HOWTO: Convert EN notes to Word? [ANSWERED]

Mata Hari

Idea

A big problem with EN is its very poor search capabilities. I usually have to copy over my EN texts to Word in order to make searching easy

F ex I cant search 555 in the number 4555 etc

Long ago, when I still beleived EN was a usefull program, I used to write all text in EN but now I wish to convert all to WORD

Is there a quick method to do it ? Of course , I can just copy and paste each EN note but I have too many such notes.

I want to get out of this mess called Ever Note.

51 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I just noticed that the title of this thread has been changed to append "[NOT POSSIBLE]".

Since you can export EN to HTML, and Word can read HTML, I submit that it is possible.

Perhaps the suffix should be "Solved".

• Level 5*

I just noticed that the title of this thread has been changed to append "[NOT POSSIBLE]".

Since you can export EN to HTML, and Word can read HTML, I submit that it is possible.

Perhaps the suffix should be "Solved".

Thanks JM. How about "answered"?

Take a look at Scrivener, a writing app. It allows you to break book-length documents down into whatever size morsels you prefer and search within the individual pieces or the entire document.

The documents are RTF.

I came to this forum for info from a Google search - but found a less than absorbing discussion (boo hoo for me :).

In the interests of those looking for a solution I observe the following:

Export from Evernote to html or mht formats for Word does not work flawlessly (images may go missing, particularly if they were pasted in from the clipboard in Windows).

Export to pdf seems fine.  MS Word from Office 365 will import and convert a pdf file to a Word file retaining all the images (I had 25 notes in a notebook with various types of image).  It is probably a good idea to Select All and Clear Formatting in Word, then you will have an editable file (although the job will likely be tedious if you have many pages).

It ain't fun but it can be done.  A thorough knowledge of Word's Find/replace and macros would probably help speed things up. In a spirit of sheer boyish enthusiasm I also uploaded it to OneDrive and tried it on my iPad, it retained all the images and can be edited there as well (even more patience required).

I would not recommend this as a regular workflow but if you do have some notes in Evernote that you wanted to re-organize for publication in print, it is possible.

Personally I tend to use Word for word processing and Evernote for note taking - especially useful for conferences, lectures and online events.  Normally, if I was going then to write up something from the notes I would use them as prompts rather than try to export them - they are just notes after all.

This might help someone else.

Hi all, I am a first time forum poster here (queue the "Hi James" collectively from the support group, lol)

I am new to Evernote and i have a question for all the experienced users on this forum. I often spend a few days at a time in a series of meetings and for each day or conference (where I will have up to 7 meetings in a day), I take notes on my ipad in Pages about the questions asked, the responses given and a few other general notes. What I need to be able to do it transfer those notes to my work PC and open them in Word (sorry, is the software used by my company). Very simple docs, no adding photos or web pages etc. Just text with headers and bullet points for the ntoes themselves.

My company is not huge so the ipad is a personal one that I happen to also use for work because it makes my life easier. Hence, I am not paying for MS Office on iPad and I therefore use the free software Apple provides, Pages. One issue is that since my work laptop is a PC, I cannot just copy them but rather have to email to myself bu I can email it as a Word file, which is a Pages functionality that is very useful.

I like having the various meeting notes on my ipad for future reference if I meet the same people in the future and can refer to what we discussed the previous time. Hence, I like to keep a copy on my ipad for reference and it is easy to find them on there when needed.

However, to ensure I have good records and in order to be able to use the content easily when reporting to management on feedback and comments based upon my meetings, I need the documents in Word on my computer.

I tried a simulation of a meeting note file in EN and then emailed to myself and opened on my PC and it was an unreadable mess of characters, with my actual text in there but hard to read. Hence, I came to this forum for advice whether sticking with pages is best or if EN can easily, without doing a conversion to HTML (since via pages I simply tell it to send as email and it asks if I want to do so as a Word file - simple and no technical knowlede needed which suits a tech dummy like me just fine).

Thanks for reading and sorry if my post is a bit long.

• Level 5*

Oh Minkowski you are back!!

Want to clip things from another app? Try clicking on the elephant in your toolbar and then selecting the middle of the 3 icons.

