Ever Better: Refreshing the Evernote Brand Read more... ×
lisec

exclude notebook from search

Idea

It isn't a new idea, but it is a wishlist item.

Please allow us to exclude a notebook from our search with a -notebook type search term. And if that is impossible, then provide a way to tag notes automatically with the notebook name.

I need to exclude a notebook from a search. I most always do, multiple times/day. Since I can't do that, all the notes within those notebooks have a tag with the notebook name. I can't type -notebook recipes when searching for an article that appeared in The Onion, but I can sure type -tag:recipes to filter out 2,000 notes.

It takes some housekeeping to ensure that all notes within a notebook also includes the notebook tag.  Not all notebooks require it, but I have at least 4 that do; that is 4 notebooks that interfere too much with most searches such that I have to tag all the notes within them:  recipes, woodworking, work and film. And yes, I need these notebooks because they are shared. I got rid of all my notebooks except for 4 shared ones and 2 that I use daily. I prefer to use tags. But I don't like having to do two things to so many notes (move them to the notebook and tag them with the notebook name).

• Like 8

7 replies to this idea

Yes, exclude notebooks by using "-notebook:" search would be great.

I wonder why "-tag:" is possible, while "-notebook:" isn't. :)

• Like 1

Actually, I would suggest that the Evernote Team just implemented a solution so one could right-click on the notebook and then select "exclude content from search". See, that would be great! 

• Like 1

Cucumbercutter, that might be a nice feature, as long as we could also type it. I find it much quicker to type Rosemary -notebook:film -notebook:recipes than to go around right-clicking on multiple notebooks. I'm old school that way I guess.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 6:24 AM, icoco_de said:

I wonder why "-tag:" is possible, while "-notebook:" isn't.

I use -tag: a lot and -notebook: would be awesome. I was wondering the same thing too, it just feels natural in line with all the other searches. There must be a good technical reason for it. But hopefully, -notebook: search option will be coming soon.

• Like 2

I agree (this was the first search I was going to save ... and it was kind of disappointment that it wasn't possible to do)