corrupted

@DTLow 

thank you for the valuable information.

but how could i run a repair. i think EverNote co. should support. even if i subscribe as premium right now , how could i run a massive repair for 700+ notes ?

Please advise with the proper action.

2 hours ago, Basem said:

i think EverNote co. should support.

You should contact Evernote

- paid accounts    Contact Evernote Support 

- all accounts        Twitter @evernotehelps  

>>how could i run a massive repair for 700+ notes ?

My repairs were for single notes every so often

If I had 700 notes, I’d be reloading from my personal backups  (Mac)

11 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

I'm not sure how content can "appear" to replace other content -- either it did or it didn't.

I had some notes showing as corrupted on my iPad.  No problem on my other devices/platforms

It was only a display problem; the issue has cleared 

On 8/14/2017 at 10:05 PM, Justin Street said:

Hi there,

Version 8.3 of Evernote for iOS is available in the App Store.

Hi, there.

Just sharing my experience with the new version so far.

As someone else @Basem mentioned, I had problems with content replacement as well. 

I came across it on my iPhone then I tried checking on my desktop just to confirm it. However, what I forgot was that the desktop version of EN automatically syncs upon start which caused it to replace completely on all my devices (ouch!). It's all fine because I was able to recover the previous content from the history version. And like @DTLow, it only happened for single notes.

On 25/08/2017 at 5:17 PM, Evernote Dutchman said:

Justin and team,

Please, reenable the Atlas view again. Searching for the notes on or near a location really was a boon on mobile.

Thanks for keeping up the good work.

Or take the idea of Location having been previously available on all clients; acknowledge it was not utilised by many customers with the way it was presented as a main menu view and consider how it could be better implemented rather than simply removing it. Here is the concept I've been suggesting since December 2016. I still think it's a great way forward which could be utilised by both new customers and longer term customers alike:

- created as a filter (like tags/reminders) rather than as a seperate full section in previous version would help improve discoverability and usability. I would have used location in the app much more if it was a filter. Often I know what type of work I'm looking for by notebook/tag but *then* would like to filter the selection by location.

- e.g. Holiday notebook. The notebook includes itineraries, photos of trips taken in chronological order. Customer wants to see only the trips taken in Greece.  They could open the holiday notebook and click on the location filter and choose Greece, either by placing a pin on a may or using a search box and typing 'Greece'

Cheers

Rob

52 minutes ago, rkapurple said:

- created as a filter (like tags/reminders) rather than as a seperate full section in previous version would help improve discoverability and usability. I would have used location in the app much more if it was a filter. Often I know what type of work I'm looking for by notebook/tag but *then* would like to filter the selection by location.

fwiw   latitude/longitude are search arguments

latitude:37 will return all notes whose latitude value is greater than 37. Add -‍latitude:38 to your search to show results whose latitude is between 37 and 38 degrees. longitude: and altitude: work exactly the same way.

I wouldn’t want to enter this on the fly, but could have saved searches set up for different locations

Greece is at 39.0742° N, 21.8243° E   :)

I just started getting duplicate notes when I send something to Evernote from mobile safari.

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

fwiw   latitude/longitude are search arguments

latitude:37 will return all notes whose latitude value is greater than 37. Add -‍latitude:38 to your search to show results whose latitude is between 37 and 38 degrees. longitude: and altitude: work exactly the same way.

I wouldn’t want to enter this on the fly, but could have saved searches set up for different locations

Greece is at 39.0742° N, 21.8243° E   :)

Agreed, this is there like lots of other syntax, but location has been part of the app since very early on and deserves a better implementation than either the main menu view or relying on saved searches. 

The idea of using location as a filter, like tags allows customers to think about refining by location in whatever listing of notes they are looking at, without having to switch context to a search. 

On 8/26/2017 at 3:07 PM, CVJ said:

I just started getting duplicate notes when I send something to Evernote from mobile safari.

Out of curiosity I tried this and encountered the same thing. It appears to be a bug.

9 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

Out of curiosity I tried this and encountered the same thing. It appears to be a bug.

I think it's related to the bug where the contents of your note gets replaced with one of your other notes. I noticed it happens when I send to Evernote from my iPhone.

The most recent version of the iOS app gives problems to locally saved notebooks.

Twice so far, it happened to me that the notes (and reminders relating to them)  in these notebooks get out of sync. As soon as the noted are out of order, new notes in the notebook are invisible. 

Attempts to sync manually produce an endless sync loop. So far, the only way out is to eliminate the app and then to download it again.

Thanks in advance for looking into this!

On 8/28/2017 at 7:28 PM, CVJ said:

I think it's related to the bug where the contents of your note gets replaced with one of your other notes. I noticed it happens when I send to Evernote from my iPhone.

When I had the problem of note content getting replaced it was with notes that were plain text, not clipped from any web browser. Evernote says that problem is fixed and I'm taking their word for it.

