Evernote 5.8.13.8152 - Windows 7 - Frequent "Not Responding"

I'm running Evernote 5.8.13 and I get hangings quite often (several a day). Evernote freezes and (Not Responding) can be seen on the window title. I tried to wait it off , but they last more that 10 minutes and sometimes seems to hang forever.

I just Optimized Database and I still see the hangings.

I have 10812 and many tags (I cannot see how many though).

The size of the Evernote database is ~7 GBs.

Is there anything I can do to pinpoint the cause of the hangings. I usually notice them when I'm about to edit a note.

Best regards/Ruben.

• Level 5*

If you've tried the other standard troubleshooting steps without success, then you might want to try a clean reinstall.  This is like major surgery.   Do this only when all other options have not worked.  If you have a large account (in size or # of Notes), it might take a while to re-download all of your Notes.  The speed of your Internet connection is a major factor, of course.

See Procedure for Clean Reinstall of Evernote Windows Using Revo

Seeing this same issues. Where can we see what the 'standard troubleshooting steps' are? Evernote Help on the web times out, so I'm unable to look that up (or for that matter figure out how to optimize the database -- that we can is news to me.) 

I'm running Evernote 5.8.13 and I get hangings quite often (several a day). Evernote freezes and (Not Responding) can be seen on the window title. I tried to wait it off , but they last more that 10 minutes and sometimes seems to hang forever.

I just Optimized Database and I still see the hangings.

I have 10812 and many tags (I cannot see how many though).

The size of the Evernote database is ~7 GBs.

Is there anything I can do to pinpoint the cause of the hangings. I usually notice them when I'm about to edit a note.

Best regards/Ruben.

Just FYI this is NOT an evernote problem.  It's a Windows Registry problem.  my advice is get CCleaner from Piriform, it's a FREE registry, check \ fix.  You can use any registry program you want provided it can fix the problems it finds, but that's where the problem is.

ALL windows programs share a common library and API, that API how applications communicate with Windows.  The registry is the ONLY central place where the communication configuration is, so every other program does the same thing.  Whenever this gets corrupted or bogged down that's when app freeze happens, using a good registry cleaner SHOULD fix it, and do it like twice a day.. but it's 100% NOT an Evernote problem its a Windows problem, but Windows is great, APPs are poorly written that can clog the registry.... it's just programmers that don't check their work.. but Evernote is GREAT, very stable.  Its why I use it every day.. for pretty much everything, so I know it's not Evernote...

Just FYI this is NOT an evernote problem.  It's a Windows Registry problem.  my advice is get CCleaner from Piriform, it's a FREE registry, check \ fix.  You can use any registry program you want provided it can fix the problems it finds, but that's where the problem is.

This is a VERY strong statement, and given what I can see of my particular problem, almost certainly not true. 

Also, registry cleaners are in general a VERY BAD IDEA. DO NOT USE THEM. 

I don't know of any official EN troubleshooting steps for "not responding", but there is this which has some fairly standard steps to take:

I am having problems syncing. What should I do? -- EN Knowledgebase article

You might also try a google search on "evernote not responding"

FTR, that knowledgebase article doesn't really apply to the situation described. It's not a sync issue. Syncing doesn't hang the UI on any of the Evernote desktop clients I've used (several Windows & Mac versions). 

I can't speak for Ecerulm, but I did do a similar google search before coming here. When I do it now, this post comes up #2. 

• Level 5*

FTR, that knowledgebase article doesn't really apply to the situation described. It's not a sync issue. Syncing doesn't hang the UI on any of the Evernote desktop clients I've used (several Windows & Mac versions). 

I can't speak for Ecerulm, but I did do a similar google search before coming here. When I do it now, this post comes up #2. 

While the article I referenced was written for sync issues, a lot of the troubleshooting steps in apply to a wider variety of issues, including the "not responding issue" if it is due to trying to connect to the Evernote servers.  It seems to me that the Evernote apps are often connecting with there servers, for EN Context and other stuff.  