Not sure why I am telling you this as you haven't used EN for a long time (apart from when you've used it to clip)

The Elephant plays nice with Gmail but not with Yahoo mail 

Then I have Mail All on my Mac and it does not work there either 

Of course, you can select as you said but that is not so usefull.
I cannot f ex clip a window that covers more than a screen

I can drag a pdf to EN but I would like a higher level of automatization, f ex a context menu to do that

By the way, it seems that only pdf can be displayed as either attachment or inline (with the full view text) ?

I canno do this with rtf or eml etc

• Level 5*

Well I want to be married to Kylie Minogue.

PDFs and Office docs can be viewed inline. Everything else (apart from images) are attachments, you can use the quick look icon to get a quick preview.

Yes, Kylie is nice and rich. But some things are out of reach in life, although you may dream....
Do you mean I cannot get inline view other than pdf and Office dos  ? not premium either ?

I would request this as a new feature because I like the inline view but not the attachment view

I do not see any use for attachment view What is the point using an attachment view?? I want to save

time by not needing to click on the attachment to open it

• Level 5*

Well I want to be married to Kylie Minogue.

There are some right condescending gits on this forum. Looking at your post count, you need to get out more for some vitamin D.

I look forward to engaging in some really deep meaningful correspondence with you too.

• Level 5*

Yes, Kylie is nice and rich. But some things are out of reach in life, although you may dream....

Do you mean I cannot get inline view other than pdf and Office dos  ? not premium either ?

I would request this as a new feature because I like the inline view but not the attachment view

I do not see any use for attachment view What is the point using an attachment view?? I want to save

time by not needing to click on the attachment to open it

You've got it right - that's how it works at the moment for free and premium users.

I like attachment view as it means I can keep multiple documents in a note without having to do a lot of scrolling. At a guess Evernote don't want to get into a situation where they are having to maintain a myriad of file viewers and so are handling PDF and Office docs and letting the OS (Preview) take care of the rest.

Hello all, 

I feel like I should introduce myself so here goes...

My name is Fr. Michael, I am an Evernote newbie since 2012, I say newbie, because I did not think it would go with my workflow back then, and abandoned the idea. I have now revisited Evernote for the last month trying to give it another shot, and see how to improve my workflow. I am so far happy and content, I am going with the following approach. 

Limited Notebooks (5-6 notebooks) and heavily relying on the tagging feature. So for example, instead of having a "Recipes" notebook, I would rather leverage the use of the "recipe" tag, along with a secondary identifying descriptor tag. 

Here is now where I would like to hear suggestions from the seasoned Evernote users....I do a lot of weekly speaking engagements. Up until a month ago, my workflow was write my brainstorming ideas on paper, and then open up MS Word to begin writing my speech topic. Save it in Dropbox so I can have it on my iPad and refer to it when I am speaking. At times, I would re-open the document from Dropbox into Word (Office 365) (since it's now on the iPad), and make changes, edit, and save back to Dropbox. 

--- (in case anyone is wondering why I don't use OneDrive instead of the Dropbox, had a bad experience with files being overwritten, and I felt Dropbox was more stable)

So evaluating my workflow, these word files are on my Dropbox, and sometimes I want to know what I spoke about a few months ago, or what I referenced, and really I have nothing to go off other than the filename. 

(Cue in giving Evernote another try for this past month)

All of my speaking engagements for 2013 have been inputted into Evernote, by that I mean, I opened each Word Doc, copied and pasted the text into a Note and titled it YYYY-MM-DD Title of Talk, Location and then tagged it with the appropriate topics. 

Questions/Concerns....

Should I just delete all Word files? Is there really a purpose to them, once it is in Evernote?

If I attach the Word Doc, does the content of the Word Doc also get searched, or is that for PDF only (Seems to be this back and forth--someone had mentioned it was only for Premium users, but I was able to search one of my notes that had a PDF attached)

Based on what I see, it doesn't look possible to export EN notes to Word..my only option is html, or PDF. (I always think back to that day when I received an email that Kodak Photo Gallery was shutting down and I had to remove all my images)

Does anyone else have a better workflow to offer/advise that involves Evernote?

