share notes via email

i have tried to send an email via work chat but the user at the other is prompted to open an account - which they don't want to do and i sent a cc to my email address which I failed to receive

previously you could select a quick action via the share - we now have to go to NOTE - MORE SHARING ETC which is an annoyance for all

Is there a better way - i am a mac user

thanks

Like John rad, I'm trying to share a note with a colleague today and the only way to send it today is via this work chat thing. 

Getting my colleague to use Evernote is NOT going to happen.  So, for me to no longer be able to simply send an email means that it will be harder for me to use Evernote for my own needs while also being able to meet the needs of my colleague.

PLEASE - bring back the straight email this note option.

Thanks,

Melinda

• Level 5*

My understanding is that 5.7.1 changed the behavior of note sharing. Now, instead of sending a note by email, you share an invitation to Work Chat, where the person can access the note. Work Chat provides a lot more functionality (the ability to edit shared notes). I'm glad to see Evernote introducing new functionality, and I am sure many users will benefit from it. 

However, for people like me, who don't want to "chat" with anyone, or require them to sign up for a service to communicate with me, the change is not a welcome one, and I don't want to be forced into recruitment for Evernote. I would much prefer to have options: (1) share a note or (2) share a link. 

That's just my opinion, though. I don't seem to have a link to the release notes anymore (wasn't that in the Help menu?), so I cannot go back and see how this was explained, but I expect it will catch users off guard. I think it would be best if Evernote would explain the changes clearly so that users know what they are getting. 

GrumpyMonkey - I totally agree.  I feel like this make us force our colleagues/friends into Evernote.  I don't like it. 

I understand now that the email funcationality alone is still there, but it's now hidden and much more inconvenient.  I'm not a fan nor do I appreciate it.  It feels sleezy - like some marketing team went "Hey - this will be great.  They'll have to recruit their friends in order to share notes."  

• Level 5*

I see now. We can still share by email in the menu bar: Note -> More Sharing -> Email note. I suspect this will go away at some point. Even if it doesn't, it is certainly well-hidden, and I am not a big fan of that.

According to the Evernote Team, the "Email Note" feature has been deprecated.  The current result is it's a little less convenient to email a note, which is the exact opposite direction you should have gone.  I don't want to be volunteered to join the Evernote sales team by goading my sharees into using your product.  Evernote, don't go all 'Facebook' on us, corralling your users with new features and getting rid of the ones people use.  Sharing notes via email is a CRITICAL feature of your product.  Deprecate it any more and you'll have one less paid user.

• 1 month later...

+1 for frustration with "deprecation" of this feature. 

I get the value of promoting in-app collaboration and chat (all apps eventually want to *kill* email), however, there are a ton of valid use cases where one wants to simply email a note to share without the extraneous overhead for the receiving party.

I'm trying to quickly share a bit of insight I clipped with a friend, not assign them a to do. 

• 1 month later...

This is so lame.  I can't believe you guys (Evernote) are trading user convenience for the creation of a self-serving viral trap.  You should be seriously reconsider this.  The moment I saw this in the new version I knew there would be all kinds of complaints, and there are.  From your POWER USERS!  What a disappointment.

I have to agree here.  I don't understand why everyone doesn't use EN but, that is their prerogative and it isn't my place to hound them to open an account every time I want to forward a note to them by email.  Moving the email feature and making one jump through hoops is inconvenient, burdensome and contrary to how EN users should be treated.  This is especially true for those of us who pay for our EN service.

• Level 5*

I have to agree here.  I don't understand why everyone doesn't use EN but, that is their prerogative and it isn't my place to hound them to open an account every time I want to forward a note to them by email.  Moving the email feature and making one jump through hoops is inconvenient, burdensome and contrary to how EN users should be treated.  This is especially true for those of us who pay for our EN service.

??? You can still share a note by email, the the recipient doesn't need to have an Evernote account to view it. It was as simple -- in the WIndows client anyways -- as right-clicking on a note, selecting Share... / Send By Email..., filling in the email address, and clicking OK . How burdensome is that?

• Level 5*

??? You can still share a note by email, the the recipient doesn't need to have an Evernote account to view it. It was as simple -- in the WIndows client anyways -- as right-clicking on a note, selecting Share... / Send By Email..., filling in the email address, and clicking OK . How burdensome is that?

The point is why make a change when none is needed?

I don't see the harm or inconvenience to anyone to leave the email option where it was.

The previous UI for sending a Note by email is clearly preferred by many users.

It was simpler, less confusing.