Since I could not find anything official for troubleshooting the "not responding" issue, the next best thing is a google search to see how others have dealt with the issue.

If you have a better suggestion, please share it.

A google search is how I got to this issue. If I had a better suggestion, I wouldn't be here. 

Based on my Google search, this issue has been cropping up in the Evernote client since at least 2010, and the usual resolution seems to be 'wait for an update that fixes the problem.' I was simply hoping that maybe something better had emerged in the interim. 

• Level 5*

Before I made my first post, I searched the EN Knowledgebase and Google to find an answer.

I found none.

The fact this issue has been around for so long does suggest some bug and/or design flaw.

But it seems Evernote has been unable to completely fix the issue.

It may be related to the user's data:

1. Number and size of notes
  2. Content of Notes
  3. Corruption in the user's Evernote app setup

The only ideas (untested) that I have at this point are:

(keep in mind that these may not fix the issue)

1. Review the EN Activity Log for possible errors/problems with specific notes.
  2. Update to the lastest EN Win Ver of 5.9
  3. Do a clean reinstall.  See Procedure for Clean Reinstall of Evernote Windows Using Revo
  • 2 months later...

This is a VERY strong statement, and given what I can see of my particular problem, almost certainly not true. 

I have to agree, this is not a good idea. Cleaners can really damage your registry even more than it was before. Yes, some cleaners are better than others, but there are no guarantees. Also, like eric scoles pointed out, this shouldn't even be the reason Evernote keeps going to "not responding" status. Sure, a bad registry can mess things up, but I can't say this connection seems very logical. Evernote as a client is so big and complex now and maybe they focused a little too much on the many new features and forgot about the most important things, a speedy interface for example. That would be my guess, or at least in combination with a big note archive accumulated over a long period of time. That seems like a bad combo if the Evernote client isn't optimized as it used to be before all the clutter. 

An easy fix that at least minimized the problem were to switch to an SSD, but other people have also commented on experiencing the same thing regardless of HDD setup, but in different degrees maybe. SSD should speed things up even if the programming isn't great. I use a lot of heavy software, so for me an SSD is a logical switch anyway, but I can't say I'm very confident about great results in regard to this issue. Evernote have work to do here and the problem has just gotten worse over the last years, not better, which once again, points to all the clutter being one of the problems. I haven't looked all over the Internet after ideas though, maybe I missed something outside these threads.

I have to agree, this is not a good idea. Cleaners can really damage your registry even more than it was before. Yes, some cleaners are better than others, but there are no guarantees. Also, like eric scoles pointed out, this shouldn't even be the reason Evernote keeps going to "not responding" status. Sure, a bad registry can mess things up, but I can't say this connection seems very logical. Evernote as a client is so big and complex now and maybe they focused a little too much on the many new features and forgot about the most important things, a speedy interface for example. That would be my guess, or at least in combination with a big note archive accumulated over a long period of time. That seems like a bad combo if the Evernote client isn't optimized as it used to be before all the clutter. 

An easy fix that at least minimized the problem were to switch to an SSD, but other people have also commented on experiencing the same thing regardless of HDD setup, but in different degrees maybe. SSD should speed things up even if the programming isn't great. I use a lot of heavy software, so for me an SSD is a logical switch anyway, but I can't say I'm very confident about great results in regard to this issue. Evernote have work to do here and the problem has just gotten worse over the last years, not better, which once again, points to all the clutter being one of the problems. I haven't looked all over the Internet after ideas though, maybe I missed something outside these threads.

Yeah better to GUESS at what the problem could be rather than fix it.  Not sure where you get your info from but Registry cleaners work well been using them for.. eh.. 20 years now.  Maybe you have been using the wrong tool.  ALL they do is FIX a problem, maybe the ones you use or the way you use them breaks Windows but if done properly they work well.