Additional Information....

- My notes are not complex, even if it's a project, no more than 2 pages usually of bullet points formatted accordingly. 

- Complex presentations where I want the viewer to see something are usually done in keynote with fancy graphics 

- Evernote selling point for me is "a searchable filing cabinet" so to speak and to go paperless.

Thank you and sorry my OCD-style rant.

I am a little more charitable :)

Yes you are. (Not to diminish that, but so are about 40 gazillion others!)

I think there is some overlap between Word and Evernote, and certainly some between OneNote and Evernote, and for the benefit of people who might stumble across this thread in the future, it doesn't hurt to spell out the differences.

Sure, there's overlap. But really...the end game is certainly not the same. IE formatting docs beautifully vs collecting info from various sources & having it readily available on a multitude of platforms.)

If he were trolling, I'd think he would try to push for OneNote.

No, minky's focus seems to regularly publish to this board about how bad EN is. He/she regularly visits to post his/her dissatisfaction with the app. I have no problem with people who find that Evernote doesn't work for them. (To use Jeff's phrase - that's why there's chocolate & vanilla.) But when someone who truly seems to hate (repeat, HATE) an app and continues to post on the hated app board about how badly it sucks, well...that just smells like trollism to me. If you hate it, fine. Find something that works for you & move on. If you have the time & energy to regularly visit the board to continue to post negative things...well...like I said...trollism...

With respect, if you think Word is an improvement over Evernote for anything other than writing documents, you need to look more closely at it. That is, unless all you need is word processing.

Minkowski has been using Evernote for months (or years), and he/she is not happy with it. It seems minkowski's strong desire is to be able to search character strings within/between words and within individual documents, not within an entire database (across many documents). Limited to that use case, Word is probably better for him/her. On Mac, an even better option for doing this may be Notational Velocity (simple text only).

PETERFMARTIN has suggested Notational Velocity

During the year I tried different word processors and also desktop applications like Indesign etc

My conclusion is that Word and Pdf are best for large text masses.

They have been in the market many years and are now standard.

I would not try any new word processor, it is a waste of time.

The last I tried was EN and I found it of very limited use. In Word I can easily rearrange long document, search, read , edit, format

Word is quite universal too, it works on WIndows and Mac and is readable on any computer.

It is easy to read long document , nohing like EN or Notational Velocity etc.

I do not need to publish it on Internet. But that is possible too, just drag the document to DropBox or other similar solutions (iCloud f ex)

I wonder how come there are people who are using EN with thousands of pages. Maybe you are one of them ? did you give Word a try ?

I don't use Evernote for word processing. I use it to store files of all types, including long documents, because of how much it helps me organize and retrieve things I need. With Evernote, everything is in one place, and I can find anything quickly.

• Level 5*

PETERFMARTIN has suggested Notational Velocity

During the year I tried different word processors and also desktop applications like Indesign etc

My conclusion is that Word and Pdf are best for large text masses.

They have been in the market many years and are now standard.

I would not try any new word processor, it is a waste of time.

The last I tried was EN and I found it of very limited use. In Word I can easily rearrange long document, search, read , edit, format

Word is quite universal too, it works on WIndows and Mac and is readable on any computer.

It is easy to read long document , nohing like EN or Notational Velocity etc.

I do not need to publish it on Internet. But that is possible too, just drag the document to DropBox or other similar solutions (iCloud f ex)

I wonder how come there are people who are using EN with thousands of pages. Maybe you are one of them ? did you give Word a try ?

Hi. It seems that you have decided Evernote is not appropriate for your needs, and while I certainly respect your decision, and wish you luck, I think it would be good for anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future to have a bit more information about the points you raised.

SEARCHES (mentioned in the first post)

Evernote's searches are powerful, but not perfect, and if you need to find "555" in a number string, then it will not work well. However, if you are on a Mac, you can use Spotlight or any number of other searching apps (I prefer HoudahSpot) to search through your entire Evernote database with ease. This is because Evernote saves the files in ENML format, which is a version of HTML, which is itself simply plain text with "tags" inside that tell a browser how to display the content. In short, you don't need to rely on Evernote to search. 