@jefito - the earlier part of the thread indicates that the feature has been somewhat deprecated since chat was introduced and that sharing via chat requires the recipient to get an EN account.  Yes, of course you can still share by email but in the Mac version anyway, the function has been moved off the share icon at the top of the note screen which, at least in this thread, has been interpreted to mean that it may be on the way out as a feature.  That, if true, would be unfortunate.  I did not say one can't send a note by email.  I said anything that makes it less convenient is not a benefit in my book.

• Level 5*

I don't understand why everyone doesn't use EN but, that is their prerogative and it isn't my place to hound them to open an account every time I want to forward a note to them by email.

This bit, snipped from your post, made me think that you believed it was a requirement for a share-by-email recipient to be an Evernote user -- if that's not what you meant, then apologies. 

• 2 months later...

It looks like spam and from some free service when you send a note by email.  The no-reply@evernote.com is so very unprofessional.   I have managed to turn many people away from using Evernote and will continue to do as long as this spam method of sharing a note exists.      

On a Mac you can often "share via"  Evernote should let you export your email client and let us email that way instead of forcing us to spam people from a noreply@ email address. 

:angry:

It looks like spam and from some free service when you send a note by email.  The no-reply@evernote.com is so very unprofessional.   I have managed to turn many people away from using Evernote and will continue to do as long as this spam method of sharing a note exists.      

On a Mac you can often "share via"  Evernote should let you export your email client and let us email that way instead of forcing us to spam people from a noreply@ email address. 

:angry:

You've managed to turn people away from using Evernote inadvertently by emailing them notes?... or you're dissuading people from using the product because of this annoyance?

I'm trying to understand how this is spam. Do you personally know these people or are you in fact spamming them?

When someone asks me about Evernote, I recommend they do not use it.  I turn them away as in giving it a bad review.  I do so because I'm angry with Evernote for making it so difficult to share a note now. 

If you want to send someone a note by email,  Evernote makes the sender from address no-reply@evernote.com  To many, this looks like spam.  To make it worse, Evernote ads a tag line to the email you send that says...

" Evernote helps you remember everything and get organized effortlessly. Download Evernote."

This is advertising for Evernote and it is no different from sending an email to a customer and adding a tag line to sell them any other product.   Everytime you use Evernote, your advertising for them.  It is as if you're using a free service and you have an advertisement  version of it. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Not everyone wants to use Evernote to share notes by email,  so it seems a little extreme to give them a totally bad review because you dislike one feature.  And there are ways to share content without using Evernote's email service...

I just wanted to use this to email notes to another email of mine there appears to be no way to do this and it is quite aggravating to have this program to be so limited.

• Level 5*

It's possible to email a note in both Windows and Mac without too much problem.  If you're using the facility a lot I agree it's currently exceptionally clunky to find the right menu and send the mail.  For the occasional mail though I don't see the hassle. Two or three keystrokes and you have your email.  In extreme cases it may be easier to copy and paste the content into a standard email.

A simple note I suppose you can cut and paste, but, PDF files, Images... Stuff Evernote is really good for you can't e-mail without the no-reply@evernote.com address showing up and the tag line advertising they put in the email.    It is very unprofessional and looks like we are using some free service.   Evernote went out of their way to make it harder and to put their adverting in any email you send.   

Use any IOS device or Mac and you can open as, print using or export to another program for sending images, photos, notes and more.  The same should be done with Evernote.  Don't need to use their service to send an e-mail.  The ONLY purpose of this is for Evernote to advertise to everyone you send a note to.   

• Level 5*

For EN Mac and EN Win, I don't see why Evernote does not invoke the default email client, like is done with all of the browsers, and apps like Adobe Acrobat.  This would solve many of the issues.  It would (from Evernote) compose a new email message, with the Subject and contents pre-filled from the Evernote Note.

• 4 months later...

The last email  escaped. I did find a way to just send a note without any complication but what a shame to have to make this kind of shortcut to send a note.

I cut and paste the note onto an email !! Fine but somehow paying for a service and having to improvise is not very useful 

I am making an inventory of items to be sent to a university archive and revise the list every day or change when I find new material I send it out myself or start new files when others get too full. 

is there anything I am missing to just be able to send an evernote to a non member?

• Level 5*

If you are using the Windows desktop. you can customize your toolbar.  Right click in the toolbar at the top of the screen and click customize toolbar and drag the email icon onto the toolbar.  Highlight the note and click the icon and you will get the EN mail dialogue.  On the web click share and email to do the same thing.  Not sure on the Mac.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

No real client for the outbound, EN does that.  However, you need to be a paid member in order for that functionality to work.  Your email client doesn't make any difference.

• 1 month later...

I used to encourage friends to use Evernote but now that we cannot share notes by email I am thinking the utility of this product for collaboration has dropped way down. It puts you through a bunch of steps and then wants you to do a Work Chat with them. That is NOT going to happen. One of the platforms I use still has the email option available but gmail blocks it because it is an unsecured interface. 