But do whatever you want, suggest another way to "fix" his problem eventually you will realize the registry is where everything Windows gets handled, manually fix the problem or use an automated tool, one way or the other you will clean the registry to fix the issue.

Using a faster drive is not a viable solution either, the app is broken its not slow.  Have you ever done diagnostic for application issues before?  You don't suggest that app speed has anything to do with app freezing, that's not good advice at all.  I don't use evernote on an SSD and it works fine.

I do this professionally among other things, use lots of tools there are proper ways to fix things and improper ways.. you have to get the ROOT of the problem not just apply a bandaid.  The problem is the registry, period.

In those 20 years I have been using registry fix tools NEVER had anyone say "generally registry tools are a bad idea".. I think not only is this not based on fact but its mostly fear or ignorance of how registry programs work.

If he wants to fix the problem it starts with Windows. If we all use the same program, and I am using Evernote on Windows 7 myself then we have to go back to the last common denominator..which is the registry.  I guarantee you mine is healthy his is not, and whatever is going on with freezing could be a long time problem with the registry.

I only apply solutions not a bunch of ideas, the solution is Registry Cleaner, I would rather spend 1 minute having a program identify the root cause than making someone spend money on a unrelated issue.  If the drive were the problem Windows wouldn't work at all not just 1 program.  So don't "guess" at the problem know what you are dealing with a registry cleaner can at LEAST identify the problem BEFORE you apply the changes.. it doesn't have to make them permanent but its much faster than you can diagnose I am SURE of that.

Based on what evidence?  Given what you have seen of the problem, which is what exactly?  Programs can solve problems faster than any human can, at least tell you where to start.  

If he scans the registry with a tool and it identifies 300 or more errors, then what that's a coincidence?  You don't know what you don't know.. which is what shape the registry is in.  How tough can it be to at LEAST try, also try to remember your audience.. I am not some first year high school student with a tablet, I have been fixing problems with computers since Windows was even in beta.. so I THINK I might have some insight into the problem.

If I give advice it might mean I have some experience with these problems.

• Level 5*

My experience says the problem is more with whatever behind the scenes activities are occurring when you use EN, re-indexing or whatever.  An EN issue for sure, though I don't know that it it has anything to do with the registry or is just plumbing.  IMHO, SSD and memory are the brute force fixes to the issue, until the plumbing is addressed.  Worked for me when I made the upgrade a few years back.  Just an opinion based upon personal experience.

My experience says the problem is more with whatever behind the scenes activities are occurring when you use EN, re-indexing or whatever.  An EN issue for sure, though I don't know that it it has anything to do with the registry or is just plumbing.  IMHO, SSD and memory are the brute force fixes to the issue, until the plumbing is addressed.  Worked for me when I made the upgrade a few years back.  Just an opinion based upon personal experience.

Companies like Evernote do very thorough testing of applications, if someone else has the same version and same size database we could compare and know for sure.  Until then this is a Windows problem not an application.  I have seen people with larger database and don't have issues, its immediately upon opening.

If this were an application problem it would crash with an error "unknown problem, or database too large, or file corrupted" but it's Windows API causing the app to hang and not respond.. that is NOT an application controlled issue.  That's Windows.

• Level 5*

Well, if worked for me, no Windows changes, not to say someone else doesn't have Windows issues.  Sometimes EN just chugs and chugs and hardware seems to help remedy that.  So I guess if a registry cleaner doesn't do the trick one might try the brute force method.

If this were an application problem it would crash with an error "unknown problem, or database too large, or file corrupted" but it's Windows API causing the app to hang and not respond.. that is NOT an application controlled issue.  That's Windows.

No, it's us. We suspect a deadlock with worker threads and the UI thread. Since it's timing related, reproduction and fixing is extremely tricky.

No, it's us. We suspect a deadlock with worker threads and the UI thread. Since it's timing related, reproduction and fixing is extremely tricky.