WORD PROCESSORS

Evernote is not a word processor, and if you need to do lots of formatting, then you'd be better off with a dedicated word processing app. That said, I usually do everything in Evernote until the last stage, when I paste it into Word, format it, and publish it.

LONG DOCUMENTS

Why is Word better for long ones? I have found that a few hundred pages causes it all sorts of problems. I don't know why you wouldn't break it up into chapters and sections, but if you insist on creating a document from start to finish in one massive file, then Evernote is fine. You'll have up to 50MB, which is enough for several hundred thousand-page books. Thousands of pages in Word? That would be a massive file, unwieldy, and probably impossible to use on my iPad. I don't really see the benefits of using it for long documents.

UNIVERSALITY

Word is most definitely NOT a "standard," NOT universal (proprietary format that costs money to use), and NOT future-proof. I am not knocking Word. It does what it does well. However, these claims are just plain wrong. In certain industries, most people may be using Word, but that doesn't make it "standard" or "universal." Anyhow, as suggested by Peter, plain-text is the way to go for universality. Notational Velocity is not a word processor. It is an extremely easy to use app that does all sorts of things, but the key is that it saves files in plain text (change the preferences) so you can sync through Dropbox and natively sync with SimpleNote. In other words, Notational Velocity uses a format that is universal and accessible from any text editor. You don't even have to use Notatational Velocity. You can just use Notepad. NV has a nice interface and useful functions a lot of us like. That's all.

WHY EVERNOTE

Evernote is free and accessible from any of the major platforms (universal), exports as HTML (universal), and is easy to use. It isn't perfect (I have plenty of complaints and suggestions scattered throughout the forums), but as an app that literally holds any document format and makes it accessible anywhere, it is unbeatable (in my opinion). If you only work with plain text (most of my work, but not all) then I would take Peter up on his suggestion for NV. If you collect Web Pages, PDF files, Word files, and so forth, why not use Evernote?

Long Documents: My largest Word document is about 200 pages and had no problems. I do not need larger documents in one single file.

Larger documents I split up in several files and keep in different folders.

In the Outline View in Word, it is easy to move arround large pieces of text, i e reorganizing.

I cant do this easily in EN.

Readability: Word has different views so you can experiment which is easier to read. I prefer the Outline View.

Reguarding unformatted text: my experience with such text is that it is hard to read. So as you said, since I like formatting, I will use Word.

In the beginning I had large masses of text in EN and after a while discovered that I tend not to read it.

It is too boring.

You can also write with different aphabets i Word, f ex Arabic or Greek etc Can you do that in EN ?

Searching: Word search / replace capabilities is better than Spotlight. You can even search formattings.

So what is the advantage with EN and similar programs ? to be able to quickly publish the text on the internet ?

I may use it for that, but only few pages. It does not look nice to present to other people, like a web page.

No thousands of pages as you name.

• Level 5*

Hi. Good questions!

Long Documents: My largest Word document is about 200 pages and had no problems. I do not need larger documents in one single file.

I have found Word to be achingly slow at that size. I guess your mileage may vary. More importantly for me, though, a Word document is unavailable on my Android phone, my iPhone, or my iPad. There are workarounds using applications that can read and edit Word files, but content tends to get corrupted, especially if it is formatted. 

Larger documents I split up in several files and keep in different folders.

A good idea. I am not a fan of folders, but I am of smaller files :)

In the Outline View in Word, it is easy to move arround large pieces of text, i e reorganizing.

I cant do this easily in EN.

I find it quite cumbersome, and prefer software like Scrivener for this sort of thing, but your point is well-taken. This inability to rearrange notes (sorting, but no rearranging) has been a problem for me, and it is something I request periodically. 

Readability: Word has different views so you can experiment which is easier to read. I prefer the Outline View.

Not something I find terribly useful, but the more options the better, and Word is full of options.

Reguarding unformatted text: my experience with such text is that it is hard to read. So as you said, since I like formatting, I will use Word.

