Evernote - a bit of positivity

I visit this Forum from time to time. Usually it is when I need some help learning. For example, how to do a specific search, some GTD help, etc. Browsing the Forums, I am always stunned by the huge amount of negativity here. Without fail there is usually an "I'm done with Evernote..." or "What are the alternatives..." etc. It is nice to see people jump in and defend Evernote, but there are not a lot of posts that start with some positivitiy. I have personally come and gone with Evernote over the years, and have had my share of frustration, even going to Obsidian for a year, but I came back at the start of this year and could not be happier. I think Bending Spoons is doing a fine job.

So my question - what is your favourite thing in the "new" Evernote?

Mine is the new implementation of Tasks and, specificially, the Task view. I use it every day and supplement it with Tasks (with dates) in Google Calendar.

What's yours?

• Like 8

Same as you tasks. I used to use Todoist but moved everything into EN around a year ago and never looked back. 

Saved a subscription as well. 

I have the today view in the task pain open in Evernote web on my right hand monitor all day. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Same as you tasks. I used to use Todoist but moved everything into EN around a year ago and never looked back. 

Saved a subscription as well.

Exactly my situation as well.  We struggled with some tasks glitches as they were working through Rent, but it seems to have settled now, and I find recurring tasks very useful.

I didn’t think I would find it useful, but seeing tasks on the calendar view is helpful.

I’m still searching for a use case for Files though … 🙂

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Yeah I think files may get hidden once the sidebar customisation arrives. Together with tags 😉 

Do you know when the Sidebar customisation might arrive? That will be incredibly useful.

37 minutes ago, dagbo said:

Do you know when the Sidebar customisation might arrive? That will be incredibly useful.

As far as I know it's weeks rather than months as long as nothing halts it for any reason. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Instead of UI chichi I am waiting for iCal integration. With iOS 18 / MacOS 15 I get a full integration of Reminders, Calendar and Notes,  free of charge. With all the new Apple AI functions that will roll out in the next months, free of charge and mainly on device.

On the other hand I can’t use the Calendar on EN, can’t integrate Tasks and have a nonsense Daily Note which is plain useless without showing my calendar entries.

So either they get it solved, or I get it solved …

Just my priorities - I would rather like to get a chance to USE everything in the sidebar, instead of hiding stuff.

But of course, much easier to have the intern programmer hide them than have a team go down the hard road.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Instead of UI chichi I am waiting for iCal integration.

There is nothing wrong with wanting both 🙂.  Hiding unused content in the sidebar does seem to generate some discussion here and is pretty low-hanging fruit for the programmers to add.  It is not high on my list, but I'll use it when it'simplemented.

5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

With all the new Apple AI functions that will roll out in the next months

The new enhancements to Notes is making that a compelling competitor for those on the Apple platform.

I'm curious to see if their new password app will be a reasonable replacement to 1Password.  I wouldn't mind dropping another subscription.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The password app seems to be pretty basic. Example: You can add only 1 URL to a user/password combination, not more than 1. And it seems you can’t edit the URL once it was created. Just an example, I am sure there is more. 

The new app is probably good to make managing stuff easier that is on the keychain already, and maybe for some new stuff as well. But I doubt it will be able to replace a feature rich app like 1Password.

• Like 1
13 horas atrás, dagbo disse:

So my question - what is your favourite thing in the "new" Evernote?

Mine is the new implementation of Tasks and, specificially, the Task view. I use it every day and supplement it with Tasks (with dates) in Google Calendar.

What's yours?

All the latest updates from Evernote are pretty cool, but honestly, there’s nothing I’m really in love with. On the other hand, there are two simple things I’m still waiting for them to add:
1 - The ability to sort by notebook, size, and tag in the note list (this was possible in legacy)
2 - The ability to change the image that appears in the note preview

• Like 3
  • Level 5

My favorite recent addition is the transcribing of text in images. I have a great app on my phone called Text Fairy that does fine OCR from existing pics, or by taking a snap of a document. But it's getting to be easier to just insert a pic into a note and then let Evernote transcribe it. The accuracy has been phenomenal so far. Of course, all that is with text in English.

• Like 2

My favorite feature is tasks: the way tasks can be added inside notes, and can be flagged and get due dates, and most importantly can be listed as a separate compact overview 👍 But unfortunately I can't use Evernote anymore - after they broke the formatting - as I need the ability to share notes as PDF and/or print 😢

• Sad 1