Generally I post in the Windows area, as that is my main platform. However, the issues with 8.3 (and earlier for some issues) are hobbling me.  I often use my iPhone and/or iPad to review new content and save to EN, such as clipping from the mobile browser or saving (pdfs) to EN etc.  This allows me to clean out my EN inbox whenever I have time.  There are 3 issues for me, and I know EN tech is aware of all, but wanted to post here mainly to get perspective--have heavy iOS users found newer versions especially bad?

Issue 1:  Reported above--duplication of notes.  I found this happens with Safari but not Chrome on iOS.  For me, it occurs when: (1) Open a note on my iOS device.  Typically a newsletter from a trade website which I'm directing into my default notebook.  Click a link in that note which opens Safari.  Clip content and save, note is duplicated.  I found that if I copy the link to Chrome on my iOS device, then clip, notes are NOT duplicates.  So I think it is a Safari-EN issue.

Issue 2: Notes getting content overwritten by other notes.  This is still an issue, and very hard to reproduce.  For me, I don't share notebooks at present, but if I did this would cause me to panic, as it might share content I didn't want to share.

Issue 3: Sync gets stuck on iOS device.  Tried several things noted by support, nothing worked, including resintalling.  Stumbled into "clear Cache" on the support page in the account area on iOS EN.  This fixed it, but only teporarily.  My iPhone stopped syncing again.  So far, the clear Cache doesn't fix that; reinstalled and waiting for sync to complete.  This is the issue that is killing me, as I can't review notes that I cannot see as they are not synced.

I'd welcome any perspective, but this has been quite a time waster over the last couple of months.

19 hours ago, eafpres said:

Issue 1:  Reported above--duplication of notes.  I found this happens with Safari but not Chrome on iOS.  For me, it occurs when: (1) Open a note on my iOS device.  Typically a newsletter from a trade website which I'm directing into my default notebook.  Click a link in that note which opens Safari.  Clip content and save, note is duplicated.  I found that if I copy the link to Chrome on my iOS device, then clip, notes are NOT duplicates.  So I think it is a Safari-EN issue.

Issue 2: Notes getting content overwritten by other notes.  This is still an issue, and very hard to reproduce.  For me, I don't share notebooks at present, but if I did this would cause me to panic, as it might share content I didn't want to share.

Issue 3: Sync gets stuck on iOS device.  Tried several things noted by support, nothing worked, including resintalling.  Stumbled into "clear Cache" on the support page in the account area on iOS EN.  This fixed it, but only teporarily.  My iPhone stopped syncing again.  So far, the clear Cache doesn't fix that; reinstalled and waiting for sync to complete.  This is the issue that is killing me, as I can't review notes that I cannot see as they are not synced.

Concerning issue 1, I am seeing something similar. I don’t necessarily use the web clipper from Safari - I have a Workflow that I use most of the time to create notes from websites, but I am getting duplicate notes at times also. My Workflow actually creates a note and then appends some info to it. Instead of appending to the first note, it is creating a new note often.

Issue 3: I have seen sometimes, but it has seemed to work itself out for me on its own - it doesn’t sync immediately and maybe even throws an error, but then after a few minutes, it does sync.

Two major issues I am seeing are: 1) Tapping the tag icon to filter notes by tags results in a 7-second delay. At first, I thought I didn’t tap the right spot. But I have found that if you just wait (for what seems forever), the tag window will finally open, 2) If you have medium selected in the note list options, the note preview tends to jump around a lot, as the image thumbnails for images, PDFs, etc. don’t load immediately, and then when they finally load, the list of notes moves. So, if you are scrolling down in your notes, you suddenly lose your place as the thumbnails are finally loaded. This is especially frustrating when you are searching for a note or filtering by a tag.

I think it was 8.3 that started evernote mobile (iPhone 6+) to start hanging on start up or on coming back to it. 

closing and reopening the program generally fixes it, but it's pretty irritating if you want to dash off a quick note.

maybe i need to find where I hid the apple note app...

Just a brief update:

Item 1 is acknowledged by EN support.  No timeline on a fix yet.  It's benign in that you can just delete the 2nd copy.

Item 2 is acknowledged by EN support and I'm told it is one of the highest priority issues to fix.

Item 3 is acknowledged by EN support and they are working on a fix, hoping in next release or one after that.  There is a workaround:

• Clear the Evernote cache from 'Account' > 'Support' > 'Clear Cache'.
  • Then, go to iOS Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock > Set to 'Never'
  • Plug your iPhone into its charger
  • Let Evernote sit open for a few hours

2 minutes ago, eafpres said:

Item 2 is acknowledged by EN support and I'm told it is one of the highest priority issues to fix.

According to the OP from @Justin Street, item 2 (notes overwriting other notes) was fixed. Did support tell you something different?

29 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

According to the OP from @Justin Street, item 2 (notes overwriting other notes) was fixed. Did support tell you something different?

I was not aware it was fixed.  It is hard to duplicate but I have not seen it recently.  Thanks for the update.