I find unformatted text easy to read myself. There is plenty of formatting in Evernote, but it is simply a matter of degree. Are you OK with Bold and Italics, or do you need highlighting, Word art, and so forth? If you do, then Word is definitely for you.

In the beginning I had large masses of text in EN and after a while discovered that I tend not to read it.

It is too boring.

Actually, I think Evernote could improve its browsing experience as well. I don't particularly like Word, but I will say that it is nice to have more flexibility in displaying text.

You can also write with different aphabets i Word, f ex Arabic or Greek etc  Can you do that in EN ?

I believe there are some RTL (right to left) languages that are only able to be input using certain browsers with Evernote Web, but otherwise, I am unaware of any limitations. I regularly write in Chinese and Japanese.

Searching: Word search / replace capabilities is better than Spotlight. You can even search formattings.

Replacement is undoubtedly better. As for Word's search abilities, I admit I am not very familiar with them. My understanding is that they pale in comparison to the kind of search capabilites you get with HoudahSpot and other apps that utilize the Spotlight indexes. Again, your mileage may vary.

So what is the advantage with EN and similar programs ? to be able to quickly publish the text on the internet ?

I may use it for that, but only few pages. It does not look nice to present to other people, like a web page.

No thousands of pages as you name.

I think this is your real question. Why use Evernote? In my opinion, Evernote's strength is in storing data. It can hold any file type, it makes that accessible on all major platforms, and it makes it incredibly easy to move data in and out of your account. Notetaking is solid, and for class notes, meeting notes, reading notes, and so forth it is perfectly acceptable. 

I think Evernote stumbles a bit when it comes to writing that requires strict control over the text. Most people wouldn't be affected at all, but if you are a programmer using Evernote for code snippets and so forth, you may run into problems, because Evernote has no plain text option, and formatting irregularities creep into it. If you are a writer/researcher writing an essay/article/book then you may run into problems for the same reason. In my case, I am working on something several hundred pages long, and my formatting requirements are fairly simple -- I don't want any. Formatting problems (lost spacing, additional blank lines, cut/paste issues) have cost me dearly in the past, so I do all of my writing outside of Evernote at the moment. My hope is that Evernote will be able to work through the bugs someday, and I can keep everything inside it. Although Word is somewhat more reliable in this respect, it has some quirks as well, and in my experience, plain text causes fewer headaches.

I know that was a bit long, so I will summarize it: if you intend to take notes and collect things to remember for later, then Evernote is far superior to Word (try clipping Web pages into Word and you will see what I mean). If you intend to write and publish (that seems to be what you are doing), in many cases you will be better off working with a dedicated word processor. 

In my case, Evernote is where I stick everything that is not plain text: PDFs, Word documents, images, etc. This usually works out to be stuff done by other people. Because of the formatting issues (admittedly, these will only affect a few people who need strict control over the text), I am experimenting now with keeping everything I write outside of Evernote in plain text: research journal, todo notes, my long-form writing, etc. This is pretty easy for me to do because of my organizational system (see the link in my signature), even though I would prefer to have everything in one place (Evernote). If you do decide to work in plain text, I recommend Notational Velocity (OSX), Scrivener (OSX), VoodooPad (OSX/iOS), Notesy (iOS), Elements (iOS), and bLADEWiki (Windows).

Gee man ! such long text you send. Try to give short responses. It seems that EN is close to your heart.

I have NOT experienced slow Word with 200 pg documents. Nor was it a problem to move reorganize Word (in Outline View),

Scrivener: I have downloaded and will test it.

It is surprizing me to hear that you find unformatted text easy to read. Never heared that before....

I have seen those formattings in EN and I am not impressed.

EN has bad table capabilities. I also make lists in Word, that I cant do in EN.

I never use CLipart or Word Art etc, which to seem just childish

But the general aspect of Word with its fonts and all kind of headings etc is very nice to look at. Much nicer than EN

I also used OneNote in Windows but that is really a waste of time. There is no need for OneNote when you have WOrd; There is no OneNote for Mac.

All this convinced me that Word suffices for my needs.