I am getting annoyed with all the harassment to sign up for Premium when I cannot see that gives me anything I need. Nag, nag, nag. Have they stopped development and are trying to raise subscriptions so they can sell themselves. Time to start looking for something to convert my Evernotes to, or start printing. 

+1 for providing ability to email an independant email with full content (no requirement for recipient to log into Evernote) - it should be an option for sure - quite a loss

QUESTION: Does Evernote Premium have this feature?     (I'm on Evernote Plus)

• Level 5*

This doesn't cover the specific type of email forwarding I'm talking about i.e. "email an independant email with full content (no requirement for recipient to log into Evernote)"

You might want to re-read the link I provided above.  The last option does *not* require the recipient to use Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...

This feels like early 2000... the email sharing looks so cheap, I can't even believe i'm a paid user... EN includes publicity, an corporate no-reply email and no way of just sharing a note in a PDF in my normal email client!!!! Why is this still such a hard function to have? 

My understanding is that 5.7.1 changed the behavior of note sharing. Now, instead of sending a note by email, you share an invitation to Work Chat, where the person can access the note. Work Chat provides a lot more functionality (the ability to edit shared notes). I'm glad to see Evernote introducing new functionality, and I am sure many users will benefit from it. 

However, for people like me, who don't want to "chat" with anyone, or require them to sign up for a service to communicate with me, the change is not a welcome one, and I don't want to be forced into recruitment for Evernote. I would much prefer to have options: (1) share a note or (2) share a link. 

That's just my opinion, though. I don't seem to have a link to the release notes anymore (wasn't that in the Help menu?), so I cannot go back and see how this was explained, but I expect it will catch users off guard. I think it would be best if Evernote would explain the changes clearly so that users know what they are getting. 

Yes, I also noticed a change in the way a note is shared via email, now being an invitation to Work Chat. I've had pushback from recipients who don't want to sign up for EN just to read my note. Like GrumpyMonkey, even though I like EN and do recommend the app to associates, I don't want to be an unwitting EN pusher.

Does anyone know if this is still the case? I note that this conversation by GM is days under 1 year old, however I have not tried to share a note since the change in functionality was made.

Thanks, but this is not what I'm looking for :

1) Sharing from my email client, so that I can choose from which address I send a note (personal, work, etc.), use my own signature and have the note direcly filed in my sent folder;

2) Sharing a note in a simple PDF format, from the EN Mac or iOs apps (this is so basic);

3) I don't want to chat, send a link or do cut and paste.  If I'm in a meeting and want to share my notes with colleagues, I want to send them an email quickly, from EN, from my work email, with just a PDF attached.  Simple, fast.  Onenote makes that very easy... Make it a paid function, I don't care, but make that happen!

I can see why they wouldn't implement option 1, but it would be a simple thing to allow the user to enter a default reply-to address. That way if the recipient wanted to reply, the sender would get the email.

This would still look like spam to some engines since the sender and the reply-to are different, but it would at least have some usefulness. 

• Level 5*

If you're running EN Mac, you have some great options.

Using either AppleScript or Keyboard Maestro you can easily create a macro that takes one or more selected Notes in Evernote, and sends them via email using your default Mac email app (Apple Mail, Outlook, etc).  IMO, KM is the easiest tool to use for this.

This is how Evernote should have implement "sharing via email", just like all of the web browsers.

I certainly do not want to chat.

Chat is for teenagers or  customer service in the middle of the night. I certainly do not ...  underline not ..... want to invite the people I am in touch with to chat.

Any more then I want to ask them to be friends on Facebook!!!

Most of my contacts are in Europe chatting for me is not an option.

So please just find a way for me to email a message or for me bdirectly from Evernote if not I really can't see paying for a service that i have to cut and paste to use.

huh?? Create MACRO   sorry guys you are way over my head. 

Thank you.

• Level 5*
@merrily2@gmail.com:

One option that may be better for you is to email the Note to yourself, then from your normal email client, forward it to the recipients.

The advantages of this are:

1. Eliminates the need for an address book in Evernote since you're always emailing yourself.
  2. Allows you to use your normal email client address book.
  3. When you do the forward, allows you to easily add comments.
  4. Keeps a record of sent emails
  5. Will give you a failed delivery notice if the recipient email address can't be reached.
  6. and more . . .
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, dyuhas said:

I've tried sharing a note via email (EN Windows) several times and it NEVER worked.

Do you have a Yahoo mail account by chance?   Several user who do have reported they also don't receive the email.  I'd suggest you submit a bug report, with details on how to reproduce the issue.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

Archived