Interesting thing about code it doesn't work sporadically it either works for everyone or not at all.  so if it is the app then why isn't EVERYONE with the same version of evernote having the same problem.  I am on Windows 7 at work, my evernote does not hang like this.. 

So the code will not just fail at random, it either works or it doesn't within the same environment.  The behavior for applications is a combination of factors including installed apps and DLLs in conflict, so if the OP version does not work and yet mine does.. something ELSE is interfering....

so if it is the app then why isn't EVERYONE with the same version of evernote having the same problem.

Timing. The OS will schedule threads as it sees fit. No one's computer is exactly the same. So when you're dealing with debugging a timing issue, simply attaching a debugger to the process changes _everything_. (Heck, the packet of information you just requested from the server may take a different route through the internet than the packet that you requested a moment before. It might even get lost.)

• Level 5*

Interesting thing about code it doesn't work sporadically it either works for everyone or not at all.  so if it is the app then why isn't EVERYONE with the same version of evernote having the same problem.  I am on Windows 7 at work, my evernote does not hang like this.. 

So the code will not just fail at random, it either works or it doesn't within the same environment.  The behavior for applications is a combination of factors including installed apps and DLLs in conflict, so if the OP version does not work and yet mine does.. something ELSE is interfering....

Differences in data can also cause database apps like Evernote to perform differently for different users.

I have seen cases where the following can affect the software behavior:

• Large and/or corrupt attachments
  • Large (>10K words) Notes
  • Large account sizes (> 30K Notes)
  • Special/unusually characters in the Note
  • and more

So the software can appear to behave sporadically.

• 3 weeks later...

Differences in data can also cause database apps like Evernote to perform differently for different users.

I have seen cases where the following can affect the software behavior:

• Large and/or corrupt attachments
  • Large (>10K words) Notes
  • Large account sizes (> 30K Notes)
  • Special/unusually characters in the Note
  • and more

So the software can appear to behave sporadically.

@JMichael, thanks!

Especially working on big notes seems to be the issue.

On notes around 1 Mb I get the "not responding" message on the Evernote UI every 10/15 seconds of typing and copy and paste takes at least 30 seconds to complete.

• 1 month later...

I was having a hanging / not responding problem also. I had 2 copies of the same account running on the same computer - one normal and one in a Virtual Machine of Win7.  The VM worked great, the real machine just hung. (the last time I tried to get it running, it started after about an hour.

I found another thread (which I can't find again) started in 2012. One suggestion was to turn off indexing in search  and indexing. (I am running 7).

I tried going to the control panel and turning it off under Turn Windows features on or off. (Mine was already off)

I went to Services.msc and disabled the Windows Search service. Restarted Evernote and it came right up.

Knock on wood.

... found the other thread...

• 2 months later...
On 11/12/2015 at 1:41 PM, dconnet said:

Thanks dconnet, I'm glad to see someone from Evernote responding here and letting us know that you guys are aware of the problem.  It amazes me that the Android version works so fast and never seems to have timing issues..  Strange when my handheld device works better than this 30 lb monster on my desk. :D

As your post was from last November hopefully, we'll be seeing some improvement show up in a forthcoming update.:blink:

12 hours ago, JohnOem said:

Strange when my handheld device works better than this 30 lb monster on my desk. :D

As your post was from last November hopefully, we'll be seeing some improvement show up in a forthcoming update.:blink:

Its your OS or lack of maintenance not the 30 lb machine..  I have had Evernote for a while.. NEVER had a problem with the desktop, its the least problematic.  I'd say you need to clean your registry or do a better job updating the patches, but it's not the machine.. Could also be the fact that you are using a mechanical drive, SSD are much better and more predictable performance.

46 minutes ago, rjparker1 said:

Its your OS or lack of maintenance not the 30 lb machine..  I have had Evernote for a while.. NEVER had a problem with the desktop, its the least problematic.  I'd say you need to clean your registry or do a better job updating the patches, but it's not the machine.. Could also be the fact that you are using a mechanical drive, SSD are much better and more predictable performance.