FYI, those of us who have been on the board for a long time know dialog with minky is nothing short of repeatedly banging your head against the wall. Which is probably why none of the "veterans" have (until now) posted on this thread. IE, there is not much good to come from comparing Evernote to Word. But if you choose to continue to dialog with him, knock yourself out. (NPI.) OTOH, it's rather like feeding trolls.

• Level 5*

FYI, those of us who have been on the board for a long time know dialog with minky is nothing short of repeatedly banging your head against the wall. Which is probably why none of the "veterans" have (until now) posted on this thread. IE, there is not much good to come from comparing Evernote to Word. But if you choose to continue to dialog with him, knock yourself out. (NPI.) OTOH, it's rather like feeding trolls.

I am a little more charitable :)

I think there is some overlap between Word and Evernote, and certainly some between OneNote and Evernote, and for the benefit of people who might stumble across this thread in the future, it doesn't hurt to spell out the differences. The OP has found something that meets his needs. I don't really have anything more to add to the discussion, except to say that EN is close to my heart, but that doesn't mean I think it is the solution for everyone -- even with my relatively straightforward needs I still have to rely on other software as well to get work done (as mentioned above). I trust, though, that Evernote will work out the bugs :)

If he were trolling, I'd think he would try to push for OneNote. I take the OP at his word (pun intended) that Word really is a better solution for his needs. It has been woefully inadequate for more than a decade now in my case, so I don't really see it, but it is nice to have choices, and I am glad he has found a solution!

I did not invest time and energy here with no other purpose than destructive criticism on EN

I try to understand how you EN addicts use it. You are praising the possibility to have everything available in one place and accessible on internet.

I said I can do it with Dropbox or iCloud. I can copy all my computer content to iCloud or other similar services - although it is not a free service.

But som people are surprizing me when they say f ex that they prefer unformatted text and Word is slow with large files etc

I have also had some suggestions to investigate other programs so that it I did not waist too much time with my posts;

but if it continues on and on with lots of mocking comments I will stop. I am no troll.Do I hate EN ? I think "hate" is not the right word.

I feel dissappointed on it : I have been arround at least 1 year and have not seen any important improvement on EN, no criticism from the users, no feedback, nothing.

Nada. Zilch. I am sure nothing will change 20 years from now. Just small adjustments here and there.

• Level 5*

UNIVERSALITY

Word is most definitely NOT a "standard," NOT universal (proprietary format that costs money to use), and NOT future-proof.

GM, I have to disagree with you about MS Word.

Perhaps Word is not popular in academia, but it is by far the most commonly used word processor in almost all businesses. Every business I have been in, had for a client, or had any association with, has used Word as their primary word processor. A few have experimented with Open Office and Google Docs for employees that don't often need a word processor, but anyone who makes serious use of a word processor uses MS Word.

I have also worked with a number of government agencies over the years, and all of them used Word.

FYI, Microsoft has long offered Word and MS Office for students and academia at highly reduced prices.

I'd say that MS Word is definitely future-proof, at least as long as Microsoft remains in business.

As one of the World's most successful businesses, I'd guess Microsoft is here to stay for a long time. There is a much higher probably of Microsoft surviving than Evernote. And even if Microsoft doesn't, there are many other apps that will read a MS Word file (like Open Office, for example).

With regards to your personal problems with using Word on the Mac, this might be due to either your hardware, or older versions of Word. Microsoft completely re-wrote Office Mac with version 2011, and it is very, very snappy. In fact, I find it even faster than Word 2007 on my high-end Windows laptop. Over my many years I've never found it to be slow. But I would agree with you that it is better, IMO, to break long documents up into smaller, logical files, like chapters or sections. Word even supports this with the use of a master document that links to all of the parts.

Word is a very powerful word processor if you take the time to learn how to use it. The use of Styles, tables, and embedded blocks (like from Excel) make it incredibly powerful. I'm amazed that many people do not know how to use Styles, which greatly simplifies the formatting and maintenance of any document. The use of auto-numbered styles makes it very easy to write complex documents with many sections and sub-sections. Finally the use of macros, from the simple recorded ones, to complex VBA procedures, really add to Word's ability to automate and simply many workflows.

