Why does Evernote keep disappearing/closing?

I am using version 5.8.8.7837 (275837) Public.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1, 64-bit.

Dell Studio XPS laptop.

Evernote keeps randomly vanishing. I'm typing along in a note and it suddenly isn't there anymore. When I restart it, the last few words I typed are lost, but otherwise it seems to be OK. This has persisted across several updates of the software. What's going on?

Is the Evernote Windows client just that buggy?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Random disappearing acts are certainly unusual - when the window disappears do you get any sort of Fatal Error notice?  Is Evernote completely closed?  No sign of it in Task Manager? 

It may be the update wasn't as effective as it should have been - if you've been updating over several versions too,  the software can 'bloat' with undeleted code. 

I'd suggest the tech two-step of

1. Restart your computer and see whether the problem continues.  If so, 
  2. Reinstall -
  • Evernote > Tools > Options > General to check the location of your database folder
  • File > Exit to close Evernote down.  (Exit Outlook too if it's running.)
  • Go to the folder and copy it somewhere else as a backup.  It shouldn't be affected by a reinstall,  but this is a good precaution.
  • Uninstall Evernote via Control Panel
  • Restart / reinstall Evernote "as Administrator"

Yes Evernote completely closes with no error message. Gone from Task Manager. It closes instantaneously--no churning around like most programs when they close normally. This has continued over several versions/updates and obviously over numerous reboots of the computer. It happens once every 2 or 3 hours of Evernote usage.

I'll try reinstalling, but it seems like that would have the same effect as just downloading and installing the latest version, wouldn't it?

• Level 5*

Yes Evernote completely closes with no error message. Gone from Task Manager. It closes instantaneously--no churning around like most programs when they close normally. This has continued over several versions/updates and obviously over numerous reboots of the computer. It happens once every 2 or 3 hours of Evernote usage.

I'll try reinstalling, but it seems like that would have the same effect as just downloading and installing the latest version, wouldn't it?

Actually, I think updating is very different from a clean install of Evernote.

However, since you noted that this issue has persisted across several  updates of Evernote, you may want to do a very thorough uninstall of Evernote using the Revo Uninstaller, instead of using the normal Windows Uninstall Control Panel.  It seems that Revo can do a better job if you use it BEFORE a normal uninstall, rather than later.

Procedure for Clean Reinstall of Evernote Windows Using Revo

Warning!  This will delete ALL Evernote data on your PC.  Make sure you have a full backup locally of your Evernote folder/database before proceeding.

This is like major surgery.   Do this only when all other options have not worked.  If you have a large account (in size or # of Notes), it might take a while (many hours, or more) to re-download all of your Notes.  The speed of your Internet connection is a major factor, of course.

1. IF you have any Local Notebooks, or unsynced Notes, you MUST export them to ENEX files BEFORE proceeding.
  2. Download and Install Revo Uninstaller Pro (free trial available)
  3. Run Revo to fully uninstall Evernote
    1. Best to run Revo instead of Windows Uninstaller
    2. For help, see the Revo Online Manual
  4. Restart your PC
  5. Download and Install the latest non-beta version of Evernote Windows from the Evernote.com web site.
    • Depending on how many Notes you have, and the size of your Evernote account, it make take a while to complete the sync download after install.  
    • This could range from minutes for small accounts to hours to a day or more for very large accounts.
    • The sync download may continue to run in the background.
  6. Import any ENEX files you have (from Step #1) after the install has completed.  

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

• 5 months later...

Actually, I think updating is very different from a clean install of Evernote.

However, since you noted that this issue has persisted across several  updates of Evernote, you may want to do a very thorough uninstall of Evernote using the Revo Uninstaller, instead of using the normal Windows Uninstall Control Panel.  It seems that Revo can do a better job if you use it BEFORE a normal uninstall, rather than later.

Procedure for Clean Reinstall of Evernote Windows Using Revo

Warning!  This will delete ALL Evernote data on your PC.  Make sure you have a full backup locally of your Evernote folder/database before proceeding.

This is like major surgery.   Do this only when all other options have not worked.  If you have a large account (in size or # of Notes), it might take a while (many hours, or more) to re-download all of your Notes.  The speed of your Internet connection is a major factor, of course.

1. IF you have any Local Notebooks, or unsynced Notes, you MUST export them to ENEX files BEFORE proceeding.
  2. Download and Install Revo Uninstaller Pro (free trial available)
  3. Run Revo to fully uninstall Evernote
    1. Best to run Revo instead of Windows Uninstaller
    2. For help, see the Revo Online Manual
  4. Restart your PC
  5. Download and Install the latest non-beta version of Evernote Windows from the Evernote.com web site.
    • Depending on how many Notes you have, and the size of your Evernote account, it make take a while to complete the sync download after install.  
    • This could range from minutes for small accounts to hours to a day or more for very large accounts.
    • The sync download may continue to run in the background.
  6. Import any ENEX files you have (from Step #1) after the install has completed.  

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Many thanks, it works for me (Win10, Dell XPS 13 9333)

Archived