No, it's Evernote. 

See:  

2 hours ago, rjparker1 said:

I disagree. When I was having this problem, it was on a new, updated ThinkPad with an SSD.

11 minutes ago, Pac.Man said:

I disagree. When I was having this problem, it was on a new, updated ThinkPad with an SSD.

OK I take it back.. maybe the problem *IS* your machine.. I wouldn't be caught DEAD with a ThinkPad...

Evernote says its the app, but its funny how its only a few people with the same version that have the problem.. software is not whimsical it either works or it doesn't but Evernote says its them, fine I will let them handle it..

• Ex Employees

Performance improvements have been made with version 5.9.8. If you haven't already updated, select: help>check for updates, to update to v5.9.8. 

If this issue continues with the latest version of Evernote please submit a support ticket. 

• 6 months later...
On 11/12/2015 at 10:48 PM, rjparker1 said:

Yeah better to GUESS at what the problem could be rather than fix it.  Not sure where you get your info from but Registry cleaners work well been using them for.. eh.. 20 years now.  Maybe you have been using the wrong tool.  ALL they do is FIX a problem, maybe the ones you use or the way you use them breaks Windows but if done properly they work well.

But do whatever you want, suggest another way to "fix" his problem eventually you will realize the registry is where everything Windows gets handled, manually fix the problem or use an automated tool, one way or the other you will clean the registry to fix the issue.

Using a faster drive is not a viable solution either, the app is broken its not slow.  Have you ever done diagnostic for application issues before?  You don't suggest that app speed has anything to do with app freezing, that's not good advice at all.  I don't use evernote on an SSD and it works fine.

I do this professionally among other things, use lots of tools there are proper ways to fix things and improper ways.. you have to get the ROOT of the problem not just apply a bandaid.  The problem is the registry, period.

In those 20 years I have been using registry fix tools NEVER had anyone say "generally registry tools are a bad idea".. I think not only is this not based on fact but its mostly fear or ignorance of how registry programs work.

If he wants to fix the problem it starts with Windows. If we all use the same program, and I am using Evernote on Windows 7 myself then we have to go back to the last common denominator..which is the registry.  I guarantee you mine is healthy his is not, and whatever is going on with freezing could be a long time problem with the registry.

I only apply solutions not a bunch of ideas, the solution is Registry Cleaner, I would rather spend 1 minute having a program identify the root cause than making someone spend money on a unrelated issue.  If the drive were the problem Windows wouldn't work at all not just 1 program.  So don't "guess" at the problem know what you are dealing with a registry cleaner can at LEAST identify the problem BEFORE you apply the changes.. it doesn't have to make them permanent but its much faster than you can diagnose I am SURE of that.

It is very strange that rjparker1 insists that the only possible cause of the freeze is the Registry.

If the Registry is the only cause, why don't the other Windows programms freeze like Evernote?  They all use the same registry.

rjparker1 believes that Evernote doesn't freeze on his computer and freezes on some other computers is because he has a clean Registry.  Well, he may have a very nice clean Registry, there is still no linkage to eliminate other causes.  We all have different version of programs and different data.  All that is not controlled to jump to conclusion.

rjparker1, even when two separate Evernote employee said the cause is related to Evernote, you still insist on the Registry.  Why?  What if there are four broken pieces of software that are causing the freeze?  Say maybe one is related to the Registry, two related to Evernote, one related to Adobe Acrobat, then insisting on a clean Registry would solve the freeze on every computer is kind of silly.  Debugging is sometimes not straight forward.  There may be multiple causes.

Whatever the cause, it seems that once you get the freeze, it doesn't seem to go away.  I had been a happy user for many months.  Ever since Evernote starts freezing on me, I've joined this frozen community.  Has anyone gotten out?

Archived