I am by no means a Microsoft fanboy. I really don't like the ribbon interface they forced on everyone back in 2007, nor do I like the multitude of features they have added that few people seem to want or need. But the core product remains very powerful, as it has been for at least 20 years.

• Level 5*

Minki, may favourite forummer - welcome back!!!

I thought you'd decided that Word was the ONLY and BEST note capture tool for your needs. So glad you have returned to share your witty repartee and detailed and intelligent criticism.

This is particularly awesome

I have been arround at least 1 year and have not seen any important improvement on EN, no criticism from the users, no feedback, nothing.

Nada. Zilch. I am sure nothing will change 20 years from now. Just small adjustments here and there.

You have been greatly missed.

(thanks for the Bat Call N)

• Level 5*

Not much to say here JM. Word is great for creating documents, as I said, but it is neither effective as a database nor as a place to stick web clippings, photos, pdfs, or thousands of journal entries.

The OP is advocating that we take a carving knife and use it as a hammer. He is also apparently trying to take a bucket (Evernote), use it as a carving knife, and complain here about how poorly it performs. Mixed metaphors, but you get the point.

You are praising the possibility to have everything available in one place and accessible on internet.

I said I can do it with Dropbox or iCloud.

You can search text in images you put in Dropbox or iCloud?

I have been arround at least 1 year and have not seen any important improvement on EN, no criticism from the users, no feedback, nothing.

I guess you haven't read any of GrumpyMonkey, JMichael's or my posts.

Thus said GrumpyMoney

M. Word is great for creating documents, as I said, but it is neither effective as a database nor as a place to stick web clippings, photos, pdfs, or thousands of journal entries.

I am not sure any more what exactly you mean. I can paste into EN a pdf or word file etc But then I need to open them just as if it was placed in DropBox

Reguarding Photos:

Dropbox has some viewer capabilities , it is very easy to place all my photos in DropBox.

So how do I use pics and EN ? I have thousands of pics and videos.

But iCloud has some solutions that I am investigating ; I would like to use iPhoto on the web.

what is the difference to DropBox method of saving files ?

Then I also have music files. Do you mean you place your music files into EN ???

• Level 5*

Thus said GrumpyMoney

M. Word is great for creating documents, as I said, but it is neither effective as a database nor as a place to stick web clippings, photos, pdfs, or thousands of journal entries.

I am not sure any more what exactly you mean. I can paste into EN a pdf or word file etc But then I need to open them just as if it was placed in DropBox

Reguarding Photos:

Dropbox has some viewer capabilities , it is very easy to place all my photos in DropBox.

So how do I use pics and EN ? I have thousands of pics and videos.

But iCloud has some solutions that I am investigating ; I would like to use iPhoto on the web.

what is the difference to DropBox method of saving files ?

Then I also have music files. Do you mean you place your music files into EN ???

I was talking about Word, which you recommended as a replacement for Evernote. Now, you seem to be recommending Dropbox as a replacement. I use both Word and Dropbox, but I do not see how the two are related within the context of this discussion, and neither of them is a viable alternative for Evernote, in my opinion. If they work for you, then that is great :)

There are many threads in which we talk about differences between Dropbox and Evernote. I'll just mention some of the basic ones: the ability to search the content of files, the ability to tag files, the ability to incorporate them into your notes, the ability to use them offline, etc, etc. You can search for other distinctions if you want to know more.

• Level 5*

Hoping that the movie is feature length, Nova grabs a bag of popcorn

LOL. Nothing to see here. Move along and go about your business :)

I think the Evernote application is pretty straightforward and easy to grasp, but whatever the OP's intentions, the fact is that many users have difficulty distinguishing it from other "cloud" services, or seeing how the app could help them with their own unique situations. It's good to talk this stuff out and get a better sense of what Evernote can and can't do. Evernote could do a better job of distinguishing itself (we need a place on the Evernote site to point users with these questions).

There is also a mistaken impression out there that forum members are adoring fans without perspective, but my sense is that most of us, including the developers, recognize that there are plenty of opportunities out there for Evernote to improve. Hopefully the OP can offer concrete suggestions for this as well